FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Lambda variant (south America covid)

Lambda variant (south America covid)

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oncupiscent_dream OP   Man  over a year ago

City

First lab results are out. It's more contagious than delta, and it bypasses vaccine immune response. - quote -

Lambda variant shows vaccine resistance

The Lambda variant of the coronavirus, first identified in Peru and now spreading in South America, is highly infectious and more resistant to vaccines than the original version of the virus that emerged from Wuhan, China, Japanese researchers have found. In laboratory experiments, they found that three mutations in Lambda's spike protein, known as RSYLTPGD246-253N, 260 L452Q and F490S, help it resist neutralization by vaccine-induced antibodies. Two additional mutations, T76I and L452Q, help make Lambda highly infectious, they found. In a paper posted on Wednesday on bioRxiv ahead of peer review, the researchers warn that with Lambda being labeled a "Variant of Interest" by the World Health Organization, rather than a "Variant of Concern," people might not realize it is a serious ongoing threat. Although it is not clear yet whether this variant is more dangerous than the Delta now threatening populations in many countries, senior researcher Kei Sato of the University of Tokyo believes "Lambda can be a potential threat to the human society."

Reply privately (thread closed by moderator)

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

Is that a dance ha ha

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'd better get my toilet roll stash topped up!

"Is that a dance ha ha "

I was thinking the same.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

The data from Chile and Peru specifically state that the Lambda variant evades vaccine induced immunity from CoronaVac, which is one of the Chinese whole-virus "traditional" vaccines. It already had relatively poor efficacy against other variants and so this is not unexpected.

More interesting would be how the Western vaccines hold up against it.

The concern is that most of Latin America, the Middle East and increasingly, Africa, have used free CoronaVac, handed out by China, and that the countries that have used it could become spreading grounds for variants such as this.

Abu Dhabi has already reversed some of its restriction relaxations because of increased cases. They have mainly used CoronaVac.

By *astlincscoupleCouple  over a year ago

Tinsel Town

As predicted.

Give it another 3 months and another variant will appear.

Most folks have lost interest now.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"The data from Chile and Peru specifically state that the Lambda variant evades vaccine induced immunity from CoronaVac, which is one of the Chinese whole-virus "traditional" vaccines. It already had relatively poor efficacy against other variants and so this is not unexpected.

The concern is that most of Latin America, the Middle East and increasingly, Africa, have used free CoronaVac, handed out by China, and that the countries that have used it could become spreading grounds for variants such as this.

Abu Dhabi has already reversed some of its restriction relaxations because of increased cases. They have mainly used CoronaVac."

Do we know if the vaccine evasion is B cell based or T cell based?

I know the former is much easier to measure (Shane Crotty says 30x?) but if Crotty's work is correct/ if I understand it, it's the T cell immunity which is really key here, and it's less likely to be evaded than antibodies.

Or is this all Greek to me?

Manchester (she/her)

"As predicted.

"

Virus hasn't lost interest in hosts, though

By *astlincscoupleCouple  over a year ago

Tinsel Town

"As predicted.

Virus hasn't lost interest in hosts, though "

The human species will always be susceptible to viruses.

Nothing new.

"highly infectious and more resistant than the original virus originating in Wuhan"

So is literally every other variant of concern... Don't know why we're still comparing it to the original when there's been like a bazillion mutations by now?

By *orsetCouple777Couple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

"As predicted.

Virus hasn't lost interest in hosts, though "

What did you do with your days before Covid?

Manchester (she/her)

"As predicted.

What did you do with your days before Covid?"

If you don't like my posts you're welcome to scroll on by

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

""highly infectious and more resistant than the original virus originating in Wuhan"

So is literally every other variant of concern... Don't know why we're still comparing it to the original when there's been like a bazillion mutations by now? "

I agree with this. By the time the OP had cut and paste his quote, there will have been several more mutations of the virus each more severe than the other.

And like we have done for decades with viruses, we manage it.

