FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > none essentials buys with the lockdown.

none essentials buys with the lockdown.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

fags and booze deffo none essential.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

They are essential to smokers and alcoholics

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

The Govt has not defined essential purchases, only essential retailers. You can buy whatever you want from shops that are open.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"fags and booze deffo none essential."

Why don't you tell us what YOU consider to be essential that others might not hun? Maybe try asking an autistic person of their family that the one brand of cereal the autistic person can eat is inessential hun, or the one toy/magazine/video/game/toy.

I bet you have smoked and d*unk hun

"fags and booze deffo none essential.

Why don't you tell us what YOU consider to be essential that others might not hun? Maybe try asking an autistic person of their family that the one brand of cereal the autistic person can eat is inessential hun, or the one toy/magazine/video/game/toy.

I bet you have smoked and d*unk hun"

Thank you for saying that

The last thing the NHS needs is alcoholics going cold turkey right now. It’s dangerous

Thank you for saying that "

It's nothing, it's staggering just how naive and myopic others are. That's honestly been one of the biggest things on my mind for a while

By *ovestrapMan  over a year ago

London

Thanks for this.

My 68yrs neighbour who does not leave the house cos she is high rise. So I do her shopping for her own.

For her the pink n green hair dye is essential for her. To keep her spirit up.

If they sell it in the shop it don't matter what it is..

Each to their own.. What ever help you survive. This madness.

Are you enjoying that delicious yummy and essential ratio so far hun?

It's nothing, it's staggering just how naive and myopic others are. That's honestly been one of the biggest things on my mind for a while"

Its very hard for everyone on the spectrum right now

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

What is essential to one person is not to another, many of the meals I have cooked on lock down have been made from fresher ingredients then when I'm in a rush to make dinner after work, it's not essential to have fresh vegetables, I could fill up with frozen and not get anything fresh, but I feel it's necessary to find a balance. We shouldn't be judging each other we should be looking after each other.

London

[Removed by poster at 16/04/20 01:08:02]

London

"What is essential to one person is not to another, many of the meals I have cooked on lock down have been made from fresher ingredients then when I'm in a rush to make dinner after work, it's not essential to have fresh vegetables, I could fill up with frozen and not get anything fresh, but I feel it's necessary to find a balance. We shouldn't be judging each other we should be looking after each other."

think the OP was hoping that people would agree with her that alcohol and smokes are not essential, a negative spin on these 2 items.

But no one took a bit out of that bait.

Been speaking to a work colleague, he said. I'm having a great time with my loving family. We asked what's your secret during this lockdown his reply. Alcohol. Or else he could stand them.. ?? They drive me nuts.

Point his small things like smokes and alcohol helps us deal with this. Others it may be somethinf else. Each to their own.

It's nothing, it's staggering just how naive and myopic others are. That's honestly been one of the biggest things on my mind for a while

Its very hard for everyone on the spectrum right now "

And those who aren't but... It's weird because in some ways life is easier for some spectrumites. Anyway... Perhaps I ought to take drink/fags back up or go elsewhere

By *mcouple2Couple  over a year ago

Warrington

Any business allowed to stay open can sell anything they have in stock. Prime minister spokesman when Boris come out of intensive care.

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Haven't smoked for 4 days

By *aughtyYorkGentMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

"Non-essential" *

and your point is?

and your point is? "

The point is this one believes that the poor should live in misery, that those claiming benefits are scroungers and other things along that line

and your point is?

The point is this one believes that the poor should live in misery, that those claiming benefits are scroungers and other things along that line"

Maybe, who knows.

Essential shopping is anything along the lines of food, drink & anything for medicinal purposes and that covers booze & fags

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Retail income is keeping businesses bouyant and supporting employment and the economy. We could all eat gruel and drink water but don't.

Divide and conquer is unpalatable. Keep focused on staying psychologically healthy, avoiding ill will towards others

By *ncutgemMan  over a year ago

Bath ish

"They are essential to smokers and alcoholics"
smokers and alcoholics are none essential ,,,swingers are

and your point is?

The point is this one believes that the poor should live in misery, that those claiming benefits are scroungers and other things along that line"

Christ. You took an awful lot from her original OP.

Could you also tell who’s she going back for next years Grand National?

By *he riverdeep69Couple  over a year ago

North west ish

As a non smoker and someone who rarely drinks I totally disagree with you OP. For you and me they may not be essential, but for some they are necessarities and needed for them to function.

By *ch WellMan  over a year ago

Scotland

If I'm going to Tesco for a tin of paint then that is non essential. If I'm going to Tesco for bread, milk, meat, fruit, veg and a tin of paint then that is essential. You can buy whatever you want I'd the shops are selling it but don't take the piss

What a weird thread. For weeks here people have been condemning anyone that does anything other than sit at home as it might cost the NHS. Go out in a car? You might crash. Go out twice in a day? You’re the virus vector. DIY? Pfft. You might lop a finger off. And on it goes.

