FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Suspended coffee...

Suspended coffee...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

... or leaving a coffee hanging. Do any of you do this? I went into a Costa recently, bought a coffee and told the guy that I wanted to leave one hanging and he didn't have a clue what I was talking about. For those that don't know, it means you buy a coffee, pay for two and leave one "hanging" for a homeless person or similar to claim. It's really common back home, but most people I've spoken to in the UK haven't heard of it. Have you? Would you do this?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Never heard that expression, and a great idea.

It only irritates me, when people do such things and advertise their kindness to all and sundry for likes.

Random acts of kindness, quietly through the day. Nice gesture and I like that term you used.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

Merseyside

Yes it can be done here but we don't day 'hanging' .....

By *ighlander80884Man  over a year ago

Inverness

We call it a suspended coffee here in the UK I believe, but not all coffee places do it.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

"... or leaving a coffee hanging. Do any of you do this? I went into a Costa recently, bought a coffee and told the guy that I wanted to leave one hanging and he didn't have a clue what I was talking about. For those that don't know, it means you buy a coffee, pay for two and leave one "hanging" for a homeless person or similar to claim. It's really common back home, but most people I've spoken to in the UK haven't heard of it. Have you? Would you do this?"

Never heard of it, but great idea

Pay it forward?

By *uHorny1Man  over a year ago

Cannock

Myvdaughter told me she collects the stickers on Maccies coffee cups and keeps the full cards and gives them to homeless people where she is at uni.

She makes a point of asking people for their stickers

By *isaAndNicoleTransTV/TS  over a year ago

Southport / Ellesmere Port

I know Caffè Nero operates a suspended coffee system for the homeless, don't know about Costa and Starbucks but I guess they would to

chelmsford

"Myvdaughter told me she collects the stickers on Maccies coffee cups and keeps the full cards and gives them to homeless people where she is at uni.

She makes a point of asking people for their stickers"

Aah that's a lovely, thoughtful gesture

Well, I'm glad some of you have heard of it and I'm not the mad person that I think the Costa dude thought I was

"... or leaving a coffee hanging. Do any of you do this? I went into a Costa recently, bought a coffee and told the guy that I wanted to leave one hanging and he didn't have a clue what I was talking about. For those that don't know, it means you buy a coffee, pay for two and leave one "hanging" for a homeless person or similar to claim. It's really common back home, but most people I've spoken to in the UK haven't heard of it. Have you? Would you do this?"
yes i have but not many shops do it

chelmsford

"Well, I'm glad some of you have heard of it and I'm not the mad person that I think the Costa dude thought I was "

Haha

By *c1989Woman  over a year ago

Manchester

Great idea.

I've been thinking that I would like to do something similar having moved to manchester city centre.

I now walk past a great number of homeless people day and night. But I dont advocate giving them money and it is discouraged. My workplace also support various homelessness charities.

I would happily pay for an extra coffee or a meal deal if I knew someone in need can come along and take it

But as ever, it's open to abuse.

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

"Myvdaughter told me she collects the stickers on Maccies coffee cups and keeps the full cards and gives them to homeless people where she is at uni.

Yeah, most of my friendship group do this.

It means they can go in during the night and get a bit drink, use the facilities and get a warm as a 'paid customer'

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

It means they can go in during the night and get a bit drink, use the facilities and get a warm as a 'paid customer' "

Not thought of it like that as they're open late. That's my new year's resolution sorted

"Well, I'm glad some of you have heard of it and I'm not the mad person that I think the Costa dude thought I was

Haha "

I'm hijacking my own thread, but how is Molly cat doing?

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

Suspended coffee UK have a Facebook page you can refer coffee shops to if they want to look at starting a scheme.

chelmsford

"Well, I'm glad some of you have heard of it and I'm not the mad person that I think the Costa dude thought I was

Haha

I'm hijacking my own thread, but how is Molly cat doing?"

Aah she's so much better, thank you! 'everything ' is back to normal, but I have been told to give her the lexicom for 2 weeks. The Feliway is definitely working. Whether she becomes immune to this after a while, I don't know...happy cat mummy here x

Haha

I'm hijacking my own thread, but how is Molly cat doing?,

Aah she's so much better, thank you! 'everything ' is back to normal, but I have been told to give her the lexicom for 2 weeks. The Feliway is definitely working. Whether she becomes immune to this after a while, I don't know...happy cat mummy here x"

Very glad to hear it. They know how to worry us, don't they?

chelmsford

Haha

I'm hijacking my own thread, but how is Molly cat doing?,

Aah she's so much better, thank you! 'everything ' is back to normal, but I have been told to give her the lexicom for 2 weeks. The Feliway is definitely working. Whether she becomes immune to this after a while, I don't know...happy cat mummy here x

Very glad to hear it. They know how to worry us, don't they? "

They do, I was so worried it was something sinister

By *heHookyMonsterMan  over a year ago

Coventry

I'll sometimes stop and chat to a former Army Medic when I'm down in the Bath/Bristol area working. I'll usually grab us both a McDonald's and a coffee, sit down and tell each other shit stories, but it feels amazing. I'd implore more people to do it, even if you just drop a coffee to someone. The exhilaration of having done something simple to help another human being requires no fanfare, but leaves you feeling a worthy human being yourself.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Never heard of it.

