FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Have tattoo's gone to mainstream?

Have tattoo's gone to mainstream?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi there again folks

I was wondering your thoughts about tattoos and if they are on their way out? I can remember when it was really bad form to have tattoo's and mostly criminals and military had them.

Now they have become a bit of a fashion accessory and I think even become blasé

What are your thoughts?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Some people like them, some don't.

I can never understand the 'fashion' thing. Why dress/do something just because it's in 'fashion', seems rather stupid to me.

I think some tattoos can look great on some people but they definitely don't suit everybody. I don't have any myself but appreciate them on some ladies

I love my tattoos & I've had some pretty extreme reactions to them, some people still think only bad people get tattoos. I've has a wee woman move away from me on the bus when I took my jacket off (I didn't smell, I checked), a man on the bus read his bible to me (bus freaks are a common theme) & a street preacher told me I was going to hell! I get a lot more positive reactions than negative

There are some designs that are so common, the roses & pocket watch are the new butterfly.

Mine are mostly taken from artists

By *londieddWoman  over a year ago

fife

"I love my tattoos & I've had some pretty extreme reactions to them, some people still think only bad people get tattoos. I've has a wee woman move away from me on the bus when I took my jacket off (I didn't smell, I checked), a man on the bus read his bible to me (bus freaks are a common theme) & a street preacher told me I was going to hell! I get a lot more positive reactions than negative

There are some designs that are so common, the roses & pocket watch are the new butterfly.

Mine are mostly taken from artists "

and you've hidden them?

"I love my tattoos & I've had some pretty extreme reactions to them, some people still think only bad people get tattoos. I've has a wee woman move away from me on the bus when I took my jacket off (I didn't smell, I checked), a man on the bus read his bible to me (bus freaks are a common theme) & a street preacher told me I was going to hell! I get a lot more positive reactions than negative

Mine are mostly taken from artists

and you've hidden them?"

I've shown my profile now but there are only 2 pics showing tattoos

I've added another but please ignore the 2 shite ones, I'm getting them lasered...yes I had the typical girl butterfly tattoo but it wasn't that common when I got it!

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Check out the arse tat on Candela X

By *rozacMan  over a year ago

london

no tattoo's is the new tattoo

Some people like them some don’t. I’m just in the process of finishing my sleeve. My Parents don’t like them and we’re a bit disappointed when I got them but they say they appreciate the art work.

I think there a great way to remember people

My local supermarket now has pictures of models (for their clothing range) with tattoos where they never used to. Tattoo shops are popping up everywhere, I could buy a kit off amazon if I wanted to. Still, there are good tattoos, and bad tattoos

Never wanted one, never will.

I wouldnt say that there on their way out. Most people have at least one little tattoo hidden away and its not uncommon to see someone totally covered in them. They were once a great way for someone to stand out from the crowd but they are definitely more acceptable and easy to get these days that they have become so common that you dont even take much notice of someone covered in them whereas years ago they would have been centre of attention. Ozzy Osborne said to stand out these days is to not get tattoos or piercings

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Never wanted one, never will. "

I sort of wanted one, but could never decide what to have, or where to have it, so I've still got virgin skin

I personally don't care what people think of my ink.... i love it.

Yes it may have gone a bit mainstream with some dodgy works of art out there.

I don't mind the odd tattoo on women..But not sure of ladies with them almost everywhere..full arms,around the top part of the chest and so on ..I just feel they may look awful in later life.. but I respect everyone's choices who have them

By *eady and Willing 9Man  over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"Hi there again folks

I was wondering your thoughts about tattoos and if they are on their way out? I can remember when it was really bad form to have tattoo's and mostly criminals and military had them.

What are your thoughts? "

Everything becomes fashionable if enough people in the public eye do do it. Just how the world works

By *is vixen at playCouple  over a year ago

Dundee

No, just more acceptance for it now. And rightly so. A good bit of ink is a work of art. Our bodies are a canvas if we choose them to be. G

By *r MoriartyMan  over a year ago

The Land that time forgot (Norfolk)

I can appreciate the art but never been a fan of it on a woman's body, best left on paper imo.

By *iss SJWoman  over a year ago

Hull

"I can appreciate the art but never been a fan of it on a woman's body, best left on paper imo."

I did not know you held that opinion

"I can appreciate the art but never been a fan of it on a woman's body, best left on paper imo.

I did not know you held that opinion "

It's not that well publicised!

