FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Beware of foreign, far-right manipulation

Beware of foreign, far-right manipulation

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ara J OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

More evidence today of how foreign, far-right activists are trying to push Brexit thinking to the brink in the UK.

Security firm F.Secure examined 24 million tweets about Brexit from 1.65m accounts between December and February this year.

They found disturbing evidence of a concerted effort by foreign accounts to push for a hard Brexit.

They also found a strong association with #MAGA and #giletsjaunes.

“A global effort among the far right to amplify the leave side of the debate”

Their report chimes with some of the more extreme positions posited on here.

The ongoing attempt by foreign actors to infiltrate UK opinion and influence extremism.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

It is amazingly scary how easy it is for misinformation and outright lies to spread (the Lisbon Treaty on is a classic example).

I don't take anything at face value on social media (or the MSM for that matter).

The fact that a lot of these things originate from outside the UK is even more concerning.

If a friend posts something that is blatantly false, I tend to point it out.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

That's ok only bellends use Twitter

By *ish you were here!Couple  over a year ago

Birmingham

"That's ok only bellends use Twitter "

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"More evidence today of how foreign, far-right activists are trying to push Brexit thinking to the brink in the UK.

Security firm F.Secure examined 24 million tweets about Brexit from 1.65m accounts between December and February this year.

They found disturbing evidence of a concerted effort by foreign accounts to push for a hard Brexit.

The ongoing attempt by foreign actors to infiltrate UK opinion and influence extremism."

The far left in the Labour party is the real danger.Yourimagination is crazy but funny

Bristol East

Not my imagination.

A report issued today.

Latest in a long list of evidence how malign influences in the US and Russia seek to exploit Brexit and Islamophobia to destabilise Europe.

The evidence is there to see, unless your mind is closed to the idea it might be being manipulated.

"More evidence today of how foreign, far-right activists are trying to push Brexit thinking to the brink in the UK.

The ongoing attempt by foreign actors to infiltrate UK opinion and influence extremism."

The "comic cuts" weekly is alive, well & prospering in Bristol it seems......!

"That's ok only bellends use Twitter "

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"It is amazingly scary how easy it is for misinformation and outright lies to spread (the Lisbon Treaty on is a classic example).

I don't take anything at face value on social media (or the MSM for that matter).

The fact that a lot of these things originate from outside the UK is even more concerning.

If a friend posts something that is blatantly false, I tend to point it out."

You should be wary of the MSM especially in light of the recent Panodrama documentary which exposed the BBC's willingness to falsify information in order to fit a particular narrative.

I find it incredible that some here think this is fantasy. It is most definitely reality. I’ve seen them with my own eyes. UK social media is crawling with foreign trolls posing as Brits.

"It is amazingly scary how easy it is for misinformation and outright lies to spread (the Lisbon Treaty on is a classic example).

You should be wary of the MSM especially in light of the recent Panodrama documentary which exposed the BBC's willingness to falsify information in order to fit a particular narrative. "

In light of a Tommy Robinson ‘exposé’ lol?

It’s been understood for a very long time that the BBC and MSM are not to be trusted in their portrayal of the ‘news’. There’s books written about it, probably the most well known being ‘Manufacturing Consent’ - which should be read by all who live in a democracy.

Cannock

You should be wary of the MSM especially in light of the recent Panodrama documentary which exposed the BBC's willingness to falsify information in order to fit a particular narrative.

In light of a Tommy Robinson ‘exposé’ lol?

It’s been understood for a very long time that the BBC and MSM are not to be trusted in their portrayal of the ‘news’. There’s books written about it, probably the most well known being ‘Manufacturing Consent’ - which should be read by all who live in a democracy.

"

Who did the 'expose' is irrelevant really. What is relevant is the BBC's John Sweeney was caught red handed on hidden camera footage.

Bristol East

Yep, Trump’s useful idiot - present the professional media as false and the internet activists as true.

By *ellowyellowXMan  over a year ago

cardiff

So many cry babies everywhere these days. If you get your opinion from social media then you deserve to be duped. That goes for everyone involved.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's scary how little real control the public have - as well as governments - from opinion manipulation, especially towards extreme viewpoints. I've had notices from other sites, due to account manipulation from overseas, such as those connected with ukip, cambridge analytica etc.

The highest spending UK organisation for political advertisement on facebook, is not one of our main parties, it's Britain’s Future that has spent £340,000 this year: and none of us know who it is, or is funding it. It's been campaigning for a hard no deal brexit. All that's known of it is one person and address, that's lodged with fb. They target people in a sophisticated manner, using computing intelligence. These are likely just the tip of the iceberg.

By *uxinteriorMan  over a year ago

south west , continental

Who would believe anything that is said or printed these days. Whether it is biased or agenda based or not. Most of a so called headline or story is heavily beefed up by the journalists opinion and political affiliation. No matter which is your political persuasion, on what you hear, read or speak, one is always going to put your own spin on it as well.

I believe nothing till I see it and I try very hard not to get sucked into the non reality of a political dog and pony show.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"So many cry babies everywhere these days. If you get your opinion from social media then you deserve to be duped. That goes for everyone involved."

You'll not know where your opinion originates from though, as you're exposed to many messages in your lifetime and we all think that we have free agency, whereas decisions will typically be taken at a level that's not conscious, where we're open to bias and influence. Every single one of us has our viewpoints influenced by the world outside of us - and political advertising ought to be more constrained.

upton wirral

"Not my imagination.

A report issued today.

Latest in a long list of evidence how malign influences in the US and Russia seek to exploit Brexit and Islamophobia to destabilise Europe.

The evidence is there to see, unless your mind is closed to the idea it might be being manipulated."

