FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Career choice help!

Career choice help!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *gnitemybody OP   Woman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

I'm looking for idea's if anyone can help please. A teenager who is due to leave school is totally undecided on their career path,well keeps changing their mind. All they know if that they would like to help people,but unsure which direction.

Does anyone work in any kind of field like this?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Youth groups or sport coaching?

By *ed-monkeyCouple  over a year ago

Hailsham

Police ... teaching ?

What age group? As care work is very rewarding. X

If they don't know yet, then I think the key is not to push them in any particular direction just yet. When they find their passion, then is the time to direct imho

"I'm looking for idea's if anyone can help please. A teenager who is due to leave school is totally undecided on their career path,well keeps changing their mind. All they know if that they would like to help people,but unsure which direction.

Does anyone work in any kind of field like this?"

If I was to choose my career again I’d go with teaching, hard work but I’m sure it’s well worth it!

By *hunky GentMan  over a year ago

near Peterborough

These are lots of choices from child care, to care for the elderly. People with special needs (sorry if that's no pc),

Depending on tlrheir academic level further education is an option (doctor of some kind), therapist - physical or mental.

Without knowing the person it difficult to advise more exact.

But best of luck. X

Will they be going to college age 16/18 or after college/6th form?

Social work. Loads of possibilities. Good path to go down.

By *intalentCouple  over a year ago

Carer..

Teacher Assistant, (depends on the age group they want to work with.

Mentor,

Support Worker,

I was the same at that age, did a range of different jobs, then qualified as a Counselor in 2007

By *typical guyMan  over a year ago

wigan

"If they don't know yet, then I think the key is not to push them in any particular direction just yet. When they find their passion, then is the time to direct imho "

This, 100%

Onestepoutofthedoor

They're starting to panic as most of the kid's,second year of 6th Form seem to know what direction to go in. At first it was physio work,then the Police,social work,but it would all depend on their A level results.

Preferably more apprentice than university route.

My best advice to them is probably go into something rewarding which also pays.

People are saying carer - salary is pretty poor, alongside poor career growth (not to knock carer’s as I personally couldn’t do it)

So you’ve got something along the lines of teaching, services (fire, police, paramedic) or they could follow the uni route & go into being a physio or counsellor.

That’d be my advice to them anyway.

Onestepoutofthedoor

"If they don't know yet, then I think the key is not to push them in any particular direction just yet. When they find their passion, then is the time to direct imho "

That's the thing they keep changing their mind and panic is creeping in a little.

"They're starting to panic as most of the kid's,second year of 6th Form seem to know what direction to go in. At first it was physio work,then the Police,social work,but it would all depend on their A level results.

Preferably more apprentice than university route."

Tell them not to panic.

I don't have A levels or a degree and average GCSE's. I work in the social/education sector. It's hard work, no money but I love it.

By *hunky GentMan  over a year ago

near Peterborough

Police force is very stressful.

Can the person handle the public or would they prefer a more clerical job?

wigan

"If they don't know yet, then I think the key is not to push them in any particular direction just yet. When they find their passion, then is the time to direct imho

That's the thing they keep changing their mind and panic is creeping in a little."

Panic for you or them?

Onestepoutofthedoor

"My best advice to them is probably go into something rewarding which also pays.

People are saying carer - salary is pretty poor, alongside poor career growth (not to knock carer’s as I personally couldn’t do it)

So you’ve got something along the lines of teaching, services (fire, police, paramedic) or they could follow the uni route & go into being a physio or counsellor.

That’d be my advice to them anyway. "

Their very first passion for a good while was to be a paramedic,then decided they didn't like blood . I personally think they'd make a great counsellor.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

No need to panic.

Any way to get into voluntary work which might give them a taste of types of work? Also good for skills and their CV.

"They're starting to panic as most of the kid's,second year of 6th Form seem to know what direction to go in. At first it was physio work,then the Police,social work,but it would all depend on their A level results.

Tell them not to panic.

I don't have A levels or a degree and average GCSE's. I work in the social/education sector. It's hard work, no money but I love it. "

Pretty much this^^

I didn’t care for education (regrettable) - got kicked out of 2 colleagues and went to work in a factory for a year. Fixed my attitude then come back & now I’m a chartered accountant.

