FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Car breaking down help - Mondeo

Car breaking down help - Mondeo

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *igerstyle2k2 OP   Man  over a year ago

Oxfordshire

Wondering if anyone’s can help.

The engine management fuse of my Mondeo keeps blowing. It can’t blow at any time, when you’re starting it up or when you’re driving, the car will suddenly die.

It’s at the dealer at the moment but they’ve said they can’t fix it.

Would any people with cat know how be able to offer any advice?

Thanks!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"

"

Get a Honda

In all seriousness though, If you put engine management fuse into google, the top searches are a Ford Focus and a Ford mondeo

Have a search on the various forums, and see if it tally’s up with what the dealer diagnoses.

By *eus n EuropaCouple  over a year ago

Warrington

"Wondering if anyone’s can help.

The engine management fuse of my Mondeo keeps blowing. It can’t blow at any time, when you’re starting it up or when you’re driving, the car will suddenly die.

Thanks! "

Have you taken it reputable main Ford dealer? If so that is really appaluing if not get the thing to reputable dealer

Mondeo's are my speciality... having owned about 20 of them!

If you want to message me exactly what happens, and if you could take a direct pic to send too... that may help

Also are you on Facebook? There's a very good page for Mondeo mk4... I assume yours is a newish one?

Thanks! "

What size fuse is it, just increase the fuse size by 5amp and see if that does the trick. I had a similar issue with one of my cars and that’s what I did. I didn’t blow ever again.

Oxfordshire

It's a 10amp fuse.

"It's a 10amp fuse."

Swap it for a 15 amp and see how that goes, it won’t do any harm.

Thanks!

What size fuse is it, just increase the fuse size by 5amp and see if that does the trick. I had a similar issue with one of my cars and that’s what I did. I didn’t blow ever again."

NEVER take this advise! EVER!

A fuse is maxed out at the ampage that is used, it should never be 'upped' for a higher voltage, as this can cause fires.

Thanks!

What size fuse is it, just increase the fuse size by 5amp and see if that does the trick. I had a similar issue with one of my cars and that’s what I did. I didn’t blow ever again.

A fuse is maxed out at the ampage that is used, it should never be 'upped' for a higher voltage, as this can cause fires.

"

Nonsense, another 5amp isn’t going to blow it up. It worked for me and I got the tip from a reputable Citroen forum. I swapped a 20 amp for a 25 amp and it solved the problem.

Bulgy, I'm not here to argue with you... just stating an obvious fact.

You should never swap a fuse for a fuse with a higher rating, they’re rated for a reason.

It may not cause a fire, but could easily damage other components in the circuit

By *he Silver FuxMan  over a year ago

Uttoxeter

Thanks!

"

Mr Marmite is your mate - don’t raise the fuse rating - it’s a protection device. Raising the rating especially on engine management or ECU is foolish. Burn that out and you’re looking at big bucks. The extra current being drawn is a fault, it’ll be found by someone that knows what they’re doing.... and that’s not always the nut fuckers at an independent or even main dealers. Try the enthusiast forums but be careful, back up the advice with other sources too, too many THINK they have a solution, look for those who know...

Thanks! "

Forgive me but you say engine management fuse. I'm a motor vehicle lecturer and know my cars. It will be expensive for a dealer to fix it so if I can be of any help. Need to know what engine and age. There are fuses for alot of engine components including the ECU. Is it the fuel pump fuse?

"Bulgy, I'm not here to argue with you... just stating an obvious fact. "

I wasn’t arguing, just giving my tuppence worth, it worked for me and didn’t cause any issues, that’s all I was saying. Up to him if he wants to give it a try or not isn’t it.

The easy short term cheap solution is to just order a bag of 100 fuses from eBay, if it’s the same one that keeps blowing it’ll take you 2 minutes to swap when it blows. Doesn’t solve the problem but just means you’ll never be stuck at the side of the road.

By *hubaysiWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Thanks! "

I know about cats but not cars lol. Tiptoes back into her boudoir

I could be the alternator doing when changing some time may send a higher charge which could blow the fuse due to power fluctuation while running

The first step is to see what fault codes are stored in the ECU. This gives a starting point for further diagnostic checks otherwise you're just guessing.

As stated previously don't uprate the fuse.