Someone advances that two substances that do actually cost the NHS a fortune and everyone is jumping up and down on her!

How wonderfully fickle we are

By *averockrockMan  over a year ago

swindon

Without a clear distinction of what is essential and what it is not, unfortunately everything becomes subjective! in my view fags and alcohol are not essentials but for a smoker and alcoholic they are essentials. More guidance on definitions of words is necessary from the government! Shamble!

OP we’ve just had Easter sure people bought Easter eggs for their kids would you say no to that too as chocolate sure isn’t essential.

I’m no where near being alcoholic just enjoy a beer intone garden when it’s sunny. We are all being made to stay home why can’t we have a bit of what we fancy.

Course they're non-essential.

Thing is though, a hell of a lot of us are stuck at home with kids that argue, fight and otherwise act like bored little shits so we need a blood tipple when they are on bed.

If I'm doing the food shop and I fancy a drink, I'm buying a drink.

After all, I'm already out buying the essentials so the risk isn't heightened in any way

"Without a clear distinction of what is essential and what it is not, unfortunately everything becomes subjective! in my view fags and alcohol are not essentials but for a smoker and alcoholic they are essentials. More guidance on definitions of words is necessary from the government! Shamble!"

Or people could just be sensible

By *ackandtheunicornCouple  over a year ago

liverpool

They are definitely essential for some people. Taking that away will probably lead to riots or something worse. It makes no difference what people buy, they're all sold in the same shop as a tin of beans so why worry?

[Removed by poster at 16/04/20 07:41:31]

"What a weird thread. For weeks here people have been condemning anyone that does anything other than sit at home as it might cost the NHS. Go out in a car? You might crash. Go out twice in a day? You’re the virus vector. DIY? Pfft. You might lop a finger off. And on it goes.

Someone advances that two substances that do actually cost the NHS a fortune and everyone is jumping up and down on her!

How wonderfully fickle we are "

Removing alcohol from alcoholics will cost the NHS resources we simply don’t have right now. People forget how dangerous it is for an alcoholic to simply stop drinking.

Also the risk of domestic violence will jump up massively at that time, when it’s already heightened as it is.

The cost to the NHS is a balance. At this moment detoxing alcoholics is a cost we can’t afford

By *uttyjonnMan  over a year ago

cheshire

Im sure there are many healthcare workers and other essential workers who need a glass of alcohol at the end of a long shift and by gawd they deserve one

By *ULL IN A CHINA SHOPMan  over a year ago

south coast

TRIGGERED!!

"Im sure there are many healthcare workers and other essential workers who need a glass of alcohol at the end of a long shift and by gawd they deserve one "

I second this. Many people will be coming off long shifts dealing with we can only imagine. They may need that glass of wine or bottle of beer to relax enough to sleep so they are well rested for the next days shift.

(From this Thread and others)

It seems during this lockdown so many are becoming rather nasty and pushing their opinions onto others....

what is essential to one person may not be to another... however doesn't mean you can go round slating them for what ever reason to make yourself feel better.

By *n With LifeCouple  over a year ago

Hadley Wood

"Im sure there are many healthcare workers and other essential workers who need a glass of alcohol at the end of a long shift and by gawd they deserve one

I second this. Many people will be coming off long shifts dealing with we can only imagine. They may need that glass of wine or bottle of beer to relax enough to sleep so they are well rested for the next days shift.

It seems during this lockdown so many are becoming rather nasty and pushing their opinions onto others....

what is essential to one person may not be to another... however doesn't mean you can go round slating them for what ever reason to make yourself feel better."

The nastiness on fabs pre dates this crisis!

I bought my 3 kids easter eggs last week along with my weekly food shop

Shoot me now OP

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Then walk past them when you do your shopping..

By *ab_SparklesWoman  over a year ago

sparkle Surprised

"The last thing the NHS needs is alcoholics going cold turkey right now. It’s dangerous "

Totally agree, it's not nice. From a 4yr recovering alcoholic.

Agreed.

These are luxuries not essentials.

For those people who do find these are essential items, it is you that clogs up the NHS all year round.

Agreed.

For those people who do find these are essential items, it is you that clogs up the NHS all year round. "

Would you care to share your shopping list so we can tell you off for the non essential items you bought?

Agreed.

For those people who do find these are essential items, it is you that clogs up the NHS all year round.

Would you care to share your shopping list so we can tell you off for the non essential items you bought?

"

Food is on mine.

Agreed.

Food is on mine. "

Is it all absolutely essential?

No wee treats?

(If you say no, I'm not likely to believe you)

in Lancashire

Agreed.

For those people who do find these are essential items, it is you that clogs up the NHS all year round. "

We have several NHS staff on duty within our family and friends, colleagues etc and for some after a shift I reckon a glass of something is well needed and earned..

Agreed.

Food is on mine.

Is it all absolutely essential?

No wee treats?

(If you say no, I'm not likely to believe you) "

Treats? No... I have to go shopping for myself, and both of my elderly parents together. So I am very limited.

