FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Ambulance gets a ticket

Ambulance gets a ticket

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ugby 123 OP   Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ambulance-parking-ticket-warden-tesco-12976410

So an ambulance got a ticket for stopping on double yellows while they went in for their drink.

Their reason for stopping there was because they had been on shift for 8 hours, does that mean anyone with a job who has been on shift for 8 hours can stop on double yellows to get their drink and food or is is just for people who work in the NHS?

Should they have parked in a bay ( or two if needed ) like we all have to?

It seems the ticket has been waived now, but is that the right thing to do?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *tirluvMan  over a year ago

the right frame of mind -London

My secret plan is to get everyone to convert their cars into ambulances

By *abarellaWoman  over a year ago

Warminster

Unless on an emergency call they should abide by parking laws.

They might be hero's but they are not above the law.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I guess you often see the papers and story hunters running features on police cars etc parking illegally for a few minutes.

I'm sure their supervisors will give them a dressing down, but if we can't cut a little slack to the emergency services going about their business then we've lost the plot a little? They shouldn't take liberties but it's a little different to the normal can't be arsed to walk a bit farther types?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

but it's a little different to the normal can't be arsed to walk a bit farther types?"

Can I ask why?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"My secret plan is to get everyone to convert their cars into ambulances "

By *utie91Woman  over a year ago

Hitchin

It’s normally because either the ambulance doesn’t actually fit into a space. Or we don’t have time to faf about finding a parking space miles away then walking to the shop. Chances are if we did that we would get another job before even making to the shop.

Would you rather us stop for 2 mins to grab a quick drink or stop for 10mins delaying your ambulance response?

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

if they was on duty and getting drinks before they got called out again

the answer would be no

if they was at end of there shift or at end of there shift it should be like everyone else

By *m3232Man  over a year ago

maidenhead

Tech yes they are in the wrong but I definitely think they should be allowed to park like that to get there drink. Same goes for fire brigades and possibly police but they can be arses lol.

These people protect and help us so they should be allowed to do that kind of thing.

"

but it's a little different to the normal can't be arsed to walk a bit farther types?

Can I ask why?"

Because they can be dispatched immediately, so my thoughts are that if they park ten minutes away to get food how does that factor into a response?

Truth is this would be a non story if it was a builders van? Most people respect their role is unique and cutting a little slack shows a little appreciation? I support them.

By *good-being-badMan  over a year ago

mis-types and auto corrects leads cock leeds

Are ambulances crown vehicles ?

If so I thought crown warranted vehicles couldn't be issued with parking tickets.

"https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ambulance-parking-ticket-warden-tesco-12976410

So an ambulance got a ticket for stopping on double yellows while they went in for their drink.

Their reason for stopping there was because they had been on shift for 8 hours, does that mean anyone with a job who has been on shift for 8 hours can stop on double yellows to get their drink and food or is is just for people who work in the NHS?

It seems the ticket has been waived now, but is that the right thing to do?"

Surely if they'd taken 2 bays then they still would've got a ticket!

My mum is disabled, she took 2 parking spaces as all disabled bays were taken and bought two tickets for each space but still got a ticket because she'd gone over the line! My mum isn't one to argue so paid her fine

Sometimes these people are jobsworths

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Or we don’t have time to faf about finding a parking space miles away then walking to the shop.

"

Parking spaces are never miles away at supermarkets

"

but it's a little different to the normal can't be arsed to walk a bit farther types?

Can I ask why?"

Maybe because they’re trying to fit some food and drink into them as fast as they can in between saving lives?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Can I ask why?

Because they can be dispatched immediately, so my thoughts are that if they park ten minutes away to get food how does that factor into a response?

."

Parking spaces in supermarkets are never normally ten minutes away

"

Can I ask why?

Parking spaces in supermarkets are never normally ten minutes away "

Every minute is precious when trying to save a life

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Can I ask why?

Maybe because they’re trying to fit some food and drink into them as fast as they can in between saving lives? "

So parking in a bay would stop them doing that?

"

Can I ask why?

Maybe because they’re trying to fit some food and drink into them as fast as they can in between saving lives?

So parking in a bay would stop them doing that?"

Potentially yes

By *abarellaWoman  over a year ago

Warminster

"

Can I ask why?

Maybe because they’re trying to fit some food and drink into them as fast as they can in between saving lives? "

But they know what the job entails so why not take food and drink on shift with them?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Surely if they'd taken 2 bays then they still would've got a ticket!

)

"

Yeah they probably would come to think of it but may have discretion used by the warden if they were at least in a bay as they wouldn't fit into just the one?

"

Can I ask why?

They could always have a Packed lunch instead

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Can I ask why?

Potentially yes"

Why?

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan  over a year ago

"Tech yes they are in the wrong but I definitely think they should be allowed to park like that to get there drink. Same goes for fire brigades and possibly police but they can be arses lol.

These people protect and help us so they should be allowed to do that kind of thing. "

This,

Maybe not the police cars as they could easily fit in a car bay and don't always have to respond straight away when a call comes in

"It’s normally because either the ambulance doesn’t actually fit into a space. Or we don’t have time to faf about finding a parking space miles away then walking to the shop. Chances are if we did that we would get another job before even making to the shop.

Would you rather us stop for 2 mins to grab a quick drink or stop for 10mins delaying your ambulance response?

"

That makes sense.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Can I ask why?

Every minute is precious when trying to save a life"

If that was applied they wouldn't have gone into the shop at all

"https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ambulance-parking-ticket-warden-tesco-12976410

Nope they parked illegally they are responsible people and should be accountable unless they've just saved my life

"

Can I ask why?

But they know what the job entails so why not take food and drink on shift with them? "

No they don’t know what it entails, and why should they take food and drink in a cab in this weather that can get hot and humid leaving their food rank and therefore not get fresh food and cold/hot drinks?

These guys don’t know one call from the next, nor how busy they are going to be, and can work ridiculously late no hours before having even the sniff of an opportunity to get food.

Personally I’d rather a life saver save a few minutes response time, and be refreshed and feel well before responding to me or a loved one to save life for the sake of a bloody parking ticket!

So emergency services park in a space which is a 5 minute walk away. Do we really want that additional 5 minutes added to an emergency call that will almost certainly come in?

"

Can I ask why?

If that was applied they wouldn't have gone into the shop at all"

Are you joking???

Dear lord

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"So emergency services park in a space which is a 5 minute walk away. Do we really want that additional 5 minutes added to an emergency call that will almost certainly come in?"

There was a bay next to where they parked

"

Can I ask why?

Parking spaces in supermarkets are never normally ten minutes away "

True and I haven't read the full story, but my example was based on pulling up outside a sandwich shop.

I guess the crews deserve a little slack is my opinion. We can argue it black and white, but careful what we wish for.

Those that protect us can apply the same logic back if we treat them like that?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Can I ask why?

Are you joking???

Dear lord "

No. You are saying they need to be with or very near their ambulance at all times, so by that logic they shouldn't be leaving their ambulance at all ( according to your logic not my view )

Hitchin

"

Can I ask why?

