FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Barclays and other finance groups moving to Dublin post Brexit

Barclays and other finance groups moving to Dublin post Brexit

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *xplicitlyrics OP   Man  over a year ago

south dublin

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/barclays-settles-on-dublin-for-post-brexit-eu-hub-1.2952306

So barclays and a few other banks are looking to move operations to Dublin if there is indeed a hard brexit.

Just what people have been saying all along, that Brexit will strengthen the EU in a lot of areas. More money, more jobs and more tax revenue.

Brexit will probably be the best thing to happen to the Irish economy in years

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/barclays-settles-on-dublin-for-post-brexit-eu-hub-1.2952306

So barclays and a few other banks are looking to move operations to Dublin if there is indeed a hard brexit.

Just what people have been saying all along, that Brexit will strengthen the EU in a lot of areas. More money, more jobs and more tax revenue.

Brexit will probably be the best thing to happen to the Irish economy in years "

can't say that mate that's called fear mongering...

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/barclays-settles-on-dublin-for-post-brexit-eu-hub-1.2952306

can't say that mate that's called fear mongering..."

He is Irish, he is being positive in seeing all the benefits for Ireland.

can't say that mate that's called fear mongering...

He is Irish, he is being positive in seeing all the benefits for Ireland."

what? The bargain basement tax haven? Who is Irelands biggest export market?

Brexit will probably be the best thing to happen to the Irish economy in years "

Good riddance I say.... If I were the UK government I'd ask for our money back before they depart

By *anes HubbyCouple  over a year ago

Babbacombe Torquay

Brexit will probably be the best thing to happen to the Irish economy in years .

Good riddance I say.... If I were the UK government I'd ask for our money back before they depart"

The city of London brought in £73.2Bil in taxes in 2014/15.........good riddance?

Babbacombe Torquay

And Barclays wasn't part of the government bank bailout.....

"And Barclays wasn't part of the government bank bailout....."

Barclays are also in Cheshire. Bad for the technology companies in the north. Not many major players in the north.

south dublin

"

what? The bargain basement tax haven? Who is Irelands biggest export market?"

The UK, as it was before the EU and as it will probably be after Brexit. The only reason that will change is if even more companies set up here to sell to the EU. Then the EU will become our biggest export market.

south dublin

" can't say that mate that's called fear mongering..."

Im Irish so this is good news for us. We're actually in a really good position because the UK and Ireland will have a good trade deal because of existing business, geography and the political necessity of Northern Ireland. And we also stand to benefit hugely from British based business moving here because we're highly educated, english speaking and have great experience making things work for global businesses here.

Brexit remains a terrible idea for the UK and the EU. But financially Ireland is going to get a lot stronger over the next 5 years.

Babbacombe Torquay

I've just received the latest Sandanter list of bank owned properties on offer and am flabbergasted by how many more Irish properties have been listed compared to a year ago......Ireland truly is in a terrible state.

" can't say that mate that's called fear mongering...

Im Irish so this is good news for us. We're actually in a really good position because the UK and Ireland will have a good trade deal because of existing business, geography and the political necessity of Northern Ireland. And we also stand to benefit hugely from British based business moving here because we're highly educated, english speaking and have great experience making things work for global businesses here.

Brexit remains a terrible idea for the UK and the EU. But financially Ireland is going to get a lot stronger over the next 5 years."

and what happens if the EU penalises you as a tax haven and says no more? Or the UK lowers corporation tax?

"I've just received the latest Sandanter list of bank owned properties on offer and am flabbergasted by how many more Irish properties have been listed compared to a year ago......Ireland truly is in a terrible state."

like most of the Euro zone

Babbacombe Torquay

Brexit remains a terrible idea for the UK and the EU. But financially Ireland is going to get a lot stronger over the next 5 years.

and what happens if the EU penalises you as a tax haven and says no more? Or the UK lowers corporation tax?"

Germany is pushing for Ireland to be brought to task over their ridiculous playing around with Corporation tax rates, they are flouting the basic financial rules of the EU.....Ireland is also the centre of very dubious accounting practices for several large American companies which robs other EU member states, including Britain, of corporation tax owed on earnings by several American companies.

south dublin

and what happens if the EU penalises you as a tax haven and says no more? Or the UK lowers corporation tax?

Germany is pushing for Ireland to be brought to task over their ridiculous playing around with Corporation tax rates, they are flouting the basic financial rules of the EU.....Ireland is also the centre of very dubious accounting practices for several large American companies which robs other EU member states, including Britain, of corporation tax owed on earnings by several American companies.

"

Theyve been pushing for that for 2 decades and it hasnt mattered. They can keep pushing if they want.

The Apple tax deal is another that worked out well for us. Apple came here because we gave them a good deal so we got the benefit of that. Now the EU says they should pay us 13 billion euro. So we got the company and we might get the taxes as well. We couldnt have planned for it to work out this well

Babbacombe Torquay

I place Ireland in the same category as Greece when it comes to the EU, they are amongst the biggest financial recipients in the Union, and used their appalling poverty rates upon joining as a way of being at the front of the queue when it came to handouts.....

I voted to remain and still hold that view, but I can see why many Brexiteers looked at countries like Ireland and announced how fed up they were with some EU members acting like sponges for years.

south dublin

"I've just received the latest Sandanter list of bank owned properties on offer and am flabbergasted by how many more Irish properties have been listed compared to a year ago......Ireland truly is in a terrible state."

As I live here and you dont Id like to think Ive a better idea of the current state of affairs here and its pretty good tbh. Some things could definitely be better but our economy is rebounding well and brexit will push it even higher.

south dublin

"I place Ireland in the same category as Greece when it comes to the EU, they are amongst the biggest financial recipients in the Union, and used their appalling poverty rates upon joining as a way of being at the front of the queue when it came to handouts.....

I voted to remain and still hold that view, but I can see why many Brexiteers looked at countries like Ireland and announced how fed up they were with some EU members acting like sponges for years."

You've literally no idea what youre talking about. Ireland has been paying more into the EU than it received for years before the recession. The "bailout" was necessary to stop the effects of the recession spreading to the EU and it was a LOAN which we are ahead of schedule in repaying.

Babbacombe Torquay

"I've just received the latest Sandanter list of bank owned properties on offer and am flabbergasted by how many more Irish properties have been listed compared to a year ago......Ireland truly is in a terrible state.

