FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Football Fans

Football Fans

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

This is from observations on todays threads. There have been a few football related threads today. The overwhelming take away from them is that there is so much hatred and aggression in football fans. I am an Arsenal supporter. Although my main sporting love is rugby union. Specifically Ulster and Ireland. Along with the three other provinces in Ireland. Never have i come across anywhere near a fraction of the ugliness displayed on the forums by football supporters. Why is it like this? Why can't they be more like rugby supporters?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *tingly ByronMan  over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"This is from observations on todays threads. There have been a few football related threads today. The overwhelming take away from them is that there is so much hatred and aggression in football fans. I am an Arsenal supporter. Although my main sporting love is rugby union. Specifically Ulster and Ireland. Along with the three other provinces in Ireland. Never have i come across anywhere near a fraction of the ugliness displayed on the forums by football supporters. Why is it like this? Why can't they be more like rugby supporters?"

Doesn't the old adage say football is played by gentlemen and watched by hooligans, whereas rugby is played by hooligans and watched by gentlemen.

I'm not convinced either of these is true.....

"This is from observations on todays threads. There have been a few football related threads today. The overwhelming take away from them is that there is so much hatred and aggression in football fans. I am an Arsenal supporter. Although my main sporting love is rugby union. Specifically Ulster and Ireland. Along with the three other provinces in Ireland. Never have i come across anywhere near a fraction of the ugliness displayed on the forums by football supporters. Why is it like this? Why can't they be more like rugby supporters?

Doesn't the old adage say football is played by gentlemen and watched by hooligans, whereas rugby is played by hooligans and watched by gentlemen.

I'm not convinced either of these is true....."

Football - Gentleman's game played by hooligans.

Rugby - Hooligans game played by gentleman

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"This is from observations on todays threads. There have been a few football related threads today. The overwhelming take away from them is that there is so much hatred and aggression in football fans. I am an Arsenal supporter. Although my main sporting love is rugby union. Specifically Ulster and Ireland. Along with the three other provinces in Ireland. Never have i come across anywhere near a fraction of the ugliness displayed on the forums by football supporters. Why is it like this? Why can't they be more like rugby supporters?"

I think you need to explain this "hatred" you speak of because all I've seen is banter. Nobody wants to see another get hurt or anything.

"This is from observations on todays threads. There have been a few football related threads today. The overwhelming take away from them is that there is so much hatred and aggression in football fans. I am an Arsenal supporter. Although my main sporting love is rugby union. Specifically Ulster and Ireland. Along with the three other provinces in Ireland. Never have i come across anywhere near a fraction of the ugliness displayed on the forums by football supporters. Why is it like this? Why can't they be more like rugby supporters?

I think you need to explain this "hatred" you speak of because all I've seen is banter. Nobody wants to see another get hurt or anything."

i don't need to explain anything nor can i control what you have or have not seen. If you want to read through the football related threads, you might come across what i am talking about. I'm not here to point specifics out to you, that's something for you to have a look at.

Basically that just translates as you not being able to back ip what you said.

"Basically that just translates as you not being able to back ip what you said."

No. It means go and have a look yourself. I'm not going to do your reading for you!

In a town Fab forgot

Rugby - Hooligans game played by gentleman"

Thats it.....

I knew I was on the right track.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

The hatred as with most things is by a minority, is it justified no not in my opinion but it's about context..

Having been eye gouged in a ruck by an actual officer who should have known better its fair to say that in all sports some will cross the line..

Thats it.....

I knew I was on the right track. "

Lol i knew what you meant.

In a town Fab forgot

Thats it.....

Lol i knew what you meant. "

So did I.

The hatred as with most things is by a minority, is it justified no not in my opinion but it's about context..

Having been eye gouged in a ruck by an actual officer who should have known better its fair to say that in all sports some will cross the line.. "

Shouldn't have been on the wrong side of the ruck! Lol Only kidding.

It's just the only sport that i come across this. More the fans.

Thats it.....

Lol i knew what you meant.

So did I. "

[Removed by poster at 24/04/18 17:42:20]

Football fans are more partisan, they love their own team more than the game itself.

Rugby fans love and respect their sport more than any given team.

I like rugby but let's face it, 6 Nations and World Cup aside, it doesn't reach anywhere near the fervour that football does?

Some people would enjoy seeing Liverpool lose tonight, it's no big deal really.

Really though; if you're going to make an accusation about anything, you need to back it up with something not just say "what I'm saying is right and I don't need to prove it".

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Having been eye gouged in a ruck by an actual officer who should have known better its fair to say that in all sports some will cross the line..

Shouldn't have been on the wrong side of the ruck! Lol Only kidding.

It's just the only sport that i come across this. More the fans. "

I Know.. Sorted it on the pitch and had a beer later..

Football has a lot of other issues be they religious connections between teams and other local rivalries and past wrongs which have carried over, not excusing it but it's more than just red v blue etc..

By *iroma2010Man  over a year ago

Blackrock

I think your observations is right. Just like your self, I am a die hard sport fan, no matter who is playing football or rugby,

I would watch them. I am a big Leinster fan. I would go to matches where we drink and seat with the opposition team, something that will never happen in football.

