FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Tenements....

Tenements....

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I must admit....i miss the sense of community you had growing up 'up a close'. Your door was always left open. Where there once was between 6 to 8 families (depending how high they were obviously) there are now two families in semi detached housing association houses...aye ok i dont miss the rising damp and putty roon the windaes but come on...snoggin up a close (nae slippin the hon noo) canny whack it!

Im from what used to be one of the biggest (poorest) housing schemes in Europe and the population has been totally depleted but look on the bright side, we are on the map now...we have a Macdonals!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *lassic1Man  over a year ago

bellshill

Awe go-oan yersel I quite agree the tenements were brill and if every one took their turn the closes were shining I always recall the snog on the toap landing and faither coming oot when we were at the feel bit ....all part of the thrill.

The other side was when a wee boy would come to your door ..."ony empty ginger boattles"...he was sent by the big guys doon stairs to find oot which flats were empty prior to a break in......The smell of Jeyes fluid disinfectant at the cloase wash up would clear yer heid for weeks. I was in Paisley.."but" ...

By *andG4moreCouple  over a year ago

Dunbartonshire

"I must admit....i miss the sense of community you had growing up 'up a close'. Your door was always left open. Where there once was between 6 to 8 families (depending how high they were obviously) there are now two families in semi detached housing association houses...aye ok i dont miss the rising damp and putty roon the windaes but come on...snoggin up a close (nae slippin the hon noo) canny whack it!

Im from what used to be one of the biggest (poorest) housing schemes in Europe and the population has been totally depleted but look on the bright side, we are on the map now...we have a Macdonals!"

I'd snog u up a close any day BOW but I couldn't promise not to try and cop a feel

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Awe go-oan yersel I quite agree the tenements were brill and if every one took their turn the closes were shining I always recall the snog on the toap landing and faither coming oot when we were at the feel bit ....all part of the thrill.

The other side was when a wee boy would come to your door ..."ony empty ginger boattles"...he was sent by the big guys doon stairs to find oot which flats were empty prior to a break in......The smell of Jeyes fluid disinfectant at the cloase wash up would clear yer heid for weeks. I was in Paisley.."but" ... "

oh...that glesga banter

By *eenonfun2Couple  over a year ago

Glasgow

Yep, used to enjoy tying the two doors facing each other across the landing together and watch them pull (trying) their doors open only worked if you did it from 2nd floor up otherwise the guy could dreppie oot the windae and batter you

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I still live in a tenement and it's brilliant.

8 flats up the close and all been here for at least 25 years. We're not in and out of each others houses all the time but we keep and eye out for folks we don't see for a day or so.

It wasn't always comfortable. Doors and windows which didn't fit, gaps in the floorboards, no central heating and hot water only from a back boiler don't make life easy but a few quid spent on triple glazing, proper heating and so on made tenements probably the best places to live in the city centre - not to mention an excellent investment.

remember taking your towels and underwear into bed to heat it up because there was no central heating...!

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

my favourite ever place that I have stayed was Falkland Street Hyndland, the close, the flat, looking into other flats and thinking 'that doesn't fucking go with that soft furnishing'

loved it

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

and Peckhams

"remember taking your towels and underwear into bed to heat it up because there was no central heating...!"

Or a gingy bottle wae roastin water in it...

"I must admit....i miss the sense of community you had growing up 'up a close'. Your door was always left open. Where there once was between 6 to 8 families (depending how high they were obviously) there are now two families in semi detached housing association houses...aye ok i dont miss the rising damp and putty roon the windaes but come on...snoggin up a close (nae slippin the hon noo) canny whack it!

Im from what used to be one of the biggest (poorest) housing schemes in Europe and the population has been totally depleted but look on the bright side, we are on the map now...we have a Macdonals!

I'd snog u up a close any day BOW but I couldn't promise not to try and cop a feel "

Nice...no had a knee trembler up a close fur yeeeeears

I just counted and we had 8 flats in our tenement and 24 kids lived up the close. Of course in Toryglen, we didn't have balconies, we had a veranda!!!

Just finished replacing the balconies...sorry veranda's down Toryglen...well a few months ago anyway...weird kinda viking street names doon there lol...i know over in Cranhill that most or all of the streets are named after lighthouses...

First tenement flat I remember living in as a kid had only two rooms and a cludgie on the landing. Mum bathed my sister and I in a sink at the 'steamy' when she did her washing.