As I live here and you dont Id like to think Ive a better idea of the current state of affairs here and its pretty good tbh. Some things could definitely be better but our economy is rebounding well and brexit will push it even higher."

As I've said, your economy is based on low Corporation taxes....which will end in 2018 when uniform EU Corporation tax rates come into force....then Ireland will have their begging bowl out in Brussels once more.

south dublin

"

As I've said, your economy is based on low Corporation taxes....which will end in 2018 when uniform EU Corporation tax rates come into force....then Ireland will have their begging bowl out in Brussels once more."

That isnt a thing thats happening. Youre confused.

Ireland retains veto over changes to its tax rates. In 2018 some common rules will be implemented to stop tax avoidance but they have no effect on the tax rates at all.

"And Barclays wasn't part of the government bank bailout....."

Where do you think the half a trillion in QE has gone?.

"I place Ireland in the same category as Greece when it comes to the EU, they are amongst the biggest financial recipients in the Union, and used their appalling poverty rates upon joining as a way of being at the front of the queue when it came to handouts.....

I voted to remain and still hold that view, but I can see why many Brexiteers looked at countries like Ireland and announced how fed up they were with some EU members acting like sponges for years.

You've literally no idea what youre talking about. Ireland has been paying more into the EU than it received for years before the recession. The "bailout" was necessary to stop the effects of the recession spreading to the EU and it was a LOAN which we are ahead of schedule in repaying."

Your 220 billon in debt not including off the book liabilities, you've got a population of 4.5 million!. You've got zero resources and you struggle to get any immigration and for the last 20 years you've basically been a tax haven which the EU is determined to put a stop to....I wouldn't start throwing stones if I were you

Theyve been pushing for that for 2 decades and it hasnt mattered. They can keep pushing if they want.

The Apple tax deal is another that worked out well for us. Apple came here because we gave them a good deal so we got the benefit of that. Now the EU says they should pay us 13 billion euro. So we got the company and we might get the taxes as well. We couldnt have planned for it to work out this well "

Depends who you call us, the government are still massacring my dreams and I'd like my share of that cash to balance the crazy use I've paid

49.5% marginal tax rate for zero benefit (health care etc)

You've literally no idea what youre talking about. Ireland has been paying more into the EU than it received for years before the recession. The "bailout" was necessary to stop the effects of the recession spreading to the EU and it was a LOAN which we are ahead of schedule in repaying..

Your 220 billon in debt not including off the book liabilities, you've got a population of 4.5 million!. You've got zero resources and you struggle to get any immigration and for the last 20 years you've basically been a tax haven which the EU is determined to put a stop to....I wouldn't start throwing stones if I were you "

Have you seen the UK debt... 2nd in the world to only the states and a very large number if the sources I was looking at recently are correct

south dublin

"And Barclays wasn't part of the government bank bailout......

Where do you think the half a trillion in QE has gone?."

QE is used to purchase assets from banks and other financial organisations. They could try and sell those assets back to the financial institutions but theyre under no obligation to buy them. This falls under the case law commonly known as "No backsies".

"I've just received the latest Sandanter list of bank owned properties on offer and am flabbergasted by how many more Irish properties have been listed compared to a year ago......Ireland truly is in a terrible state.

As I live here and you dont Id like to think Ive a better idea of the current state of affairs here and its pretty good tbh. Some things could definitely be better but our economy is rebounding well and brexit will push it even higher."

I have to agree, the economy is back in boom mode but us small minded paddies will leverage the lot and fuck up it up again no doubt.

That said I'm not likely the frankly bitter sentiments in this thread. Typical post truth shite

"

Have you seen the UK debt... 2nd in the world to only the states and a very large number if the sources I was looking at recently are correct "

I never said anything about the UK?

"And Barclays wasn't part of the government bank bailout......

Where do you think the half a trillion in QE has gone?.

QE is used to purchase assets from banks and other financial organisations. They could try and sell those assets back to the financial institutions but theyre under no obligation to buy them. This falls under the case law commonly known as "No backsies"."

Ha yeah, no shit....

south dublin

"

Your 220 billon in debt not including off the book liabilities, you've got a population of 4.5 million!. You've got zero resources and you struggle to get any immigration and for the last 20 years you've basically been a tax haven which the EU is determined to put a stop to....I wouldn't start throwing stones if I were you "

We were 220 billion in debt 2 years ago. We're just under 200b now. So at this rate we could pay it off in less than ten years. Which is the average term of government bonds (10 years).

We have a fair amount of immigration for a country our size,its not particularly an issue for us as it is for a couple other countries. We actually have billions in gas reserves that havent been tapped and a good economy that will get stronger if we can absorb even a fraction of the London financial centre.

The EU can keep whining about the tax rate here but we have a veto and we wont give that up so they cant do anything about it.

south dublin

As I live here and you dont Id like to think Ive a better idea of the current state of affairs here and its pretty good tbh. Some things could definitely be better but our economy is rebounding well and brexit will push it even higher.

I have to agree, the economy is back in boom mode but us small minded paddies will leverage the lot and fuck up it up again no doubt.

That said I'm not likely the frankly bitter sentiments in this thread. Typical post truth shite "

We've learned some lessons and given the political parties a good beat down. Ff Fg Labour and the Greens have all got a kicking at ine point or another. They'll be a bit more wary for the next decade at least.

Plus we're setting up a rainy day fund which is the smartest thing an Irish government has done in years. Instead of giveaway budgets when we get a boom we need to remember to invest in long term value projects and save some for the inevitable crash.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"Ireland retains veto over changes to its tax rates. In 2018 some common rules will be implemented to stop tax avoidance but they have no effect on the tax rates at all."

What part of South Dublin?

I went to Blackrock College's sister school outside Cashel and have family in Boothstown...

That said I'm not likely the frankly bitter sentiments in this thread. Typical post truth shite

We've learned some lessons and given the political parties a good beat down. Ff Fg Labour and the Greens have all got a kicking at ine point or another. They'll be a bit more wary for the next decade at least.

Plus we're setting up a rainy day fund which is the smartest thing an Irish government has done in years. Instead of giveaway budgets when we get a boom we need to remember to invest in long term value projects and save some for the inevitable crash."

