FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Farm workers urgently needed.

Farm workers urgently needed.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ostonJoe OP   Man  over a year ago

Boston

There are reports (Grimsby Telegraph) of flights from Romania being chartered to bring in farm workers. Apparently 90,000 are needed in the southern counties and Lincolnshire (where I live), and although some 35,000 have come forward following appeals, only 5,500 have moved to the interview stage. These chartered flights will bring workers who will be temperature checked but not tested for covid 19, 180 at a time, observing social distancing advice. *It will take a while to fill these positions then.* These workers are needed because appeals to the furloughed, unemployed and students of the UK have apparently been ignored. There are fantastic employment opportunities for those who want to help "Feed the nation".

Hmmmmm?....

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"There are reports (Grimsby Telegraph) of flights from Romania being chartered to bring in farm workers. Apparently 90,000 are needed in the southern counties and Lincolnshire (where I live), and although some 35,000 have come forward following appeals, only 5,500 have moved to the interview stage. These chartered flights will bring workers who will be temperature checked but not tested for covid 19, 180 at a time, observing social distancing advice. *It will take a while to fill these positions then.* These workers are needed because appeals to the furloughed, unemployed and students of the UK have apparently been ignored. There are fantastic employment opportunities for those who want to help "Feed the nation".

Hmmmmm?....

"

Heard about this on the radio. It is open to British workers but a lot of these jobs need the workers to live on site. The wages are poor unless you are very quick and used to the work. There are figures for British workers that have responded to the ads for pickers and those who have actually been employed. I'll try and find them.

"There are reports (Grimsby Telegraph) of flights from Romania being chartered to bring in farm workers. Apparently 90,000 are needed in the southern counties and Lincolnshire (where I live), and although some 35,000 have come forward following appeals, only 5,500 have moved to the interview stage. These chartered flights will bring workers who will be temperature checked but not tested for covid 19, 180 at a time, observing social distancing advice. *It will take a while to fill these positions then.* These workers are needed because appeals to the furloughed, unemployed and students of the UK have apparently been ignored. There are fantastic employment opportunities for those who want to help "Feed the nation".

Hmmmmm?....

"

Surely the furloughed, who are being paid by the government, should be redeployed into this line of work

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

It's basically slave labour most get paid a nominal wage for working ridiculous hour's under terrible conditions.

Little to no welfare, packed into mini buses like sardines zero social distance in place.

This is all due to the Domino effect of supermarkets dictating the prices to farmers and the only way they can make money if buy using cheap labour.

It was the same in the building trade for years it's slightly more regulated now thanks to CSCS cards but easy to get round that.

Where rich people can make more money by exploiting cheap labour it's always going to happen.

Hmmmmm?....

Surely the furloughed, who are being paid by the government, should be redeployed into this line of work "

A lot of the time, it's just logistics, getting to these places is difficult, hence why having to live on site.

Hmmmmm?....

Surely the furloughed, who are being paid by the government, should be redeployed into this line of work

A lot of the time, it's just logistics, getting to these places is difficult, hence why having to live on site. "

I was only joking

I understand it wouldn't be that simple or practical

In an ideal world though it would be a good solution

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Hmmmmm?....

"

But brexit?

Hmmmmm?....

Surely the furloughed, who are being paid by the government, should be redeployed into this line of work "

I have been furloughed but had to sign a contract saying that I wouldn't do any other work while being so. I don't know how common that is

couple, us we him her.

Hmmmmm?....

But brexit?"

But rich people want to make more money.

So Brexit smexit

liverpool

Hmmmmm?....

But brexit?

But rich people want to make more money.

So Brexit smexit"

Good point.

I dare say, if we didn't have the virus, there would be this problem. The reason we had foreign fruit pickers is because it's bloody hard work and the conditions are shit. Still, I'm sure some of the Brexit party MEP's are freed up now to help???

"It's basically slave labour most get paid a nominal wage for working ridiculous hour's under terrible conditions.

Little to no welfare, packed into mini buses like sardines zero social distance in place.

This is all due to the Domino effect of supermarkets dictating the prices to farmers and the only way they can make money if buy using cheap labour.

It was the same in the building trade for years it's slightly more regulated now thanks to CSCS cards but easy to get round that.

Where rich people can make more money by exploiting cheap labour it's always going to happen."

Exactly, the farmers are just maintaining the status quo.

Cheap foreign labour who ask no questions suits them perfectly.

British workers wouldn't put up with the conditions or 'deductions' for various things from pay - and all concealed by various intermediate 'agencies'

But the Romanian workers are desperate, so they put up with the various abuses of power .

By *s.KerryTV/TS  over a year ago

Blackpool

My understanding is that if you are furloughed you are still under contract and must be available for work under that contract. By that I mean not seek employment elsewhere

By *lueEyedWolfMan  over a year ago

Hemel Hempstead

It is also a case of they know what they're doing so little to no training is required to be at a pace that is financially viable.

By *imes_berksMan  over a year ago

Bracknell

If you have been furloughed you are not allowed to do any work of any kind. Footballers (non league) who have been furloughed are not even allowed to be interviewed for the clubs tv channels as it’s seen as working for their club. Hence no way can they do other jobs, where they get paid.

I’m sure voluntary working will be allowed.

By *exleyboyMan  over a year ago

Erith

Hmmmmm?....

I have been furloughed but had to sign a contract saying that I wouldn't do any other work while being so. I don't know how common that is"

Likewise, my employers have made us sign to say we will not work during furlough. I asked about volunteering and was told working for anyone else during furlough would mean my employers would not get paid by the Government for people would worked or volunteered.

It would appear talking to people who are family members and friends on Latvia the country is enforcing the lockdown more and violations carry a €2000 fine or prison for 3 months.

"It's basically slave labour most get paid a nominal wage for working ridiculous hour's under terrible conditions.

Where rich people can make more money by exploiting cheap labour it's always going to happen.

British workers wouldn't put up with the conditions or 'deductions' for various things from pay - and all concealed by various intermediate 'agencies'

But the Romanian workers are desperate, so they put up with the various abuses of power . "

The minimum hourly pay in Romania is around £1.70 per hour and ours is £8.72 so it's not rocket science why they come to do this work as we would all travel for 5x our wages. Buts let's hope the dont get stung too much for travel and accommodation.

Without them the farmers would lose all thier crops and we would be facing food shortages.

It’s always been a great opportunity for foreign labour to cash up, but places like Poland have become richer so the UK not as attractive.

Plenty of Brits just won’t do the work

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

It happens every year, nothing new here.

"It’s always been a great opportunity for foreign labour to cash up, but places like Poland have become richer so the UK not as attractive.

Plenty of Brits just won’t do the work"

Because it wouldn't pay thier rent/mortgage, rates ,water rates while they are away from home doing this.

Would you?

By *mglasMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Hmmmmm?....

I have been furloughed but had to sign a contract saying that I wouldn't do any other work while being so. I don't know how common that is"

Me too

"It’s always been a great opportunity for foreign labour to cash up, but places like Poland have become richer so the UK not as attractive.

