FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Unbelievable !!

Unbelievable !!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *o Peep n Woody OP   Couple  over a year ago

suffolk

My 78 year old Mum who is suffering with Dementia has been poorly for the last week and definately her anxiety worse.

I visted over the weekend and discovered that she has been taking an extra tablet which isnt in her Dosset box (weird)

I phoned the Dr to find out why she has been prescribed another tablet and they have no record of it. The Pharmacy had issued a prescription to my Mum in error. This prescription was for someone else but they managed to stick my Mum's name on the box and sent it to her

The pharmacy have no paperwork for the prescription so don't even know who it was supposed to be for !!!

Mum just took the new tablet, she has no reason to doubt what arrives from the pharmacy and honestly doesn't know one tablet from another

I am furious and have slept on it but not sure what to do next ......

Sorry for the boring post but I had to vent my anger somewhere and where better than the forum

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

What an appalling thing to happen!

i think it would be worth making a complaint and ensuring what procedures can be put in place.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

There is a double check system use to make sure that what happened should not happen. Do you have the box if so there are normally twisted of initials on it to show who did what.

Hope your mum is ok after the event

find out from her or your gp who to contact to make a complaint and have it investigated

suffolk

"There is a double check system use to make sure that what happened should not happen. Do you have the box if so there are normally twisted of initials on it to show who did what.

Hope your mum is ok after the event "

There were two sets of intials on the box and the pharmacy have asked me to return it but I am keeping hold of it for now.

Yes, my Mum is OK now - thanks

Hi im a senior nurse, i will be blunt and say that you must get in touch with the pharmacy and tell them. Tablets have so many side effects and in some cases, very dangerous. Your mum is lucky that she has such a caring daughter.Imagine though if they sent that tablet out and your Mum was allergic to it.

suffolk

"Hi im a senior nurse, i will be blunt and say that you must get in touch with the pharmacy and tell them. Tablets have so many side effects and in some cases, very dangerous. Your mum is lucky that she has such a caring daughter.Imagine though if they sent that tablet out and your Mum was allergic to it. "

The Pharmacy know what has happened as the Dr tried to find out why they issued the tablets.

All they seem interested in is getting the box back

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"

There were two sets of intials on the box and the pharmacy have asked me to return it but I am keeping hold of it for now.

Yes, my Mum is OK now - thanks"

They need to see it so they can check who dispensed it and who accuracy checked it as part of their reporting process.

Who put the meds in the dosset box ?

id take photo's just incase the buggers try and tamper with it

[Removed by poster at 10/10/11 09:48:15]

"Who put the meds in the dosset box ? "

Ok cancel that I miss read post sorry

It's all too easy to rush for the compensation claim form when things like this happen but all that does it push the prices up of everything as businesses are forced to take out additional insurance to counteract such claims.

Your mum's Dr is now aware of what has happened so there is no need for you to keep the box, but the pharmacy must investigate how it happened and, just as importantly, what meds the other person received, as it's stands to reason that if your mum got someone else's meds then that person got your mum's meds.

Be thankful that your mum is ok and I think it's your duty to assist the pharmacy in ensuring it never happens again because don't forget, your dear old mum still needs to get more meds from them in the future.

Take photographic evidence just to be on the safe side though.

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Just a thought.... if you are keeping hold of the box... how is your mother currently getting her medication?

You must report it formally to the pharmacy so they can investigate it and make sure it doesn't happen again. It is quite rare for this to happen as the vast majority of pharmacies have robust checking processes in place but mistakes will still happen. The pharmacist and gp will need to establish what the unprescribed medication was in case there are side effects. Hope your mum is ok.

suffolk

"Who put the meds in the dosset box ? "

This extra tablet was not in the dosset box but in a separate box

By *unterslickCouple  over a year ago

tullamore

"My 78 year old Mum who is suffering with Dementia has been poorly for the last week and definately her anxiety worse.

I visted over the weekend and discovered that she has been taking an extra tablet which isnt in her Dosset box (weird)

I phoned the Dr to find out why she has been prescribed another tablet and they have no record of it. The Pharmacy had issued a prescription to my Mum in error. This prescription was for someone else but they managed to stick my Mum's name on the box and sent it to her

The pharmacy have no paperwork for the prescription so don't even know who it was supposed to be for !!!

Mum just took the new tablet, she has no reason to doubt what arrives from the pharmacy and honestly doesn't know one tablet from another

I am furious and have slept on it but not sure what to do next ......

Sorry for the boring post but I had to vent my anger somewhere and where better than the forum "

happened my mum last year,,she did end up in hospital with a perforated boweler the tabs she wa given by mistake,,still awaiting repis from thechemist and docs on this,,but luckily i know where the head doctor f our hospital has lunch,,so i can ask hm regularly,,otherwise id be chasing up letters/phonecalls till i was the age my mum is now,,

my advice is for you to go to her doc in the hospital,,get a letter from him stating er health,,and tabs she is on and if the mistake tabs couldv counter acted any of her meds or caused any other problems,,then hand in those letters to chemist with a copy of the pills she took,,

just as a matter of interest,,who collected the precription

Its worrying to say the least. Not just that it got sent but also that the people monitoring and caring for her missed to too.

You must give the box back to the pharmacy, they need to investigate the mix up.

Then contact PALS - Patient Advice and Liaison Services, google for the number that represents your area. They will ensure that the matter is looked into.

Your mums been checked over by GP I take it.

suffolk

"

just as a matter of interest,,who collected the precription"

It was deleivered with her Dosset box !!

There is a double check system use to make sure that what happened should not happen. Do you have the box if so there are normally two sets of initials on it to show who did what.

You should make a complaint about it. Make photo copies of all evedance you have.

Hope your mum is ok after the event.

Chris

IMHO, fisrt of all, determine what the extra tablet/capsule is for, how many she has taken, and the possible effect on her, including potential interactions with the rest of her medication.

Her health and safety should be considered first before deciding what needs to be done next.

For example, and it is only an example, if she was given antibiotics when she is not suffering from an infection, and the antibiotics does not interfere with the rest of her medications, then a short course should not cause much harm except to disturb her natural flora, and she may experience loose bowel etc...

In the pharmacy's defence, dispensing errors is a fact of life, however, adequate procedures and supervision should be in place to minimise the risk of errors from occurring.

I would advise talking to the pharmacist in charge, to find out what he/she would do to prevent future occurrence.

IMHO, how the error is dealt with, the attitude of those involved and in charge, would guide me on what to do next.

If the OP feels the matter should be taken further, then check out the General Pharmaceutical Council, the regulators for pharmacist, pharmacy technicians and pharmacy premises, on how to pursue a complaint.

Hope this helps.

suffolk

Thank you all for your good advice and kind words.

I have spoken to the pharmacy today, they admit their error and we now have an 8 week process to complete investigation. I just think it vital that this may prevent this happening again.

Must add, my mum is ok and no health contradictons from taking incorrect medicine, thank god.

» Add a new message to this topic