FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Buying a used car

Buying a used car

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I’m hoping one of you lovely lot can help me, im going with my dad later to look at some used cars, I’ve got £2000 to spend so not a huge amount and I only drive automatics. Looking for a bigger family car.

I’ve had some dud ones and my dad isn’t the best judge, what should I be asking, what should I be looking for and anything to avoid please!

Many thanks

Geeky x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'd Google it. Lots of advice on respected car websites. Don't forget you can check previous MOTs online using the car reg. Good idea to check previous advisories and find out if they've been sorted.

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Don't know if they still do but the AA/RAC used to offer a service where they'd check a used car over for you and advise on roadworthiness/any glaring issues etc - might be worth checking out.

Doesn't offer any guarantees of course but might steer you clear of a dud.

Do not buy anything French as the automatic gearboxes are shite and you'll only buy trouble for that money. Honda's are a good reliable car and the older civics are a decent size.

"Do not buy anything French as the automatic gearboxes are shite and you'll only buy trouble for that money. Honda's are a good reliable car and the older civics are a decent size. "

I had a Picasso for a couple of years, it was over 15 years old and the dash computer went nuts towards the end, my dad has a grand version and it trying to persuade me to get one like his but I want to steer clear of them as I don’t like the speedo etc in the middle and of course the computer issue.

Geeky x

I've only got an automatic licence too and my budget has always been around the £500 mark. I've had some really awful cars but I think you'll find something quite easily for that.

As others have said french gearboxes are awful. I've never had a good one, even when I bought almost new.

Currently I'm in an 18 year old VW beetle. Had a few issues to fix but hoping to get a couple of years from him.

The MOT check is handy and definitely test drive.

I would be inclined to look at dealerships rather than a private sale. At least you will get a guarantee and somewhere to fall back on if something does go wrong. Maybe ask your local mechanic to go along with you when you've chosen a likely car. He may charge a fee, but it's worth it for expert advice.

My son went all the way to a Birmingham dealer for his car, beautiful Honda Civic type R in Cosmic Grey, he's had it over 6 months now and really happy with it.

Love Hondas. I drive a Fabia and it's the best car i've ever owned.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

You'll probably know that automatics always gets less mileage, so keep that in mind and have a google at any you find. It is relatively easy - Model, year, auto + mpg into google should see some results.

"I've only got an automatic licence too and my budget has always been around the £500 mark. I've had some really awful cars but I think you'll find something quite easily for that.

As others have said french gearboxes are awful. I've never had a good one, even when I bought almost new.

Currently I'm in an 18 year old VW beetle. Had a few issues to fix but hoping to get a couple of years from him.

The MOT check is handy and definitely test drive. "

Do people look at you funny when you say you only drive automatics? I get the nose screwed up every time lol.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

- Meant to say, some are better than others.

"I’m hoping one of you lovely lot can help me, im going with my dad later to look at some used cars, I’ve got £2000 to spend so not a huge amount and I only drive automatics. Looking for a bigger family car.

I’ve had some dud ones and my dad isn’t the best judge, what should I be asking, what should I be looking for and anything to avoid please!

Many thanks

Geeky x"

Parker's car guide and Honest John (proffessional journalist)

"Do not buy anything French as the automatic gearboxes are shite and you'll only buy trouble for that money. Honda's are a good reliable car and the older civics are a decent size.

I had a Picasso for a couple of years, it was over 15 years old and the dash computer went nuts towards the end, my dad has a grand version and it trying to persuade me to get one like his but I want to steer clear of them as I don’t like the speedo etc in the middle and of course the computer issue.

Geeky x"

I worked for Citroen for years and the Picasso's are a good car but electrics are poor.

"I've only got an automatic licence too and my budget has always been around the £500 mark. I've had some really awful cars but I think you'll find something quite easily for that.

Do people look at you funny when you say you only drive automatics? I get the nose screwed up every time lol."

Yes then I end up having to almost defend my choice!

I was very pregnant and too emotional for gears lol

In general I've learnt that bigger automatics tend to be better. I'd avoid anything under a 1.6 now.

By *angtidy42Couple  over a year ago

Redditch

A quick way to check the engine is to check the tip stick and the cap of the expansion tank if the oil runs off the dipstick very quickly then there is a possibility of fuel getting into the oil and if there is a milkshake like substance on the inside of the cap then there is coolant and oil being mixed together walk away quickly.