Because it wouldn't pay thier rent/mortgage, rates ,water rates while they are away from home doing this.

Would you?"

Haha, I’m in that line of work, and I imagine those lads in the fields of south Lincs take home a lot more than I do

Would you?

Haha, I’m in that line of work, and I imagine those lads in the fields of south Lincs take home a lot more than I do"

Ah a spud picker but driving a tractor eh

By *adyinred696969Couple  over a year ago

Brecon

I've seen ads for these jobs, offering from £11 to £15 an hour, I'm a care worker and I get less than £9 an hour.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Where rich people can make more money by exploiting cheap labour it's always going to happen."

Cynical jealousy

By *atelotmanMan  over a year ago

Chatham

Correct me if Im wrong.But aren't we in lockdown at this moment in time an will be for 3 weeks more. So are we letting 1000s enter without being full tested.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

What concernerns me is why are any of these people being allowed in during the virus it is not safe to do so.Get lazy brits off there arses and get them working,pays more than social workers get

"I've seen ads for these jobs, offering from £11 to £15 an hour, I'm a care worker and I get less than £9 an hour."

Piece rate most likely (pick more earn more) and there will be deductions for transport, accommodation, food etc no doubt

Wouldn't be fooled by the wage on the ads

"I've seen ads for these jobs, offering from £11 to £15 an hour, I'm a care worker and I get less than £9 an hour."

They are paid a fair wage, but they have to work hard.

You carers are seriously underpaid

But the Romanian workers are desperate, so they put up with the various abuses of power .

The minimum hourly pay in Romania is around £1.70 per hour and ours is £8.72 so it's not rocket science why they come to do this work as we would all travel for 5x our wages. Buts let's hope the dont get stung too much for travel and accommodation.

Without them the farmers would lose all thier crops and we would be facing food shortages. "

Worked with a Romanian Chef for a couple years, Earned around 17k a year at a guess. With that he was able to buy land and build a house from scratch back in Romania near Bucharest. Good luck doing that here.

When i worked in new product development in a cake/dessert factory they where brought in daily and i would say about 25% of the workforce differed from day to day. They had a overseer type guy who looked very dodgy and ruled with a iron fist, 1 minute late and you were gone. Lots of Romani Gypsies especially woman, wouldnt surprise me if they were forced to come over to make money for the family back home.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Don't buy in to divide and conquer. The key area that has caused the biggest effects on health, deaths, employment and the economy is our government.

It would have been ideal to have tested these workers before they arrived. I imagine that their living accommodation here won't be great nor cheap. What's the typical price for accom in Lincs? I know a lot of Cambs, having lived there, which isn't cheap.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

My understanding is that if you are furloughed you are still under contract and must be available for work under that contract. By that I mean not seek employment elsewhere "

that is correct unless your employer allows you to specifically go any work for someone else...... a lot of those for example who work for the airlines have been allowed to volunteer to work in the nhs because they will have up to date medical/first aid training as part of their jobs....

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Correct me if Im wrong.But aren't we in lockdown at this moment in time an will be for 3 weeks more. So are we letting 1000s enter without being full tested."

we tested out there... and will be in 7/14 days isolation when they come in

listening to how it was explained yesterday, the ones coming in have specifically done these roles before in the UK, so can help teach the locals and volunteers what to do and help them get up to speed....

I mean... you could let some of the lettuce and strawberries rot! and then when the prices shot up you'd really have something to complain about!!!!!

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

Both my grandfather's used to work seasonally in the uk on and off between 1930s to 1950s. Working on tillage farms in the summer and dairy farms in winter. Bed and board plus a few pound into the hand.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

Hmmmmm?....

"

only thing with furloughed workers is they cant take another job if furloughed.and i guessing this work is for months rather than full time.so why would someone whos furloughed take a job fir a few months if it puts there full time job at risk

By *ovegames42Man  over a year ago

london

Hmmmmm?....

"

Frightened of a bit of hard graft in this country do you think. “ So much for lockdown “.

We’re will these people be housed.

By *uninlondon69Man  over a year ago

Lewisham

"

only thing with furloughed workers is they cant take another job if furloughed.and i guessing this work is for months rather than full time.so why would someone whos furloughed take a job fir a few months if it puts there full time job at risk"

You can work elsewhere with your main employer's consent. No different to having a 2nd job in normal times. You can't do any work for that main employer while furloughed.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Hmmmmm?....

Also, jobs I've seen advertised stipulate not open to those on furlough.

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Same thing is happening in Ireland. If local people won't do the work, what choice do the growers have? Leave it to rot, thus creating shortages? There would soon be a public outcry about that. As long as quarantine and social distancing is observed, I personally don't have a problem.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Hmmmmm?....

It’s quite common, because your original contract stipulates that you cannot work for anyone else. A business has the right to protect its own interests, plus furlough rules mean you cannot work or your company cannot get paid by the government.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

It's ok, after brexit everything will change. Boris has assured us we will be better off

Let's get it done. Next year will be different

I wish

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"Same thing is happening in Ireland. If local people won't do the work, what choice do the growers have? Leave it to rot, thus creating shortages? There would soon be a public outcry about that. As long as quarantine and social distancing is observed, I personally don't have a problem. "

That’s more a case of can’t, living costs in Ireland are terrible. Everything is expensive there.

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

And don't forget requiring them to live locally and charging them hundreds of pound a week for the privilege of living cheek to jowl in an old caravan.

By *heIcebreakersCouple  over a year ago

Cramlington

There is a brilliant chapter about Londoners going hop picking in Kent in Orwell's novel 'A Clergyman's Daughter' - the use of casual labour in farming predates supermarkets - in the Borders and Scotland school holidays are still referred to by some as tatty picking time, and there are strong cultural traditions of travelling families following the harvests.

Supermarkets may be shit, but they're not to blame for migrant labour being used in agriculture.

the wetlands

And don't forget requiring them to live locally and charging them hundreds of pound a week for the privilege of living cheek to jowl in an old caravan."

Tesco do tents for under £20

liverpool

"It's ok, after brexit everything will change. Boris has assured us we will be better off

Let's get it done. Next year will be different

I wish "

What will happen post Brexit then?

Presumably the farmers womt be able to do this?

By *etLikeMan  over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

And don't forget requiring them to live locally and charging them hundreds of pound a week for the privilege of living cheek to jowl in an old caravan.

Tesco do tents for under £20"

I do hope those tents are British made and not imported from another country with cheaper labour

I appreciate you may have your views and you are entitled to them but your logic doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.

If these people bought their £20 tent from Tesco, where would they pitch it without extra costs applied?

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"

only thing with furloughed workers is they cant take another job if furloughed.and i guessing this work is for months rather than full time.so why would someone whos furloughed take a job fir a few months if it puts there full time job at risk

You can work elsewhere with your main employer's consent. No different to having a 2nd job in normal times. You can't do any work for that main employer while furloughed. "

not true in my case and lots of others i know who have been furloughed.had to sign a letter saying i wouldnt take another job why furloughed as would lose my payment.also would affect getting redundencey if firm goes under witch is looking more likley as my firm is 90%trade through the airports it not looking great for us.so will be sitting tight so if i do lose my job i at least get something.neqrly veryone i know who has been furloughed has had to dign same sort of letter

the wetlands

Tesco do tents for under £20

I do hope those tents are British made and not imported from another country with cheaper labour

I appreciate you may have your views and you are entitled to them but your logic doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.

