FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Why don’t England go it alone...

Why don’t England go it alone...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ering Sea OP   Man  over a year ago

Penicuik

Genuine question, why don’t England go it alone ?

Is there a will and desire from our southern friends to MEGA and delivering independence standing on her own feet with self sufficient resources.

Could England survive without being drip fed from Scotland and her wealth of natural resources.

The union is relatively new, some 314 years just.

If Scotland is such a burden what’s the case of remaining in the union. ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I suspect, and this is only based on a feeling but one reinforced by many discussions on the topic with English people, that England rather enjoys being the biggest country in the union. To separate would make it an entity on its own and that’s against its psyche.

Also, its parts seem disparate, unlike the other three and rail against the central hub. It’s safe to say that England is a fractured country.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"I suspect, and this is only based on a feeling but one reinforced by many discussions on the topic with English people, that England rather enjoys being the biggest country in the union. To separate would make it an entity on its own and that’s against its psyche.

Also, its parts seem disparate, unlike the other three and rail against the central hub. It’s safe to say that England is a fractured country."

I think you will find that most English people do not really care about being the bigger part of the UK.

They would much rather just get on with life

By *adetMan  over a year ago

Ipswich

"I suspect, and this is only based on a feeling but one reinforced by many discussions on the topic with English people, that England rather enjoys being the biggest country in the union. To separate would make it an entity on its own and that’s against its psyche.

Also, its parts seem disparate, unlike the other three and rail against the central hub. It’s safe to say that England is a fractured country.

I think you will find that most English people do not really care about being the bigger part of the UK.

They would much rather just get on with life "

Exactly. I've said this several times on here, I really don't think English people care one way or the other

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

water, electricity, land ownership by the political elite in whitehall etc etc.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Also, its parts seem disparate, unlike the other three and rail against the central hub. It’s safe to say that England is a fractured country."

I think it's very fractured.

But brexiteers think we are still in the days of the empire.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"water, electricity, land ownership by the political elite in whitehall etc etc."

Pretty much this. Obviously, England could go it alone. However, their elites - political and otherwise - cannot bear the loss of Scotland.

Why Scotland, in particular? Well, it's about a third of the UK's landmass and it's surrounded by a lot of important territorial water - which would not be English; were England to go it alone. Plus, Trident's replacement would have to be docked in England.

The loss of Wales and Northern Ireland would be a further blow to the pride of the English elites.

They and their kind have no use for the Scottish, Welsh or N. Irish people; they care nothing for us. They've just shown, in order to suit their own purposes, that they'll even take a massive shit all over their own supporters in Scotland - the fishermen.

To Boris and his kind, the people who fund them and the people whose bidding he does; we're just an inconvenience. We don't vote for them; indeed, most of us oppose them.

But the loss of all that land, all that water, all that "ownership"; they'll never give that up - and they'll go out of their way to ignore democracy in order to keep their privileges, because they see them as rights.

And, just for a moment; what would be left to them - if they did decide to only govern themselves? Something else they're not keen on - an England even more divided now, than it became under Thatcher.

By *kstallionMan  over a year ago

milton keynes

"Genuine question, why don’t England go it alone ?

Is there a will and desire from our southern friends to MEGA and delivering independence standing on her own feet with self sufficient resources.

Could England survive without being drip fed from Scotland and her wealth of natural resources.

If Scotland is such a burden what’s the case of remaining in the union. ? "

I don't recall ever being asked in a vote and as England does not have a separate parliament I do not expect it any time soon

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

They would much rather just get on with life "

I see us as one nation a great nation.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

But brexiteers think we are still in the days of the empire."

No brexiteers do not think that you are full of crap

And that’s the crux of the position- Westminster is England’s parliament. Why would it suggest a vote which would remove its reason to be? It’d tear its metaphysical heart out and burn it on a pyre, not to mention entirely diminish the England brand.

liverpool

"water, electricity, land ownership by the political elite in whitehall etc etc.

Pretty much this. Obviously, England could go it alone. However, their elites - political and otherwise - cannot bear the loss of Scotland.

Why Scotland, in particular? Well, it's about a third of the UK's landmass and it's surrounded by a lot of important territorial water - which would not be English; were England to go it alone. Plus, Trident's replacement would have to be docked in England.

The loss of Wales and Northern Ireland would be a further blow to the pride of the English elites.

They and their kind have no use for the Scottish, Welsh or N. Irish people; they care nothing for us. They've just shown, in order to suit their own purposes, that they'll even take a massive shit all over their own supporters in Scotland - the fishermen.

To Boris and his kind, the people who fund them and the people whose bidding he does; we're just an inconvenience. We don't vote for them; indeed, most of us oppose them.

But the loss of all that land, all that water, all that "ownership"; they'll never give that up - and they'll go out of their way to ignore democracy in order to keep their privileges, because they see them as rights.

And, just for a moment; what would be left to them - if they did decide to only govern themselves? Something else they're not keen on - an England even more divided now, than it became under Thatcher."

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

But brexiteers think we are still in the days of the empire.No brexiteers do not think that you are full of crap"

liverpool

But brexiteers think we are still in the days of the empire.No brexiteers do not think that you are full of crap "

Lols

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

Can you put a rough figure on that Scottish contribution to the UK budget?