Get a Honda, Mazda or a Toyota if you don’t know about cars.. you will thank me every time you drive past a garage

By *albec26Man  over a year ago

Great Yarmouth

With the size of our family we needed a people carrier dont OP if thats what youre looking for? We have had them all Renault, Ford.... But our Toyota has to be the best car around for reliability, agree with poster above if anything buy either Honda Toyota or mazda you wont go wrong!!

"With the size of our family we needed a people carrier dont OP if thats what youre looking for? We have had them all Renault, Ford.... But our Toyota has to be the best car around for reliability, agree with poster above if anything buy either Honda Toyota or mazda you wont go wrong!! "

Beautiful boobs btw

Thank you all for your help!! Certainly got a bit more to look for!! Wish me luck lol.

Geeky x

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Don't buy a diesel.

"Don't buy a diesel."

Why not?

By *ky19Man  over a year ago

Plymouth

Some tips I've learned, often the hard way:

If the wheels have locking nuts, do make sure they provide the key to take them off.

Check that one of the tyres isn't flat and that the boot can actually open and isn't locked due to faulty electrics. Thankfully I noticed these before driving off from A5 cars in Dunstable, or they wouldn't have taken responsibility for it.

On the subject, make sure all the doors actually lock when you lock the car (*not lick the car, autocorrect)!

Check the spare tyre is there, which is why I tried to get in the boot in the first place.

Don't buy from A5 cars in Dunstable.

Do check there is any coolant and it's not bone dry empty!!! Also check it again sometime after filling as I had a coolant leak and it ran dry! Check oil and stuff cos this isn't always as it should be, as you'd expect.

Get a spare key from them.

Check the car has a rear window wiper! Maybe check they're not worn down to the metal so the window gets scored which is a MOT fail and a new windscreen.

Check the windscreen fluid doesn't have milk in it, which happened to someone else.

That's off the top of my head for now.

And oh yeah, people keep recommending to me Honda or Toyota too.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?"

Not a good long term idea but ok if it's only short term due to possible upcoming legislation.

I drive a diesel auto, it's great. I get about 60 to the gallon on a long run. I won't get another one though.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Op for reliability in an auto Vauxhall Astra are great. Otherwise Japanese or Korean are pretty good.

"Some tips I've learned, often the hard way:

If the wheels have locking nuts, do make sure they provide the key to take them off.

Check that one of the tyres isn't flat and that the boot can actually open and isn't locked due to faulty electrics. Thankfully I noticed these before driving off from A5 cars in Dunstable, or they wouldn't have taken responsibility for it.

On the subject, make sure all the doors actually lock when you lock the car (*not lick the car, autocorrect)!

Check the spare tyre is there, which is why I tried to get in the boot in the first place.

Do check there is any coolant and it's not bone dry empty!!! Also check it again sometime after filling as I had a coolant leak and it ran dry! Check oil and stuff cos this isn't always as it should be, as you'd expect.

Check the car has a rear window wiper! Maybe check they're not worn down to the metal so the window gets scored which is a MOT fail and a new windscreen.

Check the windscreen fluid doesn't have milk in it, which happened to someone else.

And oh yeah, people keep recommending to me Honda or Toyota too."

What car did you buy if you don’t mind me asking?

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?

Not a good long term idea but ok if it's only short term due to possible upcoming legislation.

I drive a diesel auto, it's great. I get about 60 to the gallon on a long run. I won't get another one though.

"

Euro 6 diesels are fine but diesels aren’t good for environment as we learn. Is yours Euro6 diesel?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?

Euro 6 diesels are fine but diesels aren’t good for environment as we learn. Is yours Euro6 diesel?"

It meets Euro 6 criteria.

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?

Euro 6 diesels are fine but diesels aren’t good for environment as we learn. Is yours Euro6 diesel?

It meets Euro 6 criteria."

You are fine then

By *ky19Man  over a year ago

Plymouth

"Some tips I've learned, often the hard way:

And oh yeah, people keep recommending to me Honda or Toyota too.

What car did you buy if you don’t mind me asking? "

Hey it's OK. No locking wheel but key was 2004 Seat Leon. Bought from the same guy who sold the milk car to another guy at work.

Faulty electrics and flat tyre was Vauxhall Vectra from Dunstable. Also the battery failed sometime after, having been told it was new. RAC guy said it was new to the car, but not new!

The no coolant car was a Suzuki Swift which was a dangerous little box. It was a bad car but also I don't like Suzuki's anyway now in general.

No rear wiper or spare key is my current 2004 Astra, but wipers worn down was on my first car which was my fault.

