FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The thin veneer of civilisation

The thin veneer of civilisation

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The end times are coming, of that i have no doubt i just don't know when. This is the one time i agree with the God botherers, only in my version there will be no salvation. You see it now, a community loses a few basic utilities for a few days and immediately there's rioting, pillaging, even murder. So what would happen when this loss becomes our foreland, oil finally runs out and we lose everything?

We are all animals with base animalistic instincts however much we try to deny it. We paste upon ourselves this thin veneer which we refer to as 'being civilised' and pretend we're not like that yet it's all fake, a hologram that falls away at the slightest hardship.

What would happen when everything is stripped away, when your most valuable possessions are a reed basket and a sharp stick?

This question came up at the end of an esoteric conference a few years ago when the room was thrown open to general discussion. There was a gentleman there who quite smugly said he had a small holding and was virtually self sufficient, of course i have none of this.

I shrugged my shoulders at him, looked him in the eye with a steely gaze and said quite flatly, "if it means the survival of my family i will kill you, i will kill your family, i will eat you and i will take everything you have for my own".

That seemed to freak him out somewhat. It appears that some of us are more in touch with our inner animal than others.

So what would you do?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ocks99Man  over a year ago

Reading

Head for the Winchester, have a pint, and wait for it all to blow over

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Head for the Winchester, have a pint, and wait for it all to blow over "

"The end times are coming, of that i have no doubt i just don't know when. This is the one time i agree with the God botherers, only in my version there will be no salvation. You see it now, a community loses a few basic utilities for a few days and immediately there's rioting, pillaging, even murder. So what would happen when this loss becomes our foreland, oil finally runs out and we lose everything?

We are all animals with base animalistic instincts however much we try to deny it. We paste upon ourselves this thin veneer which we refer to as 'being civilised' and pretend we're not like that yet it's all fake, a hologram that falls away at the slightest hardship.

What would happen when everything is stripped away, when your most valuable possessions are a reed basket and a sharp stick?

This question came up at the end of an esoteric conference a few years ago when the room was thrown open to general discussion. There was a gentleman there who quite smugly said he had a small holding and was virtually self sufficient, of course i have none of this.

I shrugged my shoulders at him, looked him in the eye with a steely gaze and said quite flatly, "if it means the survival of my family i will kill you, i will kill your family, i will eat you and i will take everything you have for my own".

That seemed to freak him out somewhat. It appears that some of us are more in touch with our inner animal than others.

So what would you do?"

Id wait for you to kill that other guy and then come knocking on your door

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

And I only came online for a bit of entertainment

"The end times are coming, of that i have no doubt i just don't know when. This is the one time i agree with the God botherers, only in my version there will be no salvation. You see it now, a community loses a few basic utilities for a few days and immediately there's rioting, pillaging, even murder. So what would happen when this loss becomes our foreland, oil finally runs out and we lose everything?

So what would you do?

Id wait for you to kill that other guy and then come knocking on your door "

But your survival depends on what you can bring to the table.

"And I only came online for a bit of entertainment "

This is not entertaining?

Read my op. There is no Winchester, there is no pint and it will never blow over.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

We live in a society where technology controls much of our lives. If there were major outages of technology, affecting energy distribution, food logistics, other transport and telecoms infrastructure, we'd have very little to keep ourselves fed and warm after a few days and possibly know little about what is going on, other than what we can see.

Basic survival instincts will kick in when our most basic needs are not met, especially during prolonged periods. This could mean that the strongest or wisest prosper the most.

I know that I would potentially eat animals and people, if it meant that I'd survive. Which of you is first?

By *ookingforlustMan  over a year ago

northants

So what would you do?"

I’m prepared for Armageddon. So therefore, if I’m prepared, it won’t happen. Shit only happens to me when I’m not prepared. That’s my logic anyway.

There'll be no armageddon in our life time anyway. Tough times maybe but no armageddon

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

A few years ago a huge tree came down and took out an electricity sub station.

At that time, our whole small housing estate was on just electric. We were informed it might be as long as 24 hours before full service would be restored.

We had a small camping gas cooker, so we could heat water etc, and it wasn't cold weather, we also had a few torches and candles.