I just love women's bodies as they are and don't think you can really improve on them. Doesn't mean I can't still love the body if it has them though

By *ystical_InkedBBWWoman  over a year ago

somewhere in the Shire of Derby

I've never had any negativity regarding my ink. The older generation love looking at them and ask the meaning behind them etc and always express how tattoos are an art form these days. Younger ones don't bat an eyelid.

There are so many different styles around and more people tend to go for more custom pieces so they are a one off rather than have the flash sheet tattoos.

Hull

[Removed by poster at 17/04/18 14:07:38]

Hull

"I can appreciate the art but never been a fan of it on a woman's body, best left on paper imo.

I just love women's bodies as they are and don't think you can really improve on them. Doesn't mean I can't still love the body if it has them though "

I suppose I could always wear a cardi?

[Removed by poster at 17/04/18 14:12:11]

"[Removed by poster at 17/04/18 14:12:11]"

"No, just more acceptance for it now. And rightly so. A good bit of ink is a work of art. Our bodies are a canvas if we choose them to be. G"

"[Lasered by SJ at 17/04/18 14:07:38]"

I just love women's bodies as they are and don't think you can really improve on them. Doesn't mean I can't still love the body if it has them though

I suppose I could always wear a cardi? "

Now you're talking, 100% wool or a polyester blend?

Hull

Now you're talking, 100% wool or a polyester blend? "

Ooh polyester tends to cause a static buildup so I stick to wool

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I've had the odd negative reaction. A street preacher telling me I'm going to hell, a woman in a coffee shop telling me I'll regret them when I'm older, usual kind of stuff. I also have random strangers touching them a lot. That freaks me out. Especially when I once felt someones finger tracing the shape of my Dragon on my back. Turned round ready to punch someone and found a little old lady telling me how beautiful it was!

But ultimately I had them done because I love them, if I wanted opinions I'd ask for them.

Now you're talking, 100% wool or a polyester blend?

Ooh polyester tends to cause a static buildup so I stick to wool "

A little bit of static around the nipples doesn't sound too unpleasant

Hull

"I've had the odd negative reaction. A street preacher telling me I'm going to hell, a woman in a coffee shop telling me I'll regret them when I'm older, usual kind of stuff. I also have random strangers touching them a lot. That freaks me out. Especially when I once felt someones finger tracing the shape of my Dragon on my back. Turned round ready to punch someone and found a little old lady telling me how beautiful it was!

But ultimately I had them done because I love them, if I wanted opinions I'd ask for them."

When I got my first one it was years ago when women in particular didn’t normally have them. I used to get random strangers stood next to me in bars (mainly) touching it. Someone even once licked their finger as if trying to rub it out

By *andare63Man  over a year ago

oldham

"Hi there again folks

What are your thoughts? "

From my perspective I don’t have them and if I’m honest I always tell my daughters that in ten years time when they are walking down a beach they will stand out from the crowd by NOT having them

By *hatYorkLadMan  over a year ago

York

I like tattoos and have a few myself, but I do raise an eyebrow at the current mainstream trend for getting them up the neck or on the face which I'm seeing on a lot of folks in their early 20's

By *andare63Man  over a year ago

oldham

"I like tattoos and have a few myself, but I do raise an eyebrow at the current mainstream trend for getting them up the neck or on the face which I'm seeing on a lot of folks in their early 20's "

Totally agree it’s pure madness

By *organ and rob zombieCouple  over a year ago

bradford

Tattoos in our opinion are for people who’re into alternative sub cultures and should be appropriately themed to suit each of the many scenes be it, rock/metal, scooter scene/northern soul, army, bikers! Otherwise we think it’s a fashion statement! It’s just the same as people who wear t shirts of artists who they don’t even listen to just to try to look cool!

By *mileyculturebelfastMan  over a year ago

belfast

They're quite boring now. Most are the same. A clock, a rose, clouds. Black and white. Stick ten twenty somethings with tattoo's beside each other and there's not much difference. Same as haircut and beard.

By *onno 45Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield

Love my tattoos

Hull

"Tattoos in our opinion are for people who’re into alternative sub cultures and should be appropriately themed to suit each of the many scenes be it, rock/metal, scooter scene/northern soul, army, bikers! Otherwise we think it’s a fashion statement! It’s just the same as people who wear t shirts of artists who they don’t even listen to just to try to look cool! "

Does it really matter if they are more mainstream and common place than they were? As long as people have them for themselves and like them what does other people's opinions matter?