On the face of it, Westminster spends 17.3% more on public expenditure in Scotland than the UK average:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnett_formula

By *losguygl3Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

Well the biggest problem with what you said is the phrase 'self sufficient resources'. Little England just isn't resource rich. We have to import most of our raw materials. And our manufacturing base isn't that big anymore. And there is no reason to invest capital here anymore.

westerham

We are forging a New Empire. It would be in Scotland’s best interests to be part of that Empire but if they want to go it alone we shall watch and laugh.

liverpool

We are forging a New Empire. It would be in Scotland’s best interests to be part of that Empire but if they want to go it alone we shall watch and laugh. "

Penicuik

On the face of it, Westminster spends 17.3% more on public expenditure in Scotland than the UK average:

"

Better explanation here.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17837412.barnett-formula-knew-dead-means-scotland/

the political class seem to not want to invest their money in the country, but rather hold their wealth offshore out of reach of HMRC. it appears that they do however expect foreign actors to invest in the country and charge the population for the assets they already own and benefit from.

We are forging a New Empire. It would be in Scotland’s best interests to be part of that Empire but if they want to go it alone we shall watch and laugh. "

Do you genuinely think this, and if so, does the world need another British empire?

Think japan before ww2 that is where the UK is at. No resources sluggish economy. Empires are great

westerham

Better explanation here.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17837412.barnett-formula-knew-dead-means-scotland/"

Ah I see, from your link:

“The effect of lower population growth in Scotland is that the existing block grant is spread over a relatively smaller base, (remembering that Barnett only dealt in increments), so tending to increase relative public expenditure per head.“

So yep, as I thought, we are very generous to our Scottish chums.

Who will be the first ‘nation’ to join our empire?

By *xhib12Man  over a year ago

Blyth

Many people in England are sick to the back teeth of listening to the Scots going on and on about independence. Let the English vote on it and you may very well get what you want.

hong kong?

We are forging a New Empire. It would be in Scotland’s best interests to be part of that Empire but if they want to go it alone we shall watch and laugh.

Who will be the first ‘nation’ to join our empire? "

Not us can't have a empire with glitter bombs Unicorns and butterflies as air superiority.

Penicuik

"Many people in England are sick to the back teeth of listening to the Scots going on and on about independence. Let the English vote on it and you may very well get what you want."

Suits me

Better explanation here.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17837412.barnett-formula-knew-dead-means-scotland/

“The effect of lower population growth in Scotland is that the existing block grant is spread over a relatively smaller base, (remembering that Barnett only dealt in increments), so tending to increase relative public expenditure per head.“

"

Well, no, that’s not what it actually means. The ‘we’ bit makes me think you don’t realise it’s not a gift but is actually a grant of some of the payments sent to the treasury from Scotland or part of the amount borrowed by the UK.

Penicuik

Better explanation here.

"

Generous to the extent that every £10 Westminster takes they give us £6:85 back. Aye ok.

westerham

Better explanation here.

Generous to the extent that every £10 Westminster takes they give us £6:85 back. Aye ok. "

Sorry you’ve forgotten to post a link to that claim?

Penicuik

Better explanation here.

Generous to the extent that every £10 Westminster takes they give us £6:85 back. Aye ok.

Sorry you’ve forgotten to post a link to that claim? "

Devils in the details.

westerham

Better explanation here.

Devils in the details. "

You can make whatever claims you like, but you’re maybe not going to win many people over without credible evidence.

By *ust some cock suckerMan  over a year ago

Preston

"Many people in England are sick to the back teeth of listening to the Scots going on and on about independence. Let the English vote on it and you may very well get what you want."

Are we?

It's nothing to do with us English at all anyway.

"Many people in England are sick to the back teeth of listening to the Scots going on and on about independence. Let the English vote on it and you may very well get what you want.

Are we?

It's nothing to do with us English at all anyway. "

Funny, I thought that's why the Scottish Nationalists wanted to leave leave

Penicuik

Better explanation here.

Devils in the details.

You can make whatever claims you like, but you’re maybe not going to win many people over without credible evidence. "

Wiki the bible ?

Anymore and I’ll turn the fresh water tap off

Could England manage by itself?

liverpool

Speak for yourself

"Could England manage by itself? "

doubtful under the current government.

"Could England manage by itself?

doubtful under the current government."

Your military saying it can't defend the homeland.

against what?

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

Your military saying it can't defend the homeland."

Oh. I think we can.

The US can’t even defend congress

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Its not the size of the dog in the fight its the size of the fight in the dog that counts.

The US can’t even defend congress "

Wasn't their job now was it. Fact check it was DC Police that failed. But the Military did defend the inauguration. Silly you

Your military saying it can't defend the homeland.Its not the size of the dog in the fight its the size of the fight in the dog that counts. "

And we have a Bulldog

Your military saying it can't defend the homeland.Its not the size of the dog in the fight its the size of the fight in the dog that counts.

And we have a Bulldog "

"The US can’t even defend congress "

it turns out the military were the ones doing the attacking.