One of our friends had a baby, so we offered to heat water for bottles etc. When word got out, other neighbours started knocking, asking us to heat water etc, and when I realised we had a limited supply of gas I had to turn some down. It was scary how quickly people turned, and also how ill-prepared they were.

Since then we have been bitten by the camping bug, and have allsorts of equipment, from generators to solar panels, large and small gas cookers, lanterns torches etc, so we could easily survive Armageddon.... but we would have to defend what we have, and I'm prepared to do that.

"There'll be no armageddon in our life time anyway. Tough times maybe but no armageddon "

Of course but that's not the point, i'm asking you to use your imagination, to think a little.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I think we would be able to survive for a short while but younger, stronger people would probably steal our crops and if we didn't die of starvation we would succumb to a minor infection of some sort during the first winter. The ideal for us in this situation would be to join up as a group with the younger members of our extended family who might offer security in return for our combined, extensive knowledge. However we'd need to last long enough for this to happen.

"There'll be no armageddon in our life time anyway. Tough times maybe but no armageddon

Of course but that's not the point, i'm asking you to use your imagination, to think a little."

Well I'm really disciplined with food and drink and can go without most comforts. To be honest I'd nearly enjoy stock piling resources and taking what I wanted a needed with a group of family and friends as you'd need alliances. Be way more exciting than today's life haha

I'd welcome it.

I'm bored out of my mind!

Trapped in a dead end job and cant be arsed to get a new one - up to my eyeballs in debt and glued to my phone / laptop most of the time.

I have everything yet nothing.

Bring on the apocalypse I say

By *tonMessCouple  over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

So what would you do?"

Id add you as a friend here and hope you would swap food for foof

So what would you do?

Id add you as a friend here and hope you would swap food for foof "

What's foof? Is it a skill, can you eat it?

By *tonMessCouple  over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

So what would you do?

What's foof? Is it a skill, can you eat it? "

Foof...Vagina

So what would you do?

What's foof? Is it a skill, can you eat it?

Foof...Vagina "

I googled it. I got Dioxygen difluoride and something that looks like a giant bean bag. Now i feel like a bit of a numpty.

Seems like a fair trade though.

I think I could survive. Whether I'd actually want to is a different matter.

I'm under no illusions that in this kind of situation amoral thugs would quickly dominate and/or kill off all the nice people. Might would momentarily prevail over civilisation. But pretty soon after that it would be the cunning who would start to twist things to their advantage. Luckily for me, as someone who isn't inclined to amoral thuggery, few amoral thugs have much between their ears and the ones who do will quickly kill off the ones who don't for me. I just have to bide my time staying hidden, stealing their food, and wait until I can trick them into locking themselves in a burning building. Then I'll bring peace and stability back to the region, marry an absolutely stunningly sexy woman, and be crowned hero just before the credits roll

"I think I could survive. Whether I'd actually want to is a different matter."

Indeed. A great many people believe suicide to be the better option.

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

Humanity survived before technology, we could survive after it.

Knowledge lost can be knowledge regained.

"I'm under no illusions that in this kind of situation amoral thugs would quickly dominate and/or kill off all the nice people. Might would momentarily prevail over civilisation. But pretty soon after that it would be the cunning who would start to twist things to their advantage. Luckily for me, as someone who isn't inclined to amoral thuggery, few amoral thugs have much between their ears and the ones who do will quickly kill off the ones who don't for me. I just have to bide my time staying hidden, stealing their food, and wait until I can trick them into locking themselves in a burning building. Then I'll bring peace and stability back to the region, marry an absolutely stunningly sexy woman, and be crowned hero just before the credits roll "

In a situation such as this morality becomes irrelevant so there is no moral/amoral. Where the thug rules the only way to survive is to become the bigger thug.

Newbury

"I'm under no illusions that in this kind of situation amoral thugs would quickly dominate and/or kill off all the nice people. Might would momentarily prevail over civilisation. But pretty soon after that it would be the cunning who would start to twist things to their advantage. Luckily for me, as someone who isn't inclined to amoral thuggery, few amoral thugs have much between their ears and the ones who do will quickly kill off the ones who don't for me. I just have to bide my time staying hidden, stealing their food, and wait until I can trick them into locking themselves in a burning building. Then I'll bring peace and stability back to the region, marry an absolutely stunningly sexy woman, and be crowned hero just before the credits roll

In a situation such as this morality becomes irrelevant so there is no moral/amoral. Where the thug rules the only way to survive is to become the bigger thug."