I'm talking more about the average person on the street, spend spend spend houses prices flying up lots of new cars... Mistakes of the past

south dublin

"

I'm talking more about the average person on the street, spend spend spend houses prices flying up lots of new cars... Mistakes of the past "

Oh yeah. We're fucked on that. I still dont know why basic personal finance isnt taught in schools.

Agreed...

I don't think it suits the finance industry to be honest.

Better to have hapless fools who think you are doing them a favour

"

We have a fair amount of immigration for a country our size,its not particularly an issue for us as it is for a couple other countries. "

Your in the biggest exodus since the 80s .. 450,000 people have left since 2009.

Nobody wishes the Irish any more luck than me but your not quite out of the woods yet

south dublin

"

We have a fair amount of immigration for a country our size,its not particularly an issue for us as it is for a couple other countries. .

Your in the biggest exodus since the 80s .. 450,000 people have left since 2009.

Nobody wishes the Irish any more luck than me but your not quite out of the woods yet "

We've always been a nation of emigrants, its why theres an Irish Pub in every major city. After Sir Edmund Hilary climbed Everest in Nepal he celebrated with a pint of guinness in the Irish pub he found at the top of the mountain.

Brexit remains a terrible idea for the UK and the EU. But financially Ireland is going to get a lot stronger over the next 5 years."

There's just one tiny stumbling block with this wonderful news....

There is no housing for any of these new bankers to live in !!!!

Correct me if I am wrong but don't you have a cardboard city just on the outskirts of Dublin currently housing about 2000 people

The bitterness in this thread.

south dublin

" There's just one tiny stumbling block with this wonderful news....

There is no housing for any of these new bankers to live in !!!!

Correct me if I am wrong but don't you have a cardboard city just on the outskirts of Dublin currently housing about 2000 people"

I think youve got us confused with the favellas in Brazil

If a bank moves out of the uk then just dump them and join a bank that stays in the uk

Same with companies if they decide to vacate the U.K. Then deal with others that stay

By *enard ArgenteMan  over a year ago

London and France

"If a bank moves out of the uk then just dump them and join a bank that stays in the uk

Same with companies if they decide to vacate the U.K. Then deal with others that stay "

High street banking, and whether individuals bank with them is of little concern.

"If a bank moves out of the uk then just dump them and join a bank that stays in the uk

Same with companies if they decide to vacate the U.K. Then deal with others that stay

High street banking, and whether individuals bank with them is of little concern.

"

Until people in their millions move thier money

south dublin

Until people in their millions move thier money "

People wont do that. Brexit is forcing the companies hand, staying in the Uk will cost tens of millions. The move for Barclays to move to Dublin will cost the company 15 million and theyre not hesitating because thats the cheaper option.

If you dont like it blame the people who voted for Brexit. It was said all along that this would force businesses out of the Uk but they didnt listen.

"

No but then we could just revoke they're banking licence which would stop then from operating on UK soil.

That might be of a concern for them?

south dublin

No but then we could just revoke they're banking licence which would stop then from operating on UK soil.

That might be of a concern for them?"

And what about all the peoples money they have deposited with them? If theyre no longer allowed to operate then they cant accept deposits or withdrawals.

Not to mention that its illegal to lash out at companies like that. What if the government decided to target individual companies that supported the opposition?

And you'll massively reduce competition which would be terrible for consumers.

If you ask these businesses to choose between the EU market or the UK they'll choose the much larger EU.

This situation is the result of Brexit. Its a completely self inflicted wound and people cant complain because they were clearly told this would happen.

And what about all the peoples money they have deposited with them? If theyre no longer allowed to operate then they cant accept deposits or withdrawals.

Not to mention that its illegal to lash out at companies like that. What if the government decided to target individual companies that supported the opposition?

If you ask these businesses to choose between the EU market or the UK they'll choose the much larger EU.

This situation is the result of Brexit. Its a completely self inflicted wound and people cant complain because they were clearly told this would happen."

FDR created ten banks during the 30s using state money!.

Your next argument, less competition?.

Well we've done just for the last 10 years we've reduced the number of banks into a few big banks, what we should have done is let them go to the wall and replaced them with more!.

You just tell Barclays that they have to have subsidiary that can only operate in the UK or tell them they can move where they like but they'll be taxed as if there based here or remove they're licence altogether and replace it with a state Bank which you can privatise at your leisure.... There's lots of things a state can do if we so choose

If you want to belive your helpless to what business chooses to do that's fine but I'm of the opinion that were not.

Markets create business and markets are what you can control as a state

London and France

This situation is the result of Brexit. Its a completely self inflicted wound and people cant complain because they were clearly told this would happen..

FDR created ten banks during the 30s using state money!.

Your next argument, less competition?.

Well we've done just for the last 10 years we've reduced the number of banks into a few big banks, what we should have done is let them go to the wall and replaced them with more!.

You just tell Barclays that they have to have subsidiary that can only operate in the UK or tell them they can move where they like but they'll be taxed as if there based here or remove they're licence altogether and replace it with a state Bank which you can privatise at your leisure.... There's lots of things a state can do if we so choose"

You have a state bank

It's called RBS

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

What a load of rubbish,who writes this utter bullshit,just being honest that's all

south dublin

Brexit will probably be the best thing to happen to the Irish economy in years What a load of rubbish,who writes this utter bullshit,just being honest that's all"

Are you being honest or just in denial?

The banks need a base of operations in the EU. Thats undeniable, it makes sense that Dublin would be the best option because we're english speaking, similar culture and we have lots of global companies working here including some big financial companies.

If Dublin gets these companies it will provide high paying jobs, it will provide huge customers for Irish suppliers and provide huge increases in tax revenue. So yeah, Brexit could be amazing for us.

By *ixson-BallsMan  over a year ago

Blackpool

barclays are only looking...it hasn't happened yet...

Brexit will probably be the best thing to happen to the Irish economy in years What a load of rubbish,who writes this utter bullshit,just being honest that's all

Are you being honest or just in denial?

The banks need a base of operations in the EU. Thats undeniable, it makes sense that Dublin would be the best option because we're english speaking, similar culture and we have lots of global companies working here including some big financial companies.