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

I would have thought America would know better than anyone not to underestimate a smaller opponent

I would have thought America would know better than anyone not to underestimate a smaller opponent"

Lessons learned applies to new wars. Adapt. It's called asymmetrical now your military has to adapt to that. Since it's going to be on constant defense posture. What happens if argentina decides to have another go at the Falklands. They might take it this time around.

[Removed by poster at 30/01/21 17:19:20]

Removed my comment as simply being too jingoistic and warmongering.

We really all do need to stop thinking like Cowboys and Indians.

My gang is bigger than your gang.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"Could England manage by itself? "

Could Scotland?

"What happens if argentina decides to have another go at the Falklands. They might take it this time around."

let them have it.

liverpool

I would have thought America would know better than anyone not to underestimate a smaller opponent"

Oooff

near ipswich

I would have thought America would know better than anyone not to underestimate a smaller opponent

Lessons learned applies to new wars. Adapt. It's called asymmetrical now your military has to adapt to that. Since it's going to be on constant defense posture. What happens if argentina decides to have another go at the Falklands. They might take it this time around."

no chance we now have typhoons a ground to air defence system unlike before when there was just 68 marines and 11 sailors.

Did you know that the Falklands have Macaroni Penguins?

Who knew lol.

near ipswich

"Did you know that the Falklands have Macaroni Penguins?

Who knew lol."

Really hard to get the wrappers of those ones.

Who knew lol.Really hard to get the wrappers of those ones. "

lol

Lessons learned applies to new wars. Adapt. It's called asymmetrical now your military has to adapt to that. Since it's going to be on constant defense posture. What happens if argentina decides to have another go at the Falklands. They might take it this time around.no chance we now have typhoons a ground to air defence system unlike before when there was just 68 marines and 11 sailors. "

You are correct just looked up defense for Falklands vs Argentina. Argentina lacks the troop transports to get there to outnumber the defenders.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Who knew lol.Really hard to get the wrappers of those ones.

lol"

Did you know Edinburgh was the first zoo in the world to breed Macaroni penguins...

near ipswich

Lessons learned applies to new wars. Adapt. It's called asymmetrical now your military has to adapt to that. Since it's going to be on constant defense posture. What happens if argentina decides to have another go at the Falklands. They might take it this time around.no chance we now have typhoons a ground to air defence system unlike before when there was just 68 marines and 11 sailors.

You are correct just looked up defense for Falklands vs Argentina. Argentina lacks the troop transports to get there to outnumber the defenders."

Tell them we have a sub down there and they wont leave port.

lol

Did you know Edinburgh was the first zoo in the world to breed Macaroni penguins...

"

The mind boggles lol. I have to say that I didn't know what a macaroni penguin was until 20mins ago.

near ipswich

lol

The mind boggles lol. I have to say that I didn't know what a macaroni penguin was until 20mins ago. "

Every day is a school day.

lol

The mind boggles lol. I have to say that I didn't know what a macaroni penguin was until 20mins ago. Every day is a school day. "

Accept every experience great or small with gratitude and some small sense of shame lol.

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

the argument for a union is similar to that of scotland, better as a union. Why some scots think english people love west minster more than them i cant imagine!

Of course england could unite with france, against wles and scotland, go back to being grande britannia, doesnt it come from being part of greater brittany? i aint checked but think it does. so ties are there!

Unity

here

Talking of a union, or alliance if you will, there is of course the “Auld alliance” an alliance made in 1295 between the kingdoms of Scotland and France for the purpose of controlling England's invasions...

Hence the reason Mary, Queen of Scotland and France, was superior to Elizabeth, Queen of England and Ireland. And the many French words in Scots.

[Removed by poster at 30/01/21 19:36:25]

Scots words derived from the French language = 240.

English words derived from the French language = more than 10 thousand.

C'est un fait.

here

"Scots words derived from the French language = 240.

C'est un fait. "

dinna fash yersel

Notts

"Scots words derived from the French language = 240.

C'est un fait. "

exact a mon..... lol so thats all sorted then

milton keynes

"Hence the reason Mary, Queen of Scotland and France, was superior to Elizabeth, Queen of England and Ireland. And the many French words in Scots."

Was she not beheaded during Elizabeth's reign

here

"Hence the reason Mary, Queen of Scotland and France, was superior to Elizabeth, Queen of England and Ireland. And the many French words in Scots.

Was she not beheaded during Elizabeth's reign"

“ In manus tuas, Domine, commendo spiritum meum”

milton keynes

"Hence the reason Mary, Queen of Scotland and France, was superior to Elizabeth, Queen of England and Ireland. And the many French words in Scots.

“ In manus tuas, Domine, commendo spiritum meum”

"

Amen

Was she not beheaded during Elizabeth's reign"

The point being she was executed by a technically lesser queen. Such is history.

Scots is also full of Dutch and Scandinavian words too, as is English. The UK is such a mixture of foreigners - everybody has an immigrant as a relative.

Notts

"Talking of a union, or alliance if you will, there is of course the “Auld alliance” an alliance made in 1295 between the kingdoms of Scotland and France for the purpose of controlling England's invasions...