Only if it is beneficial to be one. Collectivism can deal with a rogue thug through the numerical advantage.

Also; people would re-learn that certain places have a better climate to produce certain things than others, thus a basis for trade is established.

"I'm under no illusions that in this kind of situation amoral thugs would quickly dominate and/or kill off all the nice people. Might would momentarily prevail over civilisation. But pretty soon after that it would be the cunning who would start to twist things to their advantage. Luckily for me, as someone who isn't inclined to amoral thuggery, few amoral thugs have much between their ears and the ones who do will quickly kill off the ones who don't for me. I just have to bide my time staying hidden, stealing their food, and wait until I can trick them into locking themselves in a burning building. Then I'll bring peace and stability back to the region, marry an absolutely stunningly sexy woman, and be crowned hero just before the credits roll

In a situation such as this morality becomes irrelevant so there is no moral/amoral. Where the thug rules the only way to survive is to become the bigger thug.

Only if it is beneficial to be one. Collectivism can deal with a rogue thug through the numerical advantage.

Also; people would re-learn that certain places have a better climate to produce certain things than others, thus a basis for trade is established. "

Intelligence and social cohesion will always trump thuggery... in the end. Morality is central to social cohesion. It affirms to those who are willing to support you that you are wedded to a common cause wider than your own. You may succeed in killing off one farmer. Or even two or three. But eventually the moral will join to annihilate the villains once again

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"I think I could survive. Whether I'd actually want to is a different matter."

I never want to survive and yet somehow I do.

I'd go to bed with however many Zopiclone I have at that time. That will save some resources.

By *ollyGWoman  over a year ago

Southampton

Lol

Did you actually say that at a conference? That's hilarious.

Also; people would re-learn that certain places have a better climate to produce certain things than others, thus a basis for trade is established.

Intelligence and social cohesion will always trump thuggery... in the end. Morality is central to social cohesion. It affirms to those who are willing to support you that you are wedded to a common cause wider than your own. You may succeed in killing off one farmer. Or even two or three. But eventually the moral will join to annihilate the villains once again "

This is assuming you survive the initial slaughter, any kind of social cohesion will come much further down the line which is not what my op was about.

"Humanity survived before technology, we could survive after it.

Knowledge lost can be knowledge regained. "

If you go back to 1700 before the great agricultural revolution the population of Great Britain was 5.5 million, currently it stands at 66 million. We produce less than 60% of the food we need. There will be no imports, no ships, no planes, indeed nothing at all with an engine.

You say that lost technology can be regained? Much of it is built on fossil fuels, without that how can this be possible? Nuclear reactors will fail because we won't be able to maintain them devastating vast tracts of land, we will no longer be able to build wind turbines and solar cells. There will be no more plastic.

I think perhaps now you see the problem.

"Did you actually say that at a conference? That's hilarious."

It was an esoteric conference, i guess that's what makes all the difference.

Newbury

If you go back to 1700 before the great agricultural revolution the population of Great Britain was 5.5 million, currently it stands at 66 million. We produce less than 60% of the food we need. There will be no imports, no ships, no planes, indeed nothing at all with an engine.

You say that lost technology can be regained? Much of it is built on fossil fuels, without that how can this be possible? Nuclear reactors will fail because we won't be able to maintain them devastating vast tracts of land, we will no longer be able to build wind turbines and solar cells. There will be no more plastic.

I think perhaps now you see the problem."

Humans are remarkably adaptable you know. Given that solar cells already exist, power from them could be used to create a number of things, it's a snowball effect.

I'd give it a very short amount of time before existing computers could be used again...

All sorts of things can turn a turbine. ..

"This is assuming you survive the initial slaughter, any kind of social cohesion will come much further down the line which is not what my op was about."

