FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Dear Mr. Cameron

Dear Mr. Cameron

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I don't have any debt. Sorry about that. I got rid of my credit card in 1989, along with that pesky storecard I felt pressurised by your friends in commerce and marketing into buying while being unemployed under you lot at Christmas and wandering Debenenham's disconsolately looking for cheap presents for my family. Did your friends in big finance have to make the interest rates so freaking high?

So I'm delighted I'm not part of the country's problems, Although as I'm yet again unemployed under your lot I probably am ins ome way. It seems we get the blame for everything, at least when any of you need to divert attention away from yourselves. But I promise you I've never fiddled my benefits - y'know, that insurance policy I paid into like everybody else and for which I'm made to feel guilty by the very jobbed people who fiddle their home and holiday insurance regularly.

Should I ever fiddle my benefits I am fully aware I will not be able to apologise, blame an administrative accounting error, offer to pay the money back and get off scot-free, as almost all MPs including yourself, did over your expenses, Mr. Cameron.

I say 'your lot' but let's not kid ourselves: we live in the Capitalist west with two centrist parties - a right wing Labour and a left wing Tory. Spot the difference. I can't. Like it makes a difference. Boom and bust is how your friends in big finance operate. We just pick up the bill.

So. here's to not being in debt to big finance. You and your party should try it sometime.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

"I don't have any debt. Sorry about that. I got rid of my credit card in 1989, along with that pesky storecard I felt pressurised by your friends in commerce and marketing into buying while being unemployed under you lot at Christmas and wandering Debenenham's disconsolately looking for cheap presents for my family. Did your friends in big finance have to make the interest rates so freaking high?

So I'm delighted I'm not part of the country's problems, Although as I'm yet again unemployed under your lot I probably am ins ome way. It seems we get the blame for everything, at least when any of you need to divert attention away from yourselves. But I promise you I've never fiddled my benefits - y'know, that insurance policy I paid into like everybody else and for which I'm made to feel guilty by the very jobbed people who fiddle their home and holiday insurance regularly.

Should I ever fiddle my benefits I am fully aware I will not be able to apologise, blame an administrative accounting error, offer to pay the money back and get off scot-free, as almost all MPs including yourself, did over your expenses, Mr. Cameron.

I say 'your lot' but let's not kid ourselves: we live in the Capitalist west with two centrist parties - a right wing Labour and a left wing Tory. Spot the difference. I can't. Like it makes a difference. Boom and bust is how your friends in big finance operate. We just pick up the bill.

So. here's to not being in debt to big finance. You and your party should try it sometime."

A fair summing up i think .

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

excellent.

well said

By *inkershoes69Woman  over a year ago

maidstone

brilliant x

Even as a Tory supporter I thought it was a bit rich of Cameron asking people to pay down their credit card debt. How the fook is that going to help the economy because all that is going to happen is the credit card companies get their cash back. It's not going into the community is it?

I can see what he was trying to do but he failed miserably. If he wants backing for cutting the deficit he shouldn't be saying, "you cut your debt too," when the reality is that we can;t afford to pay soaring fuel, food and energy prices AND cut credit card debt. If anything, most people are increasing their debt just to survive.

C'mon Dave, open your eyes man!

p.s. Dear Dave,

Sack that belligerent old wanker in Justice. What a dick.

Ta,

Wishy.

p.p.s. Does Samantha fancy a 3sum?

all over the place

"Even as a Tory supporter I thought it was a bit rich of Cameron asking people to pay down their credit card debt. How the fook is that going to help the economy because all that is going to happen is the credit card companies get their cash back. It's not going into the community is it?

I can see what he was trying to do but he failed miserably. If he wants backing for cutting the deficit he shouldn't be saying, "you cut your debt too," when the reality is that we can;t afford to pay soaring fuel, food and energy prices AND cut credit card debt. If anything, most people are increasing their debt just to survive.

C'mon Dave, open your eyes man!"

the penny seems to have dropped ....he pulled it in response to the economists background chatter saying "has he gone completely mad"

Always the PR man Dave,but thats what you get when you fast track the oxbridge set into politics,very savvy on PR but lacking on content re conviction and policies .

The steely eyed tory glint only carries you so far.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

[Removed by poster at 06/10/11 15:54:54]

By *ensualfire88Man  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Dear Mr Blair,

I don't have any debt. Sorry about that. I got rid of my credit card in 1989, along with that pesky storecard I felt pressurised by your friends in commerce and marketing into buying while being unemployed under you lot at Christmas and wandering Debenenham's disconsolately looking for cheap presents for my family. Did your friends in big finance have to make the interest rates so freaking high?

Should I ever fiddle my benefits I am fully aware I will not be able to apologise, blame an administrative accounting error, offer to pay the money back and get off scot-free, as almost all MPs including yourself, did over your expenses, Mr. Blair.

So. here's to not being in debt to big finance. You and your party should try it sometime.

Same story, different day. FAR too easy to blame it all on one party or Prime Minister.

Torquay

Let's look at it logically....you have £10,000 sitting in your bank account with nothing to do....you are earning around 0.5%-1.5% interest on it.

You also have a credit card with a £10,000 debt attached to it, you can only afford to pay the massive interest on it every month.....you can't afford to repay any of the capital.

Would you be likely to keep the burden of that £10,000 debt, where paying just the interest every month is crippling you?

No Mr Cameron, you feckin' idiot....you would use the money you had in the bank to pay the sodding card off and eleviate the worry.

Does this idiot think that people have this high interest credit card debt for the fun of it?

They can't afford to pay their cards off because they are struggling.

I loved his gem of an idea this morning, don't spend unless you really have to....well that's going to work wonders for the struggling retail sector isn't it?

Sory but any credibility these clowns had built up has vanished this week, what with Cameron and that stupid bitch Theresa May and the immigrant and the cat he never even owned....

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

hello dave...

please tell me as a average person how I am suppose to pay off with any disposible income i have if that is being squeezed...

bit hard doing that if I have had a pay freeze for the last two years.. and this year i got 1%... if inflation is running at 5%, that gas and electricity stuff has gone up by 20%, petrol going up, car insurance going up....

whoopee!!!

I do understand what you are trying to do, but you have to understand that people are just trying to keep themselves out of poverty 1st.. and then look after everything else....

By *uckscouple2007Couple  over a year ago

Bucks

"I don't have any debt. Sorry about that. I got rid of my credit card in 1989, along with that pesky storecard I felt pressurised by your friends in commerce and marketing into buying while being unemployed under you lot at Christmas and wandering Debenenham's disconsolately looking for cheap presents for my family. Did your friends in big finance have to make the interest rates so freaking high?

So. here's to not being in debt to big finance. You and your party should try it sometime."

anren't the deby problems due to the extravagence of Blair & Brown? and that the current Gov are just trying to sort the mess those labour louts left behind?

Torquay

anren't the deby problems due to the extravagence of