FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > books

books

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I love to read.. and today got asked why don't I get a Kindle or something ...

Now I have an electronic reader...but I just don't find it the same.. And like the feel of the book.. turning the pages... Putting a book mark in etc..

So do you prefer to read a proper book... ?

Cali

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

got a kindle too hun but im with you much prefer the feel of a book xxx

I've not tried a kindle and to be honest i'm not actually in any rush to. I love the thrill (sad eh?) of opening a new book and i hate the hollow anti climax as you turn the last page and close the book. Would that be the same electronically? I doubt it.

The only advantage i can see is when going on holiday, several heavy books or one kindle?

I love to read but its got to be a proper book xx him xx

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I like both. Kindles are great for holidays and preventing wrist ache when its a door stopper, but I'm not going to start replacing all my books just because.

I load up my Kindle with the free and cheap stuff on Amazon and buy the proper books for the nice covers.

By *allieJWoman  over a year ago

East Lancashire

I got a Kindle last year, and I love it.

(I'm a librarian so should perhaps bang the drum for books)but Hey-Ho

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

i was really dubious about getting a kindle. ive had it about 5 weeks and have only read one proper book since. id be so lost without it now

Got a kindle as well, plus a room full of books.

They both have there place....Kindle for on the go, a book for a lazy bitch day in front of the fire

I have a kindle, so I walk around with around 300 books in my handbag, break for being on the move - and then I also have my collection of paperbacks, 400 and going strong, for comfort and scribbling notes in the margin when I am at home Best of both worlds.

Also kindle books are cheaper on average, second hand sales aside.

I always resisted the Kindle but after using one for the past few months I have to concede that it is a pretty cool toy. The fact it has native support for PDF files is a big bonus for me.

I've got a kindle, which I love because there never has to be a break in between books. Especially if you're reading a series or trilogy, you can finish one and then be dying to get onto the next and you can delve straight in without so much as a trip to the library/shop. Plus when you're tucked up in bed it's easier to turn the pages

"I always resisted the Kindle but after using one for the past few months I have to concede that it is a pretty cool toy. The fact it has native support for PDF files is a big bonus for me."

Dont forget rtf files as well

A book is the best use of space ever thought of

See I'm a total gadget freak.. yet find something is missing with the electronic readers... I like buying the books and putting them on my bookcase.. I love finding random books in a book sale...

I don't know what it is but I get bored reading on my reader... Yet love to just pick up a book.

Currently reading the last in the clan of the cave bear series.... And the game of thrones series and two old James herbet books...

I can see that if your going away it could be good... But I'd rather just pack two books.

Cali

I suppose I read kinda fast, and carrying around that many doorstops is a pain I still love my books - and I go book shopping regularly, but an e-book is perfect for those guilty pleasures that I don't want people to know that I'm reading.

I read fast too. Lol read harry potter the last book in a day. Lol

I see the uses I just don't find it as therapeutic as I do with an actual book...

Same as with letters.. I use email a lot.. but still prefer to write and receive hand written letters....

Cali

I have a kindle, had it a few years now, kev bought it me for Christmas, i always told him i didn't want one, that a gadget could not replace a book, as usual i got ignored lol He was sick of the amount of books i had and the space they took up.

I can honestly say its the best thing he as ever bought me, i read more now than i ever have before and believe me that's saying something lol

Don't get me wrong, on the odd occasion that my mum or sister but a book that i have not read and borrow it and do really enjoy it but i wouldn't be with out my kindle now it goes every where with me.

Kat x

What worries me is the future of books... There are books that are so old... What will happen in the future... Will we just stop using them altogether..

Thing is I can't see electronic books still being around centurys after they were written.

Bit deep that... But I do worry. Lol

It's like encyclopedias... I used to always use them.. I recently got a set for my kids.. there answer was.. why. I just Google it...

Cali

By *amschwingerzCouple  over a year ago

West

They both have their pro's and cons..

The Kindle is light, takes up less space, nice size adjustable readable fonts..books are a little cheaper..

But they are let down when it comes to photos and diagrams...they look awful, no back light, (then again, nor has a book) searching for other titles is really hard work as you cant stop at a certain part in the list...so you have to trawl through literally hundreds of the same pages all the time..