But your initial slaughter will be so myopic. Ug. Need food. Kill farmer. Ug. Need water. Kill person with well. It'll be, quite frankly, easy to run rings around you. Thuggery quickly gives way to intelligent organised criminality. I'd be the annoying guy who leads a band of people who keep on stealing stuff when you weren't looking. You could try getting someone to stand watch for us whilst you're away. But you wouldn't have any friends due to your self defeating selfish mindedness. You may have scared some people into helping you but they'd be easily turned. All hypothetically of course

By *ighland gentlemanMan  over a year ago

Tain

I think perhaps now you see the problem."

We have been building ocean crossing ships for centuries and only in the last couple have we come to rely on powered vessels rather than the wind.

[Removed by poster at 16/04/18 22:40:14]

"This is assuming you survive the initial slaughter, any kind of social cohesion will come much further down the line which is not what my op was about.

But your initial slaughter will be so myopic. Ug. Need food. Kill farmer. Ug. Need water. Kill person with well. It'll be, quite frankly, easy to run rings around you. Thuggery quickly gives way to intelligent organised criminality. I'd be the annoying guy who leads a band of people who keep on stealing stuff when you weren't looking. You could try getting someone to stand watch for us whilst you're away. But you wouldn't have any friends due to your self defeating selfish mindedness. You may have scared some people into helping you but they'd be easily turned. All hypothetically of course "

No, you're completely wrong. I would have my family with me, one who is trained in the use of weapons, one who can use herbs to heal, i myself own several longbows, understand bushcraft and know which wild plants are good to eat and can trap, skin and prepare meat. I'll be sitting in my small holding all nice and snug watching you slowly freeze/starve to death. You won't be running rings around me, you'll be begging me for help.

Most of the population will die out simply because they have no clue how to survive without modern technology. The survivors will form themselves into small, managable tribes.

"Start listening to Jordan Peterson and then come on to Fabs for light relief and it's the plot from The Walking Dead and Lord of the Rings. "

I'm sure Jordan Peterson would approve, however, of this wanton display of macho thuggery

"No, you're completely wrong. I would have my family with me, one who is trained in the use of weapons, one who can use herbs to heal, i myself own several longbows, understand bushcraft and know which wild plants are good to eat and can trap, skin and prepare meat. I'll be sitting in my small holding all nice and snug watching you slowly freeze/starve to death. You won't be running rings around me, you'll be begging me for help."

See the trouble is that you're not very intelligent (in this hypothetical situation). You'd be a sitting duck trying to fend off every other myopic thug who's hungry or horny enough to slit your throat in the middle of the night and aquire your food and your beautiful wife. Far better to keep to the shadows, keep on the move, and keep the women disguised until you reach a critical mass that can legitimately defend a vantage point. Even then things like farms may not be the best target. The heads of streams and other important points like vital junctions may be better to control.

There's a reason why intelligence is more attractive than thuggery

I think perhaps now you see the problem.

We have been building ocean crossing ships for centuries and only in the last couple have we come to rely on powered vessels rather than the wind. "

Yes, sailing ships. How many people alive now know how to build one and how many of those will survive the initial cull. Plus all of our mac_inery would become useless after only a few days. It's back to doing everything manually which takes time. Also this would happen on a global scale so what exactly would you use the ships for? Sailing to France only to be killed by the ravening hordes there?

This will begin with a collosal and sudden reduction in population with the strongest winning out,i can't imagine many learned men would survive that. Plus much of our existing written knowledge would be destroyed in the rioting.

Solar panels have a limited life span as do wind turbines, we would not be able to build more. Everything will be flung back, transport will be a horse and cart - assuming they haven't all been eaten, or at best an old traction engine if we can still get a few lumps of coal out of the ground and who the fuck knows how to operate one of those.

"Start listening to Jordan Peterson and then come on to Fabs for light relief and it's the plot from The Walking Dead and Lord of the Rings.

I'm sure Jordan Peterson would approve, however, of this wanton display of macho thuggery "

Meant to post Lord of the Flies but my edited comment kept disappearing on my phone. So gave up. Well caught!

Yes, he is a tad macho...a tad...

By *ubiousOatcakeMan  over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

"So what would you do?"

Put the dog, the hiking and camping gear in the car, and get as far away from everyone as possible.

