FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Amy

Amy

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Watched the film last night. Poor girl. Her self destructive tendencies and what seemed to be a crippling lack of real support. So very sad and such a wasted life and talent.

What an amazing voice she had. I miss her.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman  over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

"Watched the film last night. Poor girl. Her self destructive tendencies and what seemed to be a crippling lack of real support. So very sad and such a wasted life and talent.

What an amazing voice she had. I miss her."

An extraordinary artist and her lyrics are sublime in their context.. I never realised what a loss she was.

By *vbride1963TV/TS  over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

Some people can make a difference to so many others even though they only crossed into their lives for a short time . Music and lyrics from Amy will live on to touch others .

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A great movie, so many artistic people especially in music are too open to the pain of this world... that shines through in their music often... yet it also that empathy and compassion which makes the music so amazing and touches us so deeply.

A favourite song of mine is Vincent by Don McLean... a line in that springs to mine..

This World was never meant for one as beautiful as you.

By *ndykayMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

I haven't seen the film but she was an amazing talent. But she had her demons and not enough good people to help her.

But she will live on through her music.

Her duet with Tony Bennett is something else and always makes me smile when I listen to it

"I haven't seen the film but she was an amazing talent. But she had her demons and not enough good people to help her.

But she will live on through her music.

Her duet with Tony Bennett is something else and always makes me smile when I listen to it "

You can see how much that meant to her too

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

It was a great film, so sad she seemed on auto-destruct and made some bad choices - her dad came across as an exploitative bastard as well.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"

A favourite song of mine is Vincent by Don McLean... a line in that springs to mine..

This World was never meant for one as beautiful as you."

By *ortland51Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Without wishing to be disrespectful, and I'm certainly not trying to antagonise anyone, but it annoys me when someone like Amy Winehouse, Whitney Houston, Philip Seymour Hoffman, et al, have excuses made for them in their passing that aren't generally ordinarily afforded to the average Joe.

It annoys me that even with all the professional, financial and social advantages that these people had, they still couldn't make the changes that so many people in similar circumstances beg for.

Some do, of course, and that is to be commended. But when you hear many of the attitudes toward the drug users that we will all walk past or encounter in the streets every day, they generally aren't spoken about with the same compassion and kindness that celebrities are, just because they can't act, sing or excel at a sport.

I try to see no difference between a drug user on a red carpet or a cardboard box. They both fight the same battle for me.

I've never once heard anyone call Amy Winehouse a junkie, nor do I want to though. It's a horribly derogatory term. But it seems to be acceptable to bandy it about casually and carelessly every day about people in similarly challenging circumstances who aren't _iewed in the same light.

Sorry to hijack your post Jinty, it wasn't done so with any offence intended at all.

For the record, although not a fan of her music, I can appreciate Amy Winehouse's undeniable talent and I intend to watch this film at some point.

Ive never really been a fan of her Music..However she was rather unique..She had an amazing voice.

Back To Black ...Was her best release in my opinion

By *ob nice but domMan  over a year ago

PAISLEY

"Without wishing to be disrespectful, and I'm certainly not trying to antagonise anyone, but it annoys me when someone like Amy Winehouse, Whitney Houston, Philip Seymour Hoffman, et al, have excuses made for them in their passing that aren't generally ordinarily afforded to the average Joe.

It annoys me that even with all the professional, financial and social advantages that these people had, they still couldn't make the changes that so many people in similar circumstances beg for.

Some do, of course, and that is to be commended. But when you hear many of the attitudes toward the drug users that we will all walk past or encounter in the streets every day, they generally aren't spoken about with the same compassion and kindness that celebrities are, just because they can't act, sing or excel at a sport.

I try to see no difference between a drug user on a red carpet or a cardboard box. They both fight the same battle for me.

I've never once heard anyone call Amy Winehouse a junkie, nor do I want to though. It's a horribly derogatory term. But it seems to be acceptable to bandy it about casually and carelessly every day about people in similarly challenging circumstances who aren't _iewed in the same light.

Sorry to hijack your post Jinty, it wasn't done so with any offence intended at all.

For the record, although not a fan of her music, I can appreciate Amy Winehouse's undeniable talent and I intend to watch this film at some point.