Whatever you want to believe you can find stuff to back it up,all this conspiracy stuff is very Amarican very Trump

upton wirral

"So many cry babies everywhere these days. If you get your opinion from social media then you deserve to be duped. That goes for everyone involved.

You'll not know where your opinion originates from though, as you're exposed to many messages in your lifetime and we all think that we have free agency, whereas decisions will typically be taken at a level that's not conscious, where we're open to bias and influence. Every single one of us has our viewpoints influenced by the world outside of us - and political advertising ought to be more constrained."

"So many cry babies everywhere these days. If you get your opinion from social media then you deserve to be duped. That goes for everyone involved."

Indeed, the problem is that so many people were duped that we ended up ruining the country with Brexit.

Cannock

"So many cry babies everywhere these days. If you get your opinion from social media then you deserve to be duped. That goes for everyone involved.

Indeed, the problem is that so many people were duped that we ended up ruining the country with Brexit."

Ruining the country? LOL

Melodramatic as always Dave

The country has not been ruined by Brexit, as the Chancellor Philip Hammond said this morning in the Spring Statement the UK economy remains incredibly resilient, even with the prospect of a no deal looming on the horizon. I know that is incredibly inconvenient for you and the anti Brexit narrative you constantly try to push on here, but that is the reality.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

also dispelled the myth that all these new jobs are zero hour contracts.

Indeed, the problem is that so many people were duped that we ended up ruining the country with Brexit.

Ruining the country? LOL

Melodramatic as always Dave

The country has not been ruined by Brexit, as the Chancellor Philip Hammond said this morning in the Spring Statement the UK economy remains incredibly resilient, even with the prospect of a no deal looming on the horizon. I know that is incredibly inconvenient for you and the anti Brexit narrative you constantly try to push on here, but that is the reality. "

You’re extremely selective with you’re section of what he’s saying.

I understand that you’re reluctant to put it in any kind of context. Because any level on understanding of the big picture will tell you a true picture of what’s happening.

You guys can continue to deny the ship is sinking. It doesn’t change the rate of descent. And when we’re all underwater you can continue to deny it or move to the blaming someone else tactic which most brexiteers are currently moving to.

Who pays any attention to tweets . Sounds like the company has too much time on their hands if they are spending their time analyses tweets. The people whose opinions matter are those who are out working hard for a living , not those who spend their time on Twitter.

Bristol East

"The people whose opinions matter are those who are out working hard for a living , not those who spend their time on Twitter. "

Lol your vote has no more or less weight than anyone elses’s vote, including those who spend their time on social media

I think the bias is in people's minds not in Russian far right trolls.

Neither side can accept defeat, there looking for excuses, anything to clutch on to.

The country is divided in more ways than people think, Brexit is just the touch paper that will ignite the gunpowder.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"I think the bias is in people's minds not in Russian far right trolls.

Neither side can accept defeat, there looking for excuses, anything to clutch on to.

The country is divided in more ways than people think, Brexit is just the touch paper that will ignite the gunpowder."

Why should leave accept defeat they told the government what they wanted its the mp,s that are a bunch of wankers.I now have no idea who i could ever vote for again they both stood on a manifesto to honour the referendum and neither are doing it.

"I think the bias is in people's minds not in Russian far right trolls.

The country is divided in more ways than people think, Brexit is just the touch paper that will ignite the gunpowder.Why should leave accept defeat they told the government what they wanted its the mp,s that are a bunch of wankers.I now have no idea who i could ever vote for again they both stood on a manifesto to honour the referendum and neither are doing it."

I don't think they should accept defeat they won, however they won on a very small mandate,I think any reasonable argument would insure they got something from the defeat, however I think both sides became entrenched in the thinking that they would get screwed over and dug there heels in, leavers with the hardest Brexit possible and remainders with no Brexit at all, it wasn't Brexit that divided society, its been divided for ages, it was Brexit that allowed for the outpouring of fuck yous.

You'll not know where your opinion originates from though, as you're exposed to many messages in your lifetime and we all think that we have free agency, whereas decisions will typically be taken at a level that's not conscious, where we're open to bias and influence. Every single one of us has our viewpoints influenced by the world outside of us - and political advertising ought to be more constrained."

I’ve tried to articulate this to people but never as well as you did here.

This is why I’m always arguing for genuine regulation of the mainstream media in all its forms.

In society’s favour, the demanding of proper media regulation - being that it is non-partisan, should make it easier to campaign for without resistance.

'A report issued today'.... the most frightening words that can be used to spread non news, non issues and crank up propaganda.

Who carried out the report, how credible is it, did it need to be made, what method of report compiling was used, does anyone care, when is the next report scheduled to take place, was there any particular bias ??... etc....

go ahead and read them but don't consider them to be gospel....

"'A report issued today'.... the most frightening words that can be used to spread non news, non issues and crank up propaganda.

Who carried out the report, how credible is it, did it need to be made, what method of report compiling was used, does anyone care, when is the next report scheduled to take place, was there any particular bias ??... etc....

go ahead and read them but don't consider them to be gospel...."

They said who carried out the report in the OP.

It’s not cranking up propaganda in this case. It’s exposing it.

Do I care - YES of course I care and so should we all.

Vote Leave were convicted on breaking electoral law during the referendum campaign.

They used Cambridge Analytica, who are actually SCL, a North American company who also go under AIQ to harvest our personal data and target those flagged up as susceptible based on their previous internet usage.

Basically put, they targeted people who are racist or hold prejudices and bombarded them with propaganda to incite them further and to associate their prejudices with the EU.

AIQ outside of their interference in the UK also circulated videos in Africa of people being dismembered and burnt alive, their bodies thrown into pits, to scare anyone who dare vote against the sitting government.

» Add a new message to this topic