"

can i be the meat in the french scot sandwich? sorry ive lowered the tone!

here

The point being she was executed by a technically lesser queen. Such is history.

Scots is also full of Dutch and Scandinavian words too, as is English. The UK is such a mixture of foreigners - everybody has an immigrant as a relative."

And German

kirk - kirche

here

"Talking of a union, or alliance if you will, there is of course the “Auld alliance” an alliance made in 1295 between the kingdoms of Scotland and France for the purpose of controlling England's invasions...

can i be the meat in the french scot sandwich? sorry ive lowered the tone! "

How about an ashet pie - a traditional Scottish plate pie which only has pastry on top (from the French word assiette -plate)

Notts

Allowance – from the Old French word alouance (payment)

Apostrophe – from the French word apostrophe

Attaché – from the French word attaché (attached)

Apéritif – from the French word apéritif

Avant-garde – from the French word avant-garde

Aviation – from the French word aviation

Bachelor – from the Anglo-Norman word bacheler (bachelier in modern French)

Baguette – from the French word baguette (stick)

Ballet – from the French word ballet

Beret – from the French word béret

Bon voyage – from the French phrase bon voyage (have a good journey)

Brunette – from the French word brunette

Bureau – from the French word bureau (desk, office)

Cabaret – from the French word cabaret

Cadet – from the French word _adet

Champagne – from the French word champagne

Chauffeur – from the French word chauffeur

Chic – from the French word chic (elegant)

Cliché – from the French word cliché

Connoisseur – from the French word connoisseur

Cul-de-sac – from the French word cul-de-sac (bottom of the bag/sack)

Debris – from the French word débris (broken, crumbled)

Déjà vu – from the French words déjà (already) and vu (seen – past participle of ‘voir’)

Delegate – from the Old French word delegat

Detour – from the French word détour (from détourner)

Dossier – from the French word dossier

Eau de toilette – from the French word eau de toilette

Elite – from the Old French word elit (chosen)

Energy – from the Middle French word énergie

En route – from the French en route

Envisage – from the French word envisager

Expatriate – from the French word expatrier

Facade – from the French word façade

Faux, as in faux fur – from the French word faux (false)

Faux-pas – from the French word faux pas

Fiancé – from the French word fiancé

Film noir – from the French word film noir (a film genre)

Gallery – from the Old French word galerie

Gastronomy – from the French word gastronomie

Gateau – from the French word gâteau

Gazette – from the French word gazette

Heritage – from the Old French word eritage (héritage in modern French)

Homage – from the Old French word homage

Hotel – from the French word hôtel

Identity – from the Middle French word identité

Illusion – from the Old French word illusion

Insult – from the Middle French words insult (noun) and insulter (verb)

Irony – from the Middle French word ironie

Jubilee – from the Middle French word jubile (modern French jubilé)

Kilogram – from the French word kilogramme

Lacrosse – from the Canadian French word la crosse (the stick)

Laissez-faire – from the French word laissez-faire (leave things to take their course)

Liaison – from the French word liaison

Literature – from the Old French word littérature

Machine – from the Middle French word machine

Magnificent – from the Middle French word magnificent

Maisonette – from the French word maisonette

Massage – from the French word massage

Menu – from the French word menu

Metabolism – from the French word métabolisme

Metro – from the French word métro

Musketeer – from the French word mousquetaire

Navy – from the Old French word navie

Neutral – from the Middle French word neutral

Nocturnal – from the Middle French word nocturnal

Novel – from the Old French word novel

Occasion – from the Middle French word occasion

Omelette – from the French word omelette

Optimism – from the French word optimisme

Papier-mâché – from the French word papier-mâché

Parasol – from the French word parasol

Poetic – from the Middle French word poétique

Premiere – from the French word première

Purify – from the Old French word purifier

Recipient – from the Middle French word récipient

Rendez-vous – from the French word rendez-vous (appointment)

Reservoir – from the French word ‘réservoir’ (collection place)

Restaurant – from the French word restaurant

Ricochet – from the French word ricochet

Rich – from the French word riche

Ridicule – from the French word ridicule

Risqué – from the French word risqué

Sabotage – from the French word sabotage

Salad – from the French word salade

Sentiment – from the Old French word sentement

Silhouette – from the French word silhouette

Solicitor – from the Middle French word soliciteur

Souvenir – from the French word souvenir (memory)

Soufflé – from the French word soufflé

Soup – from the French word soupe

Technique – from the French word technique

Television – from the French word télévision

Tournament – from the Old French word tornoiement (tournoiement in modern French)

Uniform – from the Middle French word uniforme

Utensil – from the Old French word utensile

Valid – from the Middle French word valide

Variety – from the Middle French word varieté

Vinaigrette – from the French word vinaigrette

Zest – from the French word zeste

damn those flashy french peacocks lol this list misses out key words like sabre foil and another sword word that has escaped me but on guard!

Gee, that’s a lot of typing....

Was it not Melvin Bragg who wrote that many of English’s words for war were french? In Scots they are every day ones generally and interesting words brought back from soldiering in Scandinavia lol. Many Dutch words too, of the countryside and commerce, from trading routes to the Low Countries. In fact Friesian can be understood by Scots speakers.

