FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > World Wide > Maldives

Maldives

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Planning a holiday for xmas time, wondered if anyone has done the Maldives?

If so any tips please?

Thanking you

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rank n BettyCouple  over a year ago

Stafford

Following with interest. Frank is desperate to go, me not so much as too much water!!

B x

"Following with interest. Frank is desperate to go, me not so much as too much water!!

B x "

It’s next on my bucket list, that or back to aus again. Fancied something new.

I’m a fat mermaid so love the water.

By *iss.RedWoman  over a year ago

somewhere

I've been a couple of times but not for a while. I always booked it all separately and found that cheapest. Decide what type of resort you would like, some are very small and others much bigger with several restaurants and facilities. I have stayed at a very opulent resort where we had our own butler and champagne served with breakfast and I've alao stayed in a cheaper resort with a buffet style restaurant and did lots of diving. At the end of the day it's the same amazing sea, sand and sky so your accommodation doesn't really matter too much

"I've been a couple of times but not for a while. I always booked it all separately and found that cheapest. Decide what type of resort you would like, some are very small and others much bigger with several restaurants and facilities. I have stayed at a very opulent resort where we had our own butler and champagne served with breakfast and I've alao stayed in a cheaper resort with a buffet style restaurant and did lots of diving. At the end of the day it's the same amazing sea, sand and sky so your accommodation doesn't really matter too much "

Thanks, I will go high end but seems so much choice.

Did you have any likes or dislikes?

somewhere

"I've been a couple of times but not for a while. I always booked it all separately and found that cheapest. Decide what type of resort you would like, some are very small and others much bigger with several restaurants and facilities. I have stayed at a very opulent resort where we had our own butler and champagne served with breakfast and I've alao stayed in a cheaper resort with a buffet style restaurant and did lots of diving. At the end of the day it's the same amazing sea, sand and sky so your accommodation doesn't really matter too much

"

I liked that on both the resorts I went to the accommodation was just one storey high. There were a lot of trees and vegetation on one of them and I suffered a lot from insect bites but it was also a larger island and you were given a bike to get around. The other was much smaller and could be walked round in less than 20 mins. Also the transfer was by speed boat rather than by seaplane

"I've been a couple of times but not for a while. I always booked it all separately and found that cheapest. Decide what type of resort you would like, some are very small and others much bigger with several restaurants and facilities. I have stayed at a very opulent resort where we had our own butler and champagne served with breakfast and I've alao stayed in a cheaper resort with a buffet style restaurant and did lots of diving. At the end of the day it's the same amazing sea, sand and sky so your accommodation doesn't really matter too much

I liked that on both the resorts I went to the accommodation was just one storey high. There were a lot of trees and vegetation on one of them and I suffered a lot from insect bites but it was also a larger island and you were given a bike to get around. The other was much smaller and could be walked round in less than 20 mins. Also the transfer was by speed boat rather than by seaplane"

Yes seaplane I will not do so speed boat is fine.

What time of year have you been?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Been twice, its utterly breathtaking and I loved it (hoping to go back in the not too distant future)

I loved the "no news no shoes" laid back, switch off from the world pace of the place. Depending on the resort you go to you can do as little or as much as you want. The snorkelling/diving is out of this world. If your budget allows I would recommend an over water villa where you can go straight into the sea from your room. Am off to google holidays there now and daydream!!

"Been twice, its utterly breathtaking and I loved it (hoping to go back in the not too distant future)

I loved the "no news no shoes" laid back, switch off from the world pace of the place. Depending on the resort you go to you can do as little or as much as you want. The snorkelling/diving is out of this world. If your budget allows I would recommend an over water villa where you can go straight into the sea from your room. Am off to google holidays there now and daydream!! "

I love the thought of the water villas but isn’t that a huge walk back to restruarants etc?

somewhere

I liked that on both the resorts I went to the accommodation was just one storey high. There were a lot of trees and vegetation on one of them and I suffered a lot from insect bites but it was also a larger island and you were given a bike to get around. The other was much smaller and could be walked round in less than 20 mins. Also the transfer was by speed boat rather than by seaplane

What time of year have you been?"

I've been in Feb and also in their 'wet' season in June but other than a few hours showers every so often it was warm and sunny

"Been twice, its utterly breathtaking and I loved it (hoping to go back in the not too distant future)

I loved the "no news no shoes" laid back, switch off from the world pace of the place. Depending on the resort you go to you can do as little or as much as you want. The snorkelling/diving is out of this world. If your budget allows I would recommend an over water villa where you can go straight into the sea from your room. Am off to google holidays there now and daydream!!