I think the issue is that most fans has the mentality that football is a cult and u have to be die hard with the team to be believe that you support them.

Yes that worked when the clubs were run by fans not anymore that most clubs is run by people who don't care about the fans.

"Football fans are more partisan, they love their own team more than the game itself.

Rugby fans love and respect their sport more than any given team.

I like rugby but let's face it, 6 Nations and World Cup aside, it doesn't reach anywhere near the fervour that football does?

Some people would enjoy seeing Liverpool lose tonight, it's no big deal really.

Really though; if you're going to make an accusation about anything, you need to back it up with something not just say "what I'm saying is right and I don't need to prove it".

"

I made an observation. I even say this! I don't make accusations nor did i. So i don't have to back anything up.

Bottom line, i gather you disagree. Great. Thanks for your post.

Your retraction is accepted.

"Your retraction is accepted."

Your idiocy is acknowledged

I support Liverpool

But I don’t hate fans from other clubs

So I guess that’s most likely same for most fans if they were honest

Some fool today took the huff with me because I pointed out that it's football not soccer. But he said he was Irish. I had to point out that the Irish republic team calls itself a football team.lol

Anyway Liverpool 2 nil tonight.

"Your retraction is accepted.

Your idiocy is acknowledged"

Lol, ok. We'll call it a draw then?

By *alking DisasterWoman  over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

I've not gone into any of the football related threads today, but I can guess what it will be - banter. Because that is what real football fans do.

I'm currently chatting to an Arsenal fan through the messaging, I'm a huge Spurs fan. We are having banter and a bet about Thursday night's game. But neither of us is really getting offended by it.

Yes, some football fans take it too far and cross a line. As soon as it's crossed, generally, they are the first to apologise and there is no hard feelings. Between football fans it is well known that if you can't take it, don't dish it out in the first place.

Chill - it's nothing for you to get worked up about.

And other sports do have the same, have you ever seen the Tofosi reaction when a Ferrari is passed at Monza?

Football is very tribal.I never see that with rugby.Club is more important than country for most football fans I know.The same isn't true for rugby fans.As a Man U fan and a rugby union fan there is no union side I dislike but as a man u fan the same can't be said.That said it's only banter and taking of the piss.

Just been sent a video off one of the lads who's at Anfield. Proper kick offs outside ground. There you go, no need for it.

South Oxfordshire

"Just been sent a video off one of the lads who's at Anfield. Proper kick offs outside ground. There you go, no need for it. "

Completely agree. And the ones that are doing it are just hooligans and not real fans.

Not saying anything.... Don't have to!!

South Oxfordshire

"Not saying anything.... Don't have to!! "

You weren't talking about violence though op. You were talking about banter.

There is a huge difference.

"Not saying anything.... Don't have to!!

There is a huge difference."

No i wasn't. I was makng observations about the way fans get on in general. What happened outside the ground, pretty much confirms the elements that frequent football.

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

Football....played by morons

Watched by mugs

Simples

South Oxfordshire

"Not saying anything.... Don't have to!!

There is a huge difference.

No i wasn't. I was makng observations about the way fans get on in general. What happened outside the ground, pretty much confirms the elements that frequent football. "

Very small minority.

I have in the past regularly gone to Tottenham games. There has NEVER been any trouble between the fans - one of the matches was a Chelsea game. In fact, we all get on the same tube on the way home.

Or is a 5' 2.5 female a hooligan now?

There's some crazy comments from the uninitiated here. It sounds like some people are recycling stuff that they've heard from somebody who heard it from somebody else's best mate who once knew somebody that used to go to school with someone that once went to a football match.

Over 3,000 Lincoln fans at Coventry tonight, phenomenal support. Football is such an amazing success story yet those who don't follow it, or just take a passing interest in one of the 'big' teams seem so bitter about it for one reason or another.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

I have been a football fan and Evertonian all my life and these days the fans have changed.

Arsenal is a good example the way fans have turned on Wenger whos achevements will never be equalled.

My club Everton has fans that hate Allerdyce.If we won every game they would hate him even though he saved us from relegation,this I know can be disputed.

My point is the bitterness and nastiness of fans towards there own team is very alarming.It is based on short memory span and fashion.

In fact the modern fan is discusting and makes me ashamed to support the club I love.It is the fans that embarress me not the team,I am a fan win lose or draw.

By *oserMan  over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

Thats it.....

I knew I was on the right track. "

And as my gran used to say Gaa is a hooligans game played by hooligans

South Oxfordshire

"There's some crazy comments from the uninitiated here. It sounds like some people are recycling stuff that they've heard from somebody who heard it from somebody else's best mate who once knew somebody that used to go to school with someone that once went to a football match.

Over 3,000 Lincoln fans at Coventry tonight, phenomenal support. Football is such an amazing success story yet those who don't follow it, or just take a passing interest in one of the 'big' teams seem so bitter about it for one reason or another."

» Add a new message to this topic