If Dublin gets these companies it will provide high paying jobs, it will provide huge customers for Irish suppliers and provide huge increases in tax revenue. So yeah, Brexit could be amazing for us."

Well rather Ireland than France

south dublin

"barclays are only looking...it hasn't happened yet..."

They and Standard Chartered, Credit Suisse and apparently 40 other financial companies.

This is a big deal because they are putting resources towards planning this out and working out the logistics and dealing with the Irish government on how best to achieve it.

Like it or not there is now a very strong chance that these companies will all be moving their EU operations out of the UK.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"barclays are only looking...it hasn't happened yet...

They and Standard Chartered, Credit Suisse and apparently 40 other financial companies.

This is a big deal because they are putting resources towards planning this out and working out the logistics and dealing with the Irish government on how best to achieve it.

Like it or not there is now a very strong chance that these companies will all be moving their EU operations out of the UK."

so where are the offices and the houses for all these companies?

south dublin

Like it or not there is now a very strong chance that these companies will all be moving their EU operations out of the UK.so where are the offices and the houses for all these companies?"

There are 150 new office buildings in the works for Dublin at the moment.

There are 21,000 homes vacant at the moment. And many of the people who will be hired for these new companies will be people who are here already because not everyone will want to uproot their lives to follow their job overseas so those Irish people will already be living somewhere.

Plus theres other cities like Cork where Apple are moving all their non-US iTunes and AppStore business too and adding another 1500 employees.

We'll have no issue taking on these great high paying jobs that the UK have kindly sent our way

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Like it or not there is now a very strong chance that these companies will all be moving their EU operations out of the UK.so where are the offices and the houses for all these companies?"

Is that what you are basing the UK's economic future on? There not being enough office space in the rest of the world to allow them to move.

bournemouth

Like it or not there is now a very strong chance that these companies will all be moving their EU operations out of the UK.so where are the offices and the houses for all these companies?

There are 21,000 homes vacant at the moment. And many of the people who will be hired for these new companies will be people who are here already because not everyone will want to uproot their lives to follow their job overseas so those Irish people will already be living somewhere.

Plus theres other cities like Cork where Apple are moving all their non-US iTunes and AppStore business too and adding another 1500 employees.

We'll have no issue taking on these great high paying jobs that the UK have kindly sent our way "

According to city speak there are 2.1 MILLION employed in financial services in london dont think they will be happy all living in 21,000 houses, of course companies will look to base themselves where they think its best but untill the jobs are advertised I would be too sure

south dublin

Like it or not there is now a very strong chance that these companies will all be moving their EU operations out of the UK.so where are the offices and the houses for all these companies?

We'll have no issue taking on these great high paying jobs that the UK have kindly sent our way

According to city speak there are 2.1 MILLION employed in financial services in london dont think they will be happy all living in 21,000 houses, of course companies will look to base themselves where they think its best but untill the jobs are advertised I would be too sure"

Not all of them will come to Dublin of course. And as Brexit is still a couple years away we have plenty of time to prepare. But from an Irish point of view its good news, more jobs, more construction which means even more jobs. A ton of money being injected into the economy. I dont think Ireland will mind having as many jobs as we can handle!

But from the UKs point of view this is the start of losses for the economy. Companies, jobs, tax revenue. The knock on effect this will all have when suplliers lose customers and have to cut their own costs. Your social welfare payments increasing. Tough times ahead.

We'll have no issue taking on these great high paying jobs that the UK have kindly sent our way "

I was in Dublin last October on business and was repatedly asked about brexit, and people were talking about the banking sector moving to Dublin and your own countrymen brought up about the lack of houses and cardboard city so are they wrong then.

According to city speak there are 2.1 MILLION employed in financial services in london dont think they will be happy all living in 21,000 houses, of course companies will look to base themselves where they think its best but untill the jobs are advertised I would be too sure

Not all of them will come to Dublin of course. And as Brexit is still a couple years away we have plenty of time to prepare. But from an Irish point of view its good news, more jobs, more construction which means even more jobs. A ton of money being injected into the economy. I dont think Ireland will mind having as many jobs as we can handle!

But from the UKs point of view this is the start of losses for the economy. Companies, jobs, tax revenue. The knock on effect this will all have when suplliers lose customers and have to cut their own costs. Your social welfare payments increasing. Tough times ahead."

Not being funny but let's just say your right, what's it to you?.

I mean why come on and do this little were it your shit childish routine.

Does it really matter to you if the UK is due hard times?.

Your beginning to sound like a south Dubliner to be honest

Cambridge

But from the UKs point of view this is the start of losses for the economy. Companies, jobs, tax revenue. The knock on effect this will all have when suplliers lose customers and have to cut their own costs. Your social welfare payments increasing. Tough times ahead..

"

Why do you think he shouldn't be able to comment on UK politics? On here we talk about UK, US and European politics to name but a few.

"

Why do you think he shouldn't be able to comment on UK politics? On here we talk about UK, US and European politics to name but a few. "

He can comment all he likes, it was the manner of commentary I was taking about... It's beginning to be childish

bournemouth

"barclays are only looking...it

But from the UKs point of view this is the start of losses for the economy. Companies, jobs, tax revenue. The knock on effect this will all have when suplliers lose customers and have to cut their own costs. Your social welfare payments increasing. Tough times ahead."

Out of interest I read the link you posted and as I said they are looking at choices which no doubt many firms will be doing and do do at regular intervals, I also looked up another article they have written in which they claim the irish can stop the UK leaving, if they actually believe that can legally happen then they have some seriously deluded people working there which of course makes me wonder how much truth there is in the article you quote

south dublin

I was in Dublin last October on business and was repatedly asked about brexit, and people were talking about the banking sector moving to Dublin and your own countrymen brought up about the lack of houses and cardboard city so are they wrong then."

Houses are in demand right now so some people are holding off on selling in case they can make more money in a few months. Its a sellers market so if you were looking to buy it would be tough, but a shortage isnt the problem.

And if they were talking about a cardboard city outside Dublin they were winding you up. We're a sarcastic bunch like that. Cardboard cities are found in the likes of Brazil and some of the poorer parts of Africa. The homeless here stay in hostels or if theyre lucky the government will pay for medium term housing in hotels. But theres definitely no cardboard city.

south dublin

But from the UKs point of view this is the start of losses for the economy. Companies, jobs, tax revenue. The knock on effect this will all have when suplliers lose customers and have to cut their own costs. Your social welfare payments increasing. Tough times ahead.