By *ark Knight 2017Man  over a year ago

Ware

Yawn.

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

"As predicted.

Nothing new. "

Does this mean the end is close for the virus forum.

Will we be discussing variants for years and years....

By *ik MMan  over a year ago

Lancashire

There are hundreds of thousands of variants of Covid-19, many yet to be discovered. It is entirely normal for some of these to be better at spreading than others - but a terrified population doesn’t understand this.

So someone finds one and gives it a name: preferably an exotic name or align it to a country or region with a struggling health system then announce that you have found a 'dangerous new variant’

Express your fear that the vaccine may be less effective against it. Don’t worry if there’s no evidence! The pharmaceutical industry will happily promise to come up with special variant resistant jabs.

Use all the tricks of behavioural science to terrify people - make sure they won't be able to think straight!

Do more testing for variants than most of the rest of the world combined, ensuring there’s plenty of evidence of your variant spreading in the UK.

Important: start work on the next variant ASAP!

Don’t give people time to see that the first didn’t amount to anything like the devastation you predicted before you hit them with the next…

Rinse and repeat, over and over

By *an JuniperoCouple  over a year ago

North East

New variant o’clock already? Remarkable!

Our money was on it being the “Euro 2020” variant where we could blame everyone who ever went to a football match. Never mind. Thanks a lot Peru!

Flintshire

"As predicted.

Flintshire

"As predicted.

Nothing new.

Does this mean the end is close for the virus forum.

Will we be discussing variants for years and years.... "

Oh please please please

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

""highly infectious and more resistant than the original virus originating in Wuhan"

So is literally every other variant of concern... Don't know why we're still comparing it to the original when there's been like a bazillion mutations by now?

I agree with this. By the time the OP had cut and paste his quote, there will have been several more mutations of the virus each more severe than the other.

"

Or one day we won't manage it.

When lobsters are being boiled alive they don't notice it until it's too late. 18 months ago people said "it's only a few dead, they're all in some foreign country, we can ignore it". Now it's over 4 million world wide, 130 thousand just in the UK (yeah yeah, I know that 4 of them were really road accidents and one was a parachute that didn't open), and the cost runs into trillions.

So at what point would you notice that it's actually quite serious, and it's still getting worse? Ten million dead? (probably already happened, taking into account the countries where no one writes out death certificates). When it gets to a million just in the UK? When your neighbours on the left lose a member of the family? When most people on your street have lost family members? When you lose your own family members? Or not until you personally are one of the people using their last breath to still deny that covid has killed anyone?

When lobsters are being boiled alive they don't notice it until it's too late. 18 months ago people said "it's only a few dead, they're all in some foreign country, we can ignore it". Now it's over 4 million world wide, 130 thousand just in the UK (yeah yeah, I know that 4 of them were really road accidents and one was a parachute that didn't open), and the cost runs into trillions.

So at what point would you notice that it's actually quite serious, and it's still getting worse? Ten million dead? (probably already happened, taking into account the countries where no one writes out death certificates). When it gets to a million just in the UK? When your neighbours on the left lose a member of the family? When most people on your street have lost family members? When you lose your own family members? Or not until you personally are one of the people using their last breath to still deny that covid has killed anyone?"

I just meant why not compare it to the most concerning one to date, like the delta variant. Comparing to the original virus renders statistics like this quite moot because it has changed so much since it emerged.

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

"As predicted.

Please let the answer be "I worked in virology research for 32 years"

*prays.....

E

Manchester (she/her)

"As predicted.

Please let the answer be "I worked in virology research for 32 years"

*prays.....

E"

Don't think they employ three year old research fellows, somehow

Stockport

"As predicted.

"

Personally, before covid I didn't have to spend time worrying about the probability of my father dying if he gets exposed to a dangerous virus that is spreading uncontrollably due to the actions of a minority of fuckwits in the population who treat death of loved ones like a joke. It's not big or clever to yawn and snigger when millions of people are seriously ill, it's just pathetic.