Then, probably, slowly starve to death as I learn that my survival skills are not as good as I hoped.

I’ll never eat the dog, though.

"No, you're completely wrong. I would have my family with me, one who is trained in the use of weapons, one who can use herbs to heal, i myself own several longbows, understand bushcraft and know which wild plants are good to eat and can trap, skin and prepare meat. I'll be sitting in my small holding all nice and snug watching you slowly freeze/starve to death. You won't be running rings around me, you'll be begging me for help.

See the trouble is that you're not very intelligent (in this hypothetical situation). You'd be a sitting duck trying to fend off every other myopic thug who's hungry or horny enough to slit your throat in the middle of the night and aquire your food and your beautiful wife. Far better to keep to the shadows, keep on the move, and keep the women disguised until you reach a critical mass that can legitimately defend a vantage point. Even then things like farms may not be the best target. The heads of streams and other important points like vital junctions may be better to control.

There's a reason why intelligence is more attractive than thuggery "

Again, assuming you haven't already frozen or starved to death. It requires intelligence to survive and that i have in bucketloads. What will you eat? That tasty berry could well kill you and the dead badgers on the roadside will have already gone.

Of course what is won by the sword can be lost by it but i have sufficient wit and skill and my own army behind me.

So what would you do?"

You've run out of Marmite again, haven't you?

"No, you're completely wrong. I would have my family with me, one who is trained in the use of weapons, one who can use herbs to heal, i myself own several longbows, understand bushcraft and know which wild plants are good to eat and can trap, skin and prepare meat. I'll be sitting in my small holding all nice and snug watching you slowly freeze/starve to death. You won't be running rings around me, you'll be begging me for help.

Again, assuming you haven't already frozen or starved to death. It requires intelligence to survive and that i have in bucketloads. What will you eat? That tasty berry could well kill you and the dead badgers on the roadside will have already gone.

Of course what is won by the sword can be lost by it but i have sufficient wit and skill and my own army behind me."

Humans were nomads for millennia before they settled into agricultural communities. Some say the invention of kingship or local government was crucial to facilitating this. In your scenario no such rule exists. Therefore the people who survive will be those who revert to a nomadic scavenging life. You're going to sit on a farm imagining your safe when you're just a sitting duck. You may know a lot about berries. But you don't know anything about strategy. And it's strategists who will survive, particularly those who can win others to their cause. Perhaps you'd be willing to join me and be my underling?

So what would you do?

You've run out of Marmite again, haven't you?"

How did you guess?

Of course what is won by the sword can be lost by it but i have sufficient wit and skill and my own army behind me.

Humans were nomads for millennia before they settled into agricultural communities. Some say the invention of kingship or local government was crucial to facilitating this. In your scenario no such rule exists. Therefore the people who survive will be those who revert to a nomadic scavenging life. You're going to sit on a farm imagining your safe when you're just a sitting duck. You may know a lot about berries. But you don't know anything about strategy. And it's strategists who will survive, particularly those who can win others to their cause. Perhaps you'd be willing to join me and be my underling? "

The nomads you are referring to understood their surroundings and how best to utilise it for their own needs, can you say that about yourself? I'm guessing you must have trained with the marines or something. Can you start a fire once your lighter's empty and your matches are damp? Do you know where to find King Alfred's cakes and what they're for?

By *asilForty77Man  over a year ago

a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road

By *ackspopCouple  over a year ago

Wymondham

So what would you do?

But your survival depends on what you can bring to the table."

Some fava beans for his liver and a nice chianti?

Aberdeenshire

I love it when this topic turns into a willy-waving ‘I will last longer than you’ thing.

"I love it when this topic turns into a willy-waving ‘I will last longer than you’ thing."

I have to admit thay wasn't my intention.

So what would you do?

But your survival depends on what you can bring to the table.

Some fava beans for his liver and a nice chianti?

"

Deal, you're in.

You see the issue here is that the first wave of violence would come from the unimaginative thugs whose microwaves were no longer able to heat up their defrosted pizzas and they'd just kill some old granny for her food instead. You're now talking about a savvy survivalist type. You might already have been killed by some muscle head who simply wanted your lighter. Those who can see what's coming will quickly go to ground. But I must confess who of us would genuinely imagine civilisation was actually going to fall? So we may all be taken aback by it.

