FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Just had a thought...

Just had a thought...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Aside from the obvious catastrophe, this virus and most conditions that come with it are excellent preparation for old age?

Not counting of course the role of key-workers in this reality; but for everyone else a sudden ocean of free-time, which day of the week it is largely ceasing to matter, genuine concern for one's health, a visiting of a supermarket rapidly becoming a highlight of a social calendar, truly valuing a period of exercise in the daylight hours, putting loudly at gangs of feckless youths congregating as they usually do, driving just for essentials and completely able to do it like you're driving on a sunday every day. And with the modern twist of regularly having children (albeit your own!) with you during the day so the key workers can carry on with their essential roles. And sadly too for a lot of OAPS the feelings of isolation that many will indeed feel.

If any further evidence were needed, look at the two main hobbies that we seem to have suddenly paid particular mind to; gardening and baking!

Lessons can be learned from this for one's future though; unlike a lot of genuine pensioners we are fortunate enough that we have in the main no problems whatsoever in using up to date technology to keep in touch with others. If I'd take one thing on board to prepare me for a lot of this lifestyle in say 40 years time if I'm lucky enough to still be around, then it would be to keep abreast of technological developments for when in theory I'll need them more than ever?

B

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"Aside from the obvious catastrophe, this virus and most conditions that come with it are excellent preparation for old age?

Not counting of course the role of key-workers in this reality; but for everyone else a sudden ocean of free-time, which day of the week it is largely ceasing to matter, genuine concern for one's health, a visiting of a supermarket rapidly becoming a highlight of a social calendar, truly valuing a period of exercise in the daylight hours, putting loudly at gangs of feckless youths congregating as they usually do, driving just for essentials and completely able to do it like you're driving on a sunday every day. And with the modern twist of regularly having children (albeit your own!) with you during the day so the key workers can carry on with their essential roles. And sadly too for a lot of OAPS the feelings of isolation that many will indeed feel.

If any further evidence were needed, look at the two main hobbies that we seem to have suddenly paid particular mind to; gardening and baking!

Lessons can be learned from this for one's future though; unlike a lot of genuine pensioners we are fortunate enough that we have in the main no problems whatsoever in using up to date technology to keep in touch with others. If I'd take one thing on board to prepare me for a lot of this lifestyle in say 40 years time if I'm lucky enough to still be around, then it would be to keep abreast of technological developments for when in theory I'll need them more than ever?

B"

The amount of borrowing the government has done you'll be lucky if you're allowed to retire before 80, and chances are you won't live that long

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

Merseyside

What exactly is elderly ?

I don't want any old biddy who can't even press a bloody button looking after my kids and tending my pampass !

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Im currently able to spend much more time on my allotment.... looking forward to retirement....if it ever happens!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A thoughtful post OP and some good points. I work with the elderly and one thing it has taught me is to live life to the fullest. I have spent hundreds of hours over my many years in care listening to the regrets of the elderly. Some have been deathbed regrets. The things they didn’t do, the places they didn’t visit. The loved ones they didn’t say sorry to.

Let’s hope we don’t become those people and that we all learn something from these extraordinary times.

V x

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

This has taught me I need to save more, as I will travel as much as I can when the kids have left etc.

One of my best friends insists that she will never skimp on pjs ever again.

It's true that we are reflecting on and discussing a quieter life which for most of us is after retirement.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

The key to enjoying old age is fitness and flexibility of mind and body. You can do your best to maintain both but sometimes life has other ideas.

» Add a new message to this topic