I wouldn’t stress the results too much - you can always correct a mistake in education.

They’ll get there eventually - just go along to open days and such to get an idea. I’d also perhaps look at the gov apprenticeships going around in the area & the description might entice them.

Onestepoutofthedoor

"If they don't know yet, then I think the key is not to push them in any particular direction just yet. When they find their passion, then is the time to direct imho

That's the thing they keep changing their mind and panic is creeping in a little.

Panic for you or them? "

No them,I've told them not to panic yet it's just going to take a little longer to find their path.

"My best advice to them is probably go into something rewarding which also pays.

Their very first passion for a good while was to be a paramedic,then decided they didn't like blood . I personally think they'd make a great counsellor."

Need a degree now to be a paramedic but can study counseling at college or even the basics at night school though a degree is required to go further

Onestepoutofthedoor

"What age group? As care work is very rewarding. X "

Onestepoutofthedoor

"Police force is very stressful.

Can the person handle the public or would they prefer a more clerical job? "

I'm hoping the Police has been put to one side,I don't think they'd want a clerical job.

Study! Get some general qualifications under your belt (A levels) then decide...at 17 the world is your Oyster!

Manchester (she/her)

The first line in my very favourite book is something like, at 17 your life either shoots through the roof or flushes down the toilet.

It resonated with me when I first read it because I felt that fear. It resonates now because... Lord the lies we tell our children.

That's the thing they keep changing their mind and panic is creeping in a little."

I took the wrong choice, went to uni to please my parenta, studied chemistry, became a scientist..... .....it took me years to work out that wasn't for me, I'm a people person (I know you wouldn't believe it as I'm a sarcastic twat in the forum, but it's true!) and I need new challenges each day, but I'm happy and successful doing what I've been doing now for almost 20 years after a career change ??

My advice is just let them find their way and support hem when they do

What about police, fire or ambulance call operator?

wigan

Panic for you or them?

No them,I've told them not to panic yet it's just going to take a little longer to find their path."

If they can't make their mind up there is obviously not a strong enough pull from any of their considered options. Life changes fast at that age and when I was young I tried higher education, apprenticeships ect all of which proved pointless as I stumbled by chance into a totally unrelated career aged 22.

Onestepoutofthedoor

"The first line in my very favourite book is something like, at 17 your life either shoots through the roof or flushes down the toilet.

It resonated with me when I first read it because I felt that fear. It resonates now because... Lord the lies we tell our children. "

I perhaps won't tell them that

Manchester (she/her)

"The first line in my very favourite book is something like, at 17 your life either shoots through the roof or flushes down the toilet.

It resonated with me when I first read it because I felt that fear. It resonates now because... Lord the lies we tell our children.

I perhaps won't tell them that "

It'll be OK, is my point.

Their very first passion for a good while was to be a paramedic,then decided they didn't like blood . I personally think they'd make a great counsellor.

Need a degree now to be a paramedic but can study counseling at college or even the basics at night school though a degree is required to go further "

You don't have to go straight to Uni to become a paramedic.

Can join ambulance service as an ECA....then do degree through distance learning whilst you're being paid and getting experience.

Do need to get a C1 on your driving license....which costs.

And blood? Don't see that much to be honest....far more poo, pee & vomit

A general foundation degree in health and social care for 2 years

Then they can branch off when decided which direction they want x

Onestepoutofthedoor

"What about police, fire or ambulance call operator? "

I shall suggest that to them thankyou.

wigan

It resonated with me when I first read it because I felt that fear. It resonates now because... Lord the lies we tell our children. "

I think this is an unhealthy opinion because it puts unnecessary pressure on kids making them more likely to give up because friends and peers think they have failed if they are not flying high.

There are more possibilities and opportunities now than ever before making the traditional expectations of college - uni - career outdated.

Onestepoutofthedoor

"A general foundation degree in health and social care for 2 years

Then they can branch off when decided which direction they want x"

Is that at University?

Their very first passion for a good while was to be a paramedic,then decided they didn't like blood . I personally think they'd make a great counsellor."

Then you are probably right. After all, you know him/her best. So lean more towards counselling/social worker/probation officer?

"A general foundation degree in health and social care for 2 years

Then they can branch off when decided which direction they want x

Is that at University?"