In short, we'd be plunged right back into Darwinian survival again. No I don't mean survival of the strongest. That's a misunderstanding of what Darwin meant by "fittest". I mean adaptation. Those who adapt quickest to the new situation survive. That's likely to involve some pretty flexible thinking as well as team work. Neither of these things were present in your op

By *raceytvcdTV/TS  over a year ago

mansfield

"So what would you do?

Put the dog, the hiking and camping gear in the car, and get as far away from everyone as possible.

Then, probably, slowly starve to death as I learn that my survival skills are not as good as I hoped.

.have a good working dog ferrets and nets your survival just got easier

I’ll never eat the dog, though."

By *ackspopCouple  over a year ago

Wymondham

"So what would you do?

.have a good working dog ferrets and nets your survival just got easier

Eating the dogs has been the death of many a Polar explorer. Dog livers contain massive amounts of Vitamin A which the human body simply can't expel quickly enough. End result: Death

By *raceytvcdTV/TS  over a year ago

mansfield

"So what would you do?

.have a good hunting dog or dogs ferrets and nets your survival just got easier

Aberdeenshire

"have a good working dog ferrets and nets your survival just got easier"

My dog is a Staffie cross, she’s built for it. Unfortunately, she’s a total sweetheart who I’m sure would sooner starve than kill a rabbit. She only chases them becsuse she wants to be friends; she obviously slows up when she gets close.

I do hope thst the absence of tinned food would change her mindset.

"I love it when this topic turns into a willy-waving ‘I will last longer than you’ thing."

I've been amused by doc moving the goal posts. One minute he's just some thug who murders a poor genteel farmer at his esoteric meeting. The next he's a savvy survivalist with an army at his side. It's all been amusingly childish. I hope the op meant it that way because I have been enjoying it

"You see the issue here is that the first wave of violence would come from the unimaginative thugs whose microwaves were no longer able to heat up their defrosted pizzas and they'd just kill some old granny for her food instead. You're now talking about a savvy survivalist type. You might already have been killed by some muscle head who simply wanted your lighter. Those who can see what's coming will quickly go to ground. But I must confess who of us would genuinely imagine civilisation was actually going to fall? So we may all be taken aback by it.

In short, we'd be plunged right back into Darwinian survival again. No I don't mean survival of the strongest. That's a misunderstanding of what Darwin meant by "fittest". I mean adaptation. Those who adapt quickest to the new situation survive. That's likely to involve some pretty flexible thinking as well as team work. Neither of these things were present in your op "

But quick thinking was and an ability to do anything in order ensure the survival of me and mine. Of that Darwin would approve. But you still haven't told me how you would survive, go to ground if you like but you still need to eat, find clean drinking water, keep warm. Plus you're assuming you will be able to gather a 'team' around you. Do you think that's likely, will you be able to trust them, will their skill sets improve your chances or will they be a hindrance?

"You see the issue here is that the first wave of violence would come from the unimaginative thugs whose microwaves were no longer able to heat up their defrosted pizzas and they'd just kill some old granny for her food instead. You're now talking about a savvy survivalist type. You might already have been killed by some muscle head who simply wanted your lighter. Those who can see what's coming will quickly go to ground. But I must confess who of us would genuinely imagine civilisation was actually going to fall? So we may all be taken aback by it.

In short, we'd be plunged right back into Darwinian survival again. No I don't mean survival of the strongest. That's a misunderstanding of what Darwin meant by "fittest". I mean adaptation. Those who adapt quickest to the new situation survive. That's likely to involve some pretty flexible thinking as well as team work. Neither of these things were present in your op

But quick thinking was and an ability to do anything in order ensure the survival of me and mine. Of that Darwin would approve. But you still haven't told me how you would survive, go to ground if you like but you still need to eat, find clean drinking water, keep warm. Plus you're assuming you will be able to gather a 'team' around you. Do you think that's likely, will you be able to trust them, will their skill sets improve your chances or will they be a hindrance?"

Ps, i have read much of Darwin's work and understand it and how the natural world works.