"I'll sometimes stop and chat to a former Army Medic when I'm down in the Bath/Bristol area working. I'll usually grab us both a McDonald's and a coffee, sit down and tell each other shit stories, but it feels amazing. I'd implore more people to do it, even if you just drop a coffee to someone. The exhilaration of having done something simple to help another human being requires no fanfare, but leaves you feeling a worthy human being yourself. "

Good man

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

It means they can go in during the night and get a bit drink, use the facilities and get a warm as a 'paid customer'

Not thought of it like that as they're open late. That's my new year's resolution sorted "

When they do that monopoly thing, I get given all the little free food tokens and I hand them out as well

Coventry

"I'll sometimes stop and chat to a former Army Medic when I'm down in the Bath/Bristol area working. I'll usually grab us both a McDonald's and a coffee, sit down and tell each other shit stories, but it feels amazing. I'd implore more people to do it, even if you just drop a coffee to someone. The exhilaration of having done something simple to help another human being requires no fanfare, but leaves you feeling a worthy human being yourself.

Good man "

Ta buddy, but it's not about me. Knowing someone who's genuinely down on their luck, but who has in themselves done things for others who will never know and pass them by is a small thank you and an understated nod of appreciation that's deserved. The guy I'm talking about in particular served in Iraq and gave his best, so it's the least I can do. For me there's a fabulous sense of wellbeing, which is my reward.

By *uHorny1Man  over a year ago

Cannock

Not thought of it like that as they're open late. That's my new year's resolution sorted

When they do that monopoly thing, I get given all the little free food tokens and I hand them out as well "

That's a good idea

Coventry

When they do that monopoly thing, I get given all the little free food tokens and I hand them out as well

That's a good idea"

Superb!!!

Coventry

Think some areas refer to it as 'remaindered' too if my memory serves me correctly. It's a great and simple way to do something that makes you feel good about yourself too. It's not always about big gestures.

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

That's a lovely idea, the cynic in me would wonder if that extra coffee would actually go to a homeless person.

Not this but local to me there is an independent cafa that you buy a token and give it to a homeless person and they can use it in there and buy food or drink with it.

My neighbour does this and also when they do the monopoly thing and she or her kids get a food prize they hand them out to homeless people and big issue sellers.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

There's a local charity here which has collection points in various shops where you can leave breakfast packs, clothes etc. They organise groups of people to knit scarves and hats and go out every night distributing not food, clothes etc. They also keep an eye on people's health and are a point of contact for anyone concerned about a homeless person.

I don't think it's taken off here. I tend to buy Greggs gift vouchers to give to homeless so they can hey what they need when they want it

"Pay it forward?"

Yeah, thats what i'd have said it was. ??

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

For this to work and I think it's a great idea...wouldn't the homeless have to go into the shop to ask for a coffee? If so I can't see the coffee house thinking it's a great idea

By *orksRockerMan  over a year ago

Bradford

Was in McDonald's one winter morning some time ago with my ex. A homeless guy was on the table opposite us asleep. As we left we heard some employees talking about asking him to leave. So we bought him a full breakfast and woke him with it before we left. He was surprised but appreciative.

By *arl 50Man  over a year ago

Colnbrook

I have bought a homeless guy a coffee but literally handed it to him but really like that idea

By *arl 50Man  over a year ago

Colnbrook

"I don't think it's taken off here. I tend to buy Greggs gift vouchers to give to homeless so they can hey what they need when they want it "

"Was in McDonald's one winter morning some time ago with my ex. A homeless guy was on the table opposite us asleep. As we left we heard some employees talking about asking him to leave. So we bought him a full breakfast and woke him with it before we left. He was surprised but appreciative. "

That's such a shame. We went into McDonald's when we were moving house and noticed a homeless guy nursing a hot drink. We asked the staff if he has eaten and they said no he's there every morning and has just a hot drink so we ordered him a breakfast and drink but said we wanted it to remain anonymous. The manager came out and came over to our table and thanked us for our kindness as he said most people were annoyed that he was there

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

"Was in McDonald's one winter morning some time ago with my ex. A homeless guy was on the table opposite us asleep. As we left we heard some employees talking about asking him to leave. So we bought him a full breakfast and woke him with it before we left. He was surprised but appreciative. "

I really like that sentiment x

» Add a new message to this topic