"They're quite boring now. Most are the same. A clock, a rose, clouds. Black and white. Stick ten twenty somethings with tattoo's beside each other and there's not much difference. Same as haircut and beard. "

I’m a twenty something with a skeleton playing the drums, quotes from julius caesar, half an arm gambling related and the other side with an undead king with two pin up queens.

The other arm had a suicide girl assassin asking to play a game of Russian roulette

Oh, and I don’t have a beard

"There are some designs that are so common, the roses & pocket watch are the new butterfly "

Mandala tattoos are the new tribal

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I've got 2 tattoos on either shoulder, but I remember I had a teacher at school when I was a kid, he was a Vietnam vet, and had all these military tattoos and at the time he was in his 60's St they were looking nothing like what they once did. My point, a small tattoo here or there fine, but the more elaborate they become, the more issues there will be down the line. I have seen many lovely examples of art, but when your skin sags, fat takes over, wrinkles form... Will it still have the same appeal?

Dundee

"Tattoos in our opinion are for people who’re into alternative sub cultures and should be appropriately themed to suit each of the many scenes be it, rock/metal, scooter scene/northern soul, army, bikers! Otherwise we think it’s a fashion statement! It’s just the same as people who wear t shirts of artists who they don’t even listen to just to try to look cool! "

Tattoos are for anyone who wants them. You cant label them like that. Some have meanings and some dont, its simply because they like the design. Both are fine. People can do what they like with their bodies and get whatever tattoo they see fit. I think very few would get one because they want to be cool. Its simply a generation thing and are much more readily accessible and acceptable today. G

Dundee

"They're quite boring now. Most are the same. A clock, a rose, clouds. Black and white. Stick ten twenty somethings with tattoo's beside each other and there's not much difference. Same as haircut and beard. "

This is inly your opinion. A well done tattoo is not boring. A lot of skilled work goes into a detailed piece. The individual might be boring but thats nothing to do with the tattoos. By your thinking im boring because i have 6 large tattoos a shaved head and a beard. Dont see the logic. G

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

Love my tatts ... don’t rely care what others think .. they are mine and represent certain points in my life

I was actually thinking if getting one

Dundee

"They're quite boring now. Most are the same. A clock, a rose, clouds. Black and white. Stick ten twenty somethings with tattoo's beside each other and there's not much difference. Same as haircut and beard.

This is inly your opinion. A well done tattoo is not boring. A lot of skilled work goes into a detailed piece. The individual might be boring but thats nothing to do with the tattoos. By your thinking im boring because i have 6 large tattoos a shaved head and a beard. Dont see the logic. G"

I can attest his tattoos are incredibly detailed and artistic, and he's definitely not boring!

My first tattoo needs reworked as the tattooist went too far in with the needle.

My others are geeky references - I have two Firefly quotes and my newest is a Star Wars design, and next week I'm getting a Harry Potter one. Not commonplace at all

V

I love my tattoos , they are my personal choice , and yes some people's views have changed when they have seen mine , but my thoughts are sod em , I like them that's all that matters ...

And goes without saying I love a man with ink

Love tattoos on both sexes.... Currently having my whole back covered with tge blue wolf moon and a portrait of a wolf... Both very close to my heart??

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

I don't have any but I I love good tattoos on a person. There are some that can instantly put me off someone as well though.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I haven't read the thread, so tough if I'm repeating a point already made.

Twenty years ago I was working with City (Square Mile) corporates on equalities, including not discriminating against people with tattoos. Now I notice that as long as a sleeve is covered by a sleeve and tattoos aren't on the face no one worries about a bit on ink being visible.

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

"Tattoos in our opinion are for people who’re into alternative sub cultures and should be appropriately themed to suit each of the many scenes be it, rock/metal, scooter scene/northern soul, army, bikers! Otherwise we think it’s a fashion statement! It’s just the same as people who wear t shirts of artists who they don’t even listen to just to try to look cool!

"

Tattoos "should" be for whatever the wearer wants them to be.

Other peoples' taste is none of your business unless comment is invited.

I've got a couple of tattoos, they aren't great but had them done when I was younger and didn't give much thought to it, but I don't really give them much thought to be bothered about them being a bit crap.

What I do struggle to understand is when people say they'll look rubbish when you're older, when the skin ages wrinkles and sags, but so what? I'm yet to look at uninked old saggy skin and think that's hot!! So what does it matter what colour your aged skin is?

