FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Obscure films

Obscure films

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Have you seen any films this year that you have been impressed by, but hadn't really heard about prior to watching?

One that comes to mind is "The midnight meat train".

It's as fucked up as the title suggests, based on a clive barker horror story. It was made a few years ago, but I only saw it recently.

-Thought it was very well put together & well acted.

-Add your own suggestions

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Rumble fish

By *adetMan  over a year ago

Ipswich

Gentlemen Bronco's

Loved it but it's almost impossible to get hold of

Ipswich

Any Wes Andersen film is good too if you like something different

By *ourayloversCouple  over a year ago

chesterfield

The search for animal chin

Ray

..Yes, wes anderson, watched "the grand budapest hotel", thought that was excellent.(really original)

-These are all great suggestions.

Ipswich

"..Yes, wes anderson, watched "the grand budapest hotel", thought that was excellent.(really original)

-These are all great suggestions."

Grand Budapest is a brilliant romp of a movie

Guillermos Del Toros Pans Labyrinth is good too if you don't mind subtitles

I've got a hundred really original films I could recommend

Ipswich

Oh and if you like really bizarre and original animation check out the Studio Gimli films

They are a bit trippy but also the most original and different animation I've ever seen

Ipswich

"Oh and if you like really bizarre and original animation check out the Studio Gimli films

They are a bit trippy but also the most original and different animation I've ever seen"

*Studio Ghibli*

I watched the "red turtle"

i think that was produced by studio ghibli, but it was actually animated and made by a european team. (i think)

Thought the red turtle was astonishing. I'd prob put it in the top 10 films i've ever seen.

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

"Oh and if you like really bizarre and original animation check out the Studio Gimli films

They are a bit trippy but also the most original and different animation I've ever seen"

FACT in Liverpool quite often have a Ghibli season. I've seen Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle (probably my favourite so far), Spirited Away, The Cat Returns, My Neighbour Totoro and Ponyo there. I'm hoping to catch the others next time they're on, especially Princess Mononoke and Porco Rosso.

Ipswich

"I watched the "red turtle"

i think that was produced by studio ghibli, but it was actually animated and made by a european team. (i think)

Thought the red turtle was astonishing. I'd prob put it in the top 10 films i've ever seen."

I've not seen that one but will definitely look out for it

I love them for making films that are so original and like no other film you'll have ever seen before

The Handmaiden from 2016 and nothing to do with the recent series. Sexy plus addresses patriarchy.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4016934/

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

They are a bit trippy but also the most original and different animation I've ever seen

*Studio Ghibli*"

Spirited Away is still the best in our opinion.

We pretty much have them all in our collection.

Up on Poppy Hill is sweet but not at all trippy.

Into Ghibli to such an extent all our eldest daughter wanted for Xmas was Ghibli & Anime related. There’s worse things a twelve year old can be interested in.

S

Ipswich

*Studio Ghibli*

Into Ghibli to such an extent all our eldest daughter wanted for Xmas was Ghibli & Anime related. There’s worse things a twelve year old can be interested in.

S"

Spirited Away is my favourite too

Brilliantly original and thoroughly absorbing

Bookmarking

I watched a film called Anon last night that I just picked randomly and quite liked.

By *estless nativeMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Some of my favourite films of 2019 arent well known

One cut of the dead

The man who feels no pain

Woman at war

The public

The peanut butter falcon

Thunder road

Beats

The shiny shrimps

Is beats the black and white scottish film about the rave scene?

I saw that a few weeks ago.

By *atindollTV/TS  over a year ago

edinburgh

Wasnt made in 2019 but-man bites dog.

Man bites dog is fantastic

Another vote for Spirited Away

Into The Wild. I don't see many people talking about it. It's quite a good film. I think it's on Netflix.

Into the wild's great, I saw sean penn in a bar, in seattle when i was in the states (just after he made that film)

"Into the wild's great, I saw sean penn in a bar, in seattle when i was in the states (just after he made that film)"

I've heard he's a very unsociable person towards fans. Won't take photos or sign autographs. I know he's decked a few paparazzi before.

By *wholeLotOfRosieWoman  over a year ago

Pontypridd

The original Martyrs is excellent. It’s French or Belgian I think. Very disturbing.

Blood River is an American low budget film from a few years ago. Very dark and sinister.

By *ilsaGeorgeCouple  over a year ago

kent

"Some of my favourite films of 2019 arent well known

One cut of the dead

The man who feels no pain

Woman at war

The public

The peanut butter falcon

Thunder road

Beats

The shiny shrimps

"

One Cut Of The Dead is awesome!

I haven’t seen Thunder Road but I have seen the one-take short film it was developed from.