And to be frank, I do not care if you believe me for not...

Agreed.

We have several NHS staff on duty within our family and friends, colleagues etc and for some after a shift I reckon a glass of something is well needed and earned.. "

But essential?

Agreed.

We have several NHS staff on duty within our family and friends, colleagues etc and for some after a shift I reckon a glass of something is well needed and earned.. "

I'm not NHS staff, or a key worker, but I'm still having a glass of wine with my dinner because they go nice together

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Non essential things I've bought in the last three weeks.

Haribos, Jack Daniel's, Wine, Cake, Bubble Bath, Easter Eggs, Vape Batteries, Wii Games, A Large Dildo, an Ice Scraper for the car.

Fuckin shoot me now.....

A

in Lancashire

Agreed.

We have several NHS staff on duty within our family and friends, colleagues etc and for some after a shift I reckon a glass of something is well needed and earned..

But essential? "

Each to their own I would think..

Isdue is perhaps that supermarkets sell a much wider range of products than just food..

If I need a hinge for the toilet door then that to me would be essential in this time as the builders merchants is shut..

Where the line is drawn is too subjective to manage in such a time..

By * and R cple4Couple  over a year ago

swansea

If all this has taught me something it’s how self righteous selfish and judgemental people are...

By *ornyhappyCouple  over a year ago

perth

What is essential to one is not necessarily essential to another.

I bought Easter eggs for my kids because, to me, maintaining some sort of normality for them in the midst of all this is essential for their mental health.

I suppose one could argue that at least 75% of what is stocked in supermarkets isn't necessarily "essential" , but if all of those things were removed it would have a huge impact on both individuals and on the already struggling economy.

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

"If all this has taught me something it’s how self righteous selfish and judgemental people are..."

Some people are having a good pandemic, its a great opportunity to criticise and shame others.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-52230081

Cometh the hour, cometh the self-righteous

By *ingo69Man  over a year ago

north staffs south cheshire

essential has quite number of meanings https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/essential

perth

If everyone stops buying anything other than absolute bare essentials then the economy shall be in even more trouble than it already is, & more companies will go out of business and more jobs will be lost.

As long as people are adhering to the one trip for essential shopping, does it really matter what they buy?

Paint & accessories

Booze

Chocolate (B&M were selling off massive bags of Smarties & Milky Bar mini eggs for a quid on Tuesday so I stocked up!). Just hoping I'm disciplined enough to keep some for the nephews.

I take one trip out a week (late in the day when quieter) and go in 2 shops that are next door to each other, from which I buy essential items in both. I see no issues with anyone doing similar as long as they're not travelling round having a shopping spree in multiple stores.

Like I posted in another thread previously... a woman turning up at Aldi because she needed an onion IS NOT essential.

By *omplexchiqueTV/TS  over a year ago

Sale

"If everyone stops buying anything other than absolute bare essentials then the economy shall be in even more trouble than it already is, & more companies will go out of business and more jobs will be lost.

As long as people are adhering to the one trip for essential shopping, does it really matter what they buy?

"

This is a very good point and typifies the deep dilemma's we all currently face. Also, it highlights the type of important discussions that are not being surfaced anywhere in the mass media at the moment. On one hand the UK (and global) economy with all its facets, including to an extent our sanity, are at stake if we all stop buying 'stuff'. On the other, the demand created by 'buying anything and everything' (especially via online) will do nothing to improve the sustainability of the planets resources, reduce manufacturing emissions or help stop exploitation of slave labour (all of which are more hidden from view of than ever before). The question therefore is do we buy anything and everything because we can, or do we exercise restraint and think about buying what we truly only need?

"Without a clear distinction of what is essential and what it is not, unfortunately everything becomes subjective! in my view fags and alcohol are not essentials but for a smoker and alcoholic they are essentials. More guidance on definitions of words is necessary from the government! Shamble!"

No we don't.

We go out to buy essentials and then can purchase other stuff available at the time. I wanted to buy some soil but Aldi didn't have any, the buggers .

"Im sure there are many healthcare workers and other essential workers who need a glass of alcohol at the end of a long shift and by gawd they deserve one

what is essential to one person may not be to another... however doesn't mean you can go round slating them for what ever reason to make yourself feel better."

The OP is stating an opinion, not slating anyone.

Agreed.

Rather judgemental. These items can be addictive. This is recognised by the NHS. Help can be attained providing the person has initial motivation to stop.

Agreed.

But essential? "

So what if you deem it non-essential? It actually could be if it lowers levels of cortisol (which rises in times of stress).

"What is essential to one is not necessarily essential to another.

I bought Easter eggs for my kids because, to me, maintaining some sort of normality for them in the midst of all this is essential for their mental health.

I suppose one could argue that at least 75% of what is stocked in supermarkets isn't necessarily "essential" , but if all of those things were removed it would have a huge impact on both individuals and on the already struggling economy.

"

Exactly, and if we buy items during our Essential shopping trip, fuck anyone else looking down on us as it's a little towards the economy.

