FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > curious

curious

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oantrimcpl2010 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Lisburn

Talking about tea and coffee on another thread, made me wonder. As we are in a recession and counting the pennies. Are there things that you would have bought before that where branded names and have switch to a cheaper brand, If so, Is it as good? Or is there some things that you wont compromise on?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yep I have switched some things to cheaper brands but not coffee or condoms

coffee is a no comprimise. have to still buy branded cat biscuits my lot are fussy lol.

have changed to asda own cereals my daughter says they are better. i do use asda washing tabs brilliant

Always buy branded..no compromise here....try to save the pennies in other ways

changed fish fingers from birds eye to morrisons brand and they are the best fish fingers i have had!!

Lisburn

For some toiletries and cleaning products, Ive started to go to poundland as they have branded names at a lot less than the supermarkets.

"changed fish fingers from birds eye to morrisons brand and they are the best fish fingers i have had!! "

try iceland ones £2 a bag of 40 my kids say they are the best out there

"changed fish fingers from birds eye to morrisons brand and they are the best fish fingers i have had!!

try iceland ones £2 a bag of 40 my kids say they are the best out there"

will try them cheers!

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

Never bought branded products except for cleaning things and coffee any way.A strange combination,but kev says cheap coffee stnks(i dont drink it) and cheap cleanng products seem to be a false economy as they dont work!

best for cleaning white vinegar and lemon works great

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

I tend to buy coffee when is on offer, funny my supplies usually almost exhausted by the time they come on offer again

Lisburn

"I tend to buy coffee when is on offer, funny my supplies usually almost exhausted by the time they come on offer again"

I tend to do that with things, always have a good supply of shampoo's, shower gel, toilet rolls, washing powder, toothpaste, kitchen rolls.

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

"I tend to buy coffee when is on offer, funny my supplies usually almost exhausted by the time they come on offer again

I tend to do that with things, always have a good supply of shampoo's, shower gel, toilet rolls, washing powder, toothpaste, kitchen rolls."

Pringles and Baileys?

Lisburn

"I tend to buy coffee when is on offer, funny my supplies usually almost exhausted by the time they come on offer again

I tend to do that with things, always have a good supply of shampoo's, shower gel, toilet rolls, washing powder, toothpaste, kitchen rolls.

Pringles and Baileys?"

for some reason they never last in this house

By *ENDAROOSCouple  over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

I tend to change brands depending on what is on offer. Often buy shops own brand except for a few items:

Beans & Tomato Sauce have to be Heinz

Cereals - Only buy Nestle or Kelloggs

Deodrant - Lynx for Mr, Soft & Gentle for me

Fairy Washing Liquid

Yorkshire Tea

Douwe Egberts Coffee

nah i think food n drink is the last thing u should skimp on

depending on the quality of the cheaper option that is

shower gels

always have the trusty radox / palmolive on hand for general 'only going to work' use

but molton brown is always 'in stock' - i think i've got 5 or 6 bottles of it in the shower atm

i love the black pepper one and it lingers on your skin for ages

"nah i think food n drink is the last thing u should skimp on "

Quite so - indeed, we had to give poor Frobishire our butler his P45 on Monday so we could still enjoy our Yorkshire tea with yorkshire milk from our cow - the sight of poor Frobishire milking his last udder will stay with us forever...

By *heekychezzaWoman  over a year ago

warrington

would never, ever compromise on my teabags coffee or fairy liquid. Everything else I will try other brands, even the supermarkets value range and if it's ok will buy it again.

One of my friends used to work for Nestles and they packaged products for various big supermarkets own ranges...but the contents were the same as went into the Nestle brand packaging!!! Another friend worked for McVities.....they made biscuits for supermarkets...the only difference from McVities chocolate wholewheat bisciuts (milk or plain) and the ones made for the supermakets own brand label was the quantities...the supermarket biscuits were smaller diameter and had less chocolate but retail at well under half price

For my own peace of mind, I'm sticking to durex. Tesco/ Asda branded condoms just doesn't feel right. Lol. Unless it was perhaps it was their taste the difference range .....

I used to design packaging for supermarkets and guess what they were sent to the big brand factories.

Many many years ago I worked for Tesco , was putting out carnation milk top layer in box was carnation bottom layer was Tescos own

By *evilwolfCouple  over a year ago

Leicestershire

I buy essentials these days at the cash and carry. I buy my detergents and washing stuff in large tubs then refill the smaller ones for use in the home. The savings are very much worth it.

We stock up once a month on groceries, and that just leaves perishables to buy on a weekly basis.

We look round several shops instead of shopping at just one place.

We buy everything in bulk when its on offer if its non-perishable, (if it's freezable then we'll buy those items in bulk too) and rotate the stock we have in home - just like a shop

Every little helps - lol

Wolf

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

Street girls. No one under 75 years old anymore.

Organic food. Takes a few months and some graft, but yum yum.

Have to have Twining teas and good coffees. Never economise on quality meat.

But will buy supermarket own brands or shop in Lidl's and Aldi's for lots of other stuff.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

All my toiletries ect are branded but come from wilkinsons when they are on offer. Things that are around £3 usually on offer for 98p. Ive got enough to last another couple of years lol.

I dont really eat processed food, i always buy basic kidney beans for 14p and cheapest tins tomatos. Heinz baked beans.

Im going to start getting beans and tomatos ect from cash and carry when i can find somewhere to store it.

I save money by cooking fresh food, bulking it out and it lasting 2/3 days.

I also eat lots of pasta and rice

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Northants

We do the Cash & Carry thing too. (Makro is NOT a cash & carry, it is a retail shop with retail prices!)

Always buy a box of 200 Nescafe coffee sticks. Toilet rolls and kitchen towels are also cheaper and anything else that we like the look of.

Toiletries are usually from Wilkinson and normal shop from Asda and we always do the check on the Asda site. Always buy own brand where possible and if it is good and generally? It is.. (Tesco value range is the worst own brand out there!)

Jam is best from Lidl. Their Maribel jam is only 89p and is way up there with some of the best there are. Lidl peanuts are also excellent value. For the same price as 100grm in Asda for KP, you can get a 250grm bag.

Having been in the food industry (Wholesale and Retail) for twenty years with a major Cash & Carry, we know who supplies what and if the general public knew? Lets just say there wouldn't be quite the level of food snobbery there is!

"shower gels

always have the trusty radox / palmolive on hand for general 'only going to work' use

but molton brown is always 'in stock' - i think i've got 5 or 6 bottles of it in the shower atm

i love the black pepper one and it lingers on your skin for ages "

I absolutely adore the smell of black pepper molton brown, one of my favourite smells ever! That and freshly popped popcorn

Would never skimp on baked beans or coffee, don't mind experimenting with other things though

By *he Happy ManMan  over a year ago

Merseyside

Actually buying the cheaper brands sometimes makes no difference in quality. For example Morrisons may go to Mcvities and say will you make us some digestives and put a Morrisons wrapper on? As it is a guaranteed sale for Mcvities they will do it.

So a lot times the cheap stuff is the more expensive stuff with a different wrapper on.

The only one I can think of that does not do it is Kellogs. I think they state on their cereal boxes they do not make their stuff for anybody else.

In a recent survey. It appears because of the recession more women are making love with their husbands.......... Becsuse they can no longer afford the batteries!!!

» Add a new message to this topic