I love the thought of the water villas but isn’t that a huge walk back to restruarants etc? "

Took less than 5 mins from our villa to the restaurant on the resorts we stayed at. Most islands arent that big. And as Miss Red says the larger ones will have a "taxi" that can take you around if you need, this is usually a little car that you ring for when you need it. Also I found staying in a water villa cut down risk of beasties nibbling on you!! Its the sand flies that seemed to want to drink my blood by the bucket!

What time of year have you been?

I've been in Feb and also in their 'wet' season in June but other than a few hours showers every so often it was warm and sunny"

Thanks, I’m thinking over xmas which will be stupidly priced but worth it by the looks of it.

I love the thought of the water villas but isn’t that a huge walk back to restruarants etc?

Took less than 5 mins from our villa to the restaurant on the resorts we stayed at. Most islands arent that big. And as Miss Red says the larger ones will have a "taxi" that can take you around if you need, this is usually a little car that you ring for when you need it. Also I found staying in a water villa cut down risk of beasties nibbling on you!! Its the sand flies that seemed to want to drink my blood by the bucket! "

Thanks, all helpful.

Trying to get in now so I can find better deals and not last minute extra expense.

By *icentiousCouple  over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Went to one of the islands with one of the best reefs, great place, plus with it not being overly large they kept the insects down.

Although the first sight of a fruit bat was a tad disturbing.

Also was great fun when L made glass coming up the beach, she'd came nose to nose with a small shark when snorkelling in the reef, didn't think anyone could move that fast on sand in flippers.

So any particular resorts you could throw my way so I can plough my way through the crap ones?

By *inaryGuyMan  over a year ago

Near the River

"Planning a holiday for xmas time, wondered if anyone has done the Maldives?

If so any tips please?

Thanking you "

Yes yes yes,just do it. Best do an all inclusive package as it saves cost (no independent restaurants) and try a smaller island further away from Male the capital. I'm going in 3 weeks time to dive

If so any tips please?

Thanking you

Yes yes yes,just do it. Best do an all inclusive package as it saves cost (no independent restaurants) and try a smaller island further away from Male the capital. I'm going in 3 weeks time to dive "

Where are you staying.. not gonna stalk you don’t worry lol.

None of us dive but snorkel.

My 14 year old said he doesn’t even care about the internet lol

By *ushandkittyCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

Went on honeymoon to Villamandoo, can't recommend it enough, but definitely go all inclusive, so expensive to buy drinks and snacks on the island.

"Went on honeymoon to Villamandoo, can't recommend it enough, but definitely go all inclusive, so expensive to buy drinks and snacks on the island. "

Thank you, google time lol

"Went on honeymoon to Villamandoo, can't recommend it enough, but definitely go all inclusive, so expensive to buy drinks and snacks on the island. "

Am looking it’s stunning, how did you get to the island itself?

Gloucester

By sea plane it was great, from when we checked our luggage in in the UK the next time we saw it was waiting for us in our beach villa

"By sea plane it was great, from when we checked our luggage in in the UK the next time we saw it was waiting for us in our beach villa "

Was speed boat an option?

By *erminxWoman  over a year ago

Quinton

Been 4 times, heading back at the end of March

Recommend Kuredu in north, sea plane transfers from Male is a must

By *inaryGuyMan  over a year ago

Near the River

If so any tips please?

Thanking you

Yes yes yes,just do it. Best do an all inclusive package as it saves cost (no independent restaurants) and try a smaller island further away from Male the capital. I'm going in 3 weeks time to dive

Where are you staying.. not gonna stalk you don’t worry lol.

None of us dive but snorkel.

My 14 year old said he doesn’t even care about the internet lol"

It's a resort called Cinnamon Dhonvelli. Tbh, just go to any of them...if you haven't been before then any Maldives island and resort will seem amazing. Take a waterproof camera, nick some bread from the breakfast table and feed the fish! But recommend all inclusive wherever, then spend on any extras you please. Also be careful about transfers from airport to resort, some are extra, so read small print. Seaplanes can be a bit expensive, but needed if you go to a more remote island. Just go for 7 nights- anything more and you'll never come back!

By *is vixen at playCouple  over a year ago

Dundee

One day!!! Looks amazing. Had it booked a few years back but fell through. G

Gloucester

"By sea plane it was great, from when we checked our luggage in in the UK the next time we saw it was waiting for us in our beach villa

Was speed boat an option?"

not sure I think it may have been for night transfers

"Been 4 times, heading back at the end of March

Recommend Kuredu in north, sea plane transfers from Male is a must "

Won’t do seaplane so has to be a speedboat option

Absolutely beautiful place to visit, went there some years ago, take plenty of sun cream , i burnt my feet after a few days so ended up spending most of my time in the sea with the fish, our island also had a couple of baby sharks that swam around us everyday ( veggie sharks tho), if you like laying on the beach, snorkelling or diving its the place to go, the people were great & so was the food.

even better if you get to fly on the seaplane to your island, best views you can get. it was the only time the wife was in tears going home.

