FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Lest we forget

Lest we forget

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"War is primarily not about victory or defeat but about death and the infliction of death. It represents the total failure of the human spirit."

Robert Fisk (Journalist)

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Having watched a docu drama last night on the Liberation of Belson I can only agree with that statement.

"Having watched a docu drama last night on the Liberation of Belson I can only agree with that statement. "

Surely, the liberation of Belsen is a contradiction to the OP?

""War is primarily not about victory or defeat but about death and the infliction of death. It represents the total failure of the human spirit."

Robert Fisk (Journalist)

"

Only a lily-livered pacifist would come out with crap like that. War is sometimes neccessary to remove a person or regime from a position of power that they using to abuse others. If WW2 had not taken place and Hitler had been permitted to remain in power I wonder what the shape of Europe would be today.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

hmmmm does it say we should not defend outselves against oppression?

I think it reminds us what war really is, in truth, but if you interpret it as lilly livered what can I say, your viewpoint. Just think you jumped perhaps a little quickly.

Reflection is always useful.

By *lubPartyPeepsCouple  over a year ago

London

But it was the failure of the human spirit that allowed someone like Hitler to rise to power and a collective failure by those around him at the time that allowed the Holocaust to come about, which was a result of his reign and a the war.

Another great saying would be - 'In order for Evil to prosper, all it takes is for good men to do nothing'

That docu / drama on Belsen is a very moving piece of work. Though there have been a fair few dramas about life in a concentration camp, this is the one film that showed the problems of dealing with one, once it was liberated, which was also touched upon in the episode 'Why we fight' in the TV series Band of Brothers.

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

war is not at all nice and i dont think the soldiers that went to northern france in 1914-18 (or any other war for that matter!)went for a good time but to lessen the chance of this country being invade,sometimes you have to stand up and fight!.

By *landPeggyCouple  over a year ago

Holland !

Fisk is quality, imho.

My lily-livered comment was aimed at Fisk, not the OP. Just thought I'd clarify that.

"war is not at all nice and i dont think the soldiers that went to northern france in 1914-18 (or any other war for that matter!)went for a good time but to lessen the chance of this country being invade,sometimes you have to stand up and fight!."

Oh dear, someone really needs to do a little reading here!!!!

"war is not at all nice and i dont think the soldiers that went to northern france in 1914-18 (or any other war for that matter!)went for a good time but to lessen the chance of this country being invade,sometimes you have to stand up and fight!.

Oh dear, someone really needs to do a little reading here!!!!"

Since the victor writes the history, which reading would you suggest.

The op was on about a quote by Robert Fisk.

"war is not at all nice and i dont think the soldiers that went to northern france in 1914-18 (or any other war for that matter!)went for a good time but to lessen the chance of this country being invade,sometimes you have to stand up and fight!.

Oh dear, someone really needs to do a little reading here!!!!

Since the victor writes the history, which reading would you suggest.

The op was on about a quote by Robert Fisk.

"

AJP Taylor "The Origins of the First World War" would be a good start,though Taylor did not have access to Asquith's diaries as they had not been released when he was writing. I can also recommend books by German historians too, including Zwick, who did have access to those diaries, along with the recently released letters of Kaiser Wilhelm to the British Royal Family.

Incidentally, as an Historian, I have to say,in the nicest possible way, that your assertion that "the victor writes the history" demonstrates a complete ignorance of how History is studied.

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

""War is primarily not about victory or defeat but about death and the infliction of death. It represents the total failure of the human spirit."

Robert Fisk (Journalist)

"

"Having watched a docu drama last night on the Liberation of Belson I can only agree with that statement. "

I personally know one of the first few men through the gates of Belson when they liberated it. I have heard of the atrocity first hand, the piles of dead bodies, the conditions of which the prisoners had to endure, the evil things that the officers inflicted on everyone there. Who said alls fair in love and war?

my father was a comando during the second war, and was in theater of wars from france too the desert and was wounded twice but went back to his unit ,nearing the end with german troops retreating they were brought in to clear and booldoz camps he very rarly spoke about his time but i could see horror in his eyes ,it efected him deeply ,he was a kind and compashonet man,if it were not for them ,where would we be now,

» Add a new message to this topic