If these people bought their £20 tent from Tesco, where would they pitch it without extra costs applied?"

You are entitled to your opinion as well

If people spent more time looking for answers than looking for problems the country would be a better place.

In the UK you have literally 10's of thousands of criminals sat on their fat asses in prison doing little or nothing to earn their keep. In these difficult times everybody should pull their weight a little harder. How about a few hundred coach-loads of them chain-ganged and picking the produce? I'm sure there are some bleeding hearts who will howl with self-righteous outrage at this suggestion, but everyone is suffering a bit more at the moment - prisoners are still citizens who could do their bit.

One of us deals with the farming families . yes money is not brilliant for some jobs just depends if people want to work for it . We are finding most people dont want to get their hands dirty and help feed the British people but sit behind a desk on a computer . End of summer going into autumn could be very interesting on the food side

the wetlands

"In the UK you have literally 10's of thousands of criminals sat on their fat asses in prison doing little or nothing to earn their keep. In these difficult times everybody should pull their weight a little harder. How about a few hundred coach-loads of them chain-ganged and picking the produce? I'm sure there are some bleeding hearts who will howl with self-righteous outrage at this suggestion, but everyone is suffering a bit more at the moment - prisoners are still citizens who could do their bit."

And why wouldn't you apply the same logic to unemployed ?

"In the UK you have literally 10's of thousands of criminals sat on their fat asses in prison doing little or nothing to earn their keep. In these difficult times everybody should pull their weight a little harder. How about a few hundred coach-loads of them chain-ganged and picking the produce? I'm sure there are some bleeding hearts who will howl with self-righteous outrage at this suggestion, but everyone is suffering a bit more at the moment - prisoners are still citizens who could do their bit.

And why wouldn't you apply the same logic to unemployed ?"

Duh! Have the unemployed been convicted of any crimes against their fellow citizens? This is not the time to be a limp-wristed floppy piss-pants.

liverpool

"In the UK you have literally 10's of thousands of criminals sat on their fat asses in prison doing little or nothing to earn their keep. In these difficult times everybody should pull their weight a little harder. How about a few hundred coach-loads of them chain-ganged and picking the produce? I'm sure there are some bleeding hearts who will howl with self-righteous outrage at this suggestion, but everyone is suffering a bit more at the moment - prisoners are still citizens who could do their bit.

Because we dont live in nazi Germany?

couple, us we him her.

"One of us deals with the farming families . yes money is not brilliant for some jobs just depends if people want to work for it . We are finding most people dont want to get their hands dirty and help feed the British people but sit behind a desk on a computer . End of summer going into autumn could be very interesting on the food side "

It's been like that for years now and getting worse.

All these youngsters see people making fortune's on the YouTube and want to do the same.

the wetlands

Duh! Have the unemployed been convicted of any crimes against their fellow citizens? This is not the time to be a limp-wristed floppy piss-pants."

If I answered that I'd get a 24 hour timeout probably lol

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

People who are furloughed from their existing jobs can't take a new job, with the exception of harvesting, an exception was made I think this week saying that they can earn an extra income joining the harvest.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

"In the UK you have literally 10's of thousands of criminals sat on their fat asses in prison doing little or nothing to earn their keep. In these difficult times everybody should pull their weight a little harder. How about a few hundred coach-loads of them chain-ganged and picking the produce? I'm sure there are some bleeding hearts who will howl with self-righteous outrage at this suggestion, but everyone is suffering a bit more at the moment - prisoners are still citizens who could do their bit."

It wouldn’t surprise me if some prisoners actually wanted to help. It wouldn’t be a bad idea if they did it voluntarily and got paid help set them up better for release.

By *arkinberksMan  over a year ago

Ascot

My brother used to do summer work on a hop farm in Kent. Not massive pay, partly because they had accommodation included. As the season progressed he was put in charge of a gang of fruit pickers. Most were from the Medway towns and saw it as a handy way to earn money. They were fast workers, mainly women, who were highly amused at having a 20 year old lad supposedly in charge of them. Ripped the p!ss out of him.

Because we dont live in nazi Germany?"

Prisoners aren't locked down with their families at home. They're all in one location in various prisons and can be loaded onto coaches in one go, reducing the chances of cross-contamination.

"One of us deals with the farming families . yes money is not brilliant for some jobs just depends if people want to work for it . We are finding most people dont want to get their hands dirty and help feed the British people but sit behind a desk on a computer . End of summer going into autumn could be very interesting on the food side

It's been like that for years now and getting worse.

All these youngsters see people making fortune's on the YouTube and want to do the same.

"

"One of us deals with the farming families . yes money is not brilliant for some jobs just depends if people want to work for it . We are finding most people dont want to get their hands dirty and help feed the British people but sit behind a desk on a computer . End of summer going into autumn could be very interesting on the food side "

I don't think its just a question of British people not wanting to get their hands dirty. Our society and economy has changed so much in the past fifty years, we're now a technical urban society(hence so many people working on computers) And also why Eastern Europeans from mainly Romania Bulgaria and Slovakia come here to work, these countries are still mainly agricultural economies so folk are used to the work and living in shall we say more down to earth conditions...

By *queegeeMan  over a year ago

northampton

"

My understanding is that if you are furloughed you are still under contract and must be available for work under that contract. By that I mean not seek employment elsewhere "

Yes you must still be available for work within the hours agreed in the contract but outside those hours, you can work hence why pple could have a second job before vivid 19

By *ustafasinghMan  over a year ago

leicester

"

You are able to seek work unless your company specifically said otherwise. But like me I have taken a job as agency staff and said I’d work until I’m needed back which they were happy with.

"

My understanding is that if you are furloughed you are still under contract and must be available for work under that contract. By that I mean not seek employment elsewhere

You are able to seek work unless your company specifically said otherwise. But like me I have taken a job as agency staff and said I’d work until I’m needed back which they were happy with. "

So you dont fancy digging up turnips in East Anglia then?

By *ooljoeMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

Are the farmers allowed to pick fruits whilst naked just asking for a friend

"One of us deals with the farming families . yes money is not brilliant for some jobs just depends if people want to work for it . We are finding most people dont want to get their hands dirty and help feed the British people but sit behind a desk on a computer . End of summer going into autumn could be very interesting on the food side

I don't think its just a question of British people not wanting to get their hands dirty. Our society and economy has changed so much in the past fifty years, we're now a technical urban society(hence so many people working on computers) And also why Eastern Europeans from mainly Romania Bulgaria and Slovakia come here to work, these countries are still mainly agricultural economies so folk are used to the work and living in shall we say more down to earth conditions..."

let's just say we are going to struggle for fresh food in autumn..

