FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Portable Sat Nav advice please!

Portable Sat Nav advice please!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I hope those who like their gadgets can help me.

I have a Tom Tom One, purchased back in 2006, and upgraded the maps once during that time, probably about 3 years ago.

I have a long road trip this year in UK, and am contemplating to upgrade just the maps without having to buy a new unit.

With the advancement in technology being so fast, would I gain much by buying a completely new unit such as Tom Tom Start, or can I get away with just a map upgrade?

As far as I am aware, map upgrade is available for my model.

I should have sufficient time to save up for a new Tom Tom.

Many thanks for your help and advice in advance.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *empnbunkCouple  over a year ago

south coast

you'll probably find that the map today is the same map u upgraded to a few years back...tom tom are shocking at upgrading their maps

By *pireblueMan  over a year ago

chesterfield

If i was you i would just up grade the maps on it it will be cheaper

By *ormerWelshcouple2020Man  over a year ago

Stourbridge

Map upgrade it's easy and far more cost effective.

south coast

the government have stepped in according to the news they are consulting with sat nav companies on how to get maps upgraded as most are wayy outdated

By *histler21Man  over a year ago

Ipswich

My (limited) experience is that map upgrades are simply too expensive.

And to be honest - unless you are travelling through an area where you know there are LOTS of road changes/new developments - it's not really worth it.

I tend to buy a new unit when I need a new whizzy bit (my latest one also has Freeview built in to it).

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

unless a new road has been built where ya goin ,, dont both updating .. the model you have will get ya there ,, and if not ,, just ask a friendly peep when you get close

south coast

ask a taxi driver if you start to struggle

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I hope those who like their gadgets can help me.

I have a Tom Tom One, purchased back in 2006, and upgraded the maps once during that time, probably about 3 years ago.

I have a long road trip this year in UK, and am contemplating to upgrade just the maps without having to buy a new unit.

With the advancement in technology being so fast, would I gain much by buying a completely new unit such as Tom Tom Start, or can I get away with just a map upgrade?

As far as I am aware, map upgrade is available for my model.

I should have sufficient time to save up for a new Tom Tom.

Many thanks for your help and advice in advance.

"

there may be another option... if you have a smartphone, there are various very cheap sat nav apps out there, it might be worth while checking out one of those....

the only other thing i would say is if you are going down that route keep it charged in the car... as using the gps on the phones has been known to be used up the battery quickly....

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Other than the size of the thing, if you just want directions an old tom tom is as good as a new tom tom.

I probably wouldn't bother updating the maps either.

Find a friend who has a new satnav and copy their maps onto an SD card and then copy the maps onto your TomTom.

As stated above, TomTom are quite reticent in updating their maps (although thier email sales blurbs suggest they always have the latest info), so don't go paying out for something you might already have.

The newer smart phones have good map apps available for download, or you can access Google Maps for when you're out and about walking during your trip.

alot of my friends have updated the maps and its screwed the unit up, this is mainly on garmins but maybe worth thinking about a new one. or just use your old one im sure things havnt changed that much. or by a map

By *ustyandDickyCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

I would sell that on E Bay and buy a new old as they have come down on price and if you get a live one it will take you round the traffic hold ups

By *lam rockerMan  over a year ago

Tain

my iphone has vodafone navigation on it - not the best - but workable with as it is free!

By *ercedes62Woman  over a year ago

Northampton

I have the same model as you and do the usual foc upgrades from the site on a regular basis.

As the others have said i dont think its worthwhile you updating to a new one. I have used mine a lot and it always gets me to where i want without hardly any problems at all.

Yes it does not locate new roads or junctions sometimes but if you know your on the right track it soon kicks in again.

My personal feelings i wouldnt waste your momey but as someone else said if you have an iphone etc have a back up.

A lot of the apps are foc anyway.

buy me a 3DS while ur at it

ONly roads that are new in the last 3 years are those in housing estates etc. so maybe if you are visiting lots of people it could be worth updating...

But the high street is still in the same place as is the A1...

I bought new maps for a European trip total miles 7500, miles on new roads about 10... PLUS whilst riding down a road I came across a roundabout that was NOT on my new maps... strange that it had grass, flowers and even a couple of trees on it being as how it was supposed to be new!!

Use your satnav as it is, if you want to upgrade, the new processors are quicker and will calculate the routes quicker, and has already been mentioned there are now traffic avoidence systems which may help (but probably not as all the people with the same satnav will be trying to get down the same single track B Road!

» Add a new message to this topic