Ginger

By *ngandnickCouple  over a year ago

Haverhill

I had my first one done in my 40's. I now have 6 and each has a meaning personal to me so no regrets at having them done. (Mrs)

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I saw a sexy young lady in town last summer, she had on a crop top and mini skirt. She had loads of writing in an italic style on her arms, legs & midriff. I said to her "It would take me longer to read you than to fuck you"

I'll never have one.

By *ystical_InkedBBWWoman  over a year ago

somewhere in the Shire of Derby

Most tattoos are custom designed to the wearer, very individual and if you ask most tattooists they'll tell you that the majority of their custom is from the over 20s, alot these days are having crap tattoos reworked and covered up with decent art

When people say 'they'll look crap when your 80'.

If that's all I have to worry about, ill be a happy man.

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman  over a year ago

stourbridge area

On a well toned body ... some designs look good ... but on wrinkly skin when your 70...

Looks silly.

bradford

"Tattoos in our opinion are for people who’re into alternative sub cultures and should be appropriately themed to suit each of the many scenes be it, rock/metal, scooter scene/northern soul, army, bikers! Otherwise we think it’s a fashion statement! It’s just the same as people who wear t shirts of artists who they don’t even listen to just to try to look cool!

Tattoos are for anyone who wants them. You cant label them like that. Some have meanings and some dont, its simply because they like the design. Both are fine. People can do what they like with their bodies and get whatever tattoo they see fit. I think very few would get one because they want to be cool. Its simply a generation thing and are much more readily accessible and acceptable today. G"

Just our opinion, each to their own and all that!

Dude

bradford

Other peoples' taste is none of your business unless comment is invited. "

I was under the impression that comment was invited??

Dude

By *lackfunderMan  over a year ago

Trafford

So what if an 80 yr old gets a tattoo will it automatically look crappy??

I think they have gone mainstream even face tattoos are getting popular.

I have a dark skin tone so I haven't bothered to get one I don't mind them.

Hull

Dude "

The t-shirt thing is sometimes funny though. I asked one of our apprentices about The Ramones because she had a tshirt on and she didn’t even realise they were a real band. She’d seen some reality star in a similar one

By *nnocent and RaunchyCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester /London

"I like tattoos and have a few myself, but I do raise an eyebrow at the current mainstream trend for getting them up the neck or on the face which I'm seeing on a lot of folks in their early 20's

Totally agree it’s pure madness "

Those ones just scream minimum wage for life...

bradford

Dude

The t-shirt thing is sometimes funny though. I asked one of our apprentices about The Ramones because she had a tshirt on and she didn’t even realise they were a real band. She’d seen some reality star in a similar one "

Yeah so much this! I like that meme with a picture of one of “a Kardashian??” On one side with a slayer t shirt on and Gary holt on the other side wearing a t shirt that says kill the Kardashians!

Dundee

I have no problem with people wearing a band t-shirt purely because they like the style. I don't give them a quiz

V

Hull

"I have no problem with people wearing a band t-shirt purely because they like the style. I don't give them a quiz

V "

I don’t think anyone mentioned a quiz. I asked because I thought it was a band we had in common as I was working with the young person and it was something to talk about. People can wear whatever they like but I thought it was funny that she didn’t realise it was an actual band. She laughed when I told her who they were.

"I have no problem with people wearing a band t-shirt purely because they like the style. I don't give them a quiz

V

I don’t think anyone mentioned a quiz. I asked because I thought it was a band we had in common as I was working with the young person and it was something to talk about. People can wear whatever they like but I thought it was funny that she didn’t realise it was an actual band. She laughed when I told her who they were. "

This all the time. GnR, Rolling Stones etc, yet never heard an album. They know of them, but they’re wearing it because it looks cool rather than what they believe in (not as deep as I just made it sound, but you get my drift)

bradford

V "

You don’t need to quiz, you can usually tell because the rest of their image doesn’t match! It devalues it, we can thank celebrities and high street stores for that!

Dundee

V

You don’t need to quiz, you can usually tell because the rest of their image doesn’t match! It devalues it, we can thank celebrities and high street stores for that! "

While i only wear t shirts of the bands i like, you cant possibly tell for sure by just looking at them. This is another case of judging people which in fairness we all do to some degree. This is simply labelling people. G

You can often tell the fashion tattooed by what they have had and often placement too... I started getting mine when it was still looked down on, especially for women. I get them for me and couldn't care about other peoples opinion on them, I dislike fashion with a passion and think there is gonna be a hell of alot of regretful, heavily tattooed people soon enough! I won't be one of them

By *hatYorkLadMan  over a year ago

York

"When people say 'they'll look crap when your 80'.