By *leaserforPleasureTV/TS  over a year ago

Whitstable

"

Because we dont live in nazi Germany?"

Godwins Law.

I don't think its just a question of British people not wanting to get their hands dirty. Our society and economy has changed so much in the past fifty years, we're now a technical urban society(hence so many people working on computers) And also why Eastern Europeans from mainly Romania Bulgaria and Slovakia come here to work, these countries are still mainly agricultural economies so folk are used to the work and living in shall we say more down to earth conditions... let's just say we are going to struggle for fresh food in autumn.."

Nah, its just all the brexitheads will have to eat some nice fresh humble pie...

We have anti-slavery laws in this country.

I'm one of the "bleeding hearts" who still believes slavery is wrong.

By *ustafasinghMan  over a year ago

leicester

"

You are able to seek work unless your company specifically said otherwise. But like me I have taken a job as agency staff and said I’d work until I’m needed back which they were happy with.

So you dont fancy digging up turnips in East Anglia then?"

Truthfully, I’d give anything ago. Personally I would see it being hard to be afar from family etc. But like I said I would like to give it ago at least once. Although I’m doubtful that I’d be used to do such gruelling task and would probably struggle.

liverpool

"

Because we dont live in nazi Germany?

Godwins Law."

Forcing people to work happened in nazi Germany pre war.

I don't think its just a question of British people not wanting to get their hands dirty. Our society and economy has changed so much in the past fifty years, we're now a technical urban society(hence so many people working on computers) And also why Eastern Europeans from mainly Romania Bulgaria and Slovakia come here to work, these countries are still mainly agricultural economies so folk are used to the work and living in shall we say more down to earth conditions... let's just say we are going to struggle for fresh food in autumn..

Nah, its just all the brexitheads will have to eat some nice fresh humble pie..."

Brexiteers so far have taken the Baldrick defence of "deny everything".

By *9stanMan  over a year ago

Cheshire West

[Removed by poster at 18/04/20 12:42:24]

I'm one of the "bleeding hearts" who still believes slavery is wrong. "

Pay them a small amount then. It's really not rocket science

By *9stanMan  over a year ago

Cheshire West

"[Removed by poster at 18/04/20 12:42:24]"

Yeah i had to sign same agreement. It’s part of the Furlough agreement.

By *leaserforPleasureTV/TS  over a year ago

Whitstable

Instead of fining someone for breaking the lockdown give them a week as a fruit and veg picker that way they are outside as they want to be.

Pay them a small amount then. It's really not rocket science "

So forced labour on some 'small amount". That's specifically slave labour. That's what they do in the States, where prisoners are classed as "slave labour".

That's your suggestion?

Blimey, a few weeks in isolation and people are calling for a return to slavery.

By *dsindyTV/TS  over a year ago

East Lancashire

Wow....are you seriously advocating US style chain gangs to harvest our food? What if a prisoner tries to escape? Shoot him? Cool Hand Luke is going through my head now......"taking off here boss".

Brecon

I'm one of the "bleeding hearts" who still believes slavery is wrong. "

You think using prisoners is "slavery" but you are ok with Eastern Europeans being bought over to do it?

You think using prisoners is "slavery" but you are ok with Eastern Europeans being bought over to do it?"

I'm okay with people voluntarily working for a wage.

I am not okay using prisoners as slave labour.

Do that answer your question?

Pay them a small amount then. It's really not rocket science

So forced labour on some 'small amount". That's specifically slave labour. That's what they do in the States, where prisoners are classed as "slave labour".

That's your suggestion?

Blimey, a few weeks in isolation and people are calling for a return to slavery. "

Oh don't be so ridiculous. Fruit picking for a small wage is what many people are forced to do just to feed themselves and their families. This is not the time to be weak and feeble.

You think using prisoners is "slavery" but you are ok with Eastern Europeans being bought over to do it?"

Also its not "I think using prisoners is slavery"....

Here's there 2015 Modern Slavery Act.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/30/section/1/enacted

Feel free to peruse at your leisure. If you feel like this needs to be repealed and that we need to bring in slavery to the UK. I would suggest writing to your local MP.

Wow....are you seriously advocating US style chain gangs to harvest our food? What if a prisoner tries to escape? Shoot him? Cool Hand Luke is going through my head now......"taking off here boss"."

Silly comment.

By *ake_holeMan  over a year ago

London

[Removed by poster at 18/04/20 12:59:30]

East Lancashire

Wow....are you seriously advocating US style chain gangs to harvest our food? What if a prisoner tries to escape? Shoot him? Cool Hand Luke is going through my head now......"taking off here boss".

Silly comment. "

Which part is silly? You said use prisoners should be chain ganged and pick produce. I asked if you were serious.

Silly comment.

Which part is silly? You said use prisoners should be chain ganged and pick produce. I asked if you were serious. "

I didn't say that prisoners should be shot if they try to escape, try not to be so over-dramatic and taking situations from a 53 year old movie out of context and applying them to modern times. That's the very silly part.

Silly comment.

Which part is silly? You said use prisoners should be chain ganged and pick produce. I asked if you were serious.

I didn't say that prisoners should be shot if they try to escape, try not to be so over-dramatic and taking situations from a 53 year old movie out of context and applying them to modern times. That's the very silly part."

But the slavery part is cool?

East Lancashire

Silly comment.

I didn't say that prisoners should be shot if they try to escape, try not to be so over-dramatic and taking situations from a 53 year old movie out of context and applying them to modern times. That's the very silly part."

Yes,it is. But I used that to get across the ENTIRE idea is silly...in my opinion though

Silly comment.

Then of course you're assuming that the people living round the farms in quiet rural areas are going to feel comfortable with coach loads of criminals being shipped in and out...

Silly comment.

I didn't say that prisoners should be shot if they try to escape, try not to be so over-dramatic and taking situations from a 53 year old movie out of context and applying them to modern times. That's the very silly part.

But the slavery part is cool?"

Pay them the going wage then. In a few months time when the produce is still rotting in the fields, prices are rocketing and poor people and their children are going hungry, I'm sure you'll still feel smug and self-satisfied that you were able to contribute in some small way to their distress.

[Removed by poster at 18/04/20 13:21:28]

Silly comment.

Then of course you're assuming that the people living round the farms in quiet rural areas are going to feel comfortable with coach loads of criminals being shipped in and out..."

Does anybody in the UK have any kind of choice in what kind of people work in their neighbourhood?

Silly comment.

Pay them the going wage then. In a few months time when the produce is still rotting in the fields, prices are rocketing and poor people and their children are going hungry, I'm sure you'll still feel smug and self-satisfied that you were able to contribute in some small way to their distress."

Yeh but we dont have to pay horrible crooks to do the fruit picking, we've got nice tidy people from Romania doing it.

Silly comment.

Pay them the going wage then. In a few months time when the produce is still rotting in the fields, prices are rocketing and poor people and their children are going hungry, I'm sure you'll still feel smug and self-satisfied that you were able to contribute in some small way to their distress."