"If everyone stops buying anything other than absolute bare essentials then the economy shall be in even more trouble than it already is, & more companies will go out of business and more jobs will be lost.

"

This is common sense but sadly common sense isn't common

Different things are essential for different people.

If I could not get dressed up once in a while and cam party I would be depressed as hell, and mental health is important too.

So yes, fags, booze and my hair dye are essential to me

By *herryblossom_BJWoman  over a year ago

Oxfordshire/Hampshire

My friends in Barbados, their government banned anyone buying alcohol as they fear it causes too many problems from health and mental point of view. Drinking alcohol and smoking definitely lowers your immunity and lung health to fight the virus, if you contract it. Its highly contagious. I know far too many people now you got it, had it and died from it.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

If it’s sold in a shop that’s open I don’t see an issue whether it’s essential or not.

For me it would be the nature of the journey if that’s essential or over frequent.

By *ornykinkycouple84Couple  over a year ago

Chesterfield

Me and Angela are having a drink tonight, just got the keys for our first home together so why not? People can still buy what they want

in Lancashire

Agreed.

But essential?

So what if you deem it non-essential? It actually could be if it lowers levels of cortisol (which rises in times of stress). "

This..

To say to anyone on the very front line of this issue, sorry its not essential that you pop in on your way home after a long day to pick up a bottle of tonic for the g n t you plan on having when your in a much needed bath is beyond picky..

By *etite_delightWoman  over a year ago

BunnyLand

Anything available for purchase that you believe it will keep a person safe and sane can be consider as essential.

As long as you obey the NHS rules of social distancing and hygiene whilst out shopping and not touching everything you see for the sake of others protection. I don’t see any wrong.

By *herryblossom_BJWoman  over a year ago

Oxfordshire/Hampshire

Agreed.

But essential?

So what if you deem it non-essential? It actually could be if it lowers levels of cortisol (which rises in times of stress).

This..

To say to anyone on the very front line of this issue, sorry its not essential that you pop in on your way home after a long day to pick up a bottle of tonic for the g n t you plan on having when your in a much needed bath is beyond picky..

"

When i rushed into supermarket doing my weekly shop of fruit, veg and meat. I noticed two people in front of me just buying crate a beer and 2 yogurts. I just think of the poor doctors and nurses fighting this virus for us. Just think people need to be more responsible and respectful to the people it really affects by shopping more wizer.

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I am trying to go for a walk each day.

Whilst out I might post something I have sold in Ebay or buy basics at the local shop, or even fish fingers because I fancy them.

When out and about, I like to take cheerful photos to share online, in an attemptto brighten the day of those who cannot safely go outside.

I have no problem with others doing the same, whist maintaining social distancing.

I have also bought and used hair dye during lockdown.

Whilst not essential in the true sense of the word, all the above are a boost to my mental health and hopefully that of others.

Can't find lube no where

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Agreed.

But essential?

This..

When i rushed into supermarket doing my weekly shop of fruit, veg and meat. I noticed two people in front of me just buying crate a beer and 2 yogurts. I just think of the poor doctors and nurses fighting this virus for us. Just think people need to be more responsible and respectful to the people it really affects by shopping more wizer. "

Maybe they were key workers who just fancied a beer on a rare night off and a yoghurt for breakfast next morning?

I couldn't give a fuck what anyone buys right now. None of my business.

A

Muller corners? ??

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

There's a balance to be struck between essentials and mental health. They're predicting a lot of PTSD will come out of this.

[Removed by poster at 16/04/20 11:48:57]

Judging from Ivory towers

what is essential to one person may not be to another... however doesn't mean you can go round slating them for what ever reason to make yourself feel better.

The OP is stating an opinion, not slating anyone. "

Read the first bit about pushing opinions.... and also called the section From this thread and others)….

We all have arseholes doesn't mean everyone wants to see them.

Also there is a lot more going on then worrying about what people buy or deem as essential/Non-essential.... just showing a lot of the mentality of people.

It's also why a lot of people (myself included) worry when try to do a normal shop... this included affecting the mental health of people.

Didn't say in any part of the OP slating..... Thank You

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Whatever gets you through the lock down is essential I think

"Whatever gets you through the lock down is essential I think"

I agree with this. Whatever gets you through this time is essential. Could even be planting some seeds .

Having wine in the evening

doing a touch of DIY ….

Thank you for saying that "

i believe the rules have been relaxed for autistic/ vulnerable people recently. Not much has changed for us anyway our son never leaves his gaming room as it is lol

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Whatever gets you through the lock down is essential I think

I agree with this. Whatever gets you through this time is essential. Could even be planting some seeds .

Having wine in the evening

doing a touch of DIY ….

"

yeah I think so . If they didnt want people buying DIY stuff the shops wouldnt be open.. x

.I did buy garden furniture..and some other bits during the lock down which might not have been some peoples essential. But I have an adult wit severe learning difficulties stuck at home as nothing she would do normally is open. Who is getting very down and now had her own little set up in the garden and her own little patch in the garden...