There are contributors to these forums that have watched people they love die in agony because of their lungs filling up with their own bodily fluids, and you actually laugh at them? My god, would you sit at a funeral giggling?

You know that covid is real, you know that it spreads like wildfire, you know that the death toll is too large for your brains to comprehend, you know that there will be millions with severe disabling illness and much reduced lifespans. Yet you mock people that do understand what is going on, that have concern for others, that do try to help in some way or other.

You congratulate each other on being so totally without fellow feeling that you not just refuse simple steps that could slow the passing on of this virus, but you actively glory in the fact of increasing the spread.

Shame, shame, and more shame upon you, all of you who make light of the ongoing epidemic, who laugh about the ones currently dying, who find it amusing to mock anyone that does care. You reveal the shallowness of your personalities, the emptiness within yourselves, the worthlessness of yourselves.

I accuse no-one by name. You know who you are. You accuse yourselves by your own words. Perhaps god will have mercy upon you, because the millions of dead across the world certainly will not.

Is this related to the Peckham strain or the the more contagious Boysie variant?

I heard two brothers were hospitalised by the aggressive Dinsdale virus, yes its getting that bad out there now its ridiculous.

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

So at what point would you notice that it's actually quite serious, and it's still getting worse? Ten million dead? (probably already happened, taking into account the countries where no one writes out death certificates). When it gets to a million just in the UK? When your neighbours on the left lose a member of the family? When most people on your street have lost family members? When you lose your own family members? Or not until you personally are one of the people using their last breath to still deny that covid has killed anyone?"

Think I would realise something was a bit wrong if I was about to be boiled in a pot.

I'm not a lawyer but I think it's illegal to heave someone into a pot of boiling water.

But carry on, I do love your rambles.

Stockport

So at what point would you notice that it's actually quite serious, and it's still getting worse? Ten million dead? (probably already happened, taking into account the countries where no one writes out death certificates). When it gets to a million just in the UK? When your neighbours on the left lose a member of the family? When most people on your street have lost family members? When you lose your own family members? Or not until you personally are one of the people using their last breath to still deny that covid has killed anyone?

Think I would realise something was a bit wrong if I was about to be boiled in a pot.

I'm not a lawyer but I think it's illegal to heave someone into a pot of boiling water.

But carry on, I do love your rambles. "

Yeah thing is, if you put lobsters in cold water and then put the pot on the hot ring, they never notice that they're going to die until it's too late.

I quite enjoy a bit of rambling. Eyam in Derbyshire is a nice place to ramble around. I wonder whether the locals will be holding their Plague Sunday celebration at the end of August this year?

City

"The data from Chile and Peru specifically state that the Lambda variant evades vaccine induced immunity from CoronaVac, which is one of the Chinese whole-virus "traditional" vaccines. It already had relatively poor efficacy against other variants and so this is not unexpected.

Abu Dhabi has already reversed some of its restriction relaxations because of increased cases. They have mainly used CoronaVac."

Japan used Pfizer antibodies in their research they did not use coronavac. This is a genetic study of the virus from Japan, not a data crunch of stats from Chile.

They did point to Chile having an outbreak as "real world proof" of vaccine evasion. However their paper wa not about that.

By *dam_TinaCouple  over a year ago

Hampshire

"As predicted.

Personally, before covid I didn't have to spend time worrying about the probability of my father dying if he gets exposed to a dangerous virus that is spreading uncontrollably due to the actions of a minority of fuckwits in the population who treat death of loved ones like a joke. It's not big or clever to yawn and snigger when millions of people are seriously ill, it's just pathetic.

There are contributors to these forums that have watched people they love die in agony because of their lungs filling up with their own bodily fluids, and you actually laugh at them? My god, would you sit at a funeral giggling?