But they know what the job entails so why not take food and drink on shift with them? "

Because most of us don’t actually have time between shifts to sort anything out. We only get 11hrs off so we spend most of it in bed because the shifts are exhausting.

Ultimately they don't have an excuse if that answers your question OP?

I guess we as the public need to decide if we think certain roles are cut a little slack when on day to day business?

If you were the parking attendant would you have booked them?

Personally I think you have to be a complete arse of a human being to stick a ticket on an ambulance.

"

Can I ask why?

Are you joking???

Dear lord

No. You are saying they need to be with or very near their ambulance at all times, so by that logic they shouldn't be leaving their ambulance at all ( according to your logic not my view )"

That’s not what I said at all, so please don’t try putting words in my mouth.

Your ignorance of the service is saddening and a little sickening imo

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Can I ask why?

True and I haven't read the full story, but my example was based on pulling up outside a sandwich shop.

I guess the crews deserve a little slack is my opinion. We can argue it black and white, but careful what we wish for.

Those that protect us can apply the same logic back if we treat them like that? "

It was in a supermarket with bays next to where they parked.

So they can apply logic of we won't treat you well if you we get a ticket?

Hitchin

"

Can I ask why?

Are you joking???

Dear lord

No. You are saying they need to be with or very near their ambulance at all times, so by that logic they shouldn't be leaving their ambulance at all ( according to your logic not my view )"

If people stopped calling for stupid things then we would have more time for Luxuarys like parking in a parking space and maybe even getting to eat our lunch sometimes before going to your cut finger or sprained ankle than don’t even need an ambulance

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Can I ask why?

Are you joking???

Dear lord

No. You are saying they need to be with or very near their ambulance at all times, so by that logic they shouldn't be leaving their ambulance at all ( according to your logic not my view )

Your ignorance of the service is saddening and a little sickening imo "

Try not to get personal or airiated

I have not given my own personal view yet.

"

Can I ask why?

Are you joking???

Dear lord

I have not given my own personal view yet. "

It isn’t personal at all, but I do think you are deliberately trying to troll and flame

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Can I ask why?

Are you joking???

Dear lord

Your ignorance of the service is saddening and a little sickening imo "

I think you did, you said they need to be "be dispatched immediately" If they are not with the ambulance be that going for a pee or into a shop they can't be dispatched immediately.

"

Can I ask why?

Those that protect us can apply the same logic back if we treat them like that?

It was in a supermarket with bays next to where they parked.

So they can apply logic of we won't treat you well if you we get a ticket?

"

No. I probably articulated that badly and I'm confident they wouldn't.

But if they know they'll have the book thrown at them for every minor infringement, they may insist on never bending rules to get the job done?

Emergency services generally just get the job done the best they can.

But as I stated above in black and white terms they have no excuse lawfully.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Can I ask why?

Are you joking???

Dear lord

It isn’t personal at all, but I do think you are deliberately trying to troll and flame"

Or ask questions for the debate? Maybe ignore the thread if you are not happy

"

Can I ask why?

Are you joking???

Dear lord

I think you did, you said they need to be "be dispatched immediately" If they are not with the ambulance be that going for a pee or into a shop they can't be dispatched immediately.

I have not given my own personal view yet."

Not my quote, do keep up ??

By *xtrafun4youMan  over a year ago

Dunstable

"Unless on an emergency call they should abide by parking laws.

They might be hero's but they are not above the law. "

I agree.

"

Can I ask why?

Are you joking???

Dear lord

It isn’t personal at all, but I do think you are deliberately trying to troll and flame

Or ask questions for the debate? Maybe ignore the thread if you are not happy"

I won’t ignore a thread because one person is being deliberately contentious, but I’ll ignore your comments happily now it’s clear what your doing

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

No. I probably articulated that badly and I'm confident they wouldn't.

But if they know they'll have the book thrown at them for every minor infringement, they may insist on never bending rules to get the job done?

Emergency services generally just get the job done the best they can.

But as I stated above in black and white terms they have no excuse lawfully."

Totally get what you are saying now and I agree with everything you have said.

For me , yes they could have parked in a disabled bay or two bays that were behind them but as someone else pointed out they would have probably got a ticket for that anyway, but as much as I think that, I don't think making excuses of why they couldn't park in a bay is a good thing either

By *etter the devil you knowWoman  over a year ago

Lyndhurst

"Personally I think you have to be a complete arse of a human being to stick a ticket on an ambulance. "

He was just doing what he had been told to do.

By *inkerbell67Woman  over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

Paramedics hardly get time for a break ,you wouldnt want them to come to dear old granny and collapse with dehydration after working 8hrs with out a drink or food ,try wearing there uniform and rubber gloves and heavy shoes in this heat ,.some people have no idea whats it like to work on the front line in this heat ,i done it for 14 years on a ward were we were not aloud to have a cold drink unless it was our break ,and no air conditioning on the ward ,and windows that hardly opened and wearing plastic aprons and gloves ..try working like that befor you start moaning....

A bit of discression wouldn't go a miss.

"Personally I think you have to be a complete arse of a human being to stick a ticket on an ambulance.

He was just doing what he had been told to do."

I agree, I’m not sure the guy who isssues the ticket should be vilified, it was a judgment call, some would do it, others wouldn’t.

Without understanding him and why he issued the ticket we shouldn’t judge. But either way, he was doing his job to the letter.

There's a lot of comments on the thread like, depends if they were on duty or not or if they were at the end of their shift.

I would imagine that if they have the ambulance with them, they are on duty! Even if the shift is over, until they hand the ambulance over to the next shift at the station, if a call comes in, they will respond. They aren't going to say, look, I know we still have the ambulance but, our shift is over now. We're on our way back to base, we'll be ten minutes then the next shift can attend. I hope not anyway!

For that reason, I don't mind where they park if they have a quiet moment and it improves response times. As long as you can get a car past on the road or a pushchair/mobility scooter past on the pavement there isn't a problem.

Emergency vehicles aren't supposed to run red lights either, I think, but, I don't mind that also!

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

If people stopped calling for stupid things then we would have more time for Luxuarys like parking in a parking space and maybe even getting to eat our lunch sometimes before going to your cut finger or sprained ankle than don’t even need an ambulance "

I can't say I have ever done that so your disgust is aimed at the wrong person.

It would be good for people to not take comments personally, it is just a discussion

Forum Mod

O o O oo

So I am guessing the majority think the ticket being sqaushed was the right thing?

"So I am guessing the majority think the ticket being sqaushed was the right thing?"

Absolutely

Forum Mod

O o O oo

squashed*

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

"

Can I ask why?

Truth is this would be a non story if it was a builders van? Most people respect their role is unique and cutting a little slack shows a little appreciation? I support them."

Exactly my thoughts

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"So I am guessing the majority think the ticket being sqaushed was the right thing?"

No. I was a community care worker. If I parked on double yellows to get a drink or do a client call I got a ticket. Where I was working at the time there was no parking. The local pub complained about people parking on the street, so we all got tickets despite having meals delivery or carer on call signs in our cars. Part of the reason I gave up the job as it doesn't pay enough to cover things like that.