Uni or a higher education college

Some combine them with apprenticeships as well

Onestepoutofthedoor

A bit more info I've just suggested being a councillor for either adults or children and they said they'd like to help children. This teenager has been through the care system so I think the passion is heading that way.

"A bit more info I've just suggested being a councillor for either adults or children and they said they'd like to help children. This teenager has been through the care system so I think the passion is heading that way."

That's how I got into doing what I do.

Manchester (she/her)

I think this is an unhealthy opinion because it puts unnecessary pressure on kids making them more likely to give up because friends and peers think they have failed if they are not flying high.

There are more possibilities and opportunities now than ever before making the traditional expectations of college - uni - career outdated. "

It is unhealthy, but that's my point. We put so much pressure on kids, and it's not true.

"A bit more info I've just suggested being a councillor for either adults or children and they said they'd like to help children. This teenager has been through the care system so I think the passion is heading that way."

That’s a very thought job to do! They need to be mentally strong or they’ll go home crying most nights.

I worked with a lady that was training to be a councillor but couldn’t handle working with kids (as she had her own kids & was crying most nights from the stories she was hearing). So she works only with adults now she’s qualified.

Onestepoutofthedoor

"A bit more info I've just suggested being a councillor for either adults or children and they said they'd like to help children. This teenager has been through the care system so I think the passion is heading that way.

That’s a very thought job to do! They need to be mentally strong or they’ll go home crying most nights.

I worked with a lady that was training to be a councillor but couldn’t handle working with kids (as she had her own kids & was crying most nights from the stories she was hearing). So she works only with adults now she’s qualified."

I can understand that,they're mentally strong when it comes to others,they've always had friend's go to them for advice etc. Mentally strong towards themselves maybe not so much.

wigan

There are more possibilities and opportunities now than ever before making the traditional expectations of college - uni - career outdated.

It is unhealthy, but that's my point. We put so much pressure on kids, and it's not true. "

By *radleywigginsMan  over a year ago

northwest

Anything that isn’t medicine

"Social work. Loads of possibilities. Good path to go down. "

This. 100% agree.

By *randMrsPipCouple  over a year ago

Alfreton

I'm a social care manager, having worked up from supporting people with autism and learning disabilities. It's not a perfect world, and unfortunately we sometimes get a bad press because of the occasional scandals when absolute fucktards manage to get jobs in care.

The social care system is stretched to its absolute limit alongside the NHS.

On the flip side though, I wouldn't choose to do any other job in the world. You have to be resilient, and not be too fond of having a normal social life!

Most places these days will also offer free NVQ's and a lot of scope for progression, so there are some worthwhile benefits if it's genuinely a career this person wants.

Feel free to private message me if I can be of any help

Mrs Pip

Preferably more apprentice than university route."

Any reason you are steering them towards apprenticeship rather than university? Will a degree open more doors for them?

By *stellaWoman  over a year ago

London

How about doing an Information, Advice and Guidance (IAG) qualification as a good broad brushstroke?

Onestepoutofthedoor

"I'm a social care manager, having worked up from supporting people with autism and learning disabilities. It's not a perfect world, and unfortunately we sometimes get a bad press because of the occasional scandals when absolute fucktards manage to get jobs in care.

The social care system is stretched to its absolute limit alongside the NHS.

On the flip side though, I wouldn't choose to do any other job in the world. You have to be resilient, and not be too fond of having a normal social life!

Most places these days will also offer free NVQ's and a lot of scope for progression, so there are some worthwhile benefits if it's genuinely a career this person wants.

Feel free to private message me if I can be of any help

Mrs Pip "

Thankyou for your comment,I'll see if it's something they continue to show interest in. The not having a normal social life may be a little off putting for them to contemplate at 17.

Onestepoutofthedoor

Any reason you are steering them towards apprenticeship rather than university? Will a degree open more doors for them? "

I'm not doing any steering I will support whichever direction they decide or are able to go in. They would prefer the apprentice route themselves.

Sales

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

The most important thing is for them to try different jobs as it's only at that point they'll know if they like it or not and there's nothing to say that they won't do x years in a job and then grow to hate it leading to a change of direction.

The days of doing 50 years in one job to get a gold clock are long gone just tell her there are no wrong choices and her 50 year working life will have twists and turns

The most important thing is to not stay for ever in any job they're unhappy in, life's to short.