You know that covid is real, you know that it spreads like wildfire, you know that the death toll is too large for your brains to comprehend, you know that there will be millions with severe disabling illness and much reduced lifespans. Yet you mock people that do understand what is going on, that have concern for others, that do try to help in some way or other.

You congratulate each other on being so totally without fellow feeling that you not just refuse simple steps that could slow the passing on of this virus, but you actively glory in the fact of increasing the spread.

Shame, shame, and more shame upon you, all of you who make light of the ongoing epidemic, who laugh about the ones currently dying, who find it amusing to mock anyone that does care. You reveal the shallowness of your personalities, the emptiness within yourselves, the worthlessness of yourselves.

I accuse no-one by name. You know who you are. You accuse yourselves by your own words. Perhaps god will have mercy upon you, because the millions of dead across the world certainly will not."

Standing ovation

Flintshire

"As predicted.

I accuse no-one by name. You know who you are. You accuse yourselves by your own words. Perhaps god will have mercy upon you, because the millions of dead across the world certainly will not.

Standing ovation "

Tell you what try standing by and watching a partner 52yrs young dying of cancer .... stand by and watch that partner die In Your arms ..... that’s the great injustice .... try giving that a go a man who fought for his country reduced to tears cos of the pain ..., tryi watching that for a change ehhhh

"First lab results are out. It's more contagious than delta, and it bypasses vaccine immune response. - quote -

The Lambda variant of the coronavirus, first identified in Peru and now spreading in South America, is highly infectious and more resistant to vaccines than the original version of the virus that emerged from Wuhan, China, Japanese researchers have found. In laboratory experiments, they found that three mutations in Lambda's spike protein, known as RSYLTPGD246-253N, 260 L452Q and F490S, help it resist neutralization by vaccine-induced antibodies. Two additional mutations, T76I and L452Q, help make Lambda highly infectious, they found. In a paper posted on Wednesday on bioRxiv ahead of peer review, the researchers warn that with Lambda being labeled a "Variant of Interest" by the World Health Organization, rather than a "Variant of Concern," people might not realize it is a serious ongoing threat. Although it is not clear yet whether this variant is more dangerous than the Delta now threatening populations in many countries, senior researcher Kei Sato of the University of Tokyo believes "Lambda can be a potential threat to the human society.""

don’t worry ; we have a selection of boosters on the way for all the letters in the Greek Alphabet!

By *evoncream2017Couple  over a year ago

exeter

Any good news ? Anyone ….

"As predicted.

I wish you could have heard the snort I made when I read this comment haha

"First lab results are out. It's more contagious than delta, and it bypasses vaccine immune response. - quote -

The Lambda variant of the coronavirus, first identified in Peru and now spreading in South America, is highly infectious and more resistant to vaccines than the original version of the virus that emerged from Wuhan, China, Japanese researchers have found. In laboratory experiments, they found that three mutations in Lambda's spike protein, known as RSYLTPGD246-253N, 260 L452Q and F490S, help it resist neutralization by vaccine-induced antibodies. Two additional mutations, T76I and L452Q, help make Lambda highly infectious, they found. In a paper posted on Wednesday on bioRxiv ahead of peer review, the researchers warn that with Lambda being labeled a "Variant of Interest" by the World Health Organization, rather than a "Variant of Concern," people might not realize it is a serious ongoing threat. Although it is not clear yet whether this variant is more dangerous than the Delta now threatening populations in many countries, senior researcher Kei Sato of the University of Tokyo believes "Lambda can be a potential threat to the human society." don’t worry ; we have a selection of boosters on the way for all the letters in the Greek Alphabet!"

I’ve read that alphabetti spaghetti is going to be the treatment of choice.

They’ve got 57 varieties lined up.

"As predicted.

Standing ovation

Tell you what try standing by and watching a partner 52yrs young dying of cancer .... stand by and watch that partner die In Your arms ..... that’s the great injustice .... try giving that a go a man who fought for his country reduced to tears cos of the pain ..., tryi watching that for a change ehhhh "

Yeah, my husband died of leukaemia at 50, leaving behind our 6 boys. ((Hugs)) cancer is shit

By *extus1951Man  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

Any valid point you may have had was drowned out by your sickening sanctimony.