"

If people stopped calling for stupid things then we would have more time for Luxuarys like parking in a parking space and maybe even getting to eat our lunch sometimes before going to your cut finger or sprained ankle than don’t even need an ambulance

I can't say I have ever done that so your disgust is aimed at the wrong person.

It would be good for people to not take comments personally, it is just a discussion "

I agree...I know you can fight your own argument but!

I personally don't think an issue should have been made out of their parking. But legally they had no excuse and no one can give a factually based argument to the contrary?

I think it would depend on the circumstances. I appreciate they won't fit in normal spaces so if there are no 2 spaces available close to the shop and parking illegally would save significant time then yes it should be allowed.

In this case it seems there were spaces available they could have used so should have. Double yellow lines are there to prevent danger and restrictions of the road so should be a last resort.

Saw this video today. The guy was a prick. Hope he doesn't need an ambulance one day. Whatever happened to a bit of respect for the police...fire and ambulance service. Fuckin jobs worth x

By *hips n FursMan  over a year ago

Huddersfield

Wouldn't common sense of been better where one stays with the ambulance,while the other nipped into the shop to get food and drinks.

On shift, all emergency services should be able to park where they like to get food and drink, obviously without obstructing the road, they can get called any minute and time is wasted going round in circles in a car park looking for a wide enough space, plus they need to have a quick getaway if called on a job. They are saving lives ffs!!

Every minute counts for them so if they need to park on double yellows on shift to save running across a car park between traffic I'm all for it. If the moaners were the ones waiting for said ambulance I think your view would be different!

Respect to the ambos.

"It’s normally because either the ambulance doesn’t actually fit into a space. Or we don’t have time to faf about finding a parking space miles away then walking to the shop. Chances are if we did that we would get another job before even making to the shop.

"

was going to say this... in this heat they should be able to just park on double yellows same as I people with blue badges.

By *eesideMan  over a year ago

margate sumwear by the sea

If thay wos not on call or at a emergency call out then to be fair thay shood have parked in a bay.

I no the NHS dus/trys to do a grate job but even the NHS shood follow the parking rules wen not on a emergency.

Hitchin

"There's a lot of comments on the thread like, depends if they were on duty or not or if they were at the end of their shift.

I would imagine that if they have the ambulance with them, they are on duty! Even if the shift is over, until they hand the ambulance over to the next shift at the station, if a call comes in, they will respond. They aren't going to say, look, I know we still have the ambulance but, our shift is over now. We're on our way back to base, we'll be ten minutes then the next shift can attend. I hope not anyway!

For that reason, I don't mind where they park if they have a quiet moment and it improves response times. As long as you can get a car past on the road or a pushchair/mobility scooter past on the pavement there isn't a problem.

Emergency vehicles aren't supposed to run red lights either, I think, but, I don't mind that also!"

Actually they can run tee lights... if on a genuine emergency call. They are exempt from that and are allowed to treat a red right as a giveway

I was in an ambulance last night with my son. Stopping for a min to get a drink is ok in my book .(obviously not while they were taking us )

Let them park where the hell they want while there in shift

I’d rather them do that and be there when I need them than the alternative

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman  over a year ago

stourbridge area

Im presuming the driver was in the driving seat and his/ her buddy popped out to get water ....They dont get set breaks its always lunch on the run....an ambulance is a big vehicle to fit in a bog standard car space ....its not as if they were doing a weekly shop ....they are constantly on call ..

By *isaB45Woman  over a year ago

Fabville

Problem is, if they maybe called to a major emergency, they would have very little time to get back to their ambulance. Additionally, crews often don't get a chance for a break, if their shift is busy.

Perhaps the parking warden could have used a little common sense and discretion...

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Can you imagine an ambulance getting to you or your relative, due to being parked in a bag a distance away from a shop they went into.

In my opinion you let them off with it.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

"

"

Some jobs transcend the usual conventions and I think anyone in their right mind would say that paramedic is one of them.

By *dam1971Man  over a year ago

Bedford

I see this from a different direction, people park like this every day of the week in every supermarket in the country. It’s a shameless attempt by some very greedy media people who take advantage of a non-story to sell more newspapers or get more hits on their site so they can sell more advertisers space.

The story shouldn’t be that something inconsequential happened but that the media tries to manipulate us for their own advantage.

"I see this from a different direction, people park like this every day of the week in every supermarket in the country. It’s a shameless attempt by some very greedy media people who take advantage of a non-story to sell more newspapers or get more hits on their site so they can sell more advertisers space.

The story shouldn’t be that something inconsequential happened but that the media tries to manipulate us for their own advantage."

Very true, however in this case, the video went viral long before the media got hold of it.

Bedford

"I see this from a different direction, people park like this every day of the week in every supermarket in the country. It’s a shameless attempt by some very greedy media people who take advantage of a non-story to sell more newspapers or get more hits on their site so they can sell more advertisers space.

The story shouldn’t be that something inconsequential happened but that the media tries to manipulate us for their own advantage.

Very true, however in this case, the video went viral long before the media got hold of it. "

But nobody’s making any money from a viral video

Very true, however in this case, the video went viral long before the media got hold of it.

But nobody’s making any money from a viral video"

Agreed, the point I was making is that this isn’t something the media has made up or blown out of proportion, but something they’ve certainly taken advantage of to their own purpose, you should of seen the journo’s scrabbling over the original video, trying to get permission from the owner (who I’m sure got a cut of the action), to use it, it was cringe worthy.

Though, I’ll also add, most people seemed quite eager for the media to get hold of it to spread awareness of the story and what was going on.

Bedford

Yeah, the public love a bit of outrage, unfortunately

"So emergency services park in a space which is a 5 minute walk away. Do we really want that additional 5 minutes added to an emergency call that will almost certainly come in?

There was a bay next to where they parked"

Going into or out of a bay will require reversing. Never an easy task in a large vehicle and is going to add mins to their time to grab a drink.

"So I am guessing the majority think the ticket being sqaushed was the right thing?

No. I was a community care worker. If I parked on double yellows to get a drink or do a client call I got a ticket. Where I was working at the time there was no parking. The local pub complained about people parking on the street, so we all got tickets despite having meals delivery or carer on call signs in our cars. Part of the reason I gave up the job as it doesn't pay enough to cover things like that. "

Your job was never to rush to a person who is dying and its your job to try and save them

By *ink Panther.Woman  over a year ago

Preston

Having walked in the shoes of the NWAS they definitely shouldn’t have received a parking ticket. The area covered by NWAS is vast and the crew will have been doing a 12 hour shift. 8 hours without a break is a regular occurrence due to major incidents and ppl being unable to find a plaster. Yes they probably did have a drink with them at the beginning of the 8 hour shift, that will have long since gone. They may have been declined a break at that time and therefore in need of a toilet and refreshments. Working in the community and needing a toilet is absolutely awful. Public toilets aren’t the most hygienic of places and you then have to treat ppl at risk of infection. Working in hot conditions without access to fluid is also not conducive. Would anyone want a dehydrated paramedic or technician arriving to stabilise your condition before transporting you at speed to not necessarily the nearest hospital? I certainly wouldn’t and I’d pay the parking ticket on their behalf

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"So emergency services park in a space which is a 5 minute walk away. Do we really want that additional 5 minutes added to an emergency call that will almost certainly come in?