Of course what is won by the sword can be lost by it but i have sufficient wit and skill and my own army behind me."

I'm wherever Ray Means is going.

I'm wherever Ray Means is going."

I've met him.

"But quick thinking was and an ability to do anything in order ensure the survival of me and mine. Of that Darwin would approve."

Not so. It's now clear that organising group effort is clearly advantageous over going it alone in many species, especially primates. The old view that Darwin was on about selfish strong creatures is totally debunked. Central to social cohesion, even at a small tribal level, is morality, kindness, humour, intelligence, wisdom and, dare I say it, spirituality. Within this there is of course a place for brawn. But muscle isn't king. You're right that amorality would probably prevail initially. But it wouldn't last long. Just think of those silly Bond villains with their henchmen. I mean who'd want to be a henchman? "Do this or I'll kill you!" Not the best of bosses

If the premise of your op was that amoral brawn would prevail over moral intelligence I disagree. It may have a very fleeting initial advantage. But all you amoral thugs would soon kill each other off. That's because ugly myopic selfishness actually isn't advantageous whatsoever. Like a wild fire, it soon burns itself out. Meanwhile the moral, the intelligent, help each other, hide, share knowledge, and wait until the tables are ripe for turning

By *loswingersCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

So what would you do?"

We would die happy , knowing we had fulfilled all our deepest desires .

We wouldn’t fight , steal , beg or even try to survive .

"But quick thinking was and an ability to do anything in order ensure the survival of me and mine. Of that Darwin would approve.

Not so. It's now clear that organising group effort is clearly advantageous over going it alone in many species, especially primates. The old view that Darwin was on about selfish strong creatures is totally debunked. Central to social cohesion, even at a small tribal level, is morality, kindness, humour, intelligence, wisdom and, dare I say it, spirituality. Within this there is of course a place for brawn. But muscle isn't king. You're right that amorality would probably prevail initially. But it wouldn't last long. Just think of those silly Bond villains with their henchmen. I mean who'd want to be a henchman? "Do this or I'll kill you!" Not the best of bosses

If the premise of your op was that amoral brawn would prevail over moral intelligence I disagree. It may have a very fleeting initial advantage. But all you amoral thugs would soon kill each other off. That's because ugly myopic selfishness actually isn't advantageous whatsoever. Like a wild fire, it soon burns itself out. Meanwhile the moral, the intelligent, help each other, hide, share knowledge, and wait until the tables are ripe for turning "

Moral intelligence does not put food in your belly nor does it keep you warm. You are assuming that what you consider thuggishness - i call survival instinct - suggests that i am unintelligent, that's quite a leap. You are also assuming i will be alone.

To underestimate someone to that degree guarantees your failure. Once the wildfire burns itself out i expect to still be here. Also i'm still waiting to hear what you're planning to do in order to survive while you've gone to ground.

"Also i'm still waiting to hear what you're planning to do in order to survive while you've gone to ground. "

I'm going to eat Gloswingers Mmm. Munch munch munch. Anyone got any chianti?

By *loswingersCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

"Also i'm still waiting to hear what you're planning to do in order to survive while you've gone to ground.

I'm going to eat Gloswingers Mmm. Munch munch munch. Anyone got any chianti? "

And we are happy to help

By *hips n FursMan  over a year ago

Huddersfield

So the ones who know how to hunt,kill and prepare meat will all of a sudden have lots of best mates.

Like the OP,I've got a longbow and I can make arrows, so the jobs a good Un. I can also make a nice bender which can withstand gale force winds....so yep OP I'd give it a good go.

So what would you do?

What's foof? Is it a skill, can you eat it? "

Damn right you can...for hours hehehe

"So the ones who know how to hunt,kill and prepare meat will all of a sudden have lots of best mates.

Like the OP,I've got a longbow and I can make arrows, so the jobs a good Un. I can also make a nice bender which can withstand gale force winds....so yep OP I'd give it a good go."

Now we're talking. That's an impressive skill set and very useful, much more so than banging on about moral intelligence. If you ever find yourself at my freshly acquired small holding there's a place for you if you want it.