Oh and a glass of wine for me after a shift on the phone lines is much needed

Forum Mod

O o O oo

and your point is?

I don't know how you got to that from the OP. It would help to have some respect for other posters rather than say "this one "

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Whatever gets you through the lock down is essential I think"

PS I don't drink or smoke but did used to smoke and I would say they are essential if you are a smoker, unless of course you decide to stop in the lock down. As an ex smoker, I would have said that isn't the best time to do it, especially if you had small kids

This may be controversial I know, but if you are going to buy anything at all I think it needs to be within your normal essential shop rather than going out for fags one day, drink because you have ran out the next, or me going out for just fig rolls because I have ran out.

We are meant to going out the least we can and surely we should buy anything we need on the one trip out

Derry

and your point is?

The point is this one believes that the poor should live in misery, that those claiming benefits are scroungers and other things along that line

I don't know how you got to that from the OP. It would help to have some respect for other posters rather than say "this one " "

Pitchforks are essential items for some folk

Read the first bit about pushing opinions.... and also called the section From this thread and others)….

Also there is a lot more going on then worrying about what people buy or deem as essential/Non-essential.... just showing a lot of the mentality of people.

It's also why a lot of people (myself included) worry when try to do a normal shop... this included affecting the mental health of people.

Didn't say in any part of the OP slating..... Thank You "

It's not often I put 2+2 and make 5, sorry

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

To answer your questions.the fags and booze are non essential to me personally,because i dont smoke or drink alcohol.others might say chocolate or cream cakes are non essential to them,but a person that enjoys them.those are essential for them.

Didn't say in any part of the OP slating..... Thank You

It's not often I put 2+2 and make 5, sorry "

"To answer your questions.the fags and booze are non essential to me personally,because i dont smoke or drink alcohol.others might say chocolate or cream cakes are non essential to them,but a person that enjoys them.those are essential for them."

I was wondering whether you had started the post in view of getting people to state non-essentials as in their opinions.

Sometimes how you begin the thread is important to how the thread continues

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

There was someone on tv today, who was clarifying what is essential and not essential. There are very mixed messages coming from the shops. So he says that you can buy a power drill to fix your fence, that has blown down in the wind, but you can't buy paint and brushes. I get that, but if you are in wilkos or a similar store, buying your shampoo, soap, home cleaning products, essential itms,why can't you pick up a can of paint, at the same time? We're all trying to keep ourselves busy.

Good luck stopping me buying fags when I do essential shopping for family on my way home from work being a key worker.

That 5 min fag break whilst at work helps my mental health in already stressful environment.

No doubt you would class your hair dye as essential as I see my fags are.

Agreed.

Must be so hard being so perfect and judgemental.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai / Nottingham

We’re finding it so hard to get duty free right now, unless you’re in the know, no way im paying these UK prices (and the packets are horrible) even the dark web sites have sold out of Marlboro touch now , any ideas ?

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai / Nottingham

"Whatever gets you through the lock down is essential I think

PS I don't drink or smoke but did used to smoke and I would say they are essential if you are a smoker, unless of course you decide to stop in the lock down. As an ex smoker, I would have said that isn't the best time to do it, especially if you had small kids

This may be controversial I know, but if you are going to buy anything at all I think it needs to be within your normal essential shop rather than going out for fags one day, drink because you have ran out the next, or me going out for just fig rolls because I have ran out.

We are meant to going out the least we can and surely we should buy anything we need on the one trip out"

We only really smoke when making porn , but it’s still pretty essential we have the right brand.

By *edVelveteenCouple  over a year ago

Heaven in the Midlands

I'm in lockdown at work. It's a residential home but I didn't have clothing to replace my uniform for my 'days off'. I was able to buy some pants and jeans from supermarkets that just happened to have clothing as well, but I held my breath waiting for the 'non-essential' comments.

Agreed.

But essential? "

What difference does it make if someone is already there doing a food shop.

Or they add them to a click and collect order?

Are you aware that bottles and cans are the only thing keeping breweries operating right now, that’s keeping the operators in jobs, the logistics in jobs, glass and can manufacturers in jobs, farmers of hops and barley in jobs.....

If the workers who are currently propping the country up want to grab a few beers or a pack of cans whilst doing their food shopping more power to them.

By *edVelveteenCouple  over a year ago

Heaven in the Midlands

Who is anybody to say what is essential for anyone else at any particular time? We're all out of our comfort zones, probably a little scared if we're being honest. Whatever gets us through, I say.

By *pforfun06Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

I haven’t been in any of the large stores since the lockdown started I prefer to support the smaller local businesses like the butcher and the spar can get everything you need in them also had a bereavement last week so used the local florist not essential to some people just now but was to me, also used the local ice cream van when they came round to get the kids an ice cream also not essential but the kids loved it it made life feel normal to them so I don’t apologise to anyone for what is classed as essential

I know you can't buy make up, hair dye and other things in superdrug its the same thing in Boots they have blocked parts of the shop off.

chelmsford

"Who is anybody to say what is essential for anyone else at any particular time? We're all out of our comfort zones, probably a little scared if we're being honest. Whatever gets us through, I say."

