FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > School skirt ban!

School skirt ban!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

When we were kids,trousers on girls were banned in some schools,frowned upon in others.

Now,in our area,skirts are to be banned on morality grounds, W T F ?

We can't remember when we last saw a secondary schoolgirl in a skirt anyway.

At our schools wearers of overly short school skirts were taken to task.

We remember teachers getting the culprits to kneel down and then measuring the distance between the hem of their skirts and the ground.

The maximum permitted distance was 4" as we recall.

Perhaps more emphasis should be placed on ensuring pupils can read and write before they leave school,rather than worrying about the questionable morality of skirt wearers.

The times they are a changin'.

XXXX

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Not being racist here but I think burka's and headresses should be banned too and all school children be treated the same.

"When we were kids,trousers on girls were banned in some schools,frowned upon in others.

We remember teachers getting the culprits to kneel down and then measuring the distance between the hem of their skirts and the ground.

Perhaps more emphasis should be placed on ensuring pupils can read and write before they leave school,rather than worrying about the questionable morality of skirt wearers.

XXXX"

why not make em wear a scarf while they're at it.

Forum Mod

The teachers have become so pissed off with having to spend more time managing the lengths of girls skirts over such a long time than was reasonable that they decided it was a pointless exercise so they have now banned tham altogether

They felt their time cn be put to better use and I agree with them

Now however they are checking all the girls trousers to make sure that they're not too flared,too skinny,and sit on the waist and not the hips!

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

"When we were kids,trousers on girls were banned in some schools,frowned upon in others.

XXXX"

God, that takes me back too.

And i was so embarrassed at how they used my anatomy to measure the 4" gap.

mind you, i'm well educated now.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

whilst i think banning skirts is ridiculous i do think things need to be done about the length of skirts these school children are wearing!!

without wanting to seem too over the top the length of some of the skirts i see on the way to work is obscene. its almost as if they are teasing the kiddy fiddlers

Parents need to take a look at their kids before they go off to school, clothing manufacturers and retailers should not beallowed to make school skirts that are so short!

We get told about the sexualisation of children through the media all the time but i was in matalan the other day and there was a pre teen range of clothing called hooch

evesham

"Not being racist here but I think burka's and headresses should be banned too and all school children be treated the same."

with all due respect i dont think this si the same issue. these garments are often worn for religious reasons

"Not being racist here but I think burka's and headresses should be banned too and all school children be treated the same.

with all due respect i dont think this si the same issue. these garments are often worn for religious reasons"

freedom for some and not for others then.

evesham

"Not being racist here but I think burka's and headresses should be banned too and all school children be treated the same.

with all due respect i dont think this si the same issue. these garments are often worn for religious reasons

freedom for some and not for others then."

well not really, they have to wear those clothes for religion, children do not have to wear arse skimming skirts for any other reason other than to get johnny in 5b to notice them

"The teachers have become so pissed off with having to spend more time managing the lengths of girls skirts over such a long time than was reasonable that they decided it was a pointless exercise so they have now banned tham altogether

They felt their time cn be put to better use and I agree with them

Now however they are checking all the girls trousers to make sure that they're not too flared,too skinny,and sit on the waist and not the hips!"

I would agree with that teachers are there to teach not police a dress code. Any child that breaks rules in this way the simple answer would be to fine/bill parents for wasted time. After 2/3 £10 fines parents would soon monitor their own children as parents did 30 years ago.

Forum Mod

Is Johnny still in 5b?

He was there when I was at school

evesham

"Is Johnny still in 5b?

He was there when I was at school "

he keeps getting put back a year.....

By *urreyfun2008Man  over a year ago

East Grinstead

I propose a new rule no ankles visible in public for all under 21 year olds

It must have been the distraction of all those short skirts....Maybe now Johnny will concentrate on his studies and finish school

well not really, they have to wear those clothes for religion, children do not have to wear arse skimming skirts for any other reason other than to get johnny in 5b to notice them "

fair enough re arse skimming but that is not a good enough reason to ban skirts in my opinion, just that they should be of reasonable length.

By *ensual temptressWoman  over a year ago

Southampton

as we all know from being young theres always round the rules !

mum and dad may well monitor their daughter skirt as she walks out the door . domt stop the skirt from being changed once out of sight or the waist band turned over a couple of times ect ect . its down to the parents to raise their daughter to have self respect to not want to flaunt their booty in a skirt barely covering their arse cheeks ! also means parents have to make sure price of poker is wayyy too high that their daughter knows that wearing a belt as a skirt just isnt worth what theyd loose . when i was at high school i was no angel but sure as hell knew difference between a short skirt and an obscean one .i also know if i was caught wearing a micro excuse for a skirt my life would of been hell !! teachers are there to educate our children not raise and disapline them ..thats a parent job ! unfortunatly some parents just dont give a flying fig about there kids dress or behaviour and exspect the school to deal with it when they do nothing themselves .where as i think the buck starts and stops at home with the parents.

personally I would have hated to have to have worn trousers when I was at school (tho not as issue as it was a single sex school). I was so self conscious of my big arse, even tho I was only a size 12. Can't imagine how bigger girls would feel.