"First tenement flat I remember living in as a kid had only two rooms and a cludgie on the landing. Mum bathed my sister and I in a sink at the 'steamy' when she did her washing. "

Landing? you were posh, we had a 'plettie'

altogether now... oh you cannae fling pieces...

bellshill

"I just counted and we had 8 flats in our tenement and 24 kids lived up the close. Of course in Toryglen, we didn't have balconies, we had a veranda!!! "

Veranda ma erse...some turned it intae a pigeon loft.

bellshill

Also the dead secure way that EVERYBODY dangled the key oan a string behind the letterbox...we all thought that nobody would ever find it there.

och best years of ma life were runnin aboot the streets playin 2 man hunt while yer maw an da sat oot in the veranda wi there wee carry oot..an ya didny come in till dark no matter whit time it was lol ...an the new year partys were brill ya just went fae close to close lol

Playing 'light a shite' with neighbour that you didnae really like!

Get some newspaper (red rags are shite anyway) and find some dogdy doo...usually at night you can spot the fresh ones wae the steam comin off them eh...so aye encase the doggy doo inside the shitey paper and scrunch up the top so its like a cone...over to neighbours door...light the scrunched piece of paper and chap the unsuspecting soon to be shitty footed neighbours door and keek roon the corner and watch the ensuing stramash! Eeeewww shitey fit!

Still stay up a close. Is 11 families in mine. Bit of a nightmare, as its not a 'good' close.

But back in the day, chap door runaway, and jumping off the bin sheds playing 'high up tig', and 'change poles' in the back, were all good entertainment.

I remember coming in from Prestwick airport as a child (I'm originally from Canada) and saying to my gran..."people don't live in those!" my grampa turned to her and said we better put a bag over her head when we take her up the close....lol

"Playing 'light a shite' with neighbour that you didnae really like!

Get some newspaper (red rags are shite anyway) and find some dogdy doo...usually at night you can spot the fresh ones wae the steam comin off them eh...so aye encase the doggy doo inside the shitey paper and scrunch up the top so its like a cone...over to neighbours door...light the scrunched piece of paper and chap the unsuspecting soon to be shitty footed neighbours door and keek roon the corner and watch the ensuing stramash! Eeeewww shitey fit! "

think u should just admit u squatted a few times in the absence of dugshit!

Yes Pads but thats commonly known as a shite protest...shlightly different amigo!

"Yes Pads but thats commonly known as a shite protest...shlightly different amigo! "

ahh ur from shighthill?

Sheizerhoos....close but no pink cigar muchacho!

I was born and bread in the Gorbals!!Amazing buildings to live in...and play in!!I remember hanging out the window watching Thompsons"Greek" church burning down!!Amazing site when you're about 4!!!!Then a couple of weeks later plating in the place.

Anybody remember the adventure playground in the Gorbals?

By *horstrollMan  over a year ago

Caprona

"Yes Pads but thats commonly known as a shite protest...shlightly different amigo!

ahh ur from shighthill?"

I went to sighthill nursery, seeing these towers demolished was sad. The new Gorbals seems a windae cleaners worst nightmare though. The joys of washing 3 up

"Yes Pads but thats commonly known as a shite protest...shlightly different amigo!

ahh ur from shighthill?

I went to sighthill nursery, seeing these towers demolished was sad. The new Gorbals seems a windae cleaners worst nightmare though. The joys of washing 3 up "

murder murder poalis 3 stairs up,

a wummin in the middle fllat hut me wi a cup,

ma heeds aw bleedin ma jaws aw cut,

murder murder poalis 3 stairs up

Wasnae brought up in a tinny but first flat was two up 8 in a block and I had a veranda great thing huge flat two bedroom all to masel tremendous even had a Barbie out on the veranda one night fuuuuuuk the veranda was finished wi tar and the smell was hoachin not to mention the BBQ stuk to the ground and I was left wi a hole lol pigeons were a nuisance till my cat decided the veranda was her fave place to sit one time she sat inside the window and a doo fae next close landed on the sill she Musta put her paw out and dragged the poor thing into the house roll on hysteria when I got home and this thing is flapping about screeching in ma living room shitting everywhere !!!! Unfortunately as they started demolishing the tinnys all the jakes and junks started hangin about oor close cause me n the next yin kept it clean and they preferred to sit in a clean close aye then leave ur shit grrrrr one young lass was even caught takin a shit in the close dirty wee cow !!! Now in a 3 bed semi in a cul de sac all the same people yet no one really talks anymore whereas before even if you didn't like someone everyone still joined in the party

» Add a new message to this topic