Why are your only two options slave labour or poor people and children starving?

And it's not me personally preventing this from happening.

Read the 2015 modern slavery act. It's on line. I linked above.

If you feel strongly about this course of action. You should lobby your local MP to have this act repealed.

the wetlands

Silly comment.

The unemployed are already getting into paid ? No ?

Silly comment.

Pay them the going wage then. In a few months time when the produce is still rotting in the fields, prices are rocketing and poor people and their children are going hungry, I'm sure you'll still feel smug and self-satisfied that you were able to contribute in some small way to their distress.

Why are your only two options slave labour or poor people and children starving?"

Instead of flopping your wrists ineffectually, why not come up with a better and more practical solution to the problem then. Or just do nothing and keep arguing - from reading some of your other posts that does seem to be your forte. Perhaps you could try addressing the genuine needs of law-abiding citizens, rather than those of those who have committed crimes against them and their families.

Thosands people have applied us included & heard nothing maybe farmers just want slave labour

Silly comment.

Why are your only two options slave labour or poor people and children starving?

And it's not me personally preventing this from happening.

Read the 2015 modern slavery act. It's on line. I linked above.

If you feel strongly about this course of action. You should lobby your local MP to have this act repealed. "

Yeah, great idea Einstein - meanwhile good people starve. What a valuable asset to your country you are. Not.

Silly comment.

Instead of flopping your wrists ineffectually, why not come up with a better and more practical solution to the problem then. Or just do nothing and keep arguing - from reading some of your other posts that does seem to be your forte. Perhaps you could try addressing the genuine needs of law-abiding citizens, rather than those of those who have committed crimes against them and their families."

Flopping your wrists?

Silly comment.

Instead of flopping your wrists ineffectually, why not come up with a better and more practical solution to the problem then. Or just do nothing and keep arguing - from reading some of your other posts that does seem to be your forte. Perhaps you could try addressing the genuine needs of law-abiding citizens, rather than those of those who have committed crimes against them and their families."

Okay. So you've resorted to personal insults. And challenged me to come up with a solution better than your suggestion of turning people into slaves.

This is going nowhere fast.

Silly comment.

Instead of flopping your wrists ineffectually, why not come up with a better and more practical solution to the problem then. Or just do nothing and keep arguing - from reading some of your other posts that does seem to be your forte. Perhaps you could try addressing the genuine needs of law-abiding citizens, rather than those of those who have committed crimes against them and their families.

Okay. So you've resorted to personal insults. And challenged me to come up with a solution better than your suggestion of turning people into slaves.

"

You are in denial of how serious the current situation is. I'm not. The UK needs to do something drastic NOW, before it's too late.

Silly comment.

You are in denial of how serious the current situation is. I'm not. The UK needs to do something drastic NOW, before it's too late. "

What makes you think I'm in denial?

I'm aware that we are in a dire situation. I just think we could try a few alternatives first before we resort to slavery.

Brecon

You think using prisoners is "slavery" but you are ok with Eastern Europeans being bought over to do it?

Do that answer your question?"

Whilst I get the distinction between using prisoners, and people doing it for a wage, my point is that often, if they arent monitored, some agencies/farm owners treat the hired help quite poorly, paying them badly, and then compounding this by making charges for transport, food and accomodation (which is often very poor). The reason they are flying people in is, possibly, that they know they can treat them like crap and get away with it, whilst UK citizens might not be so wiling to put up with it.

Do that answer your question?

Whilst I get the distinction between using prisoners, and people doing it for a wage, my point is that often, if they arent monitored, some agencies/farm owners treat the hired help quite poorly, paying them badly, and then compounding this by making charges for transport, food and accomodation (which is often very poor). The reason they are flying people in is, possibly, that they know they can treat them like crap and get away with it, whilst UK citizens might not be so wiling to put up with it."

Well I agree with that. I am also concerned about workers rights. And at how quickly people are willing to flush them away.

Silly comment.

You are in denial of how serious the current situation is. I'm not. The UK needs to do something drastic NOW, before it's too late.

I'm aware that we are in a dire situation. I just think we could try a few alternatives first before we resort to slavery. "

How long do you think fresh fruit and veg lasts? It will be rotting and inedible in the fields whilst you are still "trying a few alternatives". Come on now, please think sensibly.

Most likely it will be individuals who have been here before for the summer work and then go home when they're not needed so won't just be anyone and everyone I'm. Sure they will. Have to show proof they have been here before, the sad fact is people complain about foreign worker but this is and example even in unprecedented times people in this cou try look down their noses at these jobs! And if these foreigners come and do. This job for a few years then hell yeah woth that work attitude let them move here and live permanently I say

Bulgaria has very low incidence of Covid-19 and I would guess countries around it should be OK too if their people want to come here and earn a few quid. They took the decision to lock down earlier than us.

Their biggest problem is more likely when they go back home after the picking season to be honest as we are far more likely to give them the illness than we are them.

Silly comment.

I'm aware that we are in a dire situation. I just think we could try a few alternatives first before we resort to slavery.

How long do you think fresh fruit and veg lasts? It will be rotting and inedible in the fields whilst you are still "trying a few alternatives". Come on now, please think sensibly."

Are you suggesting that slavery is "thinking sensibly"?

East Lancashire

Silly comment.

How long do you think fresh fruit and veg lasts? It will be rotting and inedible in the fields whilst you are still "trying a few alternatives". Come on now, please think sensibly."

Just to clarify....are you advocating slavery or forced labour? Simple question with a yes or no answer.

"Most likely it will be individuals who have been here before for the summer work and then go home when they're not needed so won't just be anyone and everyone I'm. Sure they will. Have to show proof they have been here before, the sad fact is people complain about foreign worker but this is and example even in unprecedented times people in this cou try look down their noses at these jobs! And if these foreigners come and do. This job for a few years then hell yeah woth that work attitude let them move here and live permanently I say "

Thing is the money is worth more to them back home. Its worth their while coming here. A few months picking here on minimum wage and their mums bungalow has a new roof etc

Silly comment.

How long do you think fresh fruit and veg lasts? It will be rotting and inedible in the fields whilst you are still "trying a few alternatives". Come on now, please think sensibly.

Are you suggesting that slavery is "thinking sensibly"?"

Pay them and it's not slavery. Please stop coming up with ludicrous counter-arguments, it helps nobody and shows you up for your lack of compassion for potentially starving children. Tough times call for tough measures.

Silly comment.

Just to clarify....are you advocating slavery or forced labour? Simple question with a yes or no answer."

It's not a simple question at all, it's a loaded question that can only garner the answer you want, not the truth that you are avoiding. Tell me something, would you rather prisoners picked fruit and veg or would you rather children starve? That question is in line with yours.

Silly comment.

Pay them and it's not slavery. Please stop coming up with ludicrous counter-arguments, it helps nobody and shows you up for your lack of compassion for potentially starving children. Tough times call for tough measures."

Yeh but why pay a bunch of good for nothing feckless crooks to do it when we already have a workforce of decent respectable agricultural workers from East Europe willing to do the work? I dont understand your insistence on prison labour?