"

Very well said. I will say it for you. She was a junkie. Very sad but she chose her path.

Did she do anything else apart from a few good albums? X

By *rsFine-MrBallsCouple  over a year ago

markinch

"Without wishing to be disrespectful, and I'm certainly not trying to antagonise anyone, but it annoys me when someone like Amy Winehouse, Whitney Houston, Philip Seymour Hoffman, et al, have excuses made for them in their passing that aren't generally ordinarily afforded to the average Joe.

"

Well said. 100 per agree.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"

No offence taken at all, Portland. A lot of your thoughts are in my head too. True, we are all in ultimate charge of our own destinies. We make choices and have to live with them...or not as the case often dictates. I have known a couple of people in my life who without Amy's financial position and talent have succumbed to the same fate. I have the same compassion for them as her and indeed anyone who finds themselves on a path of self destruction. I believe that at the root of her problems was a deep depressive illness. There, I can identify with her. There but for the grace of God.....

The fact that someone seems to waste social advantage, talent, fame, fortune or love does not take away from suffering, angst or personal demons. Alas the human condition is just not that simple although I agree it's a source of amazement and sadness to see anyone talented or otherwise self destruct. As Jinty rightly said there but for the grace of god...

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman  over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

No offence taken at all, Portland. A lot of your thoughts are in my head too. True, we are all in ultimate charge of our own destinies. We make choices and have to live with them...or not as the case often dictates. I have known a couple of people in my life who without Amy's financial position and talent have succumbed to the same fate. I have the same compassion for them as her and indeed anyone who finds themselves on a path of self destruction. I believe that at the root of her problems was a deep depressive illness. There, I can identify with her. There but for the grace of God....."

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

My dad was a tremendous father up to the age of 7 for me and 8 for my sister. She had a heart operation that in the 60's was huge for a young child. He become addicted to alcohol, possibly due to that pressure. It was a horrid couple of years before my mum up and offed with us both. He totally destroyed a life and relationships, especially with my sister who he besotted with.

The love of alcohol was greater than the love for us, I know he lived a life of regret until the day he died.

I don't judge people with addiction, I just thank god I am stronger than them.

It's easy to condemn and understandable, but it changes nothing. She died, may she sleep a more peaceful rest than the life she lived.

"My dad was a tremendous father up to the age of 7 for me and 8 for my sister. She had a heart operation that in the 60's was huge for a young child. He become addicted to alcohol, possibly due to that pressure. It was a horrid couple of years before my mum up and offed with us both. He totally destroyed a life and relationships, especially with my sister who he besotted with.

The love of alcohol was greater than the love for us, I know he lived a life of regret until the day he died.

It's easy to condemn and understandable, but it changes nothing. She died, may she sleep a more peaceful rest than the life she lived.

"

"My dad was a tremendous father up to the age of 7 for me and 8 for my sister. She had a heart operation that in the 60's was huge for a young child. He become addicted to alcohol, possibly due to that pressure. It was a horrid couple of years before my mum up and offed with us both. He totally destroyed a life and relationships, especially with my sister who he besotted with.

It's to your credit you ARE a stronger person and that you also have compassion for his circumstances even if you might not agree with his decisions.

Red xXx

"

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

Addiction is more than just personal choice I think - of course someone chooses to start on that path and this can be for a whole load of reasons, peer pressure, unhappiness etc. - the trouble is if someone has an addictive brain setup they will become addicted once they have started and then it is really hard for them to stop. Similarly some people's brain chemistry is setup so they will not become addicted. It is really easy to say it is all down to will power but there are also underlying neurological reasons why some people are more susceptible and this makes them particularly vulnerable.

By *rsFine-MrBallsCouple  over a year ago

markinch

"Addiction is more than just personal choice I think - of course someone chooses to start on that path and this can be for a whole load of reasons, peer pressure, unhappiness etc. - the trouble is if someone has an addictive brain setup they will become addicted once they have started and then it is really hard for them to stop. Similarly some people's brain chemistry is setup so they will not become addicted. It is really easy to say it is all down to will power but there are also underlying neurological reasons why some people are more susceptible and this makes them particularly vulnerable."

Ash that's why there's train spotters, always wondered why

» Add a new message to this topic