FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Just a thought...

Just a thought...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *isscheekychops OP   Woman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

While walking out of Sainsbury's I noticed a headline Stating "Nurses have lost their compassion"

The last time I was in hospital after suffering an traumatic event I have to say that all the nurses and doctor dealt with me with such compassion.

I never read the story associated with the headline but I guess its a profession that is underpaid, over stretched and open to abuse.. I mean would you not loose your compassion if you was working under such conditions?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

there are good nurses and a few bad ones...

same as all other professions.

it is not a vocation to all

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"While walking out of Sainsbury's I noticed a headline Stating "Nurses have lost their compassion"

The last time I was in hospital after suffering an traumatic event I have to say that all the nurses and doctor dealt with me with such compassion.

I never read the story associated with the headline but I guess its a profession that is underpaid, over stretched and open to abuse.. I mean would you not loose your compassion if you was working under such conditions? "

I did become disillusioned with the nhs due to management decisions etc.... maybe that did affect my work but i hope not, i got out before i knew it would

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I was in for an operation in November. The nurses were excellent, couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.

I don't think nurses are underpaid. I would love their wage and hours. I also think the majority in the hospitals in our area, are some of the most heartless, uncaring human beings I've ever met.

the article blames hospital managers for choosing staff on an academic rather than empathic basis.

Cameron has appealed for peeps to speak up about bad nursing but it is Government at the end of the day who have control over the recruitment of "techno" managers who do not seem to be coping with the realities of this profession.

The headline is a little misleading and is probs written to be controversial and make you read the article.

"the article blames hospital managers for choosing staff on an academic rather than empathic basis.

Cameron has appealed for peeps to speak up about bad nursing but it is Government at the end of the day who have control over the recruitment of "techno" managers who do not seem to be coping with the realities of this profession.

The headline is a little misleading and is probs written to be controversial and make you read the article."

Ahh right ok I never read the article as I just wanted to get home.. However thanks for letting me know what is was about..

on the same subject just look what Cameron is supposed to say about this:

"“Somewhere in the last decade the health system has conspired to undermine one of this country's greatest professions.

“It’s not one problem in particular. It's the stifling bureaucracy.”

Some hospitals across the Midlands and East of England are already planning to start the surveys but Mr Cameron will say he wants to see it happen “everywhere”.

Ministers will tell hospitals to publish both patient and staff _iews in regular “quality accounts”.

The answer to too much bureaucracy is more beueaucracy???????????????

"I don't think nurses are underpaid. I would love their wage and hours. I also think the majority in the hospitals in our area, are some of the most heartless, uncaring human beings I've ever met. "

I dont think they are underpaid either, have been in hospital quite a few times myself and visiting family, there are some really nice nurses and some right dragons. After seeing programs about the elderly being neglected and stories i have read in the newspapers, i have a real fear of having to stay in a hospital for very long.

By *andKCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

"the article blames hospital managers for choosing staff on an academic rather than empathic basis.

The headline is a little misleading and is probs written to be controversial and make you read the article."

oh dear I applied for a non-medical managers job with the NHS yesterday, mind you I think I need a degree in physcology just to complete the application form!

The headline is a little misleading and is probs written to be controversial and make you read the article.

oh dear I applied for a non-medical managers job with the NHS yesterday, mind you I think I need a degree in physcology just to complete the application form!"

You will be fine o ye man of little faith..

"I don't think nurses are underpaid. I would love their wage and hours. I also think the majority in the hospitals in our area, are some of the most heartless, uncaring human beings I've ever met. "

They're desperately short of nurses in the Glasgow and Clyde area. Go for it.

By *andKCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

oh dear I applied for a non-medical managers job with the NHS yesterday, mind you I think I need a degree in physcology just to complete the application form!

You will be fine o ye man of little faith.. "

I'm more worried about the bad press I'll get - nobody seems to like NHS management

[Removed by poster at 10/01/12 19:35:27]

Every profession has it bad member of staff, but I imagine when dealing with terminally ill patients it must be very difficult to be efficient at your job and not seem heartless.

They have to keep some distance between themselves and the patient, otherwise they'd go nuts.

....the article blames hospital managers for choosing staff on an academic rather than empathic basis....

I don't quite get this bit. You can't be a qualified nurse without the relevant academic qualifications, and there are more and more failing the basics.

I would say that a more accurate headline would be "nurses have lost the ability to pretend they give a crap".