Going into or out of a bay will require reversing. Never an easy task in a large vehicle and is going to add mins to their time to grab a drink. "

I am sure an ambulance driver is capable of reversing.

Going into or out of a bay will require reversing. Never an easy task in a large vehicle and is going to add mins to their time to grab a drink.

I am sure an ambulance driver is capable of reversing. "

Very slowly, what with only having little visibility with only wing mirrors, huge blind spots.

By *r and Mrs A HornyCouple  over a year ago

coventry

We both believe, the poor guy was in the right, I think I lost 6/7 friends for saying this but the law says they must stick to the law unless it an emergency.

The store have been quick to blame the firm responsible for the parking controls. They in turn have blamed the guy giving the ticket.

If it wasn't on film the firm would be bollocking him for turning a blind eye and the store bollocking the parking company for the same thing.

The guy was just doing his job, probably for shit money and with targets to meet.

No way paramedics on shift should be getting ticketed for this but it's simplistic to blame the warden.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

I personally don't think an issue should have been made out of their parking. But legally they had no excuse and no one can give a factually based argument to the contrary? "

This

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Very slowly, what with only having little visibility with only wing mirrors, huge blind spots."

I am sure an ambulance driver is capable of reversing

Bedford

"

I personally don't think an issue should have been made out of their parking. But legally they had no excuse and no one can give a factually based argument to the contrary?

This

"

Thank goodness the legal system is so well thought out and comprehensive that there’s never any room for interpretation, eh?

I bet 2 paramedics part way through a 10 hour shift doing something that caused no harm was exactly what they had in mind when they came up with that law.

By *hunderstruckMan  over a year ago

Northampton

Shouldn’t have got a ticket

The guy did his job but common sense should prevail .

I let a paramedic jump in front of me In McDonald’s . They didn’t ask but I can afford to wait

Their next call out could be a child or other emergency .

They have a tough enough job

Give them some leeway in these circumstances

"Personally I think you have to be a complete arse of a human being to stick a ticket on an ambulance. "

Not read anything in the thread past this post, but absolutely 100% agree

Forum Mod

O o O oo

" Ultimately they don't have an excuse if that answers your question OP?

I guess we as the public need to decide if we think certain roles are cut a little slack when on day to day business?

If you were the parking attendant would you have booked them? "

No I don't think I would have done

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Can I ask why?

Are you joking???

Dear lord

Not my quote, do keep up ??"

Just seen this and yes you are right, it was you saying "Every minute is precious when trying to save a life"that made me say "If that was applied they wouldn't have gone into the shop at all"

I do apologise for the misquote

I am sure an ambulance driver is capable of reversing. "

Im not saying they cant. Just that its going to take more time than just just being able to pull off

It looks like no one has read the story in full.

The local authority has it legislated that emergency services are exempt from these tickets however private land isn’t covered by that.

Whichever association the private parking companies belong to stick to the spirit of this and don’t issue fines to emergency vehicles.

This particular company is not a part of this association but has said it also adheres to this and the attendant was wrong.

Someone makes a mistake, company apologises. Non news as it’s all dealt with.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I think the emergency services should park where they like when they like if it’s an emergency.

I've had parking tickets. I'm no fan of parking wombles.. some I've appealed as there were circumstances that I believed were mitigating some of those were successful and the ticket cancelled...from what I've read the ticket has been cancelled.

As the crew weren't on an emergency blue lights sirens a blazing I see no reason they shouldn't have obeyed the laws of the land..'the might have been called' well just as easily "they might not have" or find a shop that doesn't have double yellows I'm pretty sure there will be shops without parking restrictions ..

it'd be a whole different story if they'd attended the shop / store as an emergency call and been given a ticket.

By *icentiousCouple  over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Personally I think ambulances should never attend parking wardens, hey that’s just me.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Im not saying they cant. Just that its going to take more time than just just being able to pull off "

I suppose they could reverse in while they have time and no calls, then drive out if they get a call?

Im not saying they cant. Just that its going to take more time than just just being able to pull off

I suppose they could reverse in while they have time and no calls, then drive out if they get a call?"

When people stop breathing, literally every second counts. I know these ambulance guys are sometimes non-stop, and the few seconds extra it may take them to reverse may be the difference between the crew getting a drink or not.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I suppose they could reverse in while they have time and no calls, then drive out if they get a call?

When people stop breathing, literally every second counts. I know these ambulance guys are sometimes non-stop, and the few seconds extra it may take them to reverse may be the difference between the crew getting a drink or not."

They were not on an emergancy

When people stop breathing, literally every second counts. I know these ambulance guys are sometimes non-stop, and the few seconds extra it may take them to reverse may be the difference between the crew getting a drink or not.

They were not on an emergancy "

No, but they're on call - they have a screen in the vehicle which sends them emergency call details, no warning is given and activation is immediate.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I don’t care what they do as long as they get to where they are supposed to go on an emergency bloody quick!

On my first aid course they said not to assume an ambulance would come even if someone rang for one. Or that a defib will appear....

Forum Mod

O o O oo

PS there is a pic of the ambulance reversed into a disabled spot before they moved it to the place they got a ticket.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

No, but they're on call - they have a screen in the vehicle which sends them emergency call details, no warning is given and activation is immediate."

In which case it would be sensible to reverse in a spot to make sure if a call came in they could drive out fast ( they managed to do that when they first got there )

"PS there is a pic of the ambulance reversed into a disabled spot before they moved it to the place they got a ticket.

"

There were two ambulances at the location in the pics I saw. I can't believe people are being picky about 2 human beings who work a long time in their vehicles getting a drink of water in this heat. My friend's an EMT in London and she says they're non-stop a lot of the time and grab any chance of getting a drink when they can.

"

No, but they're on call - they have a screen in the vehicle which sends them emergency call details, no warning is given and activation is immediate.

In which case it would be sensible to reverse in a spot to make sure if a call came in they could drive out fast ( they managed to do that when they first got there )"

Do you mean the disabled spaces? I would imagine there'd be as many, if not more complaints if they did that.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

To be honest it couldn't have been that urgent to get back on the ambulance as they stood arguing the toss with the traffic warden for ages.

I'm kind of with the traffic warden on this one. They weren't on a shout so didn't need to be parked on the double yellow lines.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

In which case it would be sensible to reverse in a spot to make sure if a call came in they could drive out fast ( they managed to do that when they first got there )

Do you mean the disabled spaces? I would imagine there'd be as many, if not more complaints if they did that."

I don't know if anyone complained but they were in the first disabled bay out of the way. Whether the warden would have still given a ticket who knows.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"PS there is a pic of the ambulance reversed into a disabled spot before they moved it to the place they got a ticket.