Wasn't there a channel 4 reality tv series where a bunch of us wet behind the ears Westerners had to survive on a remote Scottish island, some twatty men went all macho, pissing everyone off, ordering the women to do domestic chores and other such misogynistic stuff, and virtually everyone left? Rings a bell.

Social cohesion guys. Social cohesion. Just because you've memorised a copy of the sas survival guide doesn't mean you're equipped to survive... let alone lead. You may end up just pissing everyone else off with all that testosterone

btw I've changed my mind Gloswingers. I'll keep you both as hot water bottles to keep me warm at night. BUT NO FUNNY BUSINESS MR!!!!

"Wasn't there a channel 4 reality tv series where a bunch of us wet behind the ears Westerners had to survive on a remote Scottish island, some twatty men went all macho, pissing everyone off, ordering the women to do domestic chores and other such misogynistic stuff, and virtually everyone left? Rings a bell.

Social cohesion guys. Social cohesion. Just because you've memorised a copy of the sas survival guide doesn't mean you're equipped to survive... let alone lead. You may end up just pissing everyone else off with all that testosterone

btw I've changed my mind Gloswingers. I'll keep you both as hot water bottles to keep me warm at night. BUT NO FUNNY BUSINESS MR!!!! "

By *hips n FursMan  over a year ago

Huddersfield

"So the ones who know how to hunt,kill and prepare meat will all of a sudden have lots of best mates.

Like the OP,I've got a longbow and I can make arrows, so the jobs a good Un. I can also make a nice bender which can withstand gale force winds....so yep OP I'd give it a good go.

Now we're talking. That's an impressive skill set and very useful, much more so than banging on about moral intelligence. If you ever find yourself at my freshly acquired small holding there's a place for you if you want it."

Stoke the fire,I'll bring something for the table.

By *ighland gentlemanMan  over a year ago

Tain

Sometimes I am glad I already live miles from civilisation amidst a plentiful supply of fresh water, wood for fuel and plenty of things to eat.

"I'd welcome it.

Trapped in a dead end job and cant be arsed to get a new one - up to my eyeballs in debt and glued to my phone / laptop most of the time.

"

This

"I'd welcome it.

You’ll be lucky, if you glued to your phone, at least you’ll get a heads up when the apocalypse hits. I’m sure the news will break through Facebook first.

This "

Now we're talking. That's an impressive skill set and very useful, much more so than banging on about moral intelligence. If you ever find yourself at my freshly acquired small holding there's a place for you if you want it.

Stoke the fire,I'll bring something for the table."

Just let me grab my axe and i'll get some more wood in.

Waiting for the real prizes that will be needed - people trained in medicine and more than basic first aid.

"I'd welcome it.

You’ll be lucky, if you glued to your phone, at least you’ll get a heads up when the apocalypse hits. I’m sure the news will break through Facebook first.

This "

Haha

The irony is I'm not on Facebook and I don't have a TV.

Not that it means anything - apart from instead of staring at meaningless shit on TV - I stare at meaningless shit online

Bring on the apocalypse so I don't have to work at my shit job and there's no such thing as money anymore

Newbury

Just let me grab my axe and i'll get some more wood in. "

You do that.

Meanwhile, I know someone who can cobble together an Archimedes' screw based water turbine.....

I can farm and the point of collectivisation becomes really apparent when you begin to look at livestock/cropping.

Just let me grab my axe and i'll get some more wood in.

You do that.

Meanwhile, I know someone who can cobble together an Archimedes' screw based water turbine.....

I can farm and the point of collectivisation becomes really apparent when you begin to look at livestock/cropping. "

Then welcome aboard. There's always room for people like you.

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple  over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

I'm wherever Ray Means is going."

He's only good with a film crew

where as I'm skilled in the Anglo Saxon way of life,

I'm wherever Ray Means is going.

He's only good with a film crew

where as I'm skilled in the Anglo Saxon way of life, "

You're a re-enactor! That will no doubt be useful as this is most likely the era we'd be thrown back to.

I think I'll pass on the post dystopian shit hole killing people and eating dead Badgers bollocks.

I've got a 50 year old Irish whiskey I've been meaning to open for a special occasion, that'll do me

» Add a new message to this topic