FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The hidden cost

The hidden cost

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rontier Psychiatrist OP   Man  over a year ago

Coventry

Reading about proposals to end or at least minimise disposable cups and containers. I remember in the Forces, field kitchens using disposable cup, plates and cutlery to cut down the risk of bugs and infections due to improper cleaning of reusable items such mess tins. So considering the universal wide spread use of coffee shops, takeaways etc do you think there is a increase risk of bugs/infections and thus increased burden on the NHS and possible a few more deaths a year? If so do the benefits to the environment out weigh the impact on public health?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No, I wouldn’t say it would pose a threat. Most commercial kitchens wash the plates and then sterilise them in a dishwasher. Plus, takeaways can use bamboo, sugar beet plates, wooden cutlery.

"Reading about proposals to end or at least minimise disposable cups and containers. I remember in the Forces, field kitchens using disposable cup, plates and cutlery to cut down the risk of bugs and infections due to improper cleaning of reusable items such mess tins. So considering the universal wide spread use of coffee shops, takeaways etc do you think there is a increase risk of bugs/infections and thus increased burden on the NHS and possible a few more deaths a year? If so do the benefits to the environment out weigh the impact on public health?"

You must have been in a fish & chip brigade if you had the luxury of field kitchens

"No, I wouldn’t say it would pose a threat. Most commercial kitchens wash the plates and then sterilise them in a dishwasher. Plus, takeaways can use bamboo, sugar beet plates, wooden cutlery."

Yes they need to be replaced with things that are properly biodegradable..

"No, I wouldn’t say it would pose a threat. Most commercial kitchens wash the plates and then sterilise them in a dishwasher. Plus, takeaways can use bamboo, sugar beet plates, wooden cutlery.

Yes they need to be replaced with things that are properly biodegradable.."

"No, I wouldn’t say it would pose a threat. Most commercial kitchens wash the plates and then sterilise them in a dishwasher. Plus, takeaways can use bamboo, sugar beet plates, wooden cutlery.

Yes they need to be replaced with things that are properly biodegradable.."

Completely! However, until they become cheaper to buy, I don’t think they will.

By *r and Mrs A HornyCouple  over a year ago

coventry

Sorry I was RAF what was a field kitchen again

Maybe it’s a good thing. Aren’t we creating too many sterile and unnatural environments, so having less natural resistance to germs. This might help build it up again.

Coventry

"No, I wouldn’t say it would pose a threat. Most commercial kitchens wash the plates and then sterilise them in a dishwasher. Plus, takeaways can use bamboo, sugar beet plates, wooden cutlery."

I'm thinking big numbers. Surely with the millions of containers used some will slip through the net or be not properly cleaned as result of negligence. Surely there will be some increase in the amount of people getting ill and on the grand scale of things maybe one or two deaths a year? Or even just the spread of cold sores?

Coventry

Fair point

I think people should take their own travel mugs to coffee shops and fill them.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

There are always likely to be some unforeseen costs, arising from major changes.

For coffee drinking, sourcing alternative drinking vessels that can be fully disposed of, is probably the likely route: though I'd prefer less rubbish to be created. I use my own refillable cups for hot drinks, albeit at the risk that I don't adequately clean them. As we're largely talking about water and milk based beverages, I'm assuming that there may be a negligible increase of infections from dirty cups - but it will still have an economic cost.

In any event, we should be making drastic changes to our use of plastics and products created from oil. We should also be reusing and recycling more, preferably with stuff not transported over great distances.

"Reading about proposals to end or at least minimise disposable cups and containers. I remember in the Forces, field kitchens using disposable cup, plates and cutlery to cut down the risk of bugs and infections due to improper cleaning of reusable items such mess tins. So considering the universal wide spread use of coffee shops, takeaways etc do you think there is a increase risk of bugs/infections and thus increased burden on the NHS and possible a few more deaths a year? If so do the benefits to the environment out weigh the impact on public health?"

Probably but then again have you considered how many people are dying from pollution of our environment from carcinogens?.

What about all that takeaway shit people shovel in there mouths, how many do you think that kills?.

The sad fact of this shithole of a country is were incapable of tackling billon pound industries that are frankly devastating peoples health and environment, the fast food industry will get you in the end

» Add a new message to this topic