FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > New MOT standards and rules

New MOT standards and rules

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The UK is introducing a new MOT testing protocol within a few weeks and some rules also mean that you'll no longer be able to test/fail and operate as you currently are able to. Firstly, I'm not in any way involved in the motor trade, so am no expert.

Older cars of certain types may get off more lightly as, for example, some newer diesels will be subject to more rigorous tests.

The new system categorises problems as dangerous, major and minor defects,

If your vehicle fails with a dangerous or major problem, even if you test in advance of your current MOT expiration date, you will no longer be able to drive it away to fix it, as it would not be deemed safe/roadworthy. I'm assuming that your insurance would not permit it to be on the road either, with it being uninsured for driving at this point.

Diesels have tougher emissions testing and the Diesel Particulate Filters will also be assessed: if removed or altered, it may require evidence for this action or just not permit a pass.

These changes start on May 20th, so this may be a heads-up for anyone with an MOT requirement that's imminent. Obviously anyone here - and there are loads - who knows more about vehicles, could expand upon advice and information that's helpful.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"The UK is introducing a new MOT testing protocol within a few weeks and some rules also mean that you'll no longer be able to test/fail and operate as you currently are able to. Firstly, I'm not in any way involved in the motor trade, so am no expert.

Older cars of certain types may get off more lightly as, for example, some newer diesels will be subject to more rigorous tests.

If your vehicle fails with a dangerous or major problem, even if you test in advance of your current MOT expiration date, you will no longer be able to drive it away to fix it, as it would not be deemed safe/roadworthy. I'm assuming that your insurance would not permit it to be on the road either, with it being uninsured for driving at this point.

Diesels have tougher emissions testing and the Diesel Particulate Filters will also be assessed: if removed or altered, it may require evidence for this action or just not permit a pass.

These changes start on May 20th, so this may be a heads-up for anyone with an MOT requirement that's imminent. Obviously anyone here - and there are loads - who knows more about vehicles, could expand upon advice and information that's helpful. "

Because of the new regulations i have been encouraged by my friendly neighbourhood MOT tester to keep my 2004 Hilux running for as long as possible.

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

There are way around everything.

"There are way around everything. "

Ooh dear.

I foresee some folks getting a telling off for they're dpf/egr removal

Central

"There are way around everything. "

I was hoping the expert Bladey was still online

Manchester

"There are way around everything.

I was hoping the expert Bladey was still online "

Blushes at expert. More smart arse I'd say.

The dpf thing will be the most worrying thing for people. Just remember they aren't gods and so long as you sort it with people who know what they are doing it's really not a problem

Posting so Dorian can have a read.

~Mia

It was bloody stupid that they took checking some essential basic maintenance off, such as brake pads a few years ago.

Central

The dpf thing will be the most worrying thing for people. Just remember they aren't gods and so long as you sort it with people who know what they are doing it's really not a problem "

I know you talk about cars and stuff: I know zero about them.

I've heard some people get their DPFs removed, though only more recent cars have had them fitted, I think, so older cars won't be expected to have them.

I was thinking it could be a new way for people to get ripped-off, if they have to pay for unexpected repairs, before they can remove their vehicle from the place testing it. It seems unfair in a way, that if someone tests their car early, so would have still been covered by a current MOT, that they no longer are able to drive - I think they can be subject to 6 penalty points plus fines. I'm guessing they could have a driving without insurance penalty too.

Central

The dpf thing will be the most worrying thing for people. Just remember they aren't gods and so long as you sort it with people who know what they are doing it's really not a problem

I've heard some people get their DPFs removed, though only more recent cars have had them fitted, I think, so older cars won't be expected to have them.

I was thinking it could be a new way for people to get ripped-off, if they have to pay for unexpected repairs, before they can remove their vehicle from the place testing it. It seems unfair in a way, that if someone tests their car early, so would have still been covered by a current MOT, that they no longer are able to drive - I think they can be subject to 6 penalty points plus fines. I'm guessing they could have a driving without insurance penalty too.

"

Though driving a car that's dangerous is never right.

Who bothers with an MOT anyway?.

Just wing it

"

As far as I am aware, any reputable garage would tell you not to drive the car away if it was a dangerous fault they found anyway. It's not really in their interests if a customer crashes on their way home, really, is it?

"

If they could afford some wonga to remove them, they can afford some wonga to refit them?.

Debit money, credit experience

Manchester

"

Yep your right I do

Not being able to remove your car is a new 1 on me to be honest but I've 2 mots up to now on next week and the inspector is a mate of mine so I'll find out the real gen and repost later. My opinion on that is it's the insurance that will give you the points or lack of it as it's always been if you've no mot your insurance is void but there's nothing to stop you towing it away. It's your property so the mot station has no right to stop you doing what you like with your car end of story...