‘Kirk’ is pretty universal all over the Nordic countries

Very true.

But brexiteers think we are still in the days of the empire.No brexiteers do not think that you are full of crap"

just a Troll

By *L RogueMan  over a year ago

London

But brexiteers think we are still in the days of the empire.No brexiteers do not think that you are full of crap

just a Troll"

Pretty much...

here

“Friesian” you say..... that would be a hairy coo

Not that hairy lol but from Friesland, where the speak Friesian

Ah, Frisian

here

[Removed by poster at 30/01/21 23:00:16]

Notts

"Ah, Frisian"

a few letters make a difference and rapier was the other sword, it just came to me!

liverpool

But brexiteers think we are still in the days of the empire.No brexiteers do not think that you are full of crap

just a Troll"

Lols

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Going it alone, one country has done that already, its sandwiched between south korea and china.

It also has a fat leader also. Coincidence?

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Also if you want to get start using “night soil” to grow your crops better start now with that thinking.

milton keynes

"Allowance – from the Old French word alouance (payment)

Déjà vu – from the French words déjà (already) and vu (seen – past participle of ‘voir’)

Laissez-faire – from the French word laissez-faire (leave things to take their course)

Tournament – from the Old French word tornoiement (tournoiement in modern French)

damn those flashy french peacocks lol this list misses out key words like sabre foil and another sword word that has escaped me but on guard! "

Did the Norman conquest contribute to some of these

Notts

damn those flashy french peacocks lol this list misses out key words like sabre foil and another sword word that has escaped me but on guard!

Did the Norman conquest contribute to some of these"

think it was mainly people off the ferry lol sorry, im sure it happens over centuries people moving back and forth, think our week days are due to vikings, someone out there is a lot smarter than me, and i think quite a bit is supposition anyway with academics arguing who has the right version. But all those pirates sailing out of cornwall and their frenchie counter parts? who knows?!

milton keynes

Did the Norman conquest contribute to some of these

think it was mainly people off the ferry lol sorry, im sure it happens over centuries people moving back and forth, think our week days are due to vikings, someone out there is a lot smarter than me, and i think quite a bit is supposition anyway with academics arguing who has the right version. But all those pirates sailing out of cornwall and their frenchie counter parts? who knows?! "

Yes pretty sure the Norman conquest accounts for most of it centuries ago. Some days of the week names are pagan words I think

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

...much like the EU has been doing so far really! I don’t like being governed by the English. It is a major step down from the EU. If the alternative is a break up, then so be it. I wouldn’t be surprisedif parts of England don’t do something similar.

Notts

Mps in west minister can be any nationality, so how are the english running everything?

Chudleigh

"Mps in west minister can be any nationality, so how are the english running everything?

"

Have a look at where the Tory Party comes from...

...much like the EU has been doing so far really! I don’t like being governed by the English. It is a major step down from the EU. If the alternative is a break up, then so be it. I wouldn’t be surprisedif parts of England don’t do something similar."

So you were being governed by the EU?

Notts

"Mps in west minister can be any nationality, so how are the english running everything?

Have a look at where the Tory Party comes from... "

they were voted in, sorry democracy is only ok if you get what you want? like no english mps? coz that would be fair lol your statement is plain racist against english people.

Chudleigh

they were voted in, sorry democracy is only ok if you get what you want? like no english mps? coz that would be fair lol your statement is plain racist against english people. "

Quick answer bollox. Britain is a 4 Country Nation governed from Westminster. The Tory’s have 14/40 in Wales, 6/59 in Scotland, 0/18 in Northern Ireland and 345/533 in England. Explain how any of the issues in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland gain any visibility? The Tory’s govern for themselves first, for their backers 2nd, for England 3rd and the rest get the scraps.

Please look up what racism actually means by the way

Ah, the racist card. Oh dear.

Notts

they were voted in, sorry democracy is only ok if you get what you want? like no english mps? coz that would be fair lol your statement is plain racist against english people.

Quick answer bollox. Britain is a 4 Country Nation governed from Westminster. The Tory’s have 14/40 in Wales, 6/59 in Scotland, 0/18 in Northern Ireland and 345/533 in England. Explain how any of the issues in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland gain any visibility? The Tory’s govern for themselves first, for their backers 2nd, for England 3rd and the rest get the scraps.

Please look up what racism actually means by the way "

yes bollox is always a valid argument lol

and you are changing tact, you didnt want english people running everything, i might not want a welsh mp, but if they get voted in ive got them, thats how democracy works, and the race card works for all races! Thank you thank you, ill take the bow, and id like to thank the queen, my old school teacher mrs butterkiss and brown owl

Chudleigh

and you are changing tact, you didnt want english people running everything, i might not want a welsh mp, but if they get voted in ive got them, thats how democracy works, and the race card works for all races! Thank you thank you, ill take the bow, and id like to thank the queen, my old school teacher mrs butterkiss and brown owl "

Let me spell it out with small words. English MPs are setting the agenda for the UK, but are ignoring the needs of the other countries in the UK. Would you like me to call them England MPs? An MP in England is by definition English - he, she or they could have been a different Nationality, but they are still English MPs! You should have listened in the English lessons...

