FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Television in a childs room.

Television in a childs room.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

My grandparents are wanting to get my little one a TV for her bedroom at their house and i'm not comfortable with it. She falls asleep pretty quickly after a bath/storytime and listening to nursery rhymes quietly at mine, but i know its a different routine at theirs.

Do your children have TV's in their bedrooms and at what ages did they have them? Good move or bad move?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If you set specific times for viewing then don't see a problem with it.

My children had televisions, but were only allowed them when they had friends in to watch videos, now it's for dvd's and console games. They are not connected to live tv so they can't watch anything not age appropriate.

"My grandparents are wanting to get my little one a TV for her bedroom at their house and i'm not comfortable with it. She falls asleep pretty quickly after a bath/storytime and listening to nursery rhymes quietly at mine, but i know its a different routine at theirs.

Do your children have TV's in their bedrooms and at what ages did they have them? Good move or bad move?"

I was given my first TV when I was 13 and third was for my Saga Mega Drive! But to watch TV I was 15!

All mine do and have done since babies... Early would put music on... And always have a story... Then a movie on before bed.

Now they are older its a god send... As a discipline area too... As losing tv privileges works wonders.

Mine all go off once asleep. The two older ones have games consoles attached too.

Cali

*this*

By *urreyfun2008Man  over a year ago

East Grinstead

I'd suspect that a little one would watch it more in the morning in that time window between them waking up and everyone else getting up.

Mine (lives with mother) has a TV in her room, but only for watching DVD's on her portable player. Never seen her have it on.

Forgot to mention that ours is used for age related/appropriate dvd's and games etc.

our 3 year old girl has a tv but on a timer works wonders as she know exactly wen its sheep counting time age related tv aswel dora the explora grrrrrrrrrr hate the saying BAK PAK BAKPAK LOL

By *urreyfun2008Man  over a year ago

East Grinstead

Best from mine when over in motel at New Year, was daddy you do know family guy has naughty words in it (goes out at 7pm in US on satellite) we should change channel.

Also Lady Gaga's new album is better she says as there are no naughty words in it.

LOL X

We don't have tv's in bedrooms period, so it's not an issue for us. Bedrooms are for sleeping and dressing in. (yes I know the other thing they're used for but it didn't sound right putting on a thread about children's bedrooms lol)

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

as long as YOU control it properly it shouldnt be an issue.

My nephew has a TV in his room but its only for dvd's and he is only allowed them on at the weekends or over the holidays, never on a school night

as with all things parenting wise common sense really does prevail

My opinion? You are the mother. If you don't want it to happen, say so firmly in the nicest possible way. A telly at Granny's might lead to one at yours. Children have medi EVERYWHERE now and imo, bedrooms should be sanctuaries from it. When they are older, yes, they will use the games etc and you won't see them for ages- trustme, not always a bad thing when they're 17 and opinionated as anything lol

Our littleun has his progs on throughout the day downstairs, so upstairs is TV-free. He likes his bedtime stories and he's usually awake an hour before anyone else but he never makes a sound. Seems to enjoy his time on his own with his toys. Wierdo.

You're the Mom so your rules.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Ive already said i wasnt happy about the tv in her room, if anything i think it will keep her attention span and she'll be up longer than if she didnt have one

By *ummy mummyWoman  over a year ago

southampton-ish

"We don't have tv's in bedrooms period, so it's not an issue for us. Bedrooms are for sleeping and dressing in. (yes I know the other thing they're used for but it didn't sound right putting on a thread about children's bedrooms lol)"

Same here.I have 1 telly in my house.they have toys and books in their rooms but will never have a telly.

By *andKCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

ours has got one, but then he is 29! pmsl

By *edhotminxWoman  over a year ago

Turn left at the Singing Ringing Tree

My kids never had televisions in their bedrooms until last year when one was 17 (and paid for it himself) and the other was 14 (and again, paid for it themselves).

Bedrooms are for sleeping and relaxing in. If they wanted to watch television in the evening, we did it as a family.

Since having said televisions in their bedrooms plus their laptops and mobiles, I don't see them apart from raiding the fridge and cupboards for anything to eat - which can range from 4pm to 1am!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

Merseyside

You call her little one ?

How old is she ?

If she's pre school then there is nothing for her to watch after her bed time.

If she's watching it in her room then she's watching it alone and in isolation and that image leaves me cold.

Set a few asks for your Mum and Dad.

She watches only x minutes per day.

She watches only y progs.

Someone always watches with her.

Someone disables the t.v when they leave the room.

It's not a good idea but sometimes if you want them to mind the children then you have to compromise.

Do they have her TOO often ?

If not I can't see ANY reason for them to feel inconvenienced enough to want to put her in a room with a t.v.

What happened to human contact when a kid needs it ?

I don't have a TV in my bedroom, think bedrooms are for sleeping & playing.

My kids didn't have tv in their rooms until the were 15 & on reflection I think that was too soon. x

I ran a bath and story routine for years, they only got TV's in their bedrooms when they turned 11 and only then at set times.

I had a TV in my room when I was about 10.

Never stayed up late watching stuff, had my own VCR pretty quick as well but my main hobby was film.

I got my first console in my room at 16, the N64.

Think the biggest problem for parents is kids staying up late playing consoles.

Also noticed a lot of parents dont notice the age restriction on games.

Theres a reason Call of duty,Gears, Grand theft auto are 18s, yet so many kids are given these for birthdays,xmas etc. You queue up on game launch and its midnight and theres parents with kids in the queue buying these games for the kids and then they wonder why kids are the way they are today.

As a gamer the most annoying thing is when your playing a 18 game, is kids screaming, swearing at you.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"Ive already said i wasnt happy about the tv in her room, if anything i think it will keep her attention span and she'll be up longer than if she didnt have one

"

So what's the problem?.....you are the parent, you have complete say in your childs upbringing.

You seriously need to put your foot down regarding this.

Regarding people who send their children to bed to fall asleep with a tv programme or dvd.....lazy parenting in my book.

» Add a new message to this topic