There were two ambulances at the location in the pics I saw. I can't believe people are being picky about 2 human beings who work a long time in their vehicles getting a drink of water in this heat.."

They are not, they are having a discussion about whether they should get a ticket or not.

There were two ambulances at the location in the pics I saw. I can't believe people are being picky about 2 human beings who work a long time in their vehicles getting a drink of water in this heat..

They are not, they are having a discussion about whether they should get a ticket or not."

Do you understand what's meant by "emergency"? It means immediately, not finish queuing and purchase drinks. If it takes them 5 seconds extra to reverse, that's 5 seconds less to queue and when lives are at stake, 5 seconds can make a difference. Yes, they were having a discussion because they hadn't received a call yet. If they had, they'd be gone immediately and there would be no story.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

There were two ambulances at the location in the pics I saw. I can't believe people are being picky about 2 human beings who work a long time in their vehicles getting a drink of water in this heat..

They are not, they are having a discussion about whether they should get a ticket or not.

Do you understand what's meant by "emergency"? It means immediately, not finish queuing and purchase drinks. If it takes them 5 seconds extra to reverse, that's 5 seconds less to queue and when lives are at stake, 5 seconds can make a difference. Yes, they were having a discussion because they hadn't received a call yet. If they had, they'd be gone immediately and there would be no story."

No I don't understand the word emergancy, I will go and google to see if I can find out.It might take a while because I am a bit thick

You have contradicted yourself a bit though, one minute you say they are on high alert and every second counts and the next say it doesn't matter where they were as they hadn't received a call yet

Forum Mod

O o O oo

See, so thick I can't even type the word right

Do you understand what's meant by "emergency"? It means immediately, not finish queuing and purchase drinks. If it takes them 5 seconds extra to reverse, that's 5 seconds less to queue and when lives are at stake, 5 seconds can make a difference. Yes, they were having a discussion because they hadn't received a call yet. If they had, they'd be gone immediately and there would be no story.

No I don't understand the word emergancy, I will go and google to see if I can find out.It might take a while because I am a bit thick

You have contradicted yourself a bit though, one minute you say they are on high alert and every second counts and the next say it doesn't matter where they were as they hadn't received a call yet"

Where did I say it doesn't matter where they were as they hadn't received a call yet? They were right by the ambulance when having the discussion with the warden so could have activated in a second.

By the same employment laws that apply to everyone the crew are entitled to a meal break to be taken at their main place of work, the ambulance station. They're "stood down" ie are not given calls during the time it takes them to drive to the station, and then 20 mins break. This means that the ambulance can be unavailable for up 30-40 mins total. Because of the good nature of the majority of ambulance staff, they keep the vehicle on the road and grab food/drink whenever they can. It's not always possible to find a food/drink shop that doesn't have yellow lines outside it. Do you really want a medical team turning up to a sick person who aren't properly nourished and hydrated? Lack of food and water can affect the ability of a human to do intricate tasks, and believe me, medical work and saving lives can involve intricate tasks.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Where did I say it doesn't matter where they were as they hadn't received a call yet? They were right by the ambulance when having the discussion with the warden so could have activated in a second."

So what happens if they had gone into the shop for the water?

Don't get me wrong, I don't care what they do, just like I don't care if a policeman parks on doubles to go buy do-nuts, what I find worrying is so many people ( not just on here) who make so many excuses of why they couldn't park 10 foot away where they may not have got a ticket.

So begs the question...what about policeman , do they need to park in a bay or can they do double yellows too.

evesham

"By the same employment laws that apply to everyone the crew are entitled to a meal break to be taken at their main place of work, the ambulance station. They're "stood down" ie are not given calls during the time it takes them to drive to the station, and then 20 mins break. This means that the ambulance can be unavailable for up 30-40 mins total. Because of the good nature of the majority of ambulance staff, they keep the vehicle on the road and grab food/drink whenever they can. It's not always possible to find a food/drink shop that doesn't have yellow lines outside it. Do you really want a medical team turning up to a sick person who aren't properly nourished and hydrated? Lack of food and water can affect the ability of a human to do intricate tasks, and believe me, medical work and saving lives can involve intricate tasks."

So through their own choice they think they are above the law?

I do think people get a bit blinkered by the emergency services. If they were stood down (do we actually know of they were or not?) then why are they above the law?

I'm not sure I but the argument that they don't have time between shifts to properly prepare for their next shift.

The whole of England know its hot out so if you know you're gonna be stuck in a van for hours on end would you not think to pack some drink before you left the house?

I do understand that time is of the essence in an emergency situation but I assume (and it is an assumption based on watching 999 shows) they can either be put on hold for a short time or on delayed call out. I know other emergency services can do this as they do it when attending my place of work.

"

Where did I say it doesn't matter where they were as they hadn't received a call yet? They were right by the ambulance when having the discussion with the warden so could have activated in a second.

So what happens if they had gone into the shop for the water?

Don't get me wrong, I don't care what they do, just like I don't care if a policeman parks on doubles to go buy do-nuts, what I find worrying is so many people ( not just on here) who make so many excuses of why they couldn't park 10 foot away where they may not have got a ticket.

So begs the question...what about policeman , do they need to park in a bay or can they do double yellows too. "

They have personal radios. They would have been in their vehicle within seconds. You're trying to be picky about this, but they are humans. They need food and water, they need to piss and shit but in every other aspect they will respond to an emergency as quick as humanly possible.

"By the same employment laws that apply to everyone the crew are entitled to a meal break to be taken at their main place of work, the ambulance station. They're "stood down" ie are not given calls during the time it takes them to drive to the station, and then 20 mins break. This means that the ambulance can be unavailable for up 30-40 mins total. Because of the good nature of the majority of ambulance staff, they keep the vehicle on the road and grab food/drink whenever they can. It's not always possible to find a food/drink shop that doesn't have yellow lines outside it. Do you really want a medical team turning up to a sick person who aren't properly nourished and hydrated? Lack of food and water can affect the ability of a human to do intricate tasks, and believe me, medical work and saving lives can involve intricate tasks.

I do think people get a bit blinkered by the emergency services. If they were stood down (do we actually know of they were or not?) then why are they above the law?

I'm not sure I but the argument that they don't have time between shifts to properly prepare for their next shift.

The whole of England know its hot out so if you know you're gonna be stuck in a van for hours on end would you not think to pack some drink before you left the house?

I do understand that time is of the essence in an emergency situation but I assume (and it is an assumption based on watching 999 shows) they can either be put on hold for a short time or on delayed call out. I know other emergency services can do this as they do it when attending my place of work. "

An ambulance is a clinical treatment area, with cupboards stuffed with medical kit. How much space do you think there is on one for all the food and drink you think they should carry?

By *oodnitegirlWoman  over a year ago

Yorkshire

‘Get a donut’ implies you are just taking the mickey.

Some replies on this thread are absolutely making me froth!... It’s the hottest time of the year, they are driving at speed in a big tin can inbetween attending to patients for 12 (more like 14) long hours... they are likely doing without an actual break and eating on the go.