He was with what looked like bodyguards, or minders. He was just sitting at the next table, it was around the time his brother had just died too (the guy that was in reservoir dogs.)

If it was perhaps in a less crowded environment, i would have been inclined to start a polite conversation.

-He looked super pissed off & unapproachable.

kent

"Wasnt made in 2019 but-man bites dog."

I first saw Man Bites Dog when I was at Uni, maybe 20 years ago. What a great, bonkers movie! Around the same time I also watched another mad French film called Doberman, and also I think Haneke’s Funny Games. That was a such a good time for mad European movies.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai / Nottingham

"Rumble fish"

That’s a old film bad on a book by SE Hinton I think ? Same characters as in the outsiders and that was then

kent

"The original Martyrs is excellent. It’s French or Belgian I think. Very disturbing.

Blood River is an American low budget film from a few years ago. Very dark and sinister. "

Martyrs is French. You’re the only other person I’ve encountered who’s seen the original! I think it’s the most disturbing film I’ve ever seen. I found the ending extremely difficult to watch.

Glasgow

"Is beats the black and white scottish film about the rave scene?

I saw that a few weeks ago.

"

Yeah thats it

By *r1Mrs1Couple  over a year ago

Dublin

Fantastic Planet... early 70's animation movie... very strange yet very interesting!

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai / Nottingham

A couple of good ones I’ve seen over the hols..

Leave no trace

City of lost children

Glasgow

"

One Cut Of The Dead is awesome!

I haven’t seen Thunder Road but I have seen the one-take short film it was developed from. "

I think thunder road is on netflix now

Amazing that one cut has taken over $30m on a budget of $25k

"He was with what looked like bodyguards, or minders. He was just sitting at the next table, it was around the time his brother had just died too (the guy that was in reservoir dogs.)

If it was perhaps in a less crowded environment, i would have been inclined to start a polite conversation.

-He looked super pissed off & unapproachable."

I've often wondered about the etiquette of approaching a celebrity when they're in a public place. On the one hand it'd be cool to get a photo or autograph, on the other hand I wouldn't want to disturb them. I imagine it can get super fucking grating being asked for photos wherever you go.

"He was with what looked like bodyguards, or minders. He was just sitting at the next table, it was around the time his brother had just died too (the guy that was in reservoir dogs.)

I've often wondered about the etiquette of approaching a celebrity when they're in a public place. On the one hand it'd be cool to get a photo or autograph, on the other hand I wouldn't want to disturb them. I imagine it can get super fucking grating being asked for photos wherever you go. "

-Indeed.

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

I've often wondered about the etiquette of approaching a celebrity when they're in a public place. On the one hand it'd be cool to get a photo or autograph, on the other hand I wouldn't want to disturb them. I imagine it can get super fucking grating being asked for photos wherever you go.

-Indeed."

Many years ago My dad & myself saw John Le Mesurier on the tube & chatted to him about what he was in @ Dads Army he was a really nice guy & years later when the “Hattie” docudrama came out I was quite sad for the guy.

Also spent three hours in a theatre bar with Spike Milligan once too,, all I remember about that is my ribs & head hurting like fuck the next day.

S

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

We just watched The Man Who Invented Christmas, a fanciful telling of how Charles Dickens wrote A Christmas Carol. It was really fun.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"The stink of flesh" - possibly the only movie ever made that answers the question of just how do swingers get meets after the zombie apocalypse...

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"Wasnt made in 2019 but-man bites dog.

I first saw Man Bites Dog when I was at Uni, maybe 20 years ago. What a great, bonkers movie! Around the same time I also watched another mad French film called Doberman, and also I think Haneke’s Funny Games. That was a such a good time for mad European movies. "

Funny Games is the only movie i have ever walked out of. Not because of it being bad, but because of it being so immersively disturbing. The breaking the fourth wall stuff makes you, the audience, responsible for the awful things happening to the family. If you watch to the end you are complicit in the torture and murders. The only way to resolve the situation is to leave the cinema...

By *ecretpantyTV/TS  over a year ago

lisburn

By *wholeLotOfRosieWoman  over a year ago

Pontypridd

"The original Martyrs is excellent. It’s French or Belgian I think. Very disturbing.

Blood River is an American low budget film from a few years ago. Very dark and sinister.

Martyrs is French. You’re the only other person I’ve encountered who’s seen the original! I think it’s the most disturbing film I’ve ever seen. I found the ending extremely difficult to watch. "

Yup. Truly disturbing and brutal. And trust me on the other recommendation. I think you’ll appreciate it.

By *orksRockerMan  over a year ago

Bradford

Chef with John Favereau.

Was on Amazon Prime and really recommend.

La Tortue Rouge was an amazingly deep movie for an animated movie.