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

"While walking out of Sainsbury's I noticed a headline Stating "Nurses have lost their compassion"

I never read the story associated with the headline but I guess its a profession that is underpaid, over stretched and open to abuse.. I mean would you not loose your compassion if you was working under such conditions? "

newspapers, jut like the forums at times tend to generalise...

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

in the 70's/80's

was

2 O Levels for an Enrolled Nurse 2 years on the ward training ( with classroom activity tutor led throughout )

5 O Levels for a Staff Nurse 3 years on the ward training ( with classroom activity tutor led throughout )

then it changed to a degree course, so the entry qualifications will be higher grade.

I have to say that our experience with NHS staff, especially nurses in the last 12 months has been first class. We've both had health scares and were left feeling that at every step of the way, everyone cared.

There are some wonderful nurses out there and we take our hats of to them... it's such a shame that some feel so bad about their jobs they do.

[Removed by poster at 10/01/12 20:04:55]

"I have to say that our experience with NHS staff, especially nurses in the last 12 months has been first class. We've both had health scares and were left feeling that at every step of the way, everyone cared.

There are some wonderful nurses out there and we take our hats of to them... it's such a shame that some feel so bad about their jobs they do."

*the

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

Reminds of when i had the snip, some 12 weeks later had to produce a fresh sample by 9.00 one morning.

got a letter reminding me, and if i needed any help to ask for Mrs ******.

Can't say fairer than that.

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

In the last couple of years I have met some nurses who really should have halos.

Sadly for each one of those I have had to deal with one I would have gladly kicked in the cunt. Especially the ones who left my dad to lay in his own shit for so long it had dried on the sheets and his clothes.

I don't think nurses are underpaid at all, only during training is the pay poor. Basic is over £20K when qualified, a team leader on a ward is paid far more than a team leader in many jobs, myself included. I would actually recommend nursing as a well-paid career with good opportunities to anyone. If I was younger, I would be very interested in it myself. Many of the wards would not be overstretched, but have high absenteeism, as they receive full pay when off, and regardless of ability, staff are almost untouchable.

"In the last couple of years I have met some nurses who really should have halos."

"Sadly for each one of those I have had to deal with one I would have gladly kicked in the cunt. Especially the ones who left my dad to lay in his own shit for so long it had dried on the sheets and his clothes."

But £20k/£25k (whatever it is) isn't that much for someone who is in a very stressful enviroment, has to work nights and has to do a lot of training/studying to get to that point dont you think?

I have a friend who is a teacher just qualified and she earns similar figures. When you think of the training, cost of study etc again it isnt that much.

I think to work in most public sector jobs you have to be motivated by things other than money.

"But £20k/£25k (whatever it is) isn't that much for someone who is in a very stressful enviroment, has to work nights and has to do a lot of training/studying to get to that point dont you think?

I have a friend who is a teacher just qualified and she earns similar figures. When you think of the training, cost of study etc again it isnt that much.

I think to work in most public sector jobs you have to be motivated by things other than money."

£20K as a starting salary, could well be promoted within 5 years to team leader on 30K, I see as a very good pay. They work on a rota, so mornings/evenings/nights are all in, no different than many people work now, myself included. I know many people who work permanent nights now, who earn far less than 20K. Warehousing/retail 5 nights, under £16K in Teesside. Only in acute admissions or theatre would I consider it possibly stressful, certainly not on a ward or A & E.

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Through my Mums illnesses, I`ve seen some good nurses and some bad, some really nice and some so blunt I nearly lost my rag which is very unusual! Mum had a triple heart by-pass, was released from hospital in London and two days later hurt chest muscles turning over in bed. She was admitted to a geriatric ward at Poole General where the ward is well known for the generally poor attitude of the staff. We passed on instructions given to us by Guys Nuffield (London) for dressings near her groin to be changed but this was not done until one sister looked at them and had to get proper sterile gloves to clean and change the dressings when we complained. She was also in the stroke ward on a later date. Her bed was an old sort put into the ward due to the failure of an "all singing and dancing" elctric bed. This my Mum could not get on with as there wasn`t any rails or similar to allow her to adjust her position in bed. When I informed the sister in charge of the problem her reply thrown back at me in a totally surley manner was "Well what do you want me to do about it?" She didn`t reply to me when I asked if she could have a bed with rails fitted but they were fitted later that night after we had left. Opposingly, Mum has one nurse who regularly sends her an Xmas card and gives her news of the other nurses Mum liked when she was in.

» Add a new message to this topic