As for the dpf thing they've been a factory fit since 06 so there's a lot about by now. Basically what it does is trap all the sout you used to see old diesels pump out. Then when your on a good run say on a motorway and your engines nice and hot it burns it off as it's really unburnt fuel. The problem with that is when Johnny salesman sold you that shiny new car he forgot to explain how it works and can only do it's job if the car is used how it was intended i.e. doing loads of miles. If its only used to toddle to the shops then it's 1st blokes your dpf which will give you a bill of around 500 quid to replace only to start the whole thing over again so you'll be replacing the dpf more than just 1s. The other problem is if your cars not getting hot enough some of that sout gets into your oil and clogs oil routes to and that why you see so many mainly small cc engined cars with blown turbos as they lose the oil feed.... phew still with me

Manchester

If they could afford some wonga to remove them, they can afford some wonga to refit them?.

Debit money, credit experience "

There's better ways to sort it it's not just about the money

Im a engineer envolved heavily with diesels... diesels are dead, anyone buying a new car and chooses a diesel is making a whopper of a mistake, i was on the anti bandwagon but the second hand diesel markets flopped, vat on diesel is increasing next year as is the introduction of 'smog tax' in citys, theyre dieing...

is it a good thing? Personally yes i think it is after recently travelling over Australia where they have high taxation on diesels so most have petrol & hybrid, just walking around the big cities the air quality is fantastic, i live in a rural suberb and the diesel smog hit me like a brick when i got back here.

Debit money, credit experience

There's better ways to sort it it's not just about the money"

They've been tightening up on the rules for ages, it was only a matter of time before they made it very very hard to get away with it!.

Cest la vie

"Im a engineer envolved heavily with diesels... diesels are dead, anyone buying a new car and chooses a diesel is making a whopper of a mistake, i was on the anti bandwagon but the second hand diesel markets flopped, vat on diesel is increasing next year as is the introduction of 'smog tax' in citys, theyre dieing...

is it a good thing? Personally yes i think it is after recently travelling over Australia where they have high taxation on diesels so most have petrol & hybrid, just walking around the big cities the air quality is fantastic, i live in a rural suberb and the diesel smog hit me like a brick when i got back here."

You'll be picking up a relatively new one for bobbins once this kicks in

By *emplarWarriorMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

"The UK is introducing a new MOT testing protocol within a few weeks and some rules also mean that you'll no longer be able to test/fail and operate as you currently are able to. Firstly, I'm not in any way involved in the motor trade, so am no expert.

These changes start on May 20th, so this may be a heads-up for anyone with an MOT requirement that's imminent. Obviously anyone here - and there are loads - who knows more about vehicles, could expand upon advice and information that's helpful.

Because of the new regulations i have been encouraged by my friendly neighbourhood MOT tester to keep my 2004 Hilux running for as long as possible. "

You'll go through a lot of fuel keeping it running

Haven't read the full thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned.

Talking to the tester last month when I got mine tested...he said the price would be going up as the emissions equipment will need updating for the new tests and it would cost them nearly 10 grand for the new machine. So he will have to put the cost of his MOT up by at least a fiver to cover the costs.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

"Not being able to remove your car is a new 1 on me to be honest but I've 2 mots up to now on next week and the inspector is a mate of mine so I'll find out the real gen and repost later. My opinion on that is it's the insurance that will give you the points or lack of it as it's always been if you've no mot your insurance is void but there's nothing to stop you towing it away. It's your property so the mot station has no right to stop you doing what you like with your car end of story..."

As I understand it the minor fault replaces an advisory, a major fault is a fail but the vehicle can be removed under it's own power for repair and it's only a dangerous fault that will result in prohibition of removing the vehicle under it's own power (so towed/trailered).

Central

"Not being able to remove your car is a new 1 on me to be honest but I've 2 mots up to now on next week and the inspector is a mate of mine so I'll find out the real gen and repost later. My opinion on that is it's the insurance that will give you the points or lack of it as it's always been if you've no mot your insurance is void but there's nothing to stop you towing it away. It's your property so the mot station has no right to stop you doing what you like with your car end of story...

As I understand it the minor fault replaces an advisory, a major fault is a fail but the vehicle can be removed under it's own power for repair and it's only a dangerous fault that will result in prohibition of removing the vehicle under it's own power (so towed/trailered). "

That's potentially good news, so that more people will still be legal to take the vehicle onwards - driven - to sort out the fault.

If everyone paid the MOT testing place for the repairs, they'd certainly be quids in - lots of people have their trusted/favourite repairers but the car has to be taken elsewhere to be tested.

The key differences:

1.tougher test standards,

2. you can't legally drive your car away if you get a 'dangerous' fail (you risk £2,500 fine and six penalty points if you do)

3. Other new checks will be made.

Older diesels will be tested to current emissions checks, I think. Newer ones can't emit any coloured smoke.

Anyone with a test due in the next couple of months should consider when they'll be better to schedule a test. (Not me, I might add, mine was a couple of months ago).

» Add a new message to this topic