Notts

and you are changing tact, you didnt want english people running everything, i might not want a welsh mp, but if they get voted in ive got them, thats how democracy works, and the race card works for all races! Thank you thank you, ill take the bow, and id like to thank the queen, my old school teacher mrs butterkiss and brown owl

Let me spell it out with small words. English MPs are setting the agenda for the UK, but are ignoring the needs of the other countries in the UK. Would you like me to call them England MPs? An MP in England is by definition English - he, she or they could have been a different Nationality, but they are still English MPs! You should have listened in the English lessons... "

read the thread, i asked you why are the english running everything? that westminster had various nationalities..you said have a look at where torys come from.... NOW your saying different, but now your saying you meant the mps at west minister who make the rules for the whole of UK are english mps because there in the english parliment lol Let me use small words, yes the UNION has a CENTRAL government that is VOTED for by everyone in the UNION! England is the only part of the union that doesnt have its own Parliament just for the english. And youre still bitching! lol

Chudleigh

Let me spell it out with small words. English MPs are setting the agenda for the UK, but are ignoring the needs of the other countries in the UK. Would you like me to call them England MPs? An MP in England is by definition English - he, she or they could have been a different Nationality, but they are still English MPs! You should have listened in the English lessons...

read the thread, i asked you why are the english running everything? that westminster had various nationalities..you said have a look at where torys come from.... NOW your saying different, but now your saying you meant the mps at west minister who make the rules for the whole of UK are english mps because there in the english parliment lol Let me use small words, yes the UNION has a CENTRAL government that is VOTED for by everyone in the UNION! England is the only part of the union that doesnt have its own Parliament just for the english. And youre still bitching! lol "

Sadly your teacher didn’t make a difference...

they were voted in, sorry democracy is only ok if you get what you want? like no english mps? coz that would be fair lol your statement is plain racist against english people. "

Just out of interest, what race are the English people ?

You’d be good at cooking with that ladle....

By *mmaNandyCouple  over a year ago

West mids / woking

England won’t let it happen end of. Too much money in North Sea oil to let Scotland have independence

London

sorry, what?

Notts

read the thread, i asked you why are the english running everything? that westminster had various nationalities..you said have a look at where torys come from.... NOW your saying different, but now your saying you meant the mps at west minister who make the rules for the whole of UK are english mps because there in the english parliment lol Let me use small words, yes the UNION has a CENTRAL government that is VOTED for by everyone in the UNION! England is the only part of the union that doesnt have its own Parliament just for the english. And youre still bitching! lol

Sadly your teacher didn’t make a difference... "

sadly you cant accept your wrong lol another drum banger

Notts

Just out of interest, what race are the English people ? "

similar to scottish and welsh people but english, you do live in the uk lol

westerham

Please look up what racism actually means by the way "

And how's the devolved Welsh NHS working out for you?

Just out of interest, what race are the English people ?

similar to scottish and welsh people but english, you do live in the uk lol "

You have a very mixed up understanding of what race is. So.....English born Japanese (for example) are the same race as everybody else in England? Do you even know what ‘race’ means? That’s rhetorical by the way.

Notts

Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

i.e tories are all english and therefore wankers lol(ok ive summarized posts!) which may or may not be true but it still fits the above dictionary definition.

Its also got boring.

Define race, not racial discrimination

Notts

check the dictionary, recognized grouping...

but if english isnt a race of people, ask the other posters why they are complaining about being ruled by them? makes their post even more bizarre lol

personally i want priti patel to be incharge of me, her and nicola! lol

Chudleigh

"check the dictionary, recognized grouping...

but if english isnt a race of people, ask the other posters why they are complaining about being ruled by them? makes their post even more bizarre lol

personally i want priti patel to be incharge of me, her and nicola! lol "

As you would knowif you were educated, my use of the term English referenced the geography. I could not use England, as it refered to individuals and not a landmass. Itis perfectly reasonable to question why Britain should be governed by the English - when the Tory majority reside in England.

I blame the education system

Of course Proportional Representation would be much more equitable, but that may be too much for you to follow...

Notts

...much like the EU has been doing so far really! I don’t like being governed by the English. It is a major step down from the EU. If the alternative is a break up, then so be it. I wouldn’t be surprisedif parts of England don’t do something similar."

heres your first post, check back up the thread.... discussions with english people, not discussions with people living in england, its you who needs to educate yourself! if you meant the opposite which is now what you claim lol enough said

Chudleigh

...much like the EU has been doing so far really! I don’t like being governed by the English. It is a major step down from the EU. If the alternative is a break up, then so be it. I wouldn’t be surprisedif parts of England don’t do something similar.

heres your first post, check back up the thread.... discussions with english people, not discussions with people living in england, its you who needs to educate yourself! if you meant the opposite which is now what you claim lol enough said "

This was my first post in this thread:

I did not mention “the New Empire”.

As you can see I reference being governed by the English. The Government is Tory, it is predominantly made up of MPs elected in English Constituency’s - it does not represent Wales, Scotland, NI & large parts of England.