Me too, especially if they're shopping for their essential items at the same time, so no extra journeys involved.

By *armar61Man  over a year ago

redditch

Too much time on your hands if your bothered about whats in someone elses trolly.... it will only bother me if i have to pay for said goods other than that i couldnt give a flying fuck what people are buying..... concentrate on your own shopping

chelmsford

"I know you can't buy make up, hair dye and other things in superdrug its the same thing in Boots they have blocked parts of the shop off."

You can in wilkos, but I did buy paracetamol and gaviscon too.

chelmsford

"Too much time on your hands if your bothered about whats in someone elses trolly.... it will only bother me if i have to pay for said goods other than that i couldnt give a flying fuck what people are buying..... concentrate on your own shopping"

If that was directed at me, I was really wondering what others experiences were and how shops differ

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

Agreed.

Food is on mine. "

Yes but was the food you bought the basic necessities to sustain life or was it non essential food that you bought because you enjoy it.

By *armar61Man  over a year ago

redditch

Only directed at OP so chillax _amiss x

"I know you can't buy make up, hair dye and other things in superdrug its the same thing in Boots they have blocked parts of the shop off."

More fool them.

"I know you can't buy make up, hair dye and other things in superdrug its the same thing in Boots they have blocked parts of the shop off.

More fool them. "

yeah I dont understand this.. as one of the things we are encouraging people to do is dress up at least once a week.. and for people to keep on top of things like hair dye as it's good for mental wellbeing. I put make up on for the first time since lockdown the other day..and felt so much better

It depends on which Superdrug or Boots store

The stores that have aisles blocked off are for staffing reasons. Especially in stores which have pharmacies and are focussing on those.

It’s not a nationwide policy for either store

"I know you can't buy make up, hair dye and other things in superdrug its the same thing in Boots they have blocked parts of the shop off.

The stores that have aisles blocked off are for staffing reasons. Especially in stores which have pharmacies and are focussing on those.

It’s not a nationwide policy for either store "

Our local boots have a Facebook page set up if you want any store items email them the list and they will be ready for collection the following afternoon.

I'm working 90 hours a week in a warehouse supplying all the shit you buy online, and we process nearly 200k of orders a day. 95% has been garden furniture, wigs, party balloons, varnish, hot-tubs, candles and Astro turf. Tell the 200 people crammed in and picking it 'that its essential'. If they want a ciggie and a beer after I'd say that is more important and to crack on (currently sat having a ciggie and a beer)

Last time I looked we were a democracy,if the shops are open and selling booze,fags ,paint ect then surely we are allowed to buy them.In South Africa where they have banned the sale of booze and cigs during lock down there is civil unrest and looting.

By *leaserforPleasureTV/TS  over a year ago

Whitstable

Fly tipping is apparently on the increase as council tips are closed.

Now i know its not essential to dump garden waste or other stuff at this time but if you are asking people to stay at home then they will do things there which will require certain services.

Surely its okay to open a council tip and let one car in at a time?

Yes i know the scenario for risk factor but surely there has to be some common sense applied.

"Fly tipping is apparently on the increase as council tips are closed.

Now i know its not essential to dump garden waste or other stuff at this time but if you are asking people to stay at home then they will do things there which will require certain services.

Yes i know the scenario for risk factor but surely there has to be some common sense applied."

Round here the guys who normally run the tip are covering for isolating/sick/shielding bin guys

Derry

This is where social responsibility comes into play. The less journeys, the less foot traffic, the less contact outside of your one immediate circle the better. I know every one has there own priorities but I have to question why takeaways are open. If they are it should be delivery only. The more movement there is, the greater the chance for transmission.

It’s not a nationwide policy for either store "

Oh that's good. Staff are their responsibility.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

The government thought alcohol was essential enough to keep off licenses open. No ?

If you smoke then cigarettes are essential, but if you get Covid 19 it's unlikely you'll ever get to see a ventilator if you need one but it's personal choice.

I bought some lottery scratch cards in Tesco the other day, not essential but I dont give a shit what anyone thinks

perth

I'd say maybe a vacuum cleaner and laundry basket may be essential to some, eh op?

M.

chelmsford

"Only directed at OP so chillax _amiss x "

So if you 'quote' when replying, we'll know who you're replying to

chelmsford

More fool them. "

That I don't understand

chelmsford

"Fly tipping is apparently on the increase as council tips are closed.

Yes i know the scenario for risk factor but surely there has to be some common sense applied."

This I totally agree with, the order is to stay at home and people will be gardening, we have loads of waste.