Forum Mod

We had to wear skirts at school yet all I wanted was to wear trousers

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

well not really, they have to wear those for religion, children do not have to wear arse skimming skirts for any other reason other than to get johnny in 5b to notice them "

+1

If parents let girls go to school in a skirt that shows their knickers then banning skirts seems the easiest solution.

i went to a convent school...the nuns just got us to raise our skirts for a beating...made me the woman i am today

I am uncomfortable with using religion to set or to justify clothing choices.

Example: If you worship Freya, or Aphrodite or such Goddesses then you should be allowed to wear sexually overt clothing, or not?

When my eldest two was still at school they stopped skirts as part of the uniform and girls was made to wear trousers

Reason being that the skirts was just getting shorter and shorter, to the point some was just beyong the joke, school children should not be walking around with their arse on show but some of the was, they used to send the girls home to get changed but then because they knew they'd get send home even more girls used to go to school in short skirts to get the morning off

So they just stopped skirts

personally i agree with the decision

I agree with the ban on skirts too.

Please don't take this the wrong way but I've seen young girls wearing skirts you'd expect to see a hooker wearing and in the Summer they don't wear tights or leggings with them. If you take a blossoming young girl who's taken care of herself she can have a shapely pair of legs and a nice figure, now put some make up on her and she looks a lot older than she is - and male teachers are confronted with this a dozen times over at each change of lesson. They're only human and it doesn't take a scientist to work out that sooner or later one of them will blur the lines of acceptability and cross over.

Young girls reaching the age of sexual awareness enjoy the developing new power they experience over the opposite sex - it's a part of life's process I suppose, but there has to be a point where education comes first and foremost and anything that detracts from it must be dealt with.

my daughter prefers a skirt but its never shorter than just on her knee. she's at an all girl's school very srtict if the uniform is incorrect they are sent home. no one is allowed to have skirt higher than just on the knee. no make up,no jewellery,flat shoes.

banning skirts i dont agree with they should have the same choice adults do. i had to wear a skirt trousers werent allowed. i know prefer to bwear trousers after years of beibg told i coudnt.

[Removed by poster at 07/10/11 06:33:17]

i had to shake my head in disbelief a few weeks back cos a local girl who i would guess is either in 4th or 5th year had a skirt on that was so short that her butt cheeks were visible as she walked

so perhaps schools feel its a losing battle re the length of skirts that they have decided to ban them all together

maybe if parents bought suitable skirts for their children to wear to school then this wouldnt be an issue

They did the same in my daughters school though not as strict but said it had to be to the knee. Some of the skirts I see schoolgirls wear, look more like a belt

I see your point but quite frankly girls should dress like girls not women

Some 25 years ago I was wearing trousers to school. They looked smart, were warm and practical ... And never stopped me getting boyfriends. I think both skirts and trousers should be offered BUT anyone coming into school with knickers on show or looking like they're coming for a day on the pull should be shown the door. None of this measuring nonsense, if you turn up looking cheap - home you go. Oh and I like the comment about fine to parents who continually send their kids dressed inappropriately. Spot on that one

In N Ireland we had to wear skirts and not allowed at all to wear trousers. Had to wear knee socks or black tights.. my god was it cold in Winter.

Even when it was cold the skirts were rolled up.. but there was a knack to it or you'd get a fold/crease in it and looked silly

"Oh and I like the comment about fine to parents who continually send their kids dressed inappropriately. Spot on that one "

I could leave the house in trousers and have a short skirt in my bag.. my parents wouldnt know

Utterly stupid... It's about choice...

Although on My school run yesterday a school girl was wearing a short skirt and no tights and knew everyone was looking......

Saw someone nearly run into the back of another car... This girl is upper school but she knew...

My daughter prefers skirts because we find trousers difficult for her due to her disability... So banning them would be discriminating....

At our school they don't measure just visual decision... And the girls get sent home to change. And if told twice... There parents get a letter.

Cali x

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

Whilst I totally agree its about choice, and its unfair to ban skirts completely, as someone else said it is what the male teachers have to face everyday, and its not fair to put them in that kind of position. Especially these days when a child only has to whisper something in the class room, and that teacher is tarred for life, guilty or not.

I always hated school rules dictating to me what I should and shouldn't wear. I still feel the same now. I think schools should be doing more to encourage identity amongst pupils, not making everyone look the same.