Westminster has become the de facto English Parliament. It is the same as Labour running the Senedd and the SNP running the Scottish Parliament.

Notts

heres your first post, check back up the thread.... discussions with english people, not discussions with people living in england, its you who needs to educate yourself! if you meant the opposite which is now what you claim lol enough said

This was my first post in this thread:

I did not mention “the New Empire”.

As you can see I reference being governed by the English. The Government is Tory, it is predominantly made up of MPs elected in English Constituency’s - it does not represent Wales, Scotland, NI & large parts of England.

Westminster has become the de facto English Parliament. It is the same as Labour running the Senedd and the SNP

running the Scottish Parliament. "

you dont like being governed by the english? that is a race of people

i dont like being governed by englands elected mps is a different statement!

im not sure what nationality all the tory mps are but there are plenty of scots and welsh living here who do run/have run for the posts, are you saying wales can only be governed by welsh people?

Notts

in fact i dont are what you think anymore!

Chudleigh

"in fact i dont are what you think anymore! "

I don’t think I ‘are’ what you think anymore either. You have just tried to be a pedant and turned out to be pretty poor at it

Notts

and one more time class

you dont like being governed by englands elected mps, this is a different statement!

can anyone see why

Chudleigh

"and one more time class

you dont like being governed by englands elected mps, this is a different statement!

can anyone see why "

Why are you thinking the English are a race? “They” are a geographical location that has changed very often over the past 2,000 years. They are not a race

Ok, let’s make it very simple. You cannot play the racist card to people of the same race. The English you are referring to are white Caucasians. However in reality the population of the UK is an ethnically diverse bunch so it makes it even more stupid to suggest that a country is all Caucasian which it would need to be if you were suggesting that the other poster had been racist.

milton keynes

"and one more time class

can anyone see why

Why are you thinking the English are a race? “They” are a geographical location that has changed very often over the past 2,000 years. They are not a race "

Don't you mean England is a geographical location instead of English?

here

"and one more time class

can anyone see why

Why are you thinking the English are a race? “They” are a geographical location that has changed very often over the past 2,000 years. They are not a race

Don't you mean England is a geographical location instead of English?"

And scotch is a drink or a pie

Chudleigh

"and one more time class

can anyone see why

Don't you mean England is a geographical location instead of English?"

& England is not a clearly defined area, it has changed many times. Indeed the population has changed many times. Which is the funniest bit about nationalism - none of them ever read history books

London

[Removed by poster at 03/02/21 01:47:46]

London

There is no racism here. There is a debate to how effective our politics is but there's no racism.

By *armandwet50Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Do you see Westminster and the government being made up of only English men and women?

By *ax777Man  over a year ago

Not here

"and one more time class

can anyone see why

& England is not a clearly defined area, it has changed many times. Indeed the population has changed many times. Which is the funniest bit about nationalism - none of them ever read history books "

England is a clearly defined area and has been since the 10th century. The boundaries of the shires that were established in the 10th century lasted a thousand years until The Local Government Act 1972.

"and one more time class

can anyone see why

& England is not a clearly defined area, it has changed many times. Indeed the population has changed many times. Which is the funniest bit about nationalism - none of them ever read history books "

Really?

It's currently well definitely and yes its borders (which demonstrates it's well defined) have changed (which again shows it was defined in the past). Population can change like borders but still maintain its nationalism. If I go to another country and reside there, do I change it's nationalism because I've moved there as a different citizen? No I don't change its nationalism. I may have an impact on its culture depending upon my extent of integration though.

Chudleigh

"and one more time class

can anyone see why

& England is not a clearly defined area, it has changed many times. Indeed the population has changed many times. Which is the funniest bit about nationalism - none of them ever read history books

England is a clearly defined area and has been since the 10th century. The boundaries of the shires that were established in the 10th century lasted a thousand years until The Local Government Act 1972."

Just to add a bit of accuracy, 500 years not 1,000.

Scotland

The Border was not set in stone – literally, with border stones – until the Treaty of York in 1237 which ensured that Northumberland and Cumberland were part of King Henry II’s England, while Alexander II, King of Scots, was content to hold on to Berwick-upon-T and what became the "Debateable Lands" north of Carlisle.

Berwick went to England in 1482 by right of conquest, but the Debateable Lands were only divided along Scots Dike in 1552, from when the Border has not changed.

Wales

The modern boundary was fixed in 1536, when the former marcher lordships which occupied the border area were abolished and new county boundaries were created.

The administrative boundary of Wales was confirmed in the Local Government Act 1972. Whether Monmouthshire was part of Wales, or an English county treated for most purposes as though it were Welsh, was also settled by the 1972 Act, which included it in Wales.

So England as it currently stands was was no earlier than 1552 and possibly 1972 with Monmouthshire!

Well then- England as the modern entity was settled in 1972. 49 years ago..... could such a new country survive in its own?

Chudleigh

"Well then- England as the modern entity was settled in 1972. 49 years ago..... could such a new country survive in its own? "

I’m sadly starting to wish it would try...

Not here

"and one more time class

can anyone see why

England is a clearly defined area and has been since the 10th century. The boundaries of the shires that were established in the 10th century lasted a thousand years until The Local Government Act 1972.