More fool them. ,

That I don't understand"

The stores that have those aisles closed off don’t have the staff to deal with shopping and pharmacy

chelmsford

More fool them. ,

That I don't understand

The stores that have those aisles closed off don’t have the staff to deal with shopping and pharmacy"

Ok thank you

By *iger4uWoman  over a year ago

In my happy place

Well im totally responsible for keeping my mum supplied in lockdown. So in the past 3 weeks ive varied where I get her shopping but included a new garden chair, plants, compost, body creme and face oil and percy pigs. I always do food shopping for both of us and take hers straight round by car.

Morale is part of wellbeing.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The police seems to have revised guidelines on what can be shopped for, it's a bit broader than many people assumed

chelmsford

"Well im totally responsible for keeping my mum supplied in lockdown. So in the past 3 weeks ive varied where I get her shopping but included a new garden chair, plants, compost, body creme and face oil and percy pigs. I always do food shopping for both of us and take hers straight round by car.

Morale is part of wellbeing. "

Quite right, I do the same for my dad

chelmsford

"The police seems to have revised guidelines on what can be shopped for, it's a bit broader than many people assumed "

Where can we find that info please, it would be handy to know, I always feel guilty when I go to the tills

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

I think it was only one police force that mistakenly said that only essential items could be purchased and they would check shopping trolleys.

If the shop is allowed to be open, you can buy whatever they are offering for sale, subject to the usial laws and local quantity restrictions.

Personally, I'd avoid unreasonable trips though and buy non essentials with essentials.

chelmsford

"I think it was only one police force that mistakenly said that only essential items could be purchased and they would check shopping trolleys.

If the shop is allowed to be open, you can buy whatever they are offering for sale, subject to the usial laws and local quantity restrictions.

Personally, I'd avoid unreasonable trips though and buy non essentials with essentials."

that's what I do.

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

chelmsford

" "

Ooh is that for me?

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

"

Ooh is that for me? "

No that was for the OP, I should have quoted but I'm a bit tipsy on my non essential wine

chelmsford

"

Ooh is that for me?

No that was for the OP, I should have quoted but I'm a bit tipsy on my non essential wine "

Haha enjoy!

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

Looks like the old bill have been reading this thread

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8226325/Police-list-things-coronavirus-lockdown-cant.html

By *uicy jonesMan  over a year ago

near a big hill in s/ shropshire NOT in

Trainers from Nike website

chelmsford

"Looks like the old bill have been reading this thread

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8226325/Police-list-things-coronavirus-lockdown-cant.html"

You can't paint your kitchen but you can go to a friend's house to 'cool off' whilst spreading the virus

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8226325/Police-list-things-coronavirus-lockdown-cant.html

You can't paint your kitchen but you can go to a friend's house to 'cool off' whilst spreading the virus "

I suppose helping your friend paint their kitchen is a no no too? Even if you're "cooling off?"

[Removed by poster at 17/04/20 01:22:33]

The shops sell these items. They are bought. GOI.

By *atselevenWoman  over a year ago

Blackpool

"The last thing the NHS needs is alcoholics going cold turkey right now. It’s dangerous "

Definitely my friends ex husband was an alcoholic, when he stopped drinkimg he had firs, one day he had a fit and didn't come back from it, so i agree alcohol is an essential item x

We were looking at hot tub retailers today online...one site was so busy with traffic we had a ten minute queue system just to get on site... that's a lot of essential purchases

By *xMFM3sumsxxWoman  over a year ago

SouthWest Lancashire

Ordered paint and stuff online and it came yesterday. Gonna do up my rollator in the hopes that i don't look like so much of an old biddy when using it.

chelmsford

You can't paint your kitchen but you can go to a friend's house to 'cool off' whilst spreading the virus

I suppose helping your friend paint their kitchen is a no no too? Even if you're "cooling off?""

Hmmmmm.....good question....

By *carlettxWoman  over a year ago

Essex

If it’s available when you are in the shop for ‘essentials’ then why the hell not shouldn’t you get it ??

I admit I’m finding it hard being at home instead of working having been furloughed so if there is something available that helps me to occupy my time then it’s very essential for me to get - saving my sanity !

Parents with kids - buying arts and crafts and board games is enabling them to spend quality time with them, something they probably don’t get much time to do when working etc

I keep marine fish - have no choice but to go to the aquatic shops basically to keep them alive - some may say that’s not essential but I have thousands of pounds invested in that ... extremely essential to me and I’m not going to feel guilty for it !

We need to all be less quick to judge and more understanding I think

chelmsford

"If it’s available when you are in the shop for ‘essentials’ then why the hell not shouldn’t you get it ??

I admit I’m finding it hard being at home instead of working having been furloughed so if there is something available that helps me to occupy my time then it’s very essential for me to get - saving my sanity !

Parents with kids - buying arts and crafts and board games is enabling them to spend quality time with them, something they probably don’t get much time to do when working etc

I keep marine fish - have no choice but to go to the aquatic shops basically to keep them alive - some may say that’s not essential but I have thousands of pounds invested in that ... extremely essential to me and I’m not going to feel guilty for it !

We need to all be less quick to judge and more understanding I think "

By *eneral HysteriaMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

Posting shite: not essential.