I think I’d be seriously pissed off as a parent if I’d recently kited my kid out with new school uniform in preparation for the rest of the school year, only for the school to ban some of the items I’d purchased a few weeks into the first term …..

I despair schools have become so ineffectual at managing even trivial situations without simply resorting to banning kids from wearing a particular item of clothing…….!.

To me this clearly identifies a glaring shortage of life skills many teachers seem to lack when they can’t easily control such minor incidents of rule breaking without blowing it into a major situation….!.

East Grinstead

School Uniform exists for the uniformity it creates. The aim being to create a group identity and get people used to following rules.

If a school cannot enforce simple clothing rules one wonders what else it fails to do.

It has been an issue for many years the short skirt one. Seems to recall my old school having a cupboard of spare stuff and people would be sent there to change and come back.

In terms of individual expression, that should come across from what the person says and does. And at school this would be through the school work.

By *yson38GWoman  over a year ago

Tyne and Wear

"personally I would have hated to have to have worn trousers when I was at school (tho not as issue as it was a single sex school). I was so self conscious of my big arse, even tho I was only a size 12. Can't imagine how bigger girls would feel.

"

I was a bigger girl, a size 24 -still am (now down to an 18 and very slowly shrinking) but this is now because of a medical condition. I couldn't buy skirts for school without going into the adult section so my mum made a lot of my clothes including my gym skirt. She always ensured they came below my knee as that was my preference as I wanted as little on show as possible as I hated my body. Trousers looked even worse on me

i personally feel sorry for teachers etc. They have no chance in this day and age.

The kids they teach dont fear the police, their parents, the law etc. What hope has a teacher telling them their skirts are too short? They have no way of enforcing it

East Grinstead

If the polite requests and threats of suspension from school offer no hope, then perhaps social services to pay a home visit, with the removal of child benefit as an option.

Sorry, but if people refuse to follow simple rules, then the more complex rules of adult life will never be followed. End result chaos in society.

Yes some parents don't care, or are still rebelling themselves, but without rules we are just a few steps of uprising and revolution in schools.

"i personally feel sorry for teachers etc. They have no chance in this day and age.

The kids they teach dont fear the police, their parents, the law etc. What hope has a teacher telling them their skirts are too short? They have no way of enforcing it"

Of course effective teachers can enforce it……!!!

But pandering to those who lack the ability in doing so, only further erodes their effectiveness and perpetuates the decline of standard in all aspects you’ve chosen to illustrate your point….

A worthwhile teacher should possess sufficient life skills needed to assist controling their working environment regardless of the law based constraint society expects them to work within…

If a teacher is subjected to situation where a pupil breaks the law of the land , teachers have the back-up of police intervention in the same way every one does and the weight of the law does apply to kids….!. but when kids hear adults saying it doesn't ,,, what sort of message does that send out!!!....

"i personally feel sorry for teachers etc. They have no chance in this day and age.

The kids they teach dont fear the police, their parents, the law etc. What hope has a teacher telling them their skirts are too short? They have no way of enforcing it

Of course effective teachers can enforce it……!!!

But pandering to those who lack the ability in doing so, only further erodes their effectiveness and perpetuates the decline of standard in all aspects you’ve chosen to illustrate your point….

A worthwhile teacher should possess sufficient life skills needed to assist controling their working environment regardless of the law based constraint society expects them to work within…

If a teacher is subjected to situation where a pupil breaks the law of the land , teachers have the back-up of police intervention in the same way every one does and the weight of the law does apply to kids….!. but when kids hear adults saying it doesn't ,,, what sort of message does that send out!!!....

"

Have you stood in a school playgrond recently? I do, every day when dropping my kid off. There is a kid of 5 in her school that was taken away by police for assault on a teacher, he already has an asbo and was banned from nursery for trying to stab a kid with a pair of scissors.

Model citizen!

They should sort the teachers' morals out first. I remember being pulled out of class at 14 to the front and made to stand with my arms outstretched with another lad who bore a resemblance to me. The teacher sat across from us (she was a blonde hottie in heels and short skirts) sideways on a desk so he and I could see right up her skirt to a big patch of love lawn. We were looking at each other and smiling, thinking she didn't know but I realised later in life she knew. She sat there an entire double period flashing us, the young long-haired blond lads who were her type, I guess.

East Grinstead

Even in my day the odd teacher would get punched, so whats new.

A big difference now is that what was once a local newspaper story, gets spotted and is national news inside 24 hours.

If a 5 year old is being violent, then chances are it is from copying of behaviour that it sees as normal and common.

I remember having schools where you were scared of some teachers, saw others as friendly, and some you would fancy . A school needs this mixture, and also remember the less academic and trouble makers being steered differently, e.g. the trades and lots of hands on practical stuff rather.

Suspect some of this has been lost with the various league tables now.