By *orkie321bWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

[Removed by poster at 28/04/18 10:58:02]

Nottingham

Do people look at you funny when you say you only drive automatics? I get the nose screwed up every time lol."

I definitely get funny looks when I say I passed my test in an auto and can't drive a manual. I always end up explaining my reasons. I have sciatica in my left leg which always flares up when I'm sitting down and has happened a few times when driving so I'm not safe to drive a manual. My driving examiner asked me why when he gave me my certificate after I passed. He commented "I knew it was for a valid reason and not just because you thought it would be easier to drive. Thank you for being sensible about your physical limitations, not everyone is."

The biggest problem with used automatics is often gearbox issues which are very expensive to fix. My first car was a Mercedes A140 which ended up at the scrapyard within weeks because of a dodgy gearbox. After this I was advised by a couple of mechanics to look for a Japanese car or a ford, to steer clear of French cars and that the corsa automatic was dreadful.

I had a ford focus for a few years before it died, it was a pretty good investment costing only £350. I now have a chevrolet tacuma, another banger that only cost £450 and has been very good so far.

I have noticed in my area it is difficult to find used automatics for sale and haven't bought anything locally. I have always had to go a bit further afield, up to 100 miles away.

Do people look at you funny when you say you only drive automatics? I get the nose screwed up every time lol.

I definitely get funny looks when I say I passed my test in an auto and can't drive a manual. I always end up explaining my reasons. I have sciatica in my left leg which always flares up when I'm sitting down and has happened a few times when driving so I'm not safe to drive a manual. My driving examiner asked me why when he gave me my certificate after I passed. He commented "I knew it was for a valid reason and not just because you thought it would be easier to drive. Thank you for being sensible about your physical limitations, not everyone is."

The biggest problem with used automatics is often gearbox issues which are very expensive to fix. My first car was a Mercedes A140 which ended up at the scrapyard within weeks because of a dodgy gearbox. After this I was advised by a couple of mechanics to look for a Japanese car or a ford, to steer clear of French cars and that the corsa automatic was dreadful.

I had a ford focus for a few years before it died, it was a pretty good investment costing only £350. I now have a chevrolet tacuma, another banger that only cost £450 and has been very good so far.

I have noticed in my area it is difficult to find used automatics for sale and haven't bought anything locally. I have always had to go a bit further afield, up to 100 miles away."

automatic salons are fine.. for some reason the auto box doesn’t work good with small cars

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?

You are fine then "

I know

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?

You are fine then

I know "

What car is it?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Op up to date and consistent service history is a good indicator especially if it's main dealer is a good indicator that a car's been looked after. I would also avoid a car with too many electrics unless you have the stuff to check at home it can cost a lot of money to get warning lights checked.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?

You are fine then

I know

What car is it? "

A very fast one

[Removed by poster at 28/04/18 11:11:12]

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?

You are fine then

I know

What car is it?

A very fast one "

BMW

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?

You are fine then

I know

What car is it?

A very fast one

BMW "

No.

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?

You are fine then

I know

What car is it?

A very fast one

BMW

No.

"

Audi

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?

You are fine then

I know

What car is it?

A very fast one

BMW

No.

Audi"

There aren't many of them around. It's not German. I'm not about to out myself on here.

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?

You are fine then

I know

What car is it?

A very fast one

BMW

No.

Audi

There aren't many of them around. It's not German. I'm not about to out myself on here. "

I need a hint lol

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?

You are fine then

I know

What car is it?

A very fast one

BMW

No.

Audi

There aren't many of them around. It's not German. I'm not about to out myself on here.

I need a hint lol"

Ok. It's got four wheels, five if you count the steering wheel and a badge on the front. It's a bone shakingly uncomfortable ride owing to the sports suspension.

The best automatic I had was a Ford Focus, I had it 10 years (from second hand) and it was still going strong when I sold it last year. Just remember you pay extra for automatics as good second hand automatics are sought after

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?

You are fine then

I know

What car is it?

A very fast one

BMW

No.

Audi

I need a hint lol

Ok. It's got four wheels, five if you count the steering wheel and a badge on the front. It's a bone shakingly uncomfortable ride owing to the sports suspension."

Dacia?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?

You are fine then

I know

What car is it?

A very fast one

BMW

No.

Audi

I need a hint lol

Ok. It's got four wheels, five if you count the steering wheel and a badge on the front. It's a bone shakingly uncomfortable ride owing to the sports suspension.

Dacia? "

Darn guessed it. I got the Duster because it's such a pretty name and I can get all my shopping in the back

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?

You are fine then

I know

What car is it?