Out of interest I read the link you posted and as I said they are looking at choices which no doubt many firms will be doing and do do at regular intervals, I also looked up another article they have written in which they claim the irish can stop the UK leaving, if they actually believe that can legally happen then they have some seriously deluded people working there which of course makes me wonder how much truth there is in the article you quote"

Its been reported by multiple outlets and confirmed by the minister of finance. Its also the obvious next step for the financial institutions to take.

south dublin

But from the UKs point of view this is the start of losses for the economy. Companies, jobs, tax revenue. The knock on effect this will all have when suplliers lose customers and have to cut their own costs. Your social welfare payments increasing. Tough times ahead..

"

Yes of course what happens in the UK matters. I have english and scottish friends and some family over there. And your our closest neighbours so we'd rather see you prosper than endure another recession. And this particular part effects both Ireland and Britain.

"

Yes of course what happens in the UK matters. I have english and scottish friends and some family over there. And your our closest neighbours so we'd rather see you prosper than endure another recession. And this particular part effects both Ireland and Britain."

. Were Irish, we've got relatives everywhere,

I've got family in the states, I'm not going to phone them up and tell them what a daft bunch of cunts they've been voting in trump even though I feel like it, it's called having a bit of humility!.

Now if you wanna have a conversation about the best direction of the Irish economy I'm happy to join in!

By *ixson-BallsMan  over a year ago

Blackpool

Out of interest I read the link you posted and as I said they are looking at choices which no doubt many firms will be doing and do do at regular intervals, I also looked up another article they have written in which they claim the irish can stop the UK leaving, if they actually believe that can legally happen then they have some seriously deluded people working there which of course makes me wonder how much truth there is in the article you quote

Its been reported by multiple outlets and confirmed by the minister of finance. Its also the obvious next step for the financial institutions to take. "

well IF and at this stage, thats all anyone informed or not can say, then it happens...but somehow between now and actually leaving the EU the goalposts are gonna get moved a few more times me thinks

south dublin

"

Yes of course what happens in the UK matters. I have english and scottish friends and some family over there. And your our closest neighbours so we'd rather see you prosper than endure another recession. And this particular part effects both Ireland and Britain.. Were Irish, we've got relatives everywhere,

I've got family in the states, I'm not going to phone them up and tell them what a daft bunch of cunts they've been voting in trump even though I feel like it, it's called having a bit of humility!.

Now if you wanna have a conversation about the best direction of the Irish economy I'm happy to join in!"

I didnt say anyone was daft, and I dont revel in hard times for Britain. Tbh Im still hopeful that Brexit wont happen once the people see what the results are going to be. Particularly with Trump in power Europe needs to be a strong world leader and politically we're weaker without the UK. China of all places is manouevering itself to try and fill the void if the US steps back from world affairs. Russia has been gearing up for just such an opportunity and now Europe is split. Stopping Brexit becoming a reality would put up some resistance but now we're fractured and weaker.

"

Yes of course what happens in the UK matters. I have english and scottish friends and some family over there. And your our closest neighbours so we'd rather see you prosper than endure another recession. And this particular part effects both Ireland and Britain.. Were Irish, we've got relatives everywhere,

Now if you wanna have a conversation about the best direction of the Irish economy I'm happy to join in!

I didnt say anyone was daft, and I dont revel in hard times for Britain. Tbh Im still hopeful that Brexit wont happen once the people see what the results are going to be. Particularly with Trump in power Europe needs to be a strong world leader and politically we're weaker without the UK. China of all places is manouevering itself to try and fill the void if the US steps back from world affairs. Russia has been gearing up for just such an opportunity and now Europe is split. Stopping Brexit becoming a reality would put up some resistance but now we're fractured and weaker."

There's a movement building all over the world and it's not left or right or liberal or conservative.... It's not even black and white.

The poor and the working class are fucked off and angry, it's been coming for awhile now, my hope is that something good and completely different comes out the other side but it could be we just turn even crazier, if we do, well so be it, we haven't got that long under the present system to be honest.

But like I say my hope is that out of the precipice something altogether different will emerge that could only emerge from the depths of despair

bournemouth

"

There's a movement building all over the world and it's not left or right or liberal or conservative.... It's not even black and white.

The poor and the working class are fucked off and angry, it's been coming for awhile now, my hope is that something good and completely different comes out the other side but it could be we just turn even crazier, if we do, well so be it, we haven't got that long under the present system to be honest.

But like I say my hope is that out of the precipice something altogether different will emerge that could only emerge from the depths of despair"

People wont do that. Brexit is forcing the companies hand, staying in the Uk will cost tens of millions. The move for Barclays to move to Dublin will cost the company 15 million and theyre not hesitating because thats the cheaper option.

If you dont like it blame the people who voted for Brexit. It was said all along that this would force businesses out of the Uk but they didnt listen."

If my back moved out of the uk I would defiantly move my money to another bank

The real problem in the world is not countries,borders, banking, brexit, trump or Russia...

It's disparity and for 40 years it's only been going one way.... And if that's the way you wanna go then democracy isn't the system you want to rule by because it's going to end badly for everybody!... And yes racism and xenophobia and sexism and all those things will have an effect but there not the cause, I had this argument with Courtney the other day, look at some of those states that voted trump they voted democratic twice before, either they all turned racist and sexist over the last few years or the lower end of society have just started to think my usual parties aren't doing anything for me?

south dublin

Its all about the inequality in the economy. We're getting into a situation where youre either well off or youre fucked. Theres frustration building for years. But angry people dont make good decisions.

Honestly Im just hoping we can maintain the status quo for a little while longer until automation really takes off and we're forced to implement a system of basic income. Its already gaining traction and its the only way we're going to fix things imo.

One of the great side benefits of the system is that people will actually have time and energy to engage in politics more and we might have enough of a groundswell to make better decisions for the majority instead of the powerfull minority.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"barclays are only looking...it hasn't happened yet..."
It is just another story and rumour it is like a transfare rumour in football 90%rubbish but people follow these silly stories,no I am not in denial but I live in the real world.

London and France

If you dont like it blame the people who voted for Brexit. It was said all along that this would force businesses out of the Uk but they didnt listen.

