FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Weight loss advice

Weight loss advice

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *igDD95 OP   Man  over a year ago

Watford

Hey there, im not sure if this is the correct place to post this but i wanted to ask anyways.

As i go back to university in the new year, I plan to change my diet and Start going to the gym, i'm just fed up with my looks and want to be healthier, does anyone have any tips/guides or regimes they use to help them stay healthy?.

Thanks

Dan

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It's a simple method but difficult to implement if you're not fully committed.

Don't eat processed foods, stay away from pre-packed, pre-cooked stuff.

Make your meals from scratch, fresh veg', meat and fish etc.

Smaller portions, more often and spread through the day. Lots of water all through the day.

And as far as exercise goes..........frequent and vigorous is the order of the day.

I lost 4 stone in 3 months

Gym every day and following Gillian McKeith's 'you are what you eat'

By *airy_HettyWoman  over a year ago

Greater London

Try swimming as it helps tone everything up and drink plenty of water. Not at the same time, mind.

Good luck.

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

Any exercise that significantly increases your heart rate will do, bike, run, weights, mix it up so you don't get bored! I'd highly recommend exercise classes if you can as you tend to put more effort in rather than wandering around a gym. I do a variety of cardio and weight lifting based classes plus 2 sessions at the gym each week.

As above eat clean. No processed crap. Avoid anything labelled low fat as that usually means high sugar. Just eat lean meat/fish, fruit, veg, salad. Can't go wrong. I've shifted 2 stone in 3 months x

Watford

Thanks for the advice everyone, I probably will start swimming too along with the gym, and i'll defo look into all the advice i've been given, thanks again everyone

Eat less junk. Move lots more. Drink 2 litres of water a day It's hard work but it will pay off. I've also now had a couple of slim freeze treatments to help tone up really stubborn areas.

Good luck

Drink lots off water and don't eat white bread

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

"Any exercise that significantly increases your heart rate will do, bike, run, weights, mix it up so you don't get bored! I'd highly recommend exercise classes if you can as you tend to put more effort in rather than wandering around a gym. I do a variety of cardio and weight lifting based classes plus 2 sessions at the gym each week.

As above eat clean. No processed crap. Avoid anything labelled low fat as that usually means high sugar. Just eat lean meat/fish, fruit, veg, salad. Can't go wrong. I've shifted 2 stone in 3 months x"

Be very careful with exercise, it can kill.

I had a heart attack a few years ago and was in an eight bed ward five of the beds were filled with footballers who took regular exercise. One bed had a bloke having a second bypass one was an empty bed and the last had me.

By *ooking75Man  over a year ago

Dudley

[Removed by poster at 20/12/14 20:06:31]

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

its simple realy eat less move more not rocket science you dont need expensive books with faddy diets just keep it simple . eat what you need and exercise walk to lectures take the stairs go the long way around

By *adybee77Woman  over a year ago

MAMOBA, miles and miles of bugger all (Aberdeenshire)

Having lost 17 stone over 5 years, eat less, move more - there is no point doing 4 classes a week and then sitting on your bum in between eating badly.

Eat clean, avoid processed wherever possible. Drink water - the western brain has become confused with hunger and thirst, and we often eat when we should actually drink. Drink a pint of water an hour before a meal, and it helps clarify that issue. Chew your food properly - don't gulp it down. Put your knife and fork down between mouthfuls if needed.

Don't be afraid to leave food on your plate until you learn smaller portion sizes.

I have never used low fat/low calorie versions of anything either - they are laden with chemicals - a little of the real thing is better IMHO.

Find exercise you love. I started out doing DVDs at home as I was so ashamed of my size and could not get gym clothes, so did it in my jammies. Then when I got to a size 18, started the gym - do a few classes, some gym work, some swimming. Fins what works. I've now just passed my exams as a gym coach...

Good luck!

Smart substitution.

Change for water.

Chips for a spud.

Donut for an apple.

Join a gym and get a PT programme suited to your needs.

Train twice a day if possible, cardio and weights as two separate workouts with at least 4 hours rest inbetween.

Learn about PROPER nutrition if you really wanna advance, it's 80% of the battle!!

By *exyLancs2Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

In contrast to what usually takes place on fab forums this is informative, pleasant and great stuff.

Like to add consistency. Everyone can be brilliant for a day.

I agree start swimming build up ur confidence and strength by swimming then move onto gym ... Most important enjoy it and hopefully u notice life becomes easier for u... I have!!!!