Do it !!

"Absolutely beautiful place to visit, went there some years ago, take plenty of sun cream , i burnt my feet after a few days so ended up spending most of my time in the sea with the fish, our island also had a couple of baby sharks that swam around us everyday ( veggie sharks tho), if you like laying on the beach, snorkelling or diving its the place to go, the people were great & so was the food.

even better if you get to fly on the seaplane to your island, best views you can get. it was the only time the wife was in tears going home.

Do it !!"

I don’t want to do seaplane, I find it hard enough getting on the Dreamliner lol

Gloucester

Another tip is if you intend to do a lot of snorkelling get a UV protective t-shirt, it's v easy to get a burnt back while swimming around

"Another tip is if you intend to do a lot of snorkelling get a UV protective t-shirt, it's v easy to get a burnt back while swimming around "

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

My I'm very jealous,it sound's perfect!

I’m looking forward to it for sure

"Absolutely beautiful place to visit, went there some years ago, take plenty of sun cream , i burnt my feet after a few days so ended up spending most of my time in the sea with the fish, our island also had a couple of baby sharks that swam around us everyday ( veggie sharks tho), if you like laying on the beach, snorkelling or diving its the place to go, the people were great & so was the food.

Do it !!

I don’t want to do seaplane, I find it hard enough getting on the Dreamliner lol"

The seaplane was my favourite part of the holiday!

Do it !!

I don’t want to do seaplane, I find it hard enough getting on the Dreamliner lol

The seaplane was my favourite part of the holiday!"

Noooo I can’t

By *ohn and kelly paigntonMan  over a year ago

Paignton

I’ve been to Kuredu 6 times & love the island so much so I have the logo tattooed on my arm lol, definitely all inclusive though

By *eordie JoJoTV/TS  over a year ago

Newcastle

If so any tips please?

Thanking you "

I went through a phase where I went 4 years off the trot been to both North and South Attoll .... but be warned once you have been .... every other holiday is shite it truly is paradise on Earth. The people are amazing tho most come from Sri Lanka than the Maldives themselves.... tho it does go from one end of the spectrum luxury to the other ... le Male (capital) is an eye opener ... poverty stricken ... they don’t have much but are happy folk ... I give them all my toiletries and almost brought one lad home haha .... I’m gained my Padi open water diving cert when I was there and the only two activities really are water and spa’s ... I took loads of autobiography’s and chilled and dived .... but defo recommended .... even landing in Le Male is an experience in itself

Went twice last year and booked the same resort again for this year, sought advice from a friend who has been many times and we are now absolutely hooked. The main advice given was don’t skimp as you do get what you pay for with regard to service, food etc etc. But the sea life and beaches I would imagine are pretty much the same wherever you go. Do your research on Trip advisor as there are literally 100’s of resorts to choose from. We opted for a very small island that you can walk all the way around within 15 minutes and one which is adult only. Many travel agents to choose from but the last couple of times we have used Purely Maldives who are fantastic and will guide and advise around your given budget

By *rank n BettyCouple  over a year ago

Stafford

"Following with interest. Frank is desperate to go, me not so much as too much water!!

B x

I’m a fat mermaid so love the water. "

I can’t really swim

B x

If so any tips please?

Thanking you I went through a phase where I went 4 years off the trot been to both North and South Attoll .... but be warned once you have been .... every other holiday is shite it truly is paradise on Earth. The people are amazing tho most come from Sri Lanka than the Maldives themselves.... tho it does go from one end of the spectrum luxury to the other ... le Male (capital) is an eye opener ... poverty stricken ... they don’t have much but are happy folk ... I give them all my toiletries and almost brought one lad home haha .... I’m gained my Padi open water diving cert when I was there and the only two activities really are water and spa’s ... I took loads of autobiography’s and chilled and dived .... but defo recommended .... even landing in Le Male is an experience in itself "

Thank you

"Went twice last year and booked the same resort again for this year, sought advice from a friend who has been many times and we are now absolutely hooked. The main advice given was don’t skimp as you do get what you pay for with regard to service, food etc etc. But the sea life and beaches I would imagine are pretty much the same wherever you go. Do your research on Trip advisor as there are literally 100’s of resorts to choose from. We opted for a very small island that you can walk all the way around within 15 minutes and one which is adult only. Many travel agents to choose from but the last couple of times we have used Purely Maldives who are fantastic and will guide and advise around your given budget"

Thanks for the tips, I’m slowly working my way through trip advisors.

B x

I’m a fat mermaid so love the water.

I can’t really swim

B x"

By *erminxWoman  over a year ago

Quinton

Kuredu is my favourite place, love it

Heading onto a boat and traveling round South Atoll this time

Looking for sharks (diving not hunting)

» Add a new message to this topic