FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > does being depressed lead to lose of sex drive

does being depressed lead to lose of sex drive

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *REW and HELEN OP   Couple  over a year ago

sutton in ashfield

hi just looking for advce really,my probelm being can being depressed lead to loss of sex drive and no being able to get a hard on?any serious advise greatly welcome ty

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *lackCherryCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

The body and the mind are one and they both work in unison, having problems on your mind will lead to a certain amount of sexual dysfunction.

Also if you are on anti depressants a lot of them will decrease sex drive down to almost nothing.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

Yes... Speak to your GP, I am sure they will be fab with you.

Good luck and speedy recovery

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

from someone who has been there got the t-shirt etc. Depression can result in you having a low sex drive.

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

"hi just looking for advce really,my probelm being can being depressed lead to loss of sex drive and no being able to get a hard on?any serious advise greatly welcome ty"

Short answer...yes it does...go and see your GP, depending on the cause counselling,,therapy, anti depressants,a lifestyle change,or any combination of the above may help.

i suffered from postnatal depression and each time my sex drive disappeared.Sometimes it is one of the first symptoms.

It is also worth seeing the GP to check there i nothing physically wrong

By *ath-N-DelCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow area

Do you have depression or do you think you have due to lack of sexual drive and not getting hard?

Stress or simply worrying about something can have same effect...

Sure there are a number of other causes..

Take the advice given and see your GP about it...x

I would say if you are feeling low and have been for more than two weeks see someone. I a mental health befriender and that's what we look for inservice users who have been depressed lo the past. Sex drive is said to be an indicator to depression. I am not not not saying that you are I am only a befriender not a doctor I simply saying low mood for more than two weeks is something that we would start to have the ' do you think your depression might be returning' conversation.

Definitely linked.

A word of caution - antidepressants can play havoc with sex drive and functioning. I had no libido at all when I took them. Cost me couple of relationships.

I could last for ages on them, but it was like the old boy was no longer attached to me! No stimulation at all!

Now, being off them for quite a while, my sex drive has returned, but PE is an issue for the first time ever.

Googling sex and anti-depressants shows just how common this all is.

I feel like I'm still in recovery and have been fairly upfront about my situation in my profile.

"hi just looking for advce really,my probelm being can being depressed lead to loss of sex drive and no being able to get a hard on?any serious advise greatly welcome ty"

being depressed will make you not feel like having sex but its the medication that makes you loose your sex drive

Its very common and the two do go hand in hand

Of course, when you're depressed you produce more cortisol. This is very similar to testosterone and compete with it, therefore you don't produce enough testosterone. This is valid for both m and f.

Im bi-polar have been since I was 16, medication is key, some makes me lose my sex drive n some sends me into overdrive, playing 5/6 times a day its about finding what works for u, also the more thinking and worrying about it tends to make it worse, be open with ur gp, urself, and partner/ partners!! Never be embarrassed hun, ur u, and ull get there!! Good luck n chin up xxx

Sorry but not in my case some meds send my sex drive on holiday!! But others well........ I think everyone is different and about what works best for u xx

By *ones_BoothCouple  over a year ago

Solihull

stress or depression will cause libdio to run away, and, unfortunatly the medication we use also does the same. 1 in 4 for the uk will at some time in there life have serious issues with depression/stress, and most of that number doesnt know or realise that there is a problem.

x

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

"Sorry but not in my case some meds send my sex drive on holiday!! But others well........ I think everyone is different and about what works best for u xx"

If anti depressants lower my sex drive then god help me,i would be unlivable with off them

people who are not qualified should be very careful about stating medicine will always have a certain side effect... especially to someone who is already vulnerable

I took anti depressants from the age of 15 to 18 and they never affected my sex drive. I read somewhere that women who are depressed want sex more often, i know i do because it make me feel better.

Yes it can do, as can stress too or general feeling low. Make an appointment with your GP to talk it over if its a concern

Definitely with Anxiety and Depression, but there are tablets taken for other medical conditions that cause problems in that way too. Have a chat with your GP.

Wolf

By *inktherapyCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

depression is a funny thing and can affect different people in opposite ways - someone depressed may not want to eat, another depressed person will comfort eat masses instead. IN the same way one depressed person may not want to have sex but another depressed person may crave it, possibly for the temporary attention and 'feel good' factor involved. Others may not want or be able to have sex in a relationship but can manage it in the context of relatively distant/ stranger sex.