Watford

Thank you to everyone who is commenting and helping out, im sure im not the only one reading this and taking things into consideration, hopefully this next term i go back to university, i can improve myself, increase my confidence and maintain it, thank you all so much for the support!

-

Dan

For myself i cut out pasta, rice, bread and potato's to start, have a little pasta and bread now but steer clear of potatoes!

I tend to have meat and green veggies or fish, salad too, i changed from a dinner plate to a pasta bowl then to a side plate to lower portion sizes!

Snacks were celery and carrot sticks and i always had cottage cheese after exercise and lots and lots of water!

To start i just went out walking and built it up daily its amazing how quickly your life can change and feel so much better

Sex is good exercise

By *histler21Man  over a year ago

Ipswich

I lost weight simply by cutting out the late night snack and doing a workout in the gym.

Walking and swimming are good as well as cycling for burning fat. As for food I eat a lot of steamed cod and broccolli, also garden peas have a lot of iron. Turkey is a good source of protein but less fatty than chicken. I found as well as drinking a lot of water drinking 1 or 2 cups of green tea a day is good for helping your metabolism burn fat as well. Raspberries and blueberries as snacks are good to and help cleanse your system too. Half the problem is getting your brain used to accepting these foods but once you cut out the crap you can make them seem like a treat lol

Clear goals, with mall targets and lots of perseverance..

Calorie deficit diet so a heart rate monitor with calorie counter, HIIT training is very effective. Once the endorphins kick in from the exercise you'll be hooked so hang in there. Try to focus on good technique (form) to maximise the benefit and avoid injury. Classes will help as easier to motivate working with others.

Best of luck.

Watford

"Sex is good exercise "

haha i bet, if only i was getting any haha

Expend more calories than you take in!! Simples.

Do this by eating healthily and doing more exercise.

Easier said than done. So do it with someone, start a new sport where you have to turn up each week. Have a goal.

It's easyish to lose weight initially, it's the keeping it going, staying motivated.

Good luck.

Personally I love Slimming World, as I'm allergic to artificial sweetners for me it boiled down to as much pasta, rice, potatoes, lean protein and fresh fruit and veg as I wanted, 30g cheese a day , 2 alpen light bars and up to 300cals of whatever junk I wanted.

The SW philosophies that I loved were the 3rd of your plate being fruit/veg and also that if you have a day when you don't stick to plan to just draw a line under it and go back to normal the next day. Skinny people don't deny themselves the day after a 'binge' such as a party etc.

By *at69driveMan  over a year ago

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"Hey there, im not sure if this is the correct place to post this but i wanted to ask anyways.

As i go back to university in the new year, I plan to change my diet and Start going to the gym, i'm just fed up with my looks and want to be healthier, does anyone have any tips/guides or regimes they use to help them stay healthy?.

Thanks

Dan"

. Have a good breakfast and you will be less likely to eat snacks during the day. As per previous posters advice cook food from fresh produce. Walk where possible to avoid use of car.

"Having lost 17 stone over 5 years, eat less, move more - there is no point doing 4 classes a week and then sitting on your bum in between eating badly.

Eat clean, avoid processed wherever possible. Drink water - the western brain has become confused with hunger and thirst, and we often eat when we should actually drink. Drink a pint of water an hour before a meal, and it helps clarify that issue. Chew your food properly - don't gulp it down. Put your knife and fork down between mouthfuls if needed.

Don't be afraid to leave food on your plate until you learn smaller portion sizes.

I have never used low fat/low calorie versions of anything either - they are laden with chemicals - a little of the real thing is better IMHO.

Find exercise you love. I started out doing DVDs at home as I was so ashamed of my size and could not get gym clothes, so did it in my jammies. Then when I got to a size 18, started the gym - do a few classes, some gym work, some swimming. Fins what works. I've now just passed my exams as a gym coach...

Good luck!"

Wow well done xx

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

And he most important thing, especially for a uni student.... cut down or preferably out completely, the alcohol. Not only is it empty calories, it also slows down your metabolism for 2-3 days after, making exercise pointless.

Watford

"And he most important thing, especially for a uni student.... cut down or preferably out completely, the alcohol. Not only is it empty calories, it also slows down your metabolism for 2-3 days after, making exercise pointless. "

haha yeah, im not really that much of a drinker, dont really go out clubbing so that wont be hard

"It's a simple method but difficult to implement if you're not fully committed.

Don't eat processed foods, stay away from pre-packed, pre-cooked stuff.

Make your meals from scratch, fresh veg', meat and fish etc.