If my back moved out of the uk I would defiantly move my money to another bank "

Well you would have to, since your bank wouldn't be in UK anymore.....

Unless you moved to wherever it had gone

"Its all about the inequality in the economy. We're getting into a situation where youre either well off or youre fucked. Theres frustration building for years. But angry people dont make good decisions.

Honestly Im just hoping we can maintain the status quo for a little while longer until automation really takes off and we're forced to implement a system of basic income. Its already gaining traction and its the only way we're going to fix things imo.

One of the great side benefits of the system is that people will actually have time and energy to engage in politics more and we might have enough of a groundswell to make better decisions for the majority instead of the powerfull minority."

If you read any of the prospectives put out by the banks they foresee ten years of political instability throughout the western world, given the fact that the middle East has been in turmoil for 50 years that leaves India and China to save everybody, the Chinese are taking traders off the floor and disappearing them and India won't fare any better because they struggle with exactly the same problems the west do, class struggle....I don't honestly know where I'd put my money for long term and I don't think any traders know either, the only thing I'm sure of is things are going to get alot worse before they get better

Cambridge

"

If my back moved out of the uk I would defiantly move my money to another bank "

That's retail banking, and not what we are talking about here.

London and France

"

That's retail banking, and not what we are talking about here."

I don't think they understand that;

Cambridge

"

I didnt say anyone was daft, and I dont revel in hard times for Britain. Tbh Im still hopeful that Brexit wont happen once the people see what the results are going to be. Particularly with Trump in power Europe needs to be a strong world leader and politically we're weaker without the UK. China of all places is manouevering itself to try and fill the void if the US steps back from world affairs. Russia has been gearing up for just such an opportunity and now Europe is split. Stopping Brexit becoming a reality would put up some resistance but now we're fractured and weaker..

But like I say my hope is that out of the precipice something altogether different will emerge that could only emerge from the depths of despair"

It's people like trump and farage and to some extent Corbyn that are trying to get you pissed off and angry so that they can gain political power. Your life, and the lives of everyone in Britain isn't that shit. We have universal health care, the welfare system, social housing, disability benefits, the rule of law, freedoms of press and religion and speech, high employment as well as a huge charitable sector. We are the 5th/6th largest economy, dont listen to all the doom and gloom about how shit it is. It's simply not true.

Try growing up as a refugee in Western Sahara and then say how shit the UK is. Try having your family ethically cleansed in the Balkans and then say how shit the UK is. Try ploughing a field in Burma that is scattered with landmines with a little tear in your eye for all the hard done by people in the UK.

Try living those lives and then decide if the people of the UK should be pissed off and angry about their lot in life.

Cambridge

"

"

You're right, they don't. They should think of banks like in Die Hard, not HEAT or Point Break.

"

I didnt say anyone was daft, and I dont revel in hard times for Britain. Tbh Im still hopeful that Brexit wont happen once the people see what the results are going to be. Particularly with Trump in power Europe needs to be a strong world leader and politically we're weaker without the UK. China of all places is manouevering itself to try and fill the void if the US steps back from world affairs. Russia has been gearing up for just such an opportunity and now Europe is split. Stopping Brexit becoming a reality would put up some resistance but now we're fractured and weaker..

But like I say my hope is that out of the precipice something altogether different will emerge that could only emerge from the depths of despair

It's people like trump and farage and to some extent Corbyn that are trying to get you pissed off and angry so that they can gain political power. Your life, and the lives of everyone in Britain isn't that shit. We have universal health care, the welfare system, social housing, disability benefits, the rule of law, freedoms of press and religion and speech, high employment as well as a huge charitable sector. We are the 5th/6th largest economy, dont listen to all the doom and gloom about how shit it is. It's simply not true.

Try growing up as a refugee in Western Sahara and then say how shit the UK is. Try having your family ethically cleansed in the Balkans and then say how shit the UK is. Try ploughing a field in Burma that is scattered with landmines with a little tear in your eye for all the hard done by people in the UK.

Try living those lives and then decide if the people of the UK should be pissed off and angry about their lot in life."

ffs you've been saying how shit the UK is and will be since the referendum!

"

You're right, they don't. They should think of banks like in Die Hard, not HEAT or Point Break."

no, they are not as thick as you

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

and what happens if the EU penalises you as a tax haven and says no more? Or the UK lowers corporation tax?"

The EU can't do that without treaty change over which the Irish will still have a veto. Unlike the a post BREXIT UK who could have additional restrictions placed on us by the EU if we decided to go for a low corp tax economy. So much for taking back control.

"

? I can have my money in any account in any country as long as I tell HMRC

"

You're right, they don't. They should think of banks like in Die Hard, not HEAT or Point Break."

These days you never know just how much in investmants a private person may or may not have and in what banks they use for transactions so if enough people said close my account and moved thier money elsewhere it would make a difference to the share price

London and France

? I can have my money in any account in any country as long as I tell HMRC "

But you " defiantly " ( did you mean definitely?) won't have your money in an account which moves out of UK?

Of course, you are dependent on the banking regulations of those other countries ( residency etc) to open accounts in other countries.

But you " defiantly " ( did you mean definitely?) won't have your money in an account which moves out of UK?

Of course, you are dependent on the banking regulations of those other countries ( residency etc) to open accounts in other countries."

As you have said dependant on the regulations of other countries, but nearly all countries will let you put your money into thier banks as long as you are up front about it and as long as HMRC is aware

London and France

Of course, you are dependent on the banking regulations of those other countries ( residency etc) to open accounts in other countries.

As you have said dependant on the regulations of other countries, but nearly all countries will let you put your money into thier banks as long as you are up front about it and as long as HMRC is aware "

Actually they won't. It is quite difficult in the majority of countries, and you have to jump through a large number of hoops to do so; inclufing( usually) full time or part time residency.

And in many countries, if the bank ( or the authorities) believe you are no longer resident; your account is closed, automatically.

The international anti-money laundering rules also make it an extremely difficult process to open an account in a country that you are not resident in.

If you bank with an international bank, it is easier;

As you have said dependant on the regulations of other countries, but nearly all countries will let you put your money into thier banks as long as you are up front about it and as long as HMRC is aware

Actually they won't. It is quite difficult in the majority of countries, and you have to jump through a large number of hoops to do so; inclufing( usually) full time or part time residency.