Just to add a bit of accuracy, 500 years not 1,000.

Scotland

The Border was not set in stone – literally, with border stones – until the Treaty of York in 1237 which ensured that Northumberland and Cumberland were part of King Henry II’s England, while Alexander II, King of Scots, was content to hold on to Berwick-upon-T and what became the "Debateable Lands" north of Carlisle.

Berwick went to England in 1482 by right of conquest, but the Debateable Lands were only divided along Scots Dike in 1552, from when the Border has not changed.

Wales

The modern boundary was fixed in 1536, when the former marcher lordships which occupied the border area were abolished and new county boundaries were created.

The administrative boundary of Wales was confirmed in the Local Government Act 1972. Whether Monmouthshire was part of Wales, or an English county treated for most purposes as though it were Welsh, was also settled by the 1972 Act, which included it in Wales.

So England as it currently stands was was no earlier than 1552 and possibly 1972 with Monmouthshire!

"

Those changes were minimal. England as it stands now is pretty much the same as when it was unified in 10th century.

Doesn’t really matter if they were minimal- that’s arrogance. It is a fact that the borders of England were settled 49 years ago. It is what it is.

Not here

"Doesn’t really matter if they were minimal- that’s arrogance. It is a fact that the borders of England were settled 49 years ago. It is what it is."

There’s no arrogance whatsoever. 99 point whatever % of what now constitutes England was established in the 10th century.

Changes to borders happen continuously.

Not in a First world country they usually don’t unless by war. Which borders do Poland, Germany, Russia et al use? Not that England is a country in this context.

It is as it is- the borders that were laid down in 1972 are the borders that are England now. In 1971, the border was different. It’s a fact and since there are only two borders and both have been altered, the date you quote is nearly a thousand years out of date.

In fact, at a guess I’d suspect the borders are about 30-40% altered.

Not here

"Not in a First world country they usually don’t unless by war. Which borders do Poland, Germany, Russia et al use? Not that England is a country in this context.

It is as it is- the borders that were laid down in 1972 are the borders that are England now. In 1971, the border was different. It’s a fact and since there are only two borders and both have been altered, the date you quote is nearly a thousand years out of date."

Ok, for the pedants, England as we know it was established in the late 10 century. There have been some minor changes to the Scottish and Welsh borders since that time.

I’d rather deal with facts, which are never pedantic lol. I’d advise you just suck it up and learn the history of your own country

Not here

"I’d rather deal with facts, which are never pedantic lol. I’d advise you just suck it up and learn the history of your own country "

I know the history of my own country and have clearly stated the facts. If you wish to be a pedant and nit pick, fill your boots!

Lol you are just wrong on all counts there, mate. History, facts and maths- quite a selection lol.

Bless

Not here

"Lol you are just wrong on all counts there, mate. History, facts and maths- quite a selection lol.

Bless "

Ok, so tell me what is wrong, historically, factually and mathematically with the following statement?

England as we know it was established in the late 10 century. There have been some minor changes to the Scottish and Welsh borders since that time.

By *ornyone30Man  over a year ago

ABERDEEN

Please England, do it, just do it. Leave us alone you are nothing but an abusive partner and i use the term partner very loosely. Disclaimer- im not directing this at english people.

Notts

"Please England, do it, just do it. Leave us alone you are nothing but an abusive partner and i use the term partner very loosely. Disclaimer- im not directing this at english people. "

you're talking to a lump of land? on a website?

here

"Please England, do it, just do it. Leave us alone you are nothing but an abusive partner and i use the term partner very loosely. Disclaimer- im not directing this at english people. "

Hmmmm ... isn’t there something about Aberdeen City Council asking to bypass having to deal with Scottish SNP government and deal direct with Westminster for funding of covid support ?

Why is Scottish Government sitting on 500,000 vaccines? Shouldn’t they be getting in to the arms of Scots folk instead of sitting in a warehouse.... don’t worry, I think the cavalry is on its way

Notts

[Removed by poster at 03/02/21 15:21:28]

ABERDEEN

"Please England, do it, just do it. Leave us alone you are nothing but an abusive partner and i use the term partner very loosely. Disclaimer- im not directing this at english people.

you're talking to a lump of land? on a website? "

The westminster system smart ass

Notts

"Please England, do it, just do it. Leave us alone you are nothing but an abusive partner and i use the term partner very loosely. Disclaimer- im not directing this at english people.

The westminster system smart ass "

too late now, ive just heard england the land mass has ripped itself away and now nicola has total Independence as she drifts towards iceland, who are preparing gun boats for her arrival lol

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

too late now, ive just heard england the land mass has ripped itself away and now nicola has total Independence as she drifts towards iceland, who are preparing gun boats for her arrival lol "

that’s great news about time lol

ABERDEEN

too late now, ive just heard england the land mass has ripped itself away and now nicola has total Independence as she drifts towards iceland, who are preparing gun boats for her arrival lol "

Im off to put a bit of Rod Stewart on....we are sailing

milton keynes

Not sure we will ever be given the chance to make that happen for you but never say never

» Add a new message to this topic