Smaller portions, more often and spread through the day. Lots of water all through the day.

And as far as exercise goes..........frequent and vigorous is the order of the day."

National slimming and cosmetic clinics. Get phentermine

By *ngel_38Woman  over a year ago

Staffs

"Hey there, im not sure if this is the correct place to post this but i wanted to ask anyways.

Thanks

Dan"

Stop eating!

By *ondimentsCouple  over a year ago

Southampton

It's not for everyone, but I've found intermittent fasting works well for me, google leangains. Took a bit of getting used to though.

By *igeiaWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

I use an app to track everything I eat and drink. Literally everything. It soon makes you think about where the empty calories might be creeping in and how you can make simple changes to deal with them. As for exercise, it's not something I have ever enjoyed apart from swimming so I started walking more. Time to listen to music and I now walk at least 4 miles every day to get to work and back rather than bus it. It actually wakes me up on the way in and chills me out on the way back. Plus I've dropped nearly 5 stone in just over a year.

By *eneral HysteriaMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

Stay away from sugar.

It's a drug you can wean yourself off. It only takes a few days.

Try it. It really works.

Fat doesn't make you fat. Sugar does.

"Thank you to everyone who is commenting and helping out, im sure im not the only one reading this and taking things into consideration, hopefully this next term i go back to university, i can improve myself, increase my confidence and maintain it, thank you all so much for the support!"
Sex in Student Halls is now on my new To Do List - how kinky!

I wish you a lot of fun in 2015!

Move more and eat less.

Repeat.

(I found turning vegetarian seriously helped the battle with putting weight on. I cut out almost all processed food because I have a protein allergy and instead cooked simple, fresh food with lots of vegetables.)

Watford

Thank you so much everyone!, this is all being taken into account!, i've started cutting down on my intake and ive also started taking walks in the evening when i cant sleep, a merry Christmas to you all and a fab 2015

Mrs South has lost almost 3 stones since September by going to our local "Slimmers World." I have been amazed at some of the things she is allowed to eat. It's not all lettuce and portions that wouldn't fill up a 3 year old.

I dropped from 17 to 10.5 stone after having my kids by cutting out sugar to stop cravings and eating high fibre, low fat stuff. Low fat and/or lean protein helps to keep you saited, so I'd have some at every meal, especially breakfast.

Always do 10,000 steps walking a day too, easy when running round at work and commuting. Even if you can do 6000 it helps a lot.

If you've got a smart phone consider getting some apps.

There are ones that can track your running and there is even one that pays you to go to the gym and fines you if you don't. As a tight arse northerner that motivates me everytime.

Having done university cutting alcohol is probably unlikely but you can quit sugary soft drinks in the day and get into a sports club. There are usually hundreds to choose from and it is a great way to meet people who are probably trying to do the same thing, especially this time of year.

Good luck, enjoy and remember to leave the ego at the door.

There is always someone who can lift more or less than you and 99/100 no one cares what you are doing so don't worry about what they think.

Simply you can't out train a crap diet , start slowly as others have said , cut out processed food take always etc . But do it realistically if you've constantly eaten poorly and cut it all out straight away you will fail . Eat healthy breakfast don't skip , eat greek yoghurt it's 0% fat and full of protein . Get good carbs from sweet potato and broccoli, when you train do 3 sessions a week to start with and end your sessions with hiit high intensity interval training . Use the treadmill or rower or excersise back , ultimately be realistic and set yourself little goals

There are also some good apps...7 minute exercise, couch to 5k, motivational diet apps. All depends on what works for you and fitting it into your lifestyle

Good luck x

Food = Calories in

Exercise = Calories out

Keep a good balance of nutrients in the first part. Make sure the second part is more than the first part. Simple!

"For myself i cut out pasta, rice, bread and potato's to start, have a little pasta and bread now but steer clear of potatoes!

I tend to have meat and green veggies or fish, salad too, i changed from a dinner plate to a pasta bowl then to a side plate to lower portion sizes!

Snacks were celery and carrot sticks and i always had cottage cheese after exercise and lots and lots of water!

To start i just went out walking and built it up daily its amazing how quickly your life can change and feel so much better "

You can eat sweet potato though as supposed to be better for you than normal ones

"Move more and eat less.

Repeat.

(I found turning vegetarian seriously helped the battle with putting weight on. I cut out almost all processed food because I have a protein allergy and instead cooked simple, fresh food with lots of vegetables.)"

How do you get protein though?

Vaginal fluid is mega high in protein

» Add a new message to this topic