Silly comment.

Pay them and it's not slavery. Please stop coming up with ludicrous counter-arguments, it helps nobody and shows you up for your lack of compassion for potentially starving children. Tough times call for tough measures."

So now you're moving your argument to Forced Labour?

Forced Labour is illegal under: International Labour Organization Forced Labour Convention, 1930

And is covered in the 2015 Modern Slavery Act. I assume with your level of enthusiasm for this, you have read it? But for those who haven't. It's also illegal under British law.

So blaming me for this is silly.

Yes bring back the chain gangs

You been watching Cool Hand luke again Boss ??

Silly comment.

Pay them and it's not slavery. Please stop coming up with ludicrous counter-arguments, it helps nobody and shows you up for your lack of compassion for potentially starving children. Tough times call for tough measures.

Yeh but why pay a bunch of good for nothing feckless crooks to do it when we already have a workforce of decent respectable agricultural workers from East Europe willing to do the work? I dont understand your insistence on prison labour?"

Bringing people in from abroad increases the risks of virus cross-contamination to both the UK and the country that these people will return to when the work is done. Prisons are a "single community" and the chances are greatly reduced if they are kept together, either in prison or working in the fields. People are in "lockdown" for this very reason.

By *rednwilma1Couple  over a year ago

york

To be fair , he did add ' pay them a going wage then'..... just saing..

Silly comment.

Just to clarify....are you advocating slavery or forced labour? Simple question with a yes or no answer.

It's not a simple question at all, it's a loaded question that can only garner the answer you want, not the truth that you are avoiding. Tell me something, would you rather prisoners picked fruit and veg or would you rather children starve? That question is in line with yours."

Well you're the one who brought up slavery and now forced labour as the solutions. And then said that alternatives aren't sensible. So I was going by your parameters.

You're now asking me a question with two options. Neither of which are good. One with has many possible solutions. And one which is illegal.

This is in no way in line with my question and has no relevance to this discussion. Which is my entire point.

"To be fair , he did add ' pay them a going wage then'..... just saing.."

He did. Forced labour is also illegal under UK and international law.

Not my personal fault. Although personally speaking. These are two laws I support.

"Yes bring back the chain gangs

You been watching Cool Hand luke again Boss ??"

A fictional movie that was released in 1967 has little or no relevance in 2020. People in the UK may starve in 2020 - food shortages weren't a problem in 1967. The "now" is the problem, not the past.

East Lancashire

Not a silly or loaded question. Yes you are for it (evil), no you are against it (good). Where as YOUR question is slavery/forced labour OR children starving, both evil (though quite where you get the idea that people will starve because fruit will go unpicked bewilderes me).

Anyway, it seems you are not willing to change your outlook, and to be fair neither am I, continued conversation re this issue is pointless. I will bid you a good day xx.

Picking is not a job for everyone. That is the reason why farmers want those Romanian workers.

Prisoners or furloughed/redundant employees won't be able to do this job. But I guess that reality is difficult to accept for brexiteers.

"Not a silly or loaded question. Yes you are for it (evil), no you are against it (good). Where as YOUR question is slavery/forced labour OR children starving, both evil (though quite where you get the idea that people will starve because fruit will go unpicked bewilderes me).

Anyway, it seems you are not willing to change your outlook, and to be fair neither am I, continued conversation re this issue is pointless. I will bid you a good day xx."

I feel the same. Good post.

Silly comment.

It's not a simple question at all, it's a loaded question that can only garner the answer you want, not the truth that you are avoiding. Tell me something, would you rather prisoners picked fruit and veg or would you rather children starve? That question is in line with yours.

Well you're the one who brought up slavery and now forced labour as the solutions. And then said that alternatives aren't sensible. So I was going by your parameters.

You're now asking me a question with two options. Neither of which are good. One with has many possible solutions. And one which is illegal.

This is in no way in line with my question and has no relevance to this discussion. Which is my entire point. "

You're quoting the response I made to another person's post. If you can't keep up with a simple thread, what confidence do you think you inspire that you have any clue of what you're arguing about?

"Picking is not a job for everyone. That is the reason why farmers want those Romanian workers.

Prisoners or furloughed/redundant employees won't be able to do this job. But I guess that reality is difficult to accept for brexiteers."

How difficult do you think picking fruit and veg is?!! Ordinary people have been doing it for centuries.

By *imjohnCouple  over a year ago

Clacton on sea, Essex

The government didn't think it through when they allowed Brexit to go through even without the virus we would have been in dire straights.

Next year even without any virus scares we're still have the problem with the farms & fisheries because as much as Britain want to remain imperialists we can't cope without our European friends as Boris found out with the two foreign nurses he publicly thanked for saving his life...bet he is even thinking now we have fucked up bad.

If British farmers paid proper wages they would get UK employees if they can't then nationalise the farms until farmers can get their act together, the government we're told what would happen in the farming sector but they chose to go through with Brexit anyway so they got what they sowed.

We should think of the people being fetched over crowded together in a time of crisis & their welfare of greater risk to Covid 19 & like NHS workers thank them for being frontline workers in saving our farms not moan about them as most do.

"Not a silly or loaded question. Yes you are for it (evil), no you are against it (good). Where as YOUR question is slavery/forced labour OR children starving, both evil (though quite where you get the idea that people will starve because fruit will go unpicked bewilderes me).

Anyway, it seems you are not willing to change your outlook, and to be fair neither am I, continued conversation re this issue is pointless. I will bid you a good day xx."

And a good day to you. I hope your children don't starve due to your indolence

most fundamental aspects

"

If people spent more time looking for answers than looking for problems the country would be a better place."

I’ve read through all your suggestions for making the country a better place and I cannot see it being made better by any of your suggestions.

Let me pick up on just one of your suggestions of loading prisoners onto coaches and thereby eliminating any cross contamination.

Are they self driving coaches?

Anyway, it seems you are not willing to change your outlook, and to be fair neither am I, continued conversation re this issue is pointless. I will bid you a good day xx.

And a good day to you. I hope your children don't starve due to your indolence "

That's a nasty thing to say.

"Picking is not a job for everyone. That is the reason why farmers want those Romanian workers.

Prisoners or furloughed/redundant employees won't be able to do this job. But I guess that reality is difficult to accept for brexiteers.

How difficult do you think picking fruit and veg is?!! Ordinary people have been doing it for centuries. "

You clearly have no clue.

Try doing it for 1 day and see how many fruit you picked compared to any of those Romanian workers.

East Lancashire

That's a nasty thing to say."

Dont worry, I take no offense. I find personal insults irrelevant.

Dont worry, I take no offense. I find personal insults irrelevant."

"

If people spent more time looking for answers than looking for problems the country would be a better place.

I’ve read through all your suggestions for making the country a better place and I cannot see it being made better by any of your suggestions.

Let me pick up on just one of your suggestions of loading prisoners onto coaches and thereby eliminating any cross contamination.

Are they self driving coaches? "

I'm sure there are prisoners with PSV licences

That's a nasty thing to say."