I don’t know how many of you have done a 12 hour shift covered In other people’s bodily fluids, going without a wee or a cup of tea but those that work in healthcare will know that is no exaggeration.

Recently a colleague of mine died on her drive home after working 15 hours with no break, so sorry if it’s touched a bit of a nerve.

evesham

"By the same employment laws that apply to everyone the crew are entitled to a meal break to be taken at their main place of work, the ambulance station. They're "stood down" ie are not given calls during the time it takes them to drive to the station, and then 20 mins break. This means that the ambulance can be unavailable for up 30-40 mins total. Because of the good nature of the majority of ambulance staff, they keep the vehicle on the road and grab food/drink whenever they can. It's not always possible to find a food/drink shop that doesn't have yellow lines outside it. Do you really want a medical team turning up to a sick person who aren't properly nourished and hydrated? Lack of food and water can affect the ability of a human to do intricate tasks, and believe me, medical work and saving lives can involve intricate tasks.

I do understand that time is of the essence in an emergency situation but I assume (and it is an assumption based on watching 999 shows) they can either be put on hold for a short time or on delayed call out. I know other emergency services can do this as they do it when attending my place of work.

An ambulance is a clinical treatment area, with cupboards stuffed with medical kit. How much space do you think there is on one for all the food and drink you think they should carry?"

Enough space in the cab for them to store a couple of bottles of water and a sandwich or two I'd wager. I'll take a peak inside next time one comes to work.

Like I said, I think the warden was within his right to give the ticket as technically they are not above the law. However most councils will overturn contested tickets for emergency vehicles as has been done in this case I believe.

evesham

And only the back is a clinical treatment area, not the cab.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

So begs the question...what about policeman , do they need to park in a bay or can they do double yellows too.

They have personal radios. They would have been in their vehicle within seconds. You're trying to be picky about this, but they are humans. They need food and water, they need to piss and shit but in every other aspect they will respond to an emergency as quick as humanly possible."

I am joining in a debate about the subject of parking in a car park and not about someone needing a drink, because it is different view than yours doesn't make it picky.

You are saying time is of the essence as to why they can't park in a bay.

My point is parking in a bay is not going to take any much longer than parking on double yellows and arguing with an attendant.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Enough space in the cab for them to store a couple of bottles of water and a sandwich or two I'd wager. I'll take a peak inside next time one comes to work.

. "

It would get a bit warm in this weather though so they would still need more through the day

"I think the emergency services should park where they like when they like if it’s an emergency. "

evesham

"

It would get a bit warm in this weather though so they would still need more through the day "

Yeah I guess it would but I think people are being rathwr alarmist with all these coiled spring analogies. As you say, if it truly were a case of time being the essence then they wouldn't leave the cab but they do, they have to. They don't have to break the law in doing so.

I am not saying emergency services don't deserve breaks or the opportunity to buy food, of course they do. Ands I understand that due to the nature of their work their break times are irregular.

evesham

"I think the emergency services should park where they like when they like if it’s an emergency. "

Exactly.... In an emergency situation. This was not.

"And only the back is a clinical treatment area, not the cab."

That depends on whether the vehicle is the walk-through type or not. But you'd prefer them to be sat in the cab, during the hottest days of the year grabbing a drink when they can. Have you absolutely no compassion, they're human beings FFS. They would save your life in a literal heartbeat, and you're being picky about them having a drink. Perhaps they should have just dehydrated and then called their own emergency to satisfy you? You seriously need to get some humanity lessons.

By *irtySekretsCouple  over a year ago

Filthy Desires Upon Trent

They should not of been ticketed.

They were still on call. They should be allowed to get a quick drink and a sarnie.

The world has gone fucking bonkers. The liberal PC brigade have fucked this country.

Ffs

"They should not of been ticketed.

They were still on call. They should be allowed to get a quick drink and a sarnie.

The world has gone fucking bonkers. The liberal PC brigade have fucked this country.

Ffs "

Compassion is seriously lacking here - I find it quite hard to comprehend it.

I don't care where they park.

It should be waived for any emergency service esp if hydrating in this heat the ticket guy needs a slep for having the balls

My mate's brother used to work as a conductor on the buses and got the driver to stop outside his mum's house (my mate and I were inside playing at the time), to make a dash for the loo.

Id give the ticket warden a ticket for being a jobsworth cock

By *irtySekretsCouple  over a year ago

Filthy Desires Upon Trent

Two lines. Painted yellow vs amazing people who work long hours for a relatively shit salary. Saving lives. Putting themselves in danger.

Being treated like Shit by the ever increasing cancer this country has been infested by, ie Scutters.

And some money making parasite company giving out tickets for just that making money. Not about Parking. Makes my fucking blood boil.

I’ve not Served this country for 28 years for those cunts to screw people. Rant Over

By *untime2Man  over a year ago

Lauder

"‘Get a donut’ implies you are just taking the mickey.

Some replies on this thread are absolutely making me froth!... It’s the hottest time of the year, they are driving at speed in a big tin can inbetween attending to patients for 12 (more like 14) long hours... they are likely doing without an actual break and eating on the go.

I don’t know how many of you have done a 12 hour shift covered In other people’s bodily fluids, going without a wee or a cup of tea but those that work in healthcare will know that is no exaggeration.

Recently a colleague of mine died on her drive home after working 15 hours with no break, so sorry if it’s touched a bit of a nerve.

"

Chin up, beautiful. You’re the hardest working little ‘ambulance driver’ I know xxx

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

Merseyside

[Removed by poster at 25/07/18 23:09:42]

There are thousands of laws that lots of people break all the time - being d*unk in a pub, swearing on the street, having car keys in your pocket whilst d*unk, speeding, laughing

- this country has discretion otherwise the public’s consent would disappear and the country would come to a halt!

At least this debate is allowed, but if you were in the USA the respect for emergancy services is such that the ticket would have never been issued in the first place!

All arguments here are valid, but discretion is required every second of every day!

I’m with the guy that said they’d pay the ticket on their behalf!

Pointless story!

"

Do you mean the disabled spaces? I would imagine there'd be as many, if not more complaints if they did that.

I don't know if anyone complained but they were in the first disabled bay out of the way. Whether the warden would have still given a ticket who knows. "

He didn’t

By *ky19Man  over a year ago

Plymouth

I agree with the discretion approach.

The lack of compassion from some amazes me.

Sometimes right and wrong go further than some rules, such as parking.

I often see police cars parked on double yellows without emergency, yet I still give them a break out of respect for what they do. Also because they are pretty sound around here and have given me leeway in the past.

Bottom line: For me emergency services can park where they want when they want, emergency or not!

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

In my job role, in Night management, one of my considerations on shift is to offer our premises for Emergency Services Personnel for toilet breaks or a cuppa through the night.

Some do take up on the offer and come in for a cuppa; paramedics do a 12 hour shift day or night and just having that short break makes all the difference to them. At times they might not get a break for 8, 9 even 10 Hours straight through.