But I think they are certainly here to stay.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

What happens when you break, loose or have your E reader stolen?

I love my books, they fill a space on a wall and if I loose one I still have all my other ones....also I can lend books to others after I have finished them and still read my latest purchase.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I prefer books. I'm currently reading Frank Skinner by the man himself and it is very entertaining.

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"Currently reading the last in the clan of the cave bear series...."

God, you're brave!

"I can see that if your going away it could be good... But I'd rather just pack two books.

Cali "

Two?? I took 4 books with me to Greece last year and ran out 4 days into the hol. My Mum took 6 books and ran out. The Kindle is perfect for fast readers and, honestly, the firms making them aren't going to kick your door in and have a book bonfire. You can have both!

By *unterslickCouple  over a year ago

tullamore

"I love to read.. and today got asked why don't I get a Kindle or something ...

Now I have an electronic reader...but I just don't find it the same.. And like the feel of the book.. turning the pages... Putting a book mark in etc..

Cali "

tried the kindle and a few other ways,but still love the feel of a book in my hands,,even have subscribed to a few sites to have ease of access for pc problems on line,,and yet i still go in and buy them lol,,no subsitute for mags and books in your hand

"I got a Kindle last year, and I love it.

(I'm a librarian so should perhaps bang the drum for books)but Hey-Ho "

Never mind books v kindle, you're a librarian you say? Now THAT is with exploring further ...

Shhhhh!

No a kindle is not the same as holding a real book.

I have always carried a book around with me since childhood, I don't want to move away from that, this is one time when I don't want to turn to an electronic replacement

I use both. I much prefer a good book or paper but the kindle or tablet is convenient when stuck at a station or on holiday as you can have hundreds of journals at your finger tips.

What really bugs me is that an electronic subscription is more expensive than a paper one that has to be printed and deliverwd by hand. How can that be justified?

West

"I got a Kindle last year, and I love it.

(I'm a librarian so should perhaps bang the drum for books)but Hey-Ho "

Im a Virgo...are we compatable?

I can't concentrate long enough to read a book, I find I get to the end the page and haven't a clue what I've just read.

Recently the 'book club thread' here on FAB got me interested again but I have cheated, I now download the talking versions (after first previewing the narrator) and it's perfect for me I can be doing little jobs at the same time as listening. So I wouldn't buy a kindle....unless they introduce a talking one

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

I much prefer an actual book and will continue buying the books I want to keep and reread.

But the I have been travelling for work recently and the kindle is so much easier to carry. Although it's a pain on planes when electronic gadgets have to be switched off...

West

"I can't concentrate long enough to read a book, I find I get to the end the page and haven't a clue what I've just read.

Recently the 'book club thread' here on FAB got me interested again but I have cheated, I now download the talking versions (after first previewing the narrator) and it's perfect for me I can be doing little jobs at the same time as listening. So I wouldn't buy a kindle....unless they introduce a talking one "

The latest one plays audio Fia..

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I can't concentrate long enough to read a book, I find I get to the end the page and haven't a clue what I've just read.

Recently the 'book club thread' here on FAB got me interested again but I have cheated, I now download the talking versions (after first previewing the narrator) and it's perfect for me I can be doing little jobs at the same time as listening. So I wouldn't buy a kindle....unless they introduce a talking one

The latest one plays audio Fia.."

so do the first ones

By *parrow77Man  over a year ago

cheshire

I love books but also have loads on my iPad as I like to use it not only for reading but stuff for uni, PDFs and other stuff

But still like proper book too

Love my Kindle, especially when travelling, bought 5 novels last year on a 4 week solo bike ride woud have been impossible to fit them in the luggage as books, BUT absolutely usless for text books where you want to skip read and open to certain chapters etc.

"

The latest one plays audio Fia..so do the first ones"

They do?? Cool!