And in many countries, if the bank ( or the authorities) believe you are no longer resident; your account is closed, automatically.

The international anti-money laundering rules also make it an extremely difficult process to open an account in a country that you are not resident in.

If you bank with an international bank, it is easier; "

I have a bank account in Spain opened with nothing more than my passport number and English address

The only reason banks is here, is because of the single market, now there is no reason, so they are moving to other places in the eu to be in the club

I have a bank account in Spain opened with nothing more than my passport number and English address"

if it was as described - the bank has broken money laundering regulations! Documentary proof of residence by means of rates or utility bill, passport or identity card are minimum requirements. The bank's copy these to show compliance.

I have a bank account in Spain opened with nothing more than my passport number and English addressif it was as described - the bank has broken money laundering regulations! Documentary proof of residence by means of rates or utility bill, passport or identity card are minimum requirements. The bank's copy these to show compliance. "

ye, minimum requirement, passport

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

"

Try living those lives and then decide if the people of the UK should be pissed off and angry about their lot in life."

Quite, but objective facts don't matter anymore. It's all about how you feel or are made to feel.

It's mass narcissism. The individual is all that's important now but the individual is not responsible for the situation they are in. It must be somebody else's fault.

It's perfectly sensible for banks to move their EU trading operations to an EU state. There is no guarantee that the UK will be granted a trading licences by the EU who are perfectly correct to police their own financial system.

These jobs will go, I'm not sure what the logic of not moving them would be. Would someone wish to explain?

Dublin is significantly cheaper than London so it could well make sense to move more jobs. After all international trading can be done anywhere as long as the regulatory framework guarantees contracts adequately. What will we have to drop our tax rates to to keep them? They have huge leverage now. What does the UK government have? Retail banking makes a tiny margin, it's just a nice to have at scale. Plenty of banks don't bother.

The UK is at the centre of finance due to accidents of history and geography. The country has no right to it.

The fact that Ireland has been playing the tax system indicates the limits of EU power over individual states. I thought the Brexit vote would applaud that?

If it happens it's down to the 52%. Just take responsibility. If the UK economy grows, then take the credit.

Babbacombe Torquay

I have a bank account in Spain opened with nothing more than my passport number and English address"

That's an account opened some time ago then.....

I have a bank account in Spain opened with nothing more than my passport number and English address

That's an account opened some time ago then....."

That one about 4 years ago

Cambridge

From Transferwise:

Opening a bank account as a non-resident

In order to open a bank account as a non-resident, you’ll need the following documents:

your valid, unexpired passport or national identity card (if you’re an EU citizen);

a document to prove your address, such as a recent bank statement or utility bill (less than 3 months old); and

a document to prove your employment status (such as a payslip, tax return or a government letter confirming that you’re unemployed or receiving state benefits).

For the documents to be acceptable, you’ll have to get them officially translated into Spanish by a sworn official translator, called traductor jurado. Depending on where you live, you may be able to find an official translation service and get your documents translated before you move.

Certificado de No Residente / Non-resident confirmation

Some banks may also require a so-called ‘Certificado de No Residente’ - a letter that confirms you are a non-resident. You can get this letter by going to a police station and showing your passport. Some banks may also offer to get this for you against payment of a fee (normally in the region of €15).

Opening a bank account as a resident

In order to open a resident bank account, you’ll typically need the following documents:

your valid, unexpired passport or national identity card (if you’re an EU citizen);

a document to prove your Spanish address (such as a lease, a recent utility bill or a recent bank statement;

your Spanish NIE number; and

proof of your employment status (such as an employment contract, a student card or unemployment paperwork).

You should apply for your NIE first, as you’ll need it to do anything that requires an official process. This includes getting a job, renting or buying property, getting connected to utilities and paying taxes.

Another FAIL for CandM

"From Transferwise:

In order to open a bank account as a non-resident, you’ll need the following documents:

a document to prove your address, such as a recent bank statement or utility bill (less than 3 months old); and

a document to prove your employment status (such as a payslip, tax return or a government letter confirming that you’re unemployed or receiving state benefits).

For the documents to be acceptable, you’ll have to get them officially translated into Spanish by a sworn official translator, called traductor jurado. Depending on where you live, you may be able to find an official translation service and get your documents translated before you move.

Some banks may also require a so-called ‘Certificado de No Residente’ - a letter that confirms you are a non-resident. You can get this letter by going to a police station and showing your passport. Some banks may also offer to get this for you against payment of a fee (normally in the region of €15).

In order to open a resident bank account, you’ll typically need the following documents:

a document to prove your Spanish address (such as a lease, a recent utility bill or a recent bank statement;

proof of your employment status (such as an employment contract, a student card or unemployment paperwork).

You should apply for your NIE first, as you’ll need it to do anything that requires an official process. This includes getting a job, renting or buying property, getting connected to utilities and paying taxes.

Another FAIL for CandM "

I don't think so, like I said, a passport and address/proof of address in the UK is all that is required

I am no longer a resident in Spain but have had a NIE for about 20 years, which is irrelevant anyway as it wasn't needed. In fact my tax code on statements is my passport number. Translator? Maybe the banks employ one but I speak Spanish and my personal account manager speaks perfect English, either way that wasn't a problem. If you don't believe me maybe you should try it some day

Babbacombe Torquay

That one about 4 years ago"

Must have been at least that, because Spain now has some of the strongest Anti Money Laundering and Anti Terrorism funding financial laws in Europe.....in fact far stricter than the UK.

North West

"From Transferwise:

Another FAIL for CandM "

I have a non resident account with BBV in Spain.

I have a non resident account with AXA in France.

I have a non resident account with BoA in the USA.

None were in any way difficult to open. The confirmation of non residency is simmy a personal statement.

North West

Simply a personal statement

"From Transferwise:

Another FAIL for CandM

I have a non resident account with BBV in Spain.

I have a non resident account with AXA in France.

I have a non resident account with BoA in the USA.

None were in any way difficult to open. The confirmation of non residency is simmy a personal statement."

thank you

That one about 4 years ago

Must have been at least that, because Spain now has some of the strongest Anti Money Laundering and Anti Terrorism funding financial laws in Europe.....in fact far stricter than the UK.