Looking at a mondeo forum it seems fuse 42 (ecu) is a common issue and there’s loads of info to sort it on those forums. Some simple fixes and some more technical. OP have a read online and see if what people describe is the same issue that you’re having and see what the solution is.

Steady on you lot or you'll all be blowing a fuse

Oxfordshire

Thanks for all your help so far.

By *onnie And Clyde9070Couple  over a year ago

Leeds

Thanks!

Mr Marmite is your mate - don’t raise the fuse rating - it’s a protection device. Raising the rating especially on engine management or ECU is foolish. Burn that out and you’re looking at big bucks. The extra current being drawn is a fault, it’ll be found by someone that knows what they’re doing.... and that’s not always the nut fuckers at an independent or even main dealers. Try the enthusiast forums but be careful, back up the advice with other sources too, too many THINK they have a solution, look for those who know..."

There could also be something going dead short and increasing the value of the fuse by even a couple of amps could cause serious damage to other components and put you at risk.

For reasons posted above that's why you shouldn't ask for car advice on a swinging site.

Take it to a garage, a good independant garage.

Doesn't have to be Furrows. I've seen how Furrows mechanics are trained and it's no wonder they can't diagnose it.

Did they plug it into diagnostics?

"Looking at a mondeo forum it seems fuse 42 (ecu) is a common issue and there’s loads of info to sort it on those forums. Some simple fixes and some more technical. OP have a read online and see if what people describe is the same issue that you’re having and see what the solution is. "

42 runs ecm,fuel pump and allsorts

Common problem though theres some wires that chaff on egr pipe and end up chaffing maybe check them

Also check wiring to radio suppressor as daft as it sounds they're know for causing fuse blowing issues too. failing that i'd either say alternator overcharging or earth problems

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

problem ive come across

try tightening the fuse holder parts what maybe happening is when the car warms up or is in use

the contacts start to arc which in turn blows the fuse

Oxfordshire

Apparently when the dealership has been testing it the car hasn't faulted, which I think is a lie.

Going to collect it in a couple of days.

"Apparently when the dealership has been testing it the car hasn't faulted, which I think is a lie.

Going to collect it in a couple of days."

I used to work in a Citroen dealership. There should be fault codes stored for them to diagnose. So does sound like they haven't looked properly. Don't pay them.

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Everyone's is an expert you gotta love this place. Up the amps on a fuse best advice ever. Fuck the disease cure the symptom. 10p fuse or £500 ecu the choice is yours

"Everyone's is an expert you gotta love this place. Up the amps on a fuse best advice ever. Fuck the disease cure the symptom. 10p fuse or £500 ecu the choice is yours "

A fellow man with a bit of common sense at last. It worked for me and my car didn’t burst in to flames

All fused out just by reading it all!

By *eesideMan  over a year ago

margate sumwear by the sea

Thanks! "

I'm not a marcannic but it sounds like a electrical falt.

Manchester

Thanks!

I'm not a marcannic but it sounds like a electrical falt."

Best answer so far. Give that man a ceeeeegar

Manchester

"Everyone's is an expert you gotta love this place. Up the amps on a fuse best advice ever. Fuck the disease cure the symptom. 10p fuse or £500 ecu the choice is yours

A fellow man with a bit of common sense at last. It worked for me and my car didn’t burst in to flames "

My sarcasm is wasted on here

By *istretchMan  over a year ago

leeds

Another one for the dont put a bigger fuse in!!!! Fuses are rated at a lower ampage than the cable that connects to the fuse , raise the fuse amp and it may melt the cable before the fuse blows.

That was my go to solution when I was blowing fuses when I had my audio car, replaced 60 amp fuses to 80 amps

Still never managed to blow the 300amp one tho

"Everyone's is an expert you gotta love this place. Up the amps on a fuse best advice ever. Fuck the disease cure the symptom. 10p fuse or £500 ecu the choice is yours

A fellow man with a bit of common sense at last. It worked for me and my car didn’t burst in to flames

My sarcasm is wasted on here "

I got it I was just fighting sarcasm with sarcasm

"That was my go to solution when I was blowing fuses when I had my audio car, replaced 60 amp fuses to 80 amps

Still never managed to blow the 300amp one tho "