Heard on news....missed which area it was. Some senior police officer saying that creosote, nails etc essential for garden fence etc...but paint for kitchen/house isn't.

You couldn't make it up....but seems that he is!!

chelmsford

"Heard on news....missed which area it was. Some senior police officer saying that creosote, nails etc essential for garden fence etc...but paint for kitchen/house isn't.

You couldn't make it up....but seems that he is!!"

Newcastle

"Heard on news....missed which area it was. Some senior police officer saying that creosote, nails etc essential for garden fence etc...but paint for kitchen/house isn't.

You couldn't make it up....but seems that he is!!"

Coppers have fences to fix too!

chelmsford

You couldn't make it up....but seems that he is!!

Coppers have fences to fix too!

"

Of course

Agreed.

Rather judgemental. These items can be addictive. This is recognised by the NHS. Help can be attained providing the person has initial motivation to stop. "

Alcohol is estimated to cost the NHS around £3.5bn per year

Agreed.

Rather judgemental. These items can be addictive. This is recognised by the NHS. Help can be attained providing the person has initial motivation to stop.

"

That's an expensive bar tab for the office Christmas party

It's been said numerous times that if the shop sells it you can buy it. Therefore if a shop has paint you can buy it. What they are saying is you shouldn't just be going out to buy paint... but you could just buy fence stuff.. ( as technically it comes under keeping your home secure and boundaries clearly Marked x

Newcastle

"It's been said numerous times that if the shop sells it you can buy it. Therefore if a shop has paint you can buy it. What they are saying is you shouldn't just be going out to buy paint... but you could just buy fence stuff.. ( as technically it comes under keeping your home secure and boundaries clearly Marked x"

Boundaries are to be respected, you know that.

By *ch WellMan  over a year ago

Scotland

I shall be making a non essential trip today to make the non essential purchase of garden furniture because if the garden is as far as I'm gonna get for the foreseeable future then I'll be damned if I'm not gonna have something comfy to sit out on so that is an essential to me and to hell with anyone who argues otherwise, so there.

By *ove Bunnies2019Couple  over a year ago

basingstoke

"Course they're non-essential.

Thing is though, a hell of a lot of us are stuck at home with kids that argue, fight and otherwise act like bored little shits so we need a blood tipple when they are on bed.

If I'm doing the food shop and I fancy a drink, I'm buying a drink.

After all, I'm already out buying the essentials so the risk isn't heightened in any way"

By *erdyWoman  over a year ago

wiltshire

"They are essential to smokers and alcoholics"
this

wiltshire

and your point is?

that is not what OP said

By *ovegames42Man  over a year ago

london

What ever keeps the mind occupied during this unpredictable time and stops people suffering from stress anxiety or depression is essential.

So long as we are observing Socail distancing and carry out duties in a safe manner, should one be so quick to judge others.

london

[Removed by poster at 18/04/20 07:15:14]

london

"What ever keeps the mind occupied during this unpredictable time and stops people suffering from stress anxiety or depression is essential.

So long as we are observing Socail distancing and carry out duties in a safe manner, should one be so quick to judge others. "

Some people in society do not have the pleasure of a garden, balcony or a spacious property.

wiltshire

and your point is?

I don't know how you got to that from the OP. It would help to have some respect for other posters rather than say "this one " "

Well said

Agreed.

"

And Alcohol duty made the UK Government £10.7 billion and Tobacco £12 billion last year alone.

Agreed.

And Alcohol duty made the UK Government £10.7 billion and Tobacco £12 billion last year alone."

Money they government can obviously spare at this current time

By *carlettxWoman  over a year ago

Essex

Agreed.

And Alcohol duty made the UK Government £10.7 billion and Tobacco £12 billion last year alone.

Money they government can obviously spare at this current time "

Yes, totally.

I wonder what state the country would be in had the government NOT made such amounts through the taxes on top of such items

I was a smoker and paid god knows how much over the years. I don’t smoke now but certainly do not begrudge anyone that wants to neither would I say it’s non essential to but either !!!!

It’s just as ridiculous as saying buying sweets and cakes are ‘non essential’

The holier than thou attitudes that some seem to have adopted in the crisis pisses me off

Live your own life and stop dictating to others OP because maybe what you consider essential would annoy others but they’re too gracious to have a pop at you

Agreed.

Money they government can obviously spare at this current time

Yes, totally.

I wonder what state the country would be in had the government NOT made such amounts through the taxes on top of such items

I was a smoker and paid god knows how much over the years. I don’t smoke now but certainly do not begrudge anyone that wants to neither would I say it’s non essential to but either !!!!

It’s just as ridiculous as saying buying sweets and cakes are ‘non essential’

The holier than thou attitudes that some seem to have adopted in the crisis pisses me off

Live your own life and stop dictating to others OP because maybe what you consider essential would annoy others but they’re too gracious to have a pop at you

Totally agree, live and let live...not long ago we were asking people to be kind to one another some people forget very quickly

"

» Add a new message to this topic