City

"

I know the former is much easier to measure (Shane Crotty says 30x?) but if Crotty's work is correct/ if I understand it, it's the T cell immunity which is really key here, and it's less likely to be evaded than antibodies.

Or is this all Greek to me? "

As far as I know the Japanese research was based on Sera with mRNA vaccine antibodies. I believe specifically Pfizer. That's what it says anyway. I don't believe they looked at immune responses in real living animals or humans.

Basically Japan thought in theory it would evade current vaccine antibodies by looking at the gnomes etc, they tested that theory and indeed it did in a lab setting. They then looked at real world figures and it's evading antibodies in South america, giving them concern their lab results will translate to real world.

As we know the real world is different, but they want it updated to variant of concern so those questions can be answered.

The South

"As predicted.

Standing ovation "

I cannot applaud this loudly enough. Well said.

E

The South

"As predicted.

I wish you could have heard the snort I made when I read this comment haha "

Deriding someone who speaks for doing the right thing.

Awesome.

E

"As predicted.

Awesome.

E"

Calm down love, it made me chuckle on this otherwise grim day. Yes, I am pretty awesome, thanks

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

So is literally every other variant of concern... Don't know why we're still comparing it to the original when there's been like a bazillion mutations by now? "

Yes. I am also questioning it, it seems strange as well.

"As predicted.

Awesome.

E"

A PCR pandemic followed by a Pandemic of variants ! I wonder what’s in store for the grand finale !

By *ik MMan  over a year ago

Lancashire

"As predicted.

Awesome.

E

Calm down love, it made me chuckle on this otherwise grim day. Yes, I am pretty awesome, thanks "

Me too…and I actually know the answer

The South

"As predicted.

Awesome.

E

Calm down love, it made me chuckle on this otherwise grim day. Yes, I am pretty awesome, thanks "

It's great that you have a fan base.

E

By *eedsmale36Man  over a year ago

Leeds

"Any good news ? Anyone …. "

I’m in Exeter tomorrow for work, please tell me it’s going to be sunny

North East

"As predicted.

"

Absolutely no one has sniggered or laughed or saw the deaths of anyone has a joke. I imagine there’s plenty laughing at your complete implosion though. Top marks for passion but that rant was just bordering on slanderous by the end

The South

"As predicted.

Absolutely no one has sniggered or laughed or saw the deaths of anyone has a joke. I imagine there’s plenty laughing at your complete implosion though. Top marks for passion but that rant was just bordering on slanderous by the end "

I think she pretty much nailed it to be fair.

From the Covid deniers to the anti vaxxers and whackadoodle conspiracy theorists, through to those playing deadly illness top trumps, there are some delightful people in these very forums.

E

North East

"As predicted.

Absolutely no one has sniggered or laughed or saw the deaths of anyone has a joke. I imagine there’s plenty laughing at your complete implosion though. Top marks for passion but that rant was just bordering on slanderous by the end

From the Covid deniers to the anti vaxxers and whackadoodle conspiracy theorists, through to those playing deadly illness top trumps, there are some delightful people in these very forums.

E"

Disagree. Had a meltdown and just started fabricating things that never happened.

The South

"As predicted.

E

Disagree. Had a meltdown and just started fabricating things that never happened. "

Your first day in the Virus forum?

E

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"

Mutations happen all the time and many become dead ends, as they offer no advantages against the prior form. The variants that are being observed for and monitored for their effects, are typically combinations of several mutations, that confer greater advantages to the virus in infectivity levels, disease severity, immune system evasion etc.