Saying I hope your children DON'T starve is nasty? What planet do you live on that you take petty offence to such a statement? Grow up.

[Removed by poster at 18/04/20 14:43:31]

How difficult do you think picking fruit and veg is?!! Ordinary people have been doing it for centuries.

You clearly have no clue.

Try doing it for 1 day and see how many fruit you picked compared to any of those Romanian workers."

I lived in Israel for two decades my friend. I know exactly how to pick produce properly, as do most Israeli citizens because they're have been many times when it was a choice between learning and doing it or going hungry. It is only difficult for extremely stupid or extremely lazy people.

[Removed by poster at 18/04/20 14:47:29]

Saying I hope your children DON'T starve is nasty? What planet do you live on that you take petty offence to such a statement? Grow up.

That's not what you said though is it?

I don't appreciate being told to "grow up" by someone who ridicules anyone who doesn't condone slavery or forced labour. (Both of which are illegal under British law.).

You're going to have to toughen up a bit then, aren't you? Some of you soft British people have no idea what fortitude and hardship is. Yet. When you finally get it into your thick heads that this virus is a serious thread, it will be too late."

Steady on chap.

Look. Tell yourself whatever you need to to justify your views.

I'm out of this conversation.

I don't appreciate being told to "grow up" by someone who ridicules anyone who doesn't condone slavery or forced labour. (Both of which are illegal under British law.)."

You're going to have to toughen up a bit then, aren't you? Some of you soft British people have no idea what fortitude and hardship is. Yet. When you finally get it into your thick heads that this virus is a serious threat to your lives, it will be too late.

most fundamental aspects

"

I'm sure there are prisoners with PSV licences "

What could possibly go wrong then. Chuck a set of keys to a prisoner who can drive a bus and his 47 prisoner passengers.

I don't appreciate being told to "grow up" by someone who ridicules anyone who doesn't condone slavery or forced labour. (Both of which are illegal under British law.).

You're going to have to toughen up a bit then, aren't you? Some of you soft British people have no idea what fortitude and hardship is. Yet. When you finally get it into your thick heads that this virus is a serious thread, it will be too late.

Steady on chap.

Look. Tell yourself whatever you need to to justify your views.

I'm out of this conversation."

And yet again, you shy away from the harsh realities of this situation. Enjoy your bubble - when it bursts you, and those you love will be grateful for your contributions. Not.

"

What could possibly go wrong then. Chuck a set of keys to a prisoner who can drive a bus and his 47 prisoner passengers.

"

You could always have prison officers on the coaches. What about that idea? Is this really that difficult for you to comprehend? Would you prefer that your children starved so you can protect the rights of thieves, murderers and r*pists? Are you really that soulless?

most fundamental aspects

"

You could always have prison officers on the coaches. What about that idea? Is this really that difficult for you to comprehend? Would you prefer that your children starved so you can protect the rights of thieves, murderers and r*pists? Are you really that soulless?"

But I thought you said there was no danger of cross contamination to non prisoners. Maybe get the prison officers to follow behind on a different coach?

Oh and your children thing doesn’t work on me; I have no children and I had a vasectomy in 2017

"

You could always have prison officers on the coaches. What about that idea? Is this really that difficult for you to comprehend? Would you prefer that your children starved so you can protect the rights of thieves, murderers and r*pists? Are you really that soulless?

But I thought you said there was no danger of cross contamination to non prisoners. Maybe get the prison officers to follow behind on a different coach?

Oh and your children thing doesn’t work on me; I have no children and I had a vasectomy in 2017"

Well, do you possibly think that the prison officers would be given PPE? Or is that a bit too hard an idea for you come up with on your own? I mean, it's not like the subject of PPE hasn't come up at all, under any circumstances currently. You may have no children, but you have no empathy for other peoples'? Maybe you are soulless. However, thank you for the information regarding your own inability to procreate. That will be a comfort to future generations

most fundamental aspects

"

Oh and your children thing doesn’t work on me; I have no children and I had a vasectomy in 2017

Well, do you possibly think that the prison officers would be given PPE? Or is that a bit too hard an idea for you come up with on your own? I mean, it's not like the subject of PPE hasn't come up at all, under any circumstances currently. You may have no children, but you have no empathy for other peoples'? Maybe you are soulless. However, thank you for the information regarding your own inability to procreate. That will be a comfort to future generations "

You have failed to accept logic, failed to accept what is law and, for what it’s worth, the possessive plural.

I’m not at all insulted by your suggestion upon my role in the gene pool. My own morals (though to be fair more the forum rules) prevent me making comments alluding to the gene pool, so I’ll leave that to readers to make their minds up.

Are you aware furloughed people can take up another job ,other than volunteering

By *itonmyfacebookMan  over a year ago

Burton on Trent

Hmmmmm?....

I suggested bin another thread that furloughed could work in care homes and got ripped to bits because of this

Hmmmmm?....

I have been furloughed but had to sign a contract saying that I wouldn't do any other work while being so. I don't know how common that is

I suggested bin another thread that furloughed could work in care homes and got ripped to bits because of this "

In fairness you need a good bit of training and a bunch of certs and checks to work in a care home. It's a skilled job.

Not that it can't be done, but it's certainly not a straightforward career change.

By *astflowMan  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

I see some people suggesting you cannot work whilst on Furlough. It's is correct you cannot perform any work for the employer claiming the furlough benefit for you. You can however seek employment with another employer. The following is directly from the Government website.

"If your contract allows, you may undertake other employment while your current employer has placed you on furlough, and this will not affect the grant that they can claim under the scheme. You will need to be able to return to work for the employer that has placed you on furlough if they decide to stop furloughing you, and you must be able to undertake any training they require while on furlough. If you take on new employment, you should ensure you complete the starter checklist form with your new employer correctly. If you are furloughed from another employment, you should complete Statement C. Any activities undertaken while on furlough must be in line with the latest Public Health guidance during the COVID-19 outbreak."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-you-could-be-covered-by-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme

liverpool

Hmmmmm?....

I suggested bin another thread that furloughed could work in care homes and got ripped to bits because of this "

I should imagine it would be quite difficult in the current situation

Not read the thread, so may be covered already. As a child, my father's summer holidays were spent hop picking in Kent. It sounded hard but he has fond memories of it. Perhaps a way for households to have a time out in the summer. Fruit picking?????

"

Well, do you possibly think that the prison officers would be given PPE? Or is that a bit too hard an idea for you come up with on your own? I mean, it's not like the subject of PPE hasn't come up at all, under any circumstances currently. You may have no children, but you have no empathy for other peoples'? Maybe you are soulless. However, thank you for the information regarding your own inability to procreate. That will be a comfort to future generations

You have failed to accept logic, failed to accept what is law and, for what it’s worth, the possessive plural.