By *ewels74Woman  over a year ago

Dundee/Angus/Blackpool

I love my books but having been given a kindle for my christmas or birthday cant remember which i didnt start to use it proper till around 6 weeks back, and i have to say i still love hard copies of books but also for space i can download tons of books also at the same time on the Kindle, but as someone mentioned i love gettign books for the covers and also getting in the right frame of mind for the ending Currently downloaded the sample of George RR Martin and yeah getting the sample of the books gets me in the mood to get all of the series of the author i want as well and i have so many favourite authors and also brand new authors that i like getting to know and read....yeah im a super book addict and can have like 6 books on the go at a time hehe

I love the library am a big fan and currently reading American Phsyco. I also love book shops I love to browse and then I take my list into the library. Am I the only one with a book fetish as I love the smell off books.

for sure a proper book..

you can feel a book

and most of all smell the pages as you handle the book and turn the pages..

By *ewels74Woman  over a year ago

Dundee/Angus/Blackpool

I love going to Book Fairs when i get the chance and smelling the oldness of the books that are like first editions from the 1800s are like a good smell so know how you mean

I finally managed to update my Iphone and in doing so it deleted all my apps, decided that I really couldn't be bothered to reload kindle onto it again as I have loads of books if I am that interested in reading and at a size I can read too

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I will never "give up" books, but the amount i have is ridiculous, everytime i try to sort them out to give away i just cant do it. But i wasnt buying anywhere near as many as i did as i just have no room for them.

I guess when i have sorted them out there will be more space for me to buy more. BUT the very best thing for me is being able to change the font size on a kindle, i can now lie in bed without my glasses on and read. Didnt think id downloaded many books to it but looked and in 5 weeks i have 61 on it, im working my way through the free books at the moment and now im doing all of charles dickens.

"Currently reading the last in the clan of the cave bear series....

God, you're brave!

I can see that if your going away it could be good... But I'd rather just pack two books.

Cali

Two?? I took 4 books with me to Greece last year and ran out 4 days into the hol. My Mum took 6 books and ran out. The Kindle is perfect for fast readers and, honestly, the firms making them aren't going to kick your door in and have a book bonfire. You can have both!"

I think we must have different holidays as i don't get much time to read..

Cali

By *aceytopWoman  over a year ago

from a town near you

i love books,flirted with talking books once for in the car,but they dont read them fast enough for me,i can easily read a book a day

Cali "

always

i sit and look at a screen all day

that's enough

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I have an E-Reader, mine was originally bought for my uni work, I can download all my text books onto it, and mine also has highlight and annotate function on it, and can write notes in the margin and stuff, so it's great for that.

I still prefer books, I still read a book in bed before I go to sleep, and can still easily lose 3 hours wandering around Waterstones before leaving £50/60 lighter!

However, I download free and cheap books off the net onto the E-Reader, and all the classics are free too. So I have loads of books for holiday, and traveling that I do.

got be paper books.love reading when in having a bubble bath,if book get droped in the bath take few days to dry out but still can read it

By *all-Eddies QosCouple  over a year ago

wirral

Cali "

I love the smell of books and multiple uses they have.......never dream of throwing a kindle at a just closed door or use it as a weapon to kill spiders.

I have the cupboard under the stairs its like a walk in childrens library and I have my good books all Phillipa Gregory in my bedroom on book shelf but I have to say I love the library.

By *picMan  over a year ago

Petworth

After reading through this post im all for real books, i dont have a kindle and dont realy know the full ins and outs of here they work. I realise there are countless books you can download for free but like several people have said once you have read a real book you can pass it on to friends etc or take to a charity shops for someone else to read.

Can you pass on an e-book, kindle book to someone else? is the e-book a file you can transfer to someone elses kindle, ipad etc? i have no idea

I did read an article not to long ago that said people who have kindles now read on average three times more books than they did before having one. Personaly i like to hold a book, flick through and turn the pages, just like the daily newspaper which i also buy, its just not the same reading the newspaper online.

By *hyguy 43Man  over a year ago

Swansea

Cali "

For me you cant beat paper books xx

yes book for me every time.....!!

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

You can loan a kindle book to another kindle user. They get it for two weeks and you can't read it in that time. At the end of the two weeks it's back in your kindle again.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

i've been thinking of getting a kindle as i dont really read books more than once and have a bookshelf 2 deep in books but then i think i will miss actual books

just downloaded Wattpad for my phone which has free stories on it so will see how i get on with that before commiting i think

» Add a new message to this topic