I have the highest regard for police and paramedic personnel. Even last December I needed an Ambulance called in as I was paralysed in bed in agony & literally couldn't move. It was 4 hrs before a crew was available, they were that busy!

I don't begrudge them taking a few minutes break at any time. They are human beings, they are entitled to a break to energise themselves in readiness for their next patient and whether they are in a parking space, on double yellow lines or wherever, as long as they aren't causing an obstruction or danger to others, I'd disagree highly over any officious tw*t who dared to issue a ticket.

Lets hope his bosses take him in to teach him not to be a prize winning pillock and use his brain cell a bit better in future!

I also hope he never needs emergency services personnel rushing to his aid in future!

"

Can I ask why?

Potentially yes"

Leaving the ambulance could potentially stop them saving lives. Most people can't just go and buy a drink when they feel like it they need to take their lunch with them.

Or at the very least send one person in while the other stays in the ambulance to listen for a call out.

By *FFB69Woman  over a year ago

Torfaen/Gwent

"

Can I ask why?

Are you joking???

Dear lord

Or ask questions for the debate? Maybe ignore the thread if you are not happy"

Sorry but it definitely comes across like you're deliberately trying to cause an issue and twist people's words. That's not having a debate.

If it were someone else leaving inflammatory comments I wonder if they'd be removed.

"

Can I ask why?

Yes exactly! Let's face it they are not going to stop giving CPR with a hey sorry mate be back in an hour after my lunch break! They work long hours in difficult circumstances looking after others, they need to look after themselves in order to do that.

Torfaen/Gwent

They're also not breaking the law by parking on double yellows.

Emergency vehicles are exempt and allowed to park on double yellows. Regardless of whether they're on an emergency call or not. Because while in work they are always "on call"

They save time by parking at the front of the store where they can just run in and grab a drink. They can't physically fit into one bay and you can gaurante you'd have the same people moaning about them parking across two bays or parking in a disabled space. You'd also likely get some idiot parking next to them so they can't get back in the car.

How is this even up for discussion? They work 12-14 hour days. With few if any breaks, save lives for shitty pay. And people are begrudging them trying to managed their time as efficiently as possible? Where I work we have a bay marked specifically for emergency vehicles and you can bet your life 90% of the time it's never an emergency vehicle parked there. Wish we could give them tickets but I'm sure the same people would whine about that too

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

Was this the same warden who a few years ago, ticketed a hearse stopped outside a church having just delivered the coffin for a funeral taking place there and then at the church?

Or the warden who slapped a ticket on a bus in a marked Bus Stop as it stood at a terminus for a few minutes before resuming its return journey?

Some wardens obviously have no grey matter whatsoever between their ears!

"

Can I ask why?

Due to infection control restrictions we are not allowed to store food in ths vehicle,we are only allowed to collect food to eat straight away or take it to our station.

Hitchin

"They're also not breaking the law by parking on double yellows.

Emergency vehicles are exempt and allowed to park on double yellows. Regardless of whether they're on an emergency call or not. Because while in work they are always "on call"

They save time by parking at the front of the store where they can just run in and grab a drink. They can't physically fit into one bay and you can gaurante you'd have the same people moaning about them parking across two bays or parking in a disabled space. You'd also likely get some idiot parking next to them so they can't get back in the car.

How is this even up for discussion? They work 12-14 hour days. With few if any breaks, save lives for shitty pay. And people are begrudging them trying to managed their time as efficiently as possible? Where I work we have a bay marked specifically for emergency vehicles and you can bet your life 90% of the time it's never an emergency vehicle parked there. Wish we could give them tickets but I'm sure the same people would whine about that too "

We get 1 x 30 min break in our 12hr shift.

And sometimes we don’t even get that.

And sometimes we can go up to 12hrs without even getting a chance for a drink never mind stop for food.

Hitchin

"And sometimes we can go up to 12hrs without even getting a chance for a drink never mind stop for food."

Yep. It’s annoying that so many people don’t actually understand what we have to endure in order to do this job.

For example most of us are struggling to sleep during the day due to the heat and then have to get up and do a full night shift. Currently half way through my night shift and I’m knackered.

I might sacrifice my food for a nap instead

By *ky19Man  over a year ago

Plymouth

Keep up the good work, a lot of us here appreciate you

By *heislanderMan  over a year ago

cheshunt

All the warden was worried about was getting his little bonus, do people not realise the magnificent work our emergency services do ? I don’t understand people saying they shouldn’t be above the law, if you needed an ambulance would you not want it to arrive as soon as possible or would you be happy to wait because they’re on an official break. I’d hazard a guess that the warden hadn’t worked 8hrs without a break

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

Two things, people keep mentioning the law of the land.

This is private property, so parking is nothing to do with the local authority.

People in jobs like this are often not taught about discretion.

Working in London, we often have road closures due to events.

Early one morning they started blocking the roads. I tried to get from a closed road into an open road with authority from the event organisers but the guy had been told not to move the cones, eventually a supervisor came over and explained that if vehicles had the correct authorisation they could come and go unhindered...

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"And sometimes we can go up to 12hrs without even getting a chance for a drink never mind stop for food."

Surely that's why people invented sandwiches and flasks innit

evesham

[Removed by poster at 26/07/18 06:40:54]

Essex.

"All the warden was worried about was getting his little bonus, do people not realise the magnificent work our emergency services do ? I don’t understand people saying they shouldn’t be above the law, if you needed an ambulance would you not want it to arrive as soon as possible or would you be happy to wait because they’re on an official break. I’d hazard a guess that the warden hadn’t worked 8hrs without a break

It is ridiculous to argue that they are the only ambulance in the area abd that no emergencies could be responded to because they needed a drink. Their control centre know what each and every ambulance is up to so that emergencies don't go unanswered "

There is often a shortage of ambulance/crews, they could also be the closest crew.

Be honest, if a close family member was dying in front of you, would you like to hear "We have a crew 2 minutes away but they are on a break, so we are sending another crew, they will be with you in about 15 minutes..."

Still a non story

evesham

"All the warden was worried about was getting his little bonus, do people not realise the magnificent work our emergency services do ? I don’t understand people saying they shouldn’t be above the law, if you needed an ambulance would you not want it to arrive as soon as possible or would you be happy to wait because they’re on an official break. I’d hazard a guess that the warden hadn’t worked 8hrs without a break

It is ridiculous to argue that they are the only ambulance in the area abd that no emergencies could be responded to because they needed a drink. Their control centre know what each and every ambulance is up to so that emergencies don't go unanswered

There is often a shortage of ambulance/crews, they could also be the closest crew.

Be honest, if a close family member was dying in front of you, would you like to hear "We have a crew 2 minutes away but they are on a break, so we are sending another crew, they will be with you in about 15 minutes..." "

Again.... Ridiculous, because they wouldn't say that would they. They would dispatch the nearest available crew.

Someone has already said that they can go of duty for a break but that many don't. I'm guessing they don't all go off at one time leaving their area ambulanceless.

Your comment makes it sound as if you don't think they are entitled to a break at all.

Essex.