It is impossible to define how depression will affect an individual

By *all-Eddies QosCouple  over a year ago

wirral

id say yes defo.....i was very bad last year. Didnt have sex for months and couldnt even manage to get myself off.....medication kills it even more and can affect your ability to orgasm. Bad times

By *umbriaman1962Man  over a year ago

outside of penrith

yes my ex wife had depression could go totaly of sex , then sometime be sex man,when to a club one night when she was back on sex and had sex with load of men then day after thought of what she had done made her go of sex again.

tablets she had off doctor killed her sex drive made her sleep 16 hours a day

I still think tablet maybe helped her but it was a bad time when she was on them.

ye go get help my sex drive went ,but there are othere issues with depression ,some of them so scary , my doctors were no help and just sent me away with no help or explanation ,and only when a hit a all time low did they send me to a clinic at hospitial,and had the whole thing explained, even having it explained helped me ,,some of the symtoms i got were aches and pains all over blured vision tight chest too name a few ,it scared the life out of me ,but please go get help there are some very good drugs out there (not always the answer) talking also helps

best wishes

"The body and the mind are one and they both work in unison, having problems on your mind will lead to a certain amount of sexual dysfunction.

Also if you are on anti depressants a lot of them will decrease sex drive down to almost nothing.

"

Its about finding what works best for you, being open with urself, family/partners, and spking to ur gp!!! Everyone is different and thing effect us differently! But ur not alone and when a question comes up ask and ull see someone has been through the same xxx sometimes medication aint the way either, alternative therapy is s great think to xxx

Its about finding what works best for you, being open with urself, family/partners, and spking to ur gp!!! Everyone is different and thing effect us differently! But ur not alone and when a question comes up ask and ull see someone has been through the same xxx sometimes medication aint the way either, alternative therapy is s great think to xxx

[Removed by poster at 13/03/12 11:41:26]

"Its about finding what works best for you, being open with urself, family/partners, and spking to ur gp!!! Everyone is different and thing effect us differently! But ur not alone and when a question comes up ask and ull see someone has been through the same xxx sometimes medication aint the way either, alternative therapy is s great think to xxx"
yes your right ... and i find it help looking things up on the net ... reading about it all if i am worried about things . x

"depression is a funny thing and can affect different people in opposite ways - someone depressed may not want to eat, another depressed person will comfort eat masses instead. IN the same way one depressed person may not want to have sex but another depressed person may crave it, possibly for the temporary attention and 'feel good' factor involved. Others may not want or be able to have sex in a relationship

but can manage it in the context of relatively distant/ stranger sex.

It is impossible to define how depression will affect an individual "

this is probably the best advice . From someone who has long term depression and been on many different meds.

we are all different and depression isnt a one size fits all illness

Chat to your GP ,choose the right meds for you ,if you need them.

There is no easy answer to this question

Angel x

i think depression can effect everyone differently but yeah it can lower your sex drive. medication may not change that.

By *ongeloloWoman  over a year ago

ipswich

Hi I too suffer with bi- polar. Totally agree with the above.

Yes depression can greatly affect your sex drive.. in both directions funily enough,,, some use sex as a crutch when depressed others avoid intimacy when depressed (conciously or subconciously for some)

I hope you feel better soon.. go see your doctor and if you dont wanna go on their pills ( which can also have an effect on sex drives) try taking the herbal supliment 5-htp ( available from your local holland and barratt ) it has worked wonders for me so far!

I take Vitamin D in quiet large doses to counteract loss of sex drive due to depression. I have started taking 5 times the RDA for a month and I can notice the difference.

Can do yes....but also anti depressants can have the same effect if you are prescribed them.....It makes sense that low mood can make you lose interest yes xxxx

Can do yes....but also anti depressants can have the same effect if you are prescribed them.....It makes sense that low mood can make you lose interest yes xxxx

This thread is another excellent example of how interesting and informative these forums can be !

Thanks to all for their contributions.

Sex drive, stimulation and the euphoria is mental as well as physical. If you feel physically ill you can go off sex and its the same with things like depression.

"hi just looking for advce really,my probelm being can being depressed lead to loss of sex drive and no being able to get a hard on?any serious advise greatly welcome ty

Sex drive, stimulation and the euphoria is mental as well as physical. If you feel physically ill you can go off sex and its the same with things like depression. "

I believe so too - the Mind the biggest, the most complex sex organ there is being impacted in many ways by things external to, and in some instances from within itself too.

Wolf

can i just say that antidepressents make it difficult to get to the finishing line but dont stop u trying.... depression is a nasty disease but if u want it u want it.... how do i know....cos i suffer from depression and take pills for it but it haznt stopped me loving the ladies

» Add a new message to this topic