If that's all I have to worry about, ill be a happy man."

Exactly, it's not like I'll be cutting about in shorts and a vest at 80 years old anyway so nobody will even see them

They’ve been mainstream for a good few years now, these days I’m more surprised to see people without one than with.

By *ilthyStrumpetCouple  over a year ago

Trowbridge

It's a tough one...tattoos on the whole are much more accepted these days, and you'll be hard pressed to find too many people under 40 without one now I think.

For many they've become fashionable, but they'll be the people who get the trendy tattoos and regret them...along with the dolphins, Celtic bands and little red devils of the 90s.

I, for one am glad they're more popular! It means I get a little less shit for mine

"You can often tell the fashion tattooed by what they have had and often placement too... I started getting mine when it was still looked down on, especially for women. I get them for me and couldn't care about other peoples opinion on them, I dislike fashion with a passion and think there is gonna be a hell of alot of regretful, heavily tattooed people soon enough! I won't be one of them "

Coverups. the admitting of getting the wrong tattoo.

bradford

V

You don’t need to quiz, you can usually tell because the rest of their image doesn’t match! It devalues it, we can thank celebrities and high street stores for that!

While i only wear t shirts of the bands i like, you cant possibly tell for sure by just looking at them. This is another case of judging people which in fairness we all do to some degree. This is simply labelling people. G"

Not for sure no, that’s why I said “you can usually tell” some scenesters really do their homework to complete the look! Not being arsey by the way, I’ve dealt with scenesters all my life, taking the piss out of how I have my hair or what I wear but as soon as a celebrity is seen in the same getup, high street stores start churning it out then I see the same pisstakers wearing it I’ve pulled them up about it many a time but all you get is “yeah but it’s in fashion now innit?” Laughable!

Dundee

V

While i only wear t shirts of the bands i like, you cant possibly tell for sure by just looking at them. This is another case of judging people which in fairness we all do to some degree. This is simply labelling people. G

Not for sure no, that’s why I said “you can usually tell” some scenesters really do their homework to complete the look! Not being arsey by the way, I’ve dealt with scenesters all my life, taking the piss out of how I have my hair or what I wear but as soon as a celebrity is seen in the same getup, high street stores start churning it out then I see the same pisstakers wearing it I’ve pulled them up about it many a time but all you get is “yeah but it’s in fashion now innit?” Laughable! "

I agree that the way peoples opinion of things such as fashion can change depending on others views on it, esp celebs is pretty pathetic and its far better and more endearing to be yourself. Far to many jump on the bandwagon of things are are to scared to standout. But it is each to there own and if they want to live there lifes trying to fit in with what they see as cool or whatever is their choice. The way we see someone is maybe not who they are at all. G

If YOU like them, get them, if YOU don’t, then don’t.

bradford

V

Not for sure no, that’s why I said “you can usually tell” some scenesters really do their homework to complete the look! Not being arsey by the way, I’ve dealt with scenesters all my life, taking the piss out of how I have my hair or what I wear but as soon as a celebrity is seen in the same getup, high street stores start churning it out then I see the same pisstakers wearing it I’ve pulled them up about it many a time but all you get is “yeah but it’s in fashion now innit?” Laughable!

I agree that the way peoples opinion of things such as fashion can change depending on others views on it, esp celebs is pretty pathetic and its far better and more endearing to be yourself. Far to many jump on the bandwagon of things are are to scared to standout. But it is each to there own and if they want to live there lifes trying to fit in with what they see as cool or whatever is their choice. The way we see someone is maybe not who they are at all. G"

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

"When people say 'they'll look crap when your 80'.

If that's all I have to worry about, ill be a happy man.

Exactly, it's not like I'll be cutting about in shorts and a vest at 80 years old anyway so nobody will even see them "

Never mind my tattoos- I find the promise of old man saggy balls far more worrying...

By *r and Mrs A HornyCouple  over a year ago

coventry

We both got tattoos, I see them as a person choice I love my 2 (one being chest and back piece) because it has meaning to me and my life journey took nine years to plan. The other a unicorn my son picked. S has 13 all mean something different to her. I think fashionable is the wrong word because fashions come and go but tattoos are there forever xx I love inked

» Add a new message to this topic