"Have you stood in a school playgrond recently? I do, every day when dropping my kid off. There is a kid of 5 in her school that was taken away by police for assault on a teacher, he already has an asbo and was banned from nursery for trying to stab a kid with a pair of scissors.

"

So ,,,,, perhaps if his teachers had the appropreate life skills needed to control unruly children in their charge, that child might not have ended up in the situation you describe….

If someone is taking a position they have to way up whether they are suited to the task,,,, rather than take the job then expect to change the role to suit their inability to manage that role it effectively….

East Grinstead

We had a PE teacher who pretty sure was ex-military, and one boy (12 years old) was very gobby and punchy.

Out on rugby field, teacher stopped play, and said to boy you can have one free punch at him, but beware that a second would see a punch heading back.

The agro stopped after this, as boy caved in.

"We had a PE teacher who pretty sure was ex-military, and one boy (12 years old) was very gobby and punchy.

Out on rugby field, teacher stopped play, and said to boy you can have one free punch at him, but beware that a second would see a punch heading back.

The agro stopped after this, as boy caved in."

Effective as it was in that case , I don’t agree with your teachers actions….

A good teacher is able to resolve situations before they deteriorate into a need for aggresive control methods. Which is to all intense and purpose what the teacher resorted too himself in the example you've provided.

Adopting a preemies where mite is right, gives out a message that bullying is an effective tool for controlling other people behaviours…

We wore pinafores to the calf up to third year (age 13). They were designed so the hems couldn't be shortened. The girls with a growth spurt looked rather gangly as their hemline got shorter and couldn't wait till uniform changed to skirts. That pinafore had to last 2 years. We think making the distinction between 1st and 2nd years made sure we didn't grow up too fast.

It also put out a signal to the older lads we were not mature enough for them to prey on.

From 3rd year to 5th year it was an ongoing skirt battle but the rule was 4 inches above knee - anything shorter you were sent to needlework room to take hem down. Considering most of our teachers wore miniskirts underneath their gowns I think our school was strict but recognised fashion lengths and made a compromise.

If we got a note home about non suitable uniform this was a slight on the whole household as uniforms were very expensive and from specialist shops and your parents had to purchase wisely therefore we had to recognise the sacrifice a uniform cost in those days. We took our blazers off and my dad brushed them down and polished our shoes every single night. There were four of us and we were representing our parents in school.

In summer we wore desses in a blue and green tartan pattern and you could get the fabric and make them in any design as well as the ones you could buy. This is where we showed off our fashion sense. My mum was great on a sewing machine and made me some lovely ones.

I liked that it was strict at school. Nobody was ever in any doubt of the rules and didn't disobey. I don't know where the sense of community and pulling together went to. Perhaps that should be looked into more?

"whilst i think banning skirts is ridiculous i do think things need to be done about the length of skirts these school children are wearing!!

without wanting to seem too over the top the length of some of the skirts i see on the way to work is obscene. its almost as if they are teasing the kiddy fiddlers y

Parents need to take a look at their kids before they go off to school, clothing manufacturers and retailers should not beallowed to make school skirts that are so short!

We get told about the sexualisation of children through the media all the time but i was in matalan the other day and there was a pre teen range of clothing called hooch "

I agree with this. There's two secondary schools near me. The boys, even the ones with moustaches look like little boys in their uniforms but the girls? Skirts way up their thighs, black over the knee socks, tight fitting shirts...they look so provocative. Sad thing is, you can tell they just see it as fashion and are oblivious to the stares of the men around them.

East Grinstead

"We had a PE teacher who pretty sure was ex-military, and one boy (12 years old) was very gobby and punchy.

The agro stopped after this, as boy caved in.

Effective as it was in that case , I don’t agree with your teachers actions….

A good teacher is able to resolve situations before they deteriorate into a need for aggresive control methods. Which is to all intense and purpose what the teacher resorted too himself in the example you've provided.

Adopting a preemies where mite is right, gives out a message that bullying is an effective tool for controlling other people behaviours…

"

While a less than ideal situation I would agree, but occassionally a stand has to be made. Otherwise who is in charge, the pupil or teacher?

The dymanic is different once in sixth form, college, university as it becomes more of a mentoring relationship.

"While a less than ideal situation I would agree, but occassionally a stand has to be made. Otherwise who is in charge, the pupil or teacher?

The dymanic is different once in sixth form, college, university as it becomes more of a mentoring relationship.

"

I do understand a valuable lesson will have been taught to the unruly student,,,, he will no doubt have learned from the experience to tread more carefully in future knowing there is always someone able to meet the challenge of whatever behaviours he chooses to adopt….

However, I just hope that is the lesson he took from the encounter...

But yeah I do agree as a last resort,, its a tactic that has merit

» Add a new message to this topic