You say 'we manage it', 'as we have done for decades'. And yet this pandemic has affected the world very differently to the last hundred years - maybe you've been distracted

It's been a catastrophic 18 months, more so for some countries, typically where the leaders referred to as like flu, leaving citizens to sink or swim by chance - especially sinking. Where the dangers are played down, people take no care, the virus finds it easy to take hold.

Having reference points is certainly valid, as there would be no other way to make comparisons, whether it's of where the specific mutations occurred on the virus and what's changed - which gives clarity to the likely risks that we face - as well as allowing vaccine manufacturers to predict and possibly plan for adjustments.

We could ignore changes and do nothing, remaining ignorant and vulnerable. Most people will see that as plainly foolhardy and reckless.

North East

"As predicted.

E

Disagree. Had a meltdown and just started fabricating things that never happened.

Your first day in the Virus forum?

E"

Come again?

Flintshire

"As predicted.

Standing ovation

Tell you what try standing by and watching a partner 52yrs young dying of cancer .... stand by and watch that partner die In Your arms ..... that’s the great injustice .... try giving that a go a man who fought for his country reduced to tears cos of the pain ..., tryi watching that for a change ehhhh

Yeah, my husband died of leukaemia at 50, leaving behind our 6 boys. ((Hugs)) cancer is shit "

Big hugs

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

So what would you like me to do about it?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"As predicted.

I accuse no-one by name. You know who you are. You accuse yourselves by your own words. Perhaps god will have mercy upon you, because the millions of dead across the world certainly will not."

It's saddening that I see so many people who don't care and who seem intent on attacking others who are merely offering positive support. It's sickening.

Manchester (she/her)

"

Or is this all Greek to me?

As far as I know the Japanese research was based on Sera with mRNA vaccine antibodies. I believe specifically Pfizer. That's what it says anyway. I don't believe they looked at immune responses in real living animals or humans.

Basically Japan thought in theory it would evade current vaccine antibodies by looking at the gnomes etc, they tested that theory and indeed it did in a lab setting. They then looked at real world figures and it's evading antibodies in South america, giving them concern their lab results will translate to real world.

As we know the real world is different, but they want it updated to variant of concern so those questions can be answered. "

Hmm. I'll reserve judgement until there's further information, I think.

Stockport

"As predicted.

E

Disagree. Had a meltdown and just started fabricating things that never happened. "

Please list all the things in my post that never happened. I will wait with interest. Best regards, Polly

North East

"As predicted.

E

Please list all the things in my post that never happened. I will wait with interest. Best regards, Polly"

“population who treat death of loved ones like a joke”

“You actually laugh at them”

“Laugh at the ones currently dying

No evidence of that happening in this thread is there? Or any others that I’ve seen for that matter.

By *tingly ByronMan  over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"As predicted.

E

Please list all the things in my post that never happened. I will wait with interest. Best regards, Polly"

Don't hold your breath.

I've seen the attitudes and behaviours you highlighted every single day on threads in the Virus forum.

How people can say "They/that never happened" is beyond me.

I dare say if you looked through this very thread you'd see examples of it.

That people belittle those doing their damndest to protect themselves and others is appalling.

Vulgar vultures, circling, looking for something or someone to pooh pooh.

By *100Man  over a year ago

Essex

Think I’ll leave this one alone before I get told off

By *tingly ByronMan  over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"As predicted.

E

Please list all the things in my post that never happened. I will wait with interest. Best regards, Polly

“population who treat death of loved ones like a joke”

“You actually laugh at them”

“Laugh at the ones currently dying

No evidence of that happening in this thread is there? Or any others that I’ve seen for that matter.

S Wonder esq"

By *entleman JackMan  over a year ago

Loughborough

ABSOLUTE NONSENSE! The science labs have had the biggest wet dream in the last couple of years, loads of new equipment, staff, and more money thrown at them than they could ever imagine. And more than this, they have had power, control and influence. OF COURSE they want to keep this going at any price, they don't want a return to obscurity once Covid fizzles out, so they keep pretending to find "new variants" to keep their dream running a little longer!