That one with the evil superkid was great

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

*Studio Ghibli*

S"

I do love studio Ghibli films, although I'd disagree that they're obscure.

After spirited away won an Oscar, their distributors were bought by Disney and all of their films were redubbed with Hollywood A listers, you can consider them major mainstream animators!

By *oss and SuzieCouple  over a year ago

Porthmadog

I've often wondered about the etiquette of approaching a celebrity when they're in a public place. On the one hand it'd be cool to get a photo or autograph, on the other hand I wouldn't want to disturb them. I imagine it can get super fucking grating being asked for photos wherever you go. "

My brother was a well known actor (before he died an alcoholic). He was always incredibly friendly to fans, even when he,was trying to have a quiet evening in the pub.

By *oss and SuzieCouple  over a year ago

Porthmadog

P.s. 'Deliverance' of course.

By *ubblegumandLimeCouple  over a year ago

Dublin

Oldboy, the Korean version. Spectacular movie, so well done albeit just mad!! Mrs x

Ah, didn't know disney bought the studio ghibli distributors out. Now they pretty much own most of mainstream cinema it seems.. with star wars, marvel (& i think disney have the highest stake in 20th century fox movies now)

Yes the korean oldboy is a powerhouse of a film. What I don't understand is the inevitable american remake of the foreign film, 6 months down the line. -They're never as good. The oldboy remake is a good example, it even had some good actors in it, but it was just a mess compared to the original korean version.

They think the public is allergic to reading subtitles or something.

I have seen the original maters and also some of the more disturbing films mentioned on here. For another really disturbing film try son of Saul. It it’s about the Holocaust.

Ironically though truly disturbing films don’t have to be explicit. What about the Wolf of Wall Street? Huge stuff about capitalism and how it distorts human nature. Another good film to explore patriarchy caused by capitalism.

Man bites dog has been quoted here and I have seen it and find it offensive. It’s not written to explore things, its written to celebrate the worst things in human nature.

A much better look at the worst parts of human nature in a non-celebratory way is of course a clockwork Orange.

A completely non-controversial film that is amazing is Victoria. It is the 2016 film. It is two hours 25 minutes and the entire film is filmed in one single shot.

By *dmundwilsonMan  over a year ago

Llandudno

I prefer future primitive.

"I have seen the original maters and also some of the more disturbing films mentioned on here. For another really disturbing film try son of Saul. It it’s about the Holocaust.

Ironically though truly disturbing films don’t have to be explicit. What about the Wolf of Wall Street? Huge stuff about capitalism and how it distorts human nature. Another good film to explore patriarchy caused by capitalism.

Man bites dog has been quoted here and I have seen it and find it offensive. It’s not written to explore things, its written to celebrate the worst things in human nature.

A much better look at the worst parts of human nature in a non-celebratory way is of course a clockwork Orange.

A completely non-controversial film that is amazing is Victoria. It is the 2016 film. It is two hours 25 minutes and the entire film is filmed in one single shot. "

Maters - typo

By *ourayloversCouple  over a year ago

chesterfield

"I prefer future primitive."

Ban this

Llandudno

for some craziness the two tetsuo films are nuts

iron man and body hammer.

best seen big and loaud

Llandudno

I liked wheels of fire and street of fire ....natas ripped

Llandudno

Your stills rather eyecatching too! Any sequentials?

I can see why man bites dog can be considered too much, I did like it, but it is very dark.

(From what i remember, the director that made it committed suicide about a year or 2 later.)

By *rozacMan  over a year ago

london

Blood River is an American low budget film from a few years ago. Very dark and sinister. "

The French original is amazing

Can also recommend (Thunder Road). Calling it my best film of 2019

By *ubblegumandLimeCouple  over a year ago

Dublin

"Ah, didn't know disney bought the studio ghibli distributors out. Now they pretty much own most of mainstream cinema it seems.. with star wars, marvel (& i think disney have the highest stake in 20th century fox movies now)

Yes the korean oldboy is a powerhouse of a film. What I don't understand is the inevitable american remake of the foreign film, 6 months down the line. -They're never as good. The oldboy remake is a good example, it even had some good actors in it, but it was just a mess compared to the original korean version.

They think the public is allergic to reading subtitles or something. "

Yes! I watched the American remake and just shook my head. Nowhere near as powerful. I felt they went too far with the original premise. Not to spoil it for anyone who might want to watch it but I'm sure you'll get what I mean by that. I know barely anyone who has seen the Korean version and it's just a shame. After two mins of being sucked into the storyline, you forget all about subtitles. Mrs x

I thought of a few more worth mentioning.

-"Upgrade" not that really obscure, but a good film nevertheless.

And, if you can find it "The suicide theory". An Australian film that I thought was very clever.

» Add a new message to this topic