FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Renewing your driving licence

Renewing your driving licence

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

How many people know about this, how often it needs to be done and where the date is that shows when it has to be renewed? I only found out recently, luckily I did because I only had 3 months left.

£20 for the Government coffers lol!!!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

This is a subject that catches a lot of people out, I get it a lot at work as we deal with a massive amount of drivers.

A normal driving full license (Class B) is valid from the day you pass your test till your 70th birthday.

However if you have a photocard license the photo is only valid for 10 years from its date of issue.

A LGV (Lorry) and PCV Minibus - Bus licence is valid from the date of issue until your 45th birthday, when you need to get a medical to renew, this is required every 5 years after until you reach 70 then its renewable with a medical annually afterwards.

The same rule applies though for the photo on the photocard of being valid for 10 years.

yay.

this working for a living is a bloody expensive game.

on top of a £600 CPC, renewing a digicard, having to travel further because of no local work, im taking home less now, for a 70 hour week, than when i was 10 years ago, pressing a button on a machine, in a factory, for 40 hours a week.

It's only the photo part that needs to be updated, so you look a bit more like your photo...

Check the front of your card.

As a side note, you can use the same photo on your passport too, you have the option to link the pic on the application form...

"yay.

this working for a living is a bloody expensive game.

on top of a £600 CPC, renewing a digicard, having to travel further because of no local work, im taking home less now, for a 70 hour week, than when i was 10 years ago, pressing a button on a machine, in a factory, for 40 hours a week."

And then comes the new digi tacho card.........

you mean to say i should have a driving license to drive , ohhhhh

I found out about it last week when the renewal dropped through the letter box.

Came as a bit of a surprise.

According to the DVLA and I am an expert in this field now (them that know me will be able to testify), the DVLA will send you an application three months before the renewal date - and this is where it goes pearshaped

If u fax your application back to them it will take them three days to scan the application onto their system (thats their fairyland expectation) if you post it it can take up to three weeks (their quote),

having had dealings with the DVLA for the past 5 months I would suggest to anybody that they check the DVLA website (particularly if any medical condition has a bearing) as they change the rules and regulations and fail to let either the Doctors, clinics or general public know of these rule changes !!!!!

Good luck to anyone that needs to renew a licence that has additional complications to it

We currently are still battling our renewal with MP's involvement lol

By *adchickCouple  over a year ago

Cyprus

"How many people know about this, how often it needs to be done and where the date is that shows when it has to be renewed? I only found out recently, luckily I did because I only had 3 months left.

£20 for the Government coffers lol!!!"

If the address on your driving licence is up to date, you will get a reminder to renew your photo, 4 weeks before it runs out.

I've got mine.......

Just gotta find a passport booth that makes me look human

"How many people know about this, how often it needs to be done and where the date is that shows when it has to be renewed? I only found out recently, luckily I did because I only had 3 months left.

£20 for the Government coffers lol!!!

If the address on your driving licence is up to date, you will get a reminder to renew your photo, 4 weeks before it runs out.

I've got mine.......

Just gotta find a passport booth that makes me look human "

post office ofer the facility, and send it through to the dvla a lot quicker.

costs another fiver on top though, but i found it invaluable, because i let mine run out.

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

This is why I keep my paper licence! It looks like a copy of Magna Carta and always causes some laughs when I have to produce it, even the plod laughed when I had to show it to them!

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

"This is why I keep my paper licence! It looks like a copy of Magna Carta and always causes some laughs when I have to produce it, even the plod laughed when I had to show it to them!"

yeah, that's all well and good till you move, then the b.stards get you.

mustafa word with me uncle ali

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I am just wondering whether it might be better for (some) people to just retake the test... where I live we have a fair concentration of really bad drivers

"This is why I keep my paper licence! It looks like a copy of Magna Carta and always causes some laughs when I have to produce it, even the plod laughed when I had to show it to them!"

Same here

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

"I am just wondering whether it might be better for (some) people to just retake the test... where I live we have a fair concentration of really bad drivers"

i'll swap as soon as yer ready

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"I am just wondering whether it might be better for (some) people to just retake the test... where I live we have a fair concentration of really bad drivers

i'll swap as soon as yer ready "

Can we meet half way?;-)

I don't worry about it as the DVLA have had my license in their possession more often than me. I reckon they don't think I need one because whenever I've been caught for driving really fast whilst under the influence of alcohol, they demand I send them my license to be rewarded with points ( I can only assume for outstanding driving ability ( never had an accident).

The met police have several photographs on file of my face taken over the years too, I think the DVLA are in regular contact with them too, so should a recent pic be required they'll know where to obtain one. The police even ask me to hold a number under my chin whilst photographing my face, so I can only assume this is my driver license number, helping speed up the processing of said license....wonderful to see 2 authorotive bodies working together in such harmony.......

By *omnlynneCouple  over a year ago

milton keynes

you can use your passport photo provided the passport has 5 years or more left to run......oh lets all enjoy another stealth tax.....£20 to renew licence £2 for photos approx £1.95 in VAT ...and £5 if you get the post office to check you have correctly filled out the form...more if you want the "Post Office Express Service" which takes exactly the same time as doing it yourself......now talking of DIY....lol

By *omnlynneCouple  over a year ago

milton keynes

playforkeeps...are the points given by the DVLA like tesco clubcard points? and can they be used for everything except fuel and tobacco?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"I found out about it last week when the renewal dropped through the letter box.

Came as a bit of a surprise."

i had my renewal leter through last year....really should get round to posting it off

thank u all - u have really cheered me up - they have driven me insane over the past two weeks - and today was no exception so thanks u guys for making me laugh

By *aceytopWoman  over a year ago

from a town near you

oops got mine about a month ago i had forgotten

Simple answer is not to get a photo one.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Simple answer is not to get a photo one. "

It automatically becomes a photo one if you have to send in your paper licence for any reason - change of address, points to add, etc.

By *ercedes62Woman  over a year ago

Northampton

After reading this forum post and yes i too had a reminder is this a money making exercise i wonder to cover the cost of having to replace all the V5 docs on vehicles - makes me wonder.

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

"Simple answer is not to get a photo one.

It automatically becomes a photo one if you have to send in your paper licence for any reason - change of address, points to add, etc. "

This must have only happened recently I had points put on 3 years ago and still have my original one on green papyrus, it's that old

By *uby In StockingsTV/TS  over a year ago

Cheadle

word of warning, whenever you send any paperwork to DVLA, always keep copies, a friend of mine had their motorcycle licenses "missed off" their new photo licenses and had to re-take the test because they had no other proof and they were not the only person this has happened to.

» Add a new message to this topic