I’m not at all insulted by your suggestion upon my role in the gene pool. My own morals (though to be fair more the forum rules) prevent me making comments alluding to the gene pool, so I’ll leave that to readers to make their minds up. "

And you fail to appreciate the seriousness of the virus situation. As for "the possessive plural", you're not to know, although stated on my profile, that English isn't my first language, or for that matter even my second. But well done for pointing it out - I hope it gave you the feeling of superiority you were hoping for.

the wetlands

"I see some people suggesting you cannot work whilst on Furlough. It's is correct you cannot perform any work for the employer claiming the furlough benefit for you. You can however seek employment with another employer. The following is directly from the Government website.

"If your contract allows, you may undertake other employment while your current employer has placed you on furlough, and this will not affect the grant that they can claim under the scheme. You will need to be able to return to work for the employer that has placed you on furlough if they decide to stop furloughing you, and you must be able to undertake any training they require while on furlough. If you take on new employment, you should ensure you complete the starter checklist form with your new employer correctly. If you are furloughed from another employment, you should complete Statement C. Any activities undertaken while on furlough must be in line with the latest Public Health guidance during the COVID-19 outbreak."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-you-could-be-covered-by-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme"

Aye but what does the daily Mail say

Ive worked friut pick as student the Arrogant farmers treat workers as slaves

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

On our local network we have had posts from farmers offering £15.42 an hour but they are still struggling to get our lazy arsed lot to go out to work.

What might they break a nail? or is it just the thought of a 06.30 start, more proof of our pampered younger generation.

We are going to need to eat so we don't blame them for getting those in who are willing to work.

What choice do they have?

liverpool

"On our local network we have had posts from farmers offering £15.42 an hour but they are still struggling to get our lazy arsed lot to go out to work.

What might they break a nail? or is it just the thought of a 06.30 start, more proof of our pampered younger generation.

We are going to need to eat so we don't blame them for getting those in who are willing to work.

What choice do they have?"

Which people are you specifically referring too?

I see loads of young people doing low paid jobs.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Concordia, one of the largest recruitment firms for agricultural workers are reporting that 36,000 people have registered interest and over 6,000 have conducted a video interview. In the last 10 days, 900 people have been offered jobs but only 112 have agreed contracts.

So the question is this, are the applicants being offered contracts that are restrictive to the point they are unwilling/unable to take up the work, or are people signing up and further along the application process having "buyer's remorse"

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

"Concordia, one of the largest recruitment firms for agricultural workers are reporting that 36,000 people have registered interest and over 6,000 have conducted a video interview. In the last 10 days, 900 people have been offered jobs but only 112 have agreed contracts.

So the question is this, are the applicants being offered contracts that are restrictive to the point they are unwilling/unable to take up the work, or are people signing up and further along the application process having "buyer's remorse"

"

Normally I’d be the first to criticise workshy layabouts, but my understanding is that a lot more than 36,000 UK citizens have applied for crop picking jobs, and very few of them have heard anything back from Concordia and other agencies, let alone an interview or contract.

The suspicion is that the organisers want to fill as many roles as possible (as every year) with cheap foreign labour who further agree to have wage reductions to live in a shed on site. Any shortages can then be taken up with UK workers on proper wages as a last resort.

Yes we want cheap food but I’ve never understood why we tolerate treating other humans like this. Minimum wage, health and safety, etc should be a given for everyone who works in the UK.

They are put up in old caravans and feed basic food. But they get a couple of quid an hour so it keeps everyone happy.

"Concordia, one of the largest recruitment firms for agricultural workers are reporting that 36,000 people have registered interest and over 6,000 have conducted a video interview. In the last 10 days, 900 people have been offered jobs but only 112 have agreed contracts.

"

They are offered the same contract that foreigners are offered, with salaries as low as the market (which includes you) dictate. Being paid like a waitress to work 10 times harder isn't appalling.

liverpool

"They are put up in old caravans and feed basic food. But they get a couple of quid an hour so it keeps everyone happy. "

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

They are offered the same contract that foreigners are offered, with salaries as low as the market (which includes you) dictate. Being paid like a waitress to work 10 times harder isn't appealing."

I would assume the 36k+ people interested are aware of the salary before they register an interest ... that being true, what is it that changes further down the application process that makes it difficult for them to be offered / accept the work?

They are offered the same contract that foreigners are offered, with salaries as low as the market (which includes you) dictate. Being paid like a waitress to work 10 times harder isn't appealing.

I would assume the 36k+ people interested are aware of the salary before they register an interest ... that being true, what is it that changes further down the application process that makes it difficult for them to be offered / accept the work?"

I wouldn't be so sure that people who register really know what crop picking is and how hard it is compared to the salary.

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

They are offered the same contract that foreigners are offered, with salaries as low as the market (which includes you) dictate. Being paid like a waitress to work 10 times harder isn't appealing.

I would assume the 36k+ people interested are aware of the salary before they register an interest ... that being true, what is it that changes further down the application process that makes it difficult for them to be offered / accept the work?"

That they are asked to live in a shed in a field and have wages deducted for living expenses.

By *ed-devilsCouple  over a year ago

Hitchin

All the social scroungers that sit at home on benefits that are capable to work but can’t be arsed because they get more in handouts should be made to do this kind of work.

liverpool

The popularity of the sun and the mail is starting to make sense.

the wetlands

"All the social scroungers that sit at home on benefits that are capable to work but can’t be arsed because they get more in handouts should be made to do this kind of work."

Worcester

"On our local network we have had posts from farmers offering £15.42 an hour but they are still struggling to get our lazy arsed lot to go out to work.

I see loads of young people doing low paid jobs."

Well why aren't they jumping at the chance of over £15 per hour or is this kind of work beneath them maybe?

liverpool

Well why aren't they jumping at the chance of over £15 per hour or is this kind of work beneath them maybe? "

Because they dont live in the countryside?

Worcester

I would assume the 36k+ people interested are aware of the salary before they register an interest ... that being true, what is it that changes further down the application process that makes it difficult for them to be offered / accept the work?

That they are asked to live in a shed in a field and have wages deducted for living expenses."

Total rubbish we have seen the accommodation that the farm workers stay in

Hostel like yes but in this instance due to the current conditions they have stated that they cannot provide accommodation.

Worcester

Well why aren't they jumping at the chance of over £15 per hour or is this kind of work beneath them maybe?

Because they dont live in the countryside?"

So get the tents out and camp then maybe.

Might even be fun.

By *959femxCouple  over a year ago

Weston super mare

Most young people in this country wouldn’t be able to do manual work anyway as they find it impossible for a phone to be out of their hands for more than 30 seconds .

Hmmmmm?....

"

So you are offering a low paid job with long hours of back breaking work, with zero chance of promotion. Perhaps if you were offering a decent wage to begin with, you wouldn't have any problem getting young people to toil in your fields. Or else go to the bank and take out a multi million remortgage on your farm and buy a machine that will do the same work.

Norwich

" This is not the time to be a limp-wristed floppy piss-pants."

Did anyone else hear that in General Melchetts voice?

Norwich

The main problem is that the image mowt people have of this type of work is https://www.gla.gov.uk/media/3537/external-nature-and-scale-of-labour-exploitation-report-final-version-may-2018.pdf

It's not all Darling Buds of May