A very fast one

BMW

No.

Audi

I need a hint lol

Dacia?

Darn guessed it. I got the Duster because it's such a pretty name and I can get all my shopping in the back "

Haha yay!! Get in lol.. why did you say a fast one lol?! I bet it says Duster everywhere on the car in case you forget what car you bought

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?

You are fine then

I know

What car is it?

A very fast one

BMW

No.

Audi

I need a hint lol

Dacia?

Darn guessed it. I got the Duster because it's such a pretty name and I can get all my shopping in the back

Haha yay!! Get in lol.. why did you say a fast one lol?! I bet it says Duster everywhere on the car in case you forget what car you bought "

I sailed it was fast because I wanted to throw you off the scent of assuming all 61 year old women will be conforming to type.

I have a little note on my dash with the reg number, make and model on it in case a nice policeman stops me when I'm doing 20 in a 60 limit.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

*said

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?

You are fine then

I know

What car is it?

A very fast one

BMW

No.

Audi

I need a hint lol

Dacia?

Haha yay!! Get in lol.. why did you say a fast one lol?! I bet it says Duster everywhere on the car in case you forget what car you bought

I sailed it was fast because I wanted to throw you off the scent of assuming all 61 year old women will be conforming to type.

I have a little note on my dash with the reg number, make and model on it in case a nice policeman stops me when I'm doing 20 in a 60 limit. "

Haha fair enough.. will you buy the same car again or any Dacia?

Nottingham

"The best automatic I had was a Ford Focus, I had it 10 years (from second hand) and it was still going strong when I sold it last year. Just remember you pay extra for automatics as good second hand automatics are sought after "

On the plus side they hold their value well too. In a couple of years a £2000 manual will only be worth about £6-800 but an auto will be more like £1200.

The trouble with post like this, is all the conflicting advice you will receive, so in the end it will probably make your choice even harder ..I am a mechanic of over 30 years and I tend never to give advice on buying cars especially with a limited budget ..most cars have certain common faults and traights .. best to ask family and frends and see what they drive ..the only advice I will give you is,go for a mainstream model because parts will be common and repair costs relatively low compared to something more unusually

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?

You are fine then

I know

What car is it?

A very fast one

BMW

No.

Audi

I need a hint lol

Dacia?

I have a little note on my dash with the reg number, make and model on it in case a nice policeman stops me when I'm doing 20 in a 60 limit.

Haha fair enough.. will you buy the same car again or any Dacia? "

Seriously, I wouldn't buy the same car I drive now for a couple of reasons. The sports suspension is genuinely uncomfortable at low speed especially with the number of potholes around and spares etc can be very expensive.

I will always have a fast, sporty type car though, as long as my hips allow me to get in the driving seat . It's highly unlikely that I will ever be seen behind the wheel of a Dacia, Audi or BMW

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?

You are fine then

I know

What car is it?

A very fast one

BMW

No.

Audi

I need a hint lol

Dacia?

Seriously, I wouldn't buy the same car I drive now for a couple of reasons. The sports suspension is genuinely uncomfortable at low speed especially with the number of potholes around and spares etc can be very expensive.

I will always have a fast, sporty type car though, as long as my hips allow me to get in the driving seat . It's highly unlikely that I will ever be seen behind the wheel of a Dacia, Audi or BMW "

Four words: Skoda Superb or Toyota Hybrid

Thank me later

By *hingy2Woman  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"I'd Google it. Lots of advice on respected car websites. Don't forget you can check previous MOTs online using the car reg. Good idea to check previous advisories and find out if they've been sorted. "

Brill idea ... make sure you go on the official Gov one though as the others charge you

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Don't buy a diesel.

Why not?

You are fine then

I know

What car is it?

A very fast one

BMW

No.

Audi

I need a hint lol

Dacia?

I will always have a fast, sporty type car though, as long as my hips allow me to get in the driving seat . It's highly unlikely that I will ever be seen behind the wheel of a Dacia, Audi or BMW

Four words: Skoda Superb or Toyota Hybrid

Thank me later "

Ok.

"The best automatic I had was a Ford Focus, I had it 10 years (from second hand) and it was still going strong when I sold it last year. Just remember you pay extra for automatics as good second hand automatics are sought after

On the plus side they hold their value well too. In a couple of years a £2000 manual will only be worth about £6-800 but an auto will be more like £1200."

They do, I sold mine for £500 and got the full asking price as they could see that it was a bargain.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

" what should I be looking for and anything to avoid please!