"

you may be right, when I transferred a large amount of money it went 'missing' for a couple of days and frankly I shat meself but it turned out that the government had put a hold on it while they checked it/me out. That is what they are interested in with regards to laundering, sudden movemets of large amounts, I would imagine that opening an account is still straight forward and easy. I know a couple who fairly recently opened an account and just use it to transfer holiday money when the pound is strong against the euro which makes sense if you holiday there a lot, they also said it was quick and easy and they've never had a problem

Babbacombe Torquay

Yes it's moved on a fair bit since 2011, then many of the main banks adopted the new firmer security practices in advance of and before legislation kicked in, now since early 2014 it's a requirement to scan and copy the passport of a non resident using the World-Check software programme which is the same used at passport control at Spanish airports......additional proof of UK address is the only other documentary evidence required, although the bank involved is also within its rights to ask you to fill in n a non residency form at a police station, though these waiver forms are also found in most leading Spanish banks.

"Yes it's moved on a fair bit since 2011, then many of the main banks adopted the new firmer security practices in advance of and before legislation kicked in, now since early 2014 it's a requirement to scan and copy the passport of a non resident using the World-Check software programme which is the same used at passport control at Spanish airports......additional proof of UK address is the only other documentary evidence required, although the bank involved is also within its rights to ask you to fill in n a non residency form at a police station, though these waiver forms are also found in most leading Spanish banks."

well ye, they scanned and photocopied the passport then. When I said I opened it with a passport number, I didn't mean literally just a number. That changes every time you renew a passport anyway

North West

I think that it fairly self evident now that with an inevitable exit from the single market the best that Theresa May can hope for is some negotiated industry specific deals for financial services, car manufacturers and component suppliers to get some kind of seamless arrangements via the customs union. That said, the remaining 27 nations are under no obligation to do anything at all and none have made any kind of conciliatory noises. Not surprising the way that the Brexit Tories have been conducting themselves and what they have been quite publicly saying about the EU.

The long and short then is that Brexit will probably take the form of a slow motion train wreck as the economy collapses - not catastrophically - but a kind of slow death by a thousand cuts. One by one, and bit by bit - inward investment halted - one business, leaves from one sector - another builds a new factory elsewhere and so on, and so on. It won't be an evident and obvious ciollapse but it will probably manifest itself first on Treasury tax receipts and mild inflation.

Cambridge

"I think that it fairly self evident now that with an inevitable exit from the single market the best that Theresa May can hope for is some negotiated industry specific deals for financial services, car manufacturers and component suppliers to get some kind of seamless arrangements via the customs union. That said, the remaining 27 nations are under no obligation to do anything at all and none have made any kind of conciliatory noises. Not surprising the way that the Brexit Tories have been conducting themselves and what they have been quite publicly saying about the EU.

The long and short then is that Brexit will probably take the form of a slow motion train wreck as the economy collapses - not catastrophically - but a kind of slow death by a thousand cuts. One by one, and bit by bit - inward investment halted - one business, leaves from one sector - another builds a new factory elsewhere and so on, and so on. It won't be an evident and obvious ciollapse but it will probably manifest itself first on Treasury tax receipts and mild inflation."

However WTO rules doesn’t allow for industry by industry negotiations

"

Excellent post, if only we could get people to switch off the media they'd be as happy as some of those third world people who actually know how to live

"

It's perfectly sensible for banks to move their EU trading operations to an EU state. There is no guarantee that the UK will be granted a trading licences by the EU who are perfectly correct to police their own financial system.

These jobs will go, I'm not sure what the logic of not moving them would be. Would someone wish to explain?

Dublin is significantly cheaper than London so it could well make sense to move more jobs. After all international trading can be done anywhere as long as the regulatory framework guarantees contracts adequately. What will we have to drop our tax rates to to keep them? They have huge leverage now. What does the UK government have? Retail banking makes a tiny margin, it's just a nice to have at scale. Plenty of banks don't bother.

The UK is at the centre of finance due to accidents of history and geography. The country has no right to it.

The fact that Ireland has been playing the tax system indicates the limits of EU power over individual states. I thought the Brexit vote would applaud that?

If it happens it's down to the 52%. Just take responsibility. If the UK economy grows, then take the credit."

I don't know what the jobs are that are moving but I'd like to point out a few things.

London isn't a fluke of geography it's a deliberate act of greed that keeps all the players there, London allows something that nobody else does anywhere.

Unlimited rehypothacation of debt!, you can sell the same shit over and over and over, it's where the money is!.

Retail banking is the fuel for your ill-gotten trading you can't have one without the other, why do you think nobody has broken them up?.

To be honest, I don't know what the "plan" for investment banking is, they've pushed up stocks beyond rasionality, they've pushed up housing beyond what you could expect any big gains, they've done the commoditys market already and without significant global GDP growth that's not going anywhere, at the moment there feeding on the junk bond market with the 15% returns, but they don't call it junk bond for nothing!.

Your right 3,6,3 banking has small margins but it also has something else.... Stability

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

"

I don't know what the jobs are that are moving but I'd like to point out a few things.

London isn't a fluke of geography it's a deliberate act of greed that keeps all the players there, London allows something that nobody else does anywhere.

Unlimited rehypothacation of debt!, you can sell the same shit over and over and over, it's where the money is!.

Retail banking is the fuel for your ill-gotten trading you can't have one without the other, why do you think nobody has broken them up?.

To be honest, I don't know what the "plan" for investment banking is, they've pushed up stocks beyond rasionality, they've pushed up housing beyond what you could expect any big gains, they've done the commoditys market already and without significant global GDP growth that's not going anywhere, at the moment there feeding on the junk bond market with the 15% returns, but they don't call it junk bond for nothing!.

Your right 3,6,3 banking has small margins but it also has something else.... Stability"

I'm not saying that the system us defensible, I'm just saying that moving European trading jobs to Ireland is perfectly rational. If it's cheaper veterans they like it, it would be perfectly rational to move other jobs there.

It doesn't benefit the UK, but I'm not sure what there is for Leavers to get angry about. That's capitalism. Unless someone wants to start directing the market, which is a little bit like interference and red tape

It's a negative consequence of Brexit. Own it, although it seems like no one wishes to.

» Add a new message to this topic