Good luck

Any reason you are steering them towards apprenticeship rather than university? Will a degree open more doors for them?

I'm not doing any steering I will support whichever direction they decide or are able to go in. They would prefer the apprentice route themselves."

Sorry badly worded on my part.

Is there still health care cadets? As that's how I started.

By *uyinuMan  over a year ago

Scotland/Yorkshire

Disaster Management and get get an internship with an NGO

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Join indeed and tick the apprenticeships box. On the job learning is the way forward I believe.

It's so hard for young people these days. I've always supported mine and told them it's ok to not know what you want to do and it's ok to change your mind. In fact with my eldest I've backed off a bit because he sees what I see as guidance as nagging!

I had one went to Uni. Got a good degree which took about 10years for her to pay off. She has always had decent jobs, none of them related to her degree!

Other one declined Uni and made his own way in an area that interested him. At the age of 23 he is head of department and is not infrequently approached with offers of employment.

It really is difficult to know what route is best.

Steer away from Childcare, no money in it. I have two degrees in that discipline and it really is a vocation.

Part of me says what is the rush? Go to college, get some Alevels. If they decide to go to University later they can

I know people my age who don't know what they want to do, so they shouldn't worry.

I have two sons, eldest did not go to University, owns his own business fixing computers, laptops, phones.

Youngest just finished University, he qualified as a Game Developer, now working as a scripter for a Gaming company in Edinburgh which has been his dream since he was 5 years old.

I'm a welder of 32yrs, it's allowed me to work in Europe and emigrate to Australia. I've welded on things that your more likely to see on the Discovery channel... I bloody hate it with a passion.

Here's the go, someone cleverer than me said if you love what you do you'll never work a day in your life.

Take time to find out where their interests are then let them run with it.

Had I have put my time into the police or fire service I'd be retiring now.

Do what you love, make sure there's a future in it then be all you can be...!

"I'm looking for idea's if anyone can help please. A teenager who is due to leave school is totally undecided on their career path,well keeps changing their mind. All they know if that they would like to help people,but unsure which direction.

Does anyone work in any kind of field like this?"

I would highly recommend working as a recruitment consultant. Office hours. Weekends off. 17-19k per annum. Great training. Not much experience required. Just need to know the right things to say in an interview. You hire people. You help people find the right jobs and you work in a team who motivates everyone

By *oohTV/TS  over a year ago

Dublin

They’re only 17 for fuck sake! Who knows what they want at that age? And why should they!

Anyway the days of having one career are long gone. Young people who are now entering the work force will have an average of three different careers.

Let them get out there and get some life experience. There is plenty of opportunity to volunteer in all sorts of caring roles. St. John’s ambulance would be a good one where they would learn valuable skills too.

I would also tell any young person to do all they can in order to travel. Just go and see the world.

By *inky_CarpenterMan  over a year ago

Portsmouth

Gap year doing charity work....

By *artyanna16TV/TS  over a year ago

seacroft

Learning a little about renewable energy , its contruction installation, applications from roof tiles to windfarms to ground source heat pumps , anaerobic digesters , to methane capture and storage. Gardening landscaping woodland management, askham brian college near york is an agricultural college , vocational courses and academic studies in animal care amd welfare , arboriculture horticulture , farming and ecology

By *tudiousPipWoman  over a year ago

W Yorks

Diagnostic Radiography. Or 'taking x-rays' if you prefer... Not too much blood, plenty of helping people without getting overly involved. It's a degree course at uni, but they've introduced an apprentice scheme (for the record, every apprentice we've had has left before their first year ended to take up a helper post - so that's maybe a bad idea).

I was 38 when I realised radiography was a career. Everyone just assumes we're nurses!

I’d recommend volunteering alongside continuing into education.

More education is always a good choice, and a bit of volunteering can give you a real feel for a variety of roles and you can make some great connections, as well as doing something worthwhile.

I don’t think anyone knows what they want to do at that age, we tend to fall into things that we make the best of x it’s difficult to help people they have to help themselves but it’s a good ambition to have

Onestepoutofthedoor

Thankyou for your replies everyone,I shall pass any suggestions on.

» Add a new message to this topic