"

Steer clear of anything with a CVT

" what should I be looking for and anything to avoid please!

Steer clear of anything with a CVT "

Most new Auto are CVT.. Audi cvt is bad, Toyota cvt is good

Nottingham

"The best automatic I had was a Ford Focus, I had it 10 years (from second hand) and it was still going strong when I sold it last year. Just remember you pay extra for automatics as good second hand automatics are sought after

On the plus side they hold their value well too. In a couple of years a £2000 manual will only be worth about £6-800 but an auto will be more like £1200.

They do, I sold mine for £500 and got the full asking price as they could see that it was a bargain."

I bought my current car cheap from a dealer who had taken it in part exchange and just wanted to get rid because they don't deal in autos or cheaper cars. I only paid £450 for it and was offered £850 to buy it a couple of weeks ago. I have no intention of selling though unless I find something else I like better.

Another thought on diesels - newer diesels have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) in the exhaust system to reduce particulate (soot) emissions. To carry on working properly, these require a long-ish journey at motorway speeds (around 20 minutes at around 2000rpm or higher) to keep them working correctly. If this is not done, and they pack in, the repair replacement will probably cost more than your budget for buying a car. Because of this, there has been a trend for removing or 'modifying' DPFs, but I believe any cars which have had this done will now fail the MoT test. Also diesels only make financial sense if you cover a reasonably high mileage - if it's just short journeys a petrol will be a better bet.

Autotrader website has a great search function which lets you specify all sorts of parameters - incluing min and max price, transmission type, distance from you, etc - so you can find every automatic within a set radius from you, in your price range. This covers trade and private sellers, and for the private sellers you can also check reviews.

I'd echo what others have said re: Honda - but also be looking for as much service history as possible, and if it's a private sale an owner who seems like they've looked after the car properly.

Also tyres - if you buy a car for 2k and then find it needs new tyres all round, as the ones supplied were barely legal, you'll be looking at an unwelcome bill for a good few hundred quid to replace them, especially if they're sporty low-profiles.

good luck x

Ask them first if they had sex in it, if yes ask them where did they spunk in order to use bleach there

My god it’s a minefield! My father in law is going to take me now as he is abit of a mechanic and has a good eye so I feel a bit better about it all. I’ll let you know lol

"Don't know if they still do but the AA/RAC used to offer a service where they'd check a used car over for you and advise on roadworthiness/any glaring issues etc - might be worth checking out.

Doesn't offer any guarantees of course but might steer you clear of a dud."

Similar to what this guy said, they now have RAC/AA approved dealers meaning theyve inspected and approved them prior to sale, believe they gice a warranty on top as re assurance

"My god it’s a minefield! My father in law is going to take me now as he is abit of a mechanic and has a good eye so I feel a bit better about it all. I’ll let you know lol"

Yeah any problems, don’t tell us

By *arnayguyMan  over a year ago

Durham Tees

The tip about checking the past MOT reports from the registration document is very useful. You can view all the history and see if the car is prone to repeated faults.

Also look at how many previous owners there are. If you are buying a car that's only had one or two owners it is a sign that people have generally been happy to keep the car. That is no guarantee it hasn't got a major fault but it's worth noting. A friend bought a Suzuki which was no end of trouble. It was only two years old but had 6 previous owners....

"I would be inclined to look at dealerships rather than a private sale. At least you will get a guarantee and somewhere to fall back on if something does go wrong. Maybe ask your local mechanic to go along with you when you've chosen a likely car. He may charge a fee, but it's worth it for expert advice.

My son went all the way to a Birmingham dealer for his car, beautiful Honda Civic type R in Cosmic Grey, he's had it over 6 months now and really happy with it.

Love Hondas. I drive a Fabia and it's the best car i've ever owned."

I swapped my 2013 civic for a 2007 type R civic....most people think I’m mad.

But for a car that’s almost 11 years old and gets given a good thrashing regularly it’s been absolutely perfect. 80k miles on it now and no issues at all.

There’s not many cars that can take daily abuse for 8500rpm and keep going like a Honda

The same can’t be said for the likes of Vauxhall’s or Peugeot’s.....most corsas are fucked and have had several parts replaced by 50k miles....and I’d rather not talk about the last Peugeot I owned

By *htcMan  over a year ago

MK

check the mot history before viewing any, will tell you about the history.

one thing i would say is look at the engine bay look out for things that look different to another car if your viewing others. also look under the car if anything loose or hanging

a ford focus would be a good one, i had my focus 6years never had any problems did 90k in it just service and mot always passed

» Add a new message to this topic