It is ridiculous to argue that they are the only ambulance in the area abd that no emergencies could be responded to because they needed a drink. Their control centre know what each and every ambulance is up to so that emergencies don't go unanswered

Be honest, if a close family member was dying in front of you, would you like to hear "We have a crew 2 minutes away but they are on a break, so we are sending another crew, they will be with you in about 15 minutes..."

Again.... Ridiculous, because they wouldn't say that would they. They would dispatch the nearest available crew.

Someone has already said that they can go of duty for a break but that many don't. I'm guessing they don't all go off at one time leaving their area ambulanceless.

Your comment makes it sound as if you don't think they are entitled to a break at all. "

Obviously they wouldn't say it but you wouldn't be happy if you found out afterwards.

Again you have totally missed the point.

Emergency service personnel often make a failing systtem work by going above and beyond.

I think they should be cut some slack...

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"

When I leave my house I carry a drink and fan in this weather. I live in London, there are shops on every street corner so I'm unlikely to dehydrate yet still I'm prepared.

So it's a little worrying if someone in a profession that could save my life isn't prepared with regards their own wellbeing.

Some professions assume they're exempt. That said, would I have ticketed an ambulance...probably not.

This is jolly silly thread.

If the ambulance crew were so busy and needed to save lives then at least one of them needed to be in the ambulance to know a life needed saving. And then they would not have got a parking charge.

Getting into the media will cause the crew involved much more hassle than asking the supermarket to drop the parking charge quietly. But moment of fame and quiet news days can get people into a bit of a frenzy.

I got a parking charge in the NHS car park when my appointment over ran and I was 10 minutes over the hour I paid for. I asked the NHS to wave it as they were at fault not keeping to schedule, but apparently they couldn't do that.

London

"

Can I ask why?

By *eeBee67Man  over a year ago

Masked and Distant

They need to get the ticket guy round our local "every little helps" emporium.

Certain sections of community seem to think the double yellows right in front of main entrance means...park your high power leased VW golf here while you wait for your mate to go shopping.

Leave the ambulance alone ffs.

London

"Paramedics hardly get time for a break ,you wouldnt want them to come to dear old granny and collapse with dehydration after working 8hrs with out a drink or food ,try wearing there uniform and rubber gloves and heavy shoes in this heat ,.some people have no idea whats it like to work on the front line in this heat ,i done it for 14 years on a ward were we were not aloud to have a cold drink unless it was our break ,and no air conditioning on the ward ,and windows that hardly opened and wearing plastic aprons and gloves ..try working like that befor you start moaning.... "

There are jobs I couldn't/wouldn't do because I know I couldn't hack it: and I salute those who can/choose to. However, it is a choice.

London

"This is jolly silly thread.

If the ambulance crew were so busy and needed to save lives then at least one of them needed to be in the ambulance to know a life needed saving. And then they would not have got a parking charge.

Getting into the media will cause the crew involved much more hassle than asking the supermarket to drop the parking charge quietly. But moment of fame and quiet news days can get people into a bit of a frenzy.

I got a parking charge in the NHS car park when my appointment over ran and I was 10 minutes over the hour I paid for. I asked the NHS to wave it as they were at fault not keeping to schedule, but apparently they couldn't do that.

"

Agree with you.

Torfaen/Gwent

"This is jolly silly thread.

"

Yes. Because it was the paramedic who filmed it and put it online and not a member of the public.

You realise they have radios on them yes?

Jolly silly comment by someone who doesn't appear to be in possession of all the facts, if you ask me.

"

Can I ask why?

But they know what the job entails so why not take food and drink on shift with them?

"

How long can you store food and drink in an ambulance when working a 12 hour shift? Maybe they stopped so they could use the toilet too?

I really think some people are missing the point that minutes saves lives.

"And sometimes we can go up to 12hrs without even getting a chance for a drink never mind stop for food.

Surely that's why people invented sandwiches and flasks innit "

That is going to sit in a hot ambulance for 12 hours.. right.

"

Can I ask why?

But they know what the job entails so why not take food and drink on shift with them? Due to infection control restrictions we are not allowed to store food in ths vehicle,we are only allowed to collect food to eat straight away or take it to our station."

And there you have it people..

"Yes. Because it was the paramedic who filmed it and put it online and not a member of the public.

Jolly silly comment by someone who doesn't appear to be in possession of all the facts, if you ask me. "

Agreed I don't have all the facts, but then neither do any of the other posters on the thread.

I am aware that Ambulances have radios in them. Are you aware that radios don't work unless there are ears to listen to them?

I assume the paramedic who was filming it was not able to drive the ambulance and avoid the ticket? Don't know that for sure of course, as I don't have all the facts..

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Sorry but it definitely comes across like you're deliberately trying to cause an issue and twist people's words. That's not having a debate.

If it were someone else leaving inflammatory comments I wonder if they'd be removed. "

I didn't. The words were there. My questions started a good ( for the most part ) discussion with most people joining in.

If you think me starting a thread asking questions (and up to that point not giving me view on it( is against site rules then please report and it will be passed to Admin

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Yes. Because it was the paramedic who filmed it and put it online and not a member of the public.

Jolly silly comment by someone who doesn't appear to be in possession of all the facts, if you ask me.

Agreed I don't have all the facts, but then neither do any of the other posters on the thread.

I am aware that Ambulances have radios in them. Are you aware that radios don't work unless there are ears to listen to them?

I assume the paramedic who was filming it was not able to drive the ambulance and avoid the ticket? Don't know that for sure of course, as I don't have all the facts.. "

A member of the public filmed it

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Ok can people please remember it is just a discussion, if you feel the need to attack and abuse people for their views please read the forum summary

Forum Rules

In summary: If you treat other people with respect, you can't go far wrong. Don't forget that the forums are meant to be fun, if you find yourself fuming and writing long angry messages you're probably best taking a break from it.

"

Can I ask why?

Are you joking???

Dear lord

Or ask questions for the debate? Maybe ignore the thread if you are not happy

If it were someone else leaving inflammatory comments I wonder if they'd be removed. "

I note you suggested to report to admin?

I’m not sure that would help would it?

And I’d suggest you know exactly what you’re doing.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

If you have a problem with any of my posts report them. Then drop it please

Emergency vehicles when responding proceed through red lights and when appropriate speed to get to the emergency a sap ...

When they're not responding to an emergency they obey the road signs speed limits and from what I've seen this morning red lights as well... if the guys that are saying this time saved by parking in contravention of the parking restrictions you'd happily let emergency vehicles that aren't responding to an emergency speed run red lights etc.. cos that'd save them time as well.

"Emergency vehicles when responding proceed through red lights and when appropriate speed to get to the emergency a sap ...

When they're not responding to an emergency they obey the road signs speed limits and from what I've seen this morning red lights as well... if the guys that are saying this time saved by parking in contravention of the parking restrictions you'd happily let emergency vehicles that aren't responding to an emergency speed run red lights etc.. cos that'd save them time as well."

The fundamental difference is Parking on double yellows won’t harm anyone

They broke the law simples it's cut and dry, they got away with it because they are emergency services that's the perk