I bet your car didn’t burst into flames tho did it

By *appyhumper123Man  over a year ago

hull

example of not putting higher rated fuse in than the correct rated fuse, my brother thought it would be fine and it was for a week then up in flames it went lucky for him he wasn't driving it at the time with the kids in it, by the way the insurance didn't pay out, 3 grand up in smoke

Manchester

My sarcasm is wasted on here

I got it I was just fighting sarcasm with sarcasm "

Haha put em up pur em up

Manchester

"That was my go to solution when I was blowing fuses when I had my audio car, replaced 60 amp fuses to 80 amps

Still never managed to blow the 300amp one tho "

Put a long lead on the battery (obviously the black is positive and red negative) wire a 13 amp plug to the other end and get the ex wife to plug it in that should do the trick. It's ok thank me later

"example of not putting higher rated fuse in than the correct rated fuse, my brother thought it would be fine and it was for a week then up in flames it went lucky for him he wasn't driving it at the time with the kids in it, by the way the insurance didn't pay out, 3 grand up in smoke"

He obviously put it in back to front the wally

Still never managed to blow the 300amp one tho

I bet your car didn’t burst into flames tho did it "

Two runs of 70mm cable

4 batteries

7200 Watts rms into the sub

500 Watts rms into each door

Nope never had a fire

I’ve blown amps,speakers and fuses but never caused any actual dangerous scenarios

By *hechapMan  over a year ago

Derry

Don't go near a dealer. Go to an independent garage or auto electrican that knows what they are doing.

A lot of opinions on here giving advice and they clearly haven't a clue what they are talking about.

But then again its a sex site. A bit like all the experts you meet in a pub that know everything there is to know about everything....

Oxfordshire

No harm in asking everyones opinion on it!

Like the fella said

Main dealers no good

Try auto electrician plus Google the fault to get clues

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"The easy short term cheap solution is to just order a bag of 100 fuses from eBay, if it’s the same one that keeps blowing it’ll take you 2 minutes to swap when it blows. Doesn’t solve the problem but just means you’ll never be stuck at the side of the road. "
dont even need to do that you can buy a circuit breaker type fuse to replace it same rating etc when ever it pops just switch off reset start again.. have this on my truck for thecpassenger window as it sticks during a dry spell .most motorsport parts shops can supply them they just push fit as a replacement for the fuse

"No harm in asking everyones opinion on it! "

Quite right mate, none of the advice is binding. How are you getting on with it?

By *xtrafun4youMan  over a year ago

Dunstable

Thanks! "

had a few Mondeosand focus. Read the ecu with a cheap odb2, and software £20 it may help.

I used a specialist auto-electrician when I had an ECU related problem. Very helpful and suggested ways to solve the issue without replacing the ecu. The specialist garage just jumped straight to the £450 repair as a solution.

Oxfordshire

Picking the car up from the dealers tomorrow so I'll see what excuses they come up with for not fixing it/the car not failing on them when testing it.

I'm looking into a couple of local auto electricians to see what they can do.

Also ordered a self resetting fuse.

Not looking forward to driving it home.

Oxfordshire

Update:

Got the car back and drove it home with no problems, well the battery was dead when I picked it up and the garage jump started it.

Report said that the fuse was blowing when they were testing it but they did some disconnecting/reconnecting and wiggle tests and after that the fuse apparently stopped blowing. They said they did road tests too with no fault.

I just have to recharge the battery now...

By *eus n EuropaCouple  over a year ago

Warrington

"Update:

Got the car back and drove it home with no problems, well the battery was dead when I picked it up and the garage jump started it.

Report said that the fuse was blowing when they were testing it but they did some disconnecting/reconnecting and wiggle tests and after that the fuse apparently stopped blowing. They said they did road tests too with no fault.

I just have to recharge the battery now..."

If the battery was flat then either the battery is Fubarred or there is something draining it, very very likley to be the same somthing that is blowing the fuse.

If this is the best a main Ford dealer can do then if only reforces my opinion of Ford them.

Sorry to sound harsh towards all the Ford fans but that level of expertease from a main dealer is completley unacceptable. IMHO Of course.

Oxfordshire

From what I can gather the car was left in the yard for a while and during the snow and cold weather.

The receptionist said they hadn't tested it 'in a while' which led me to believe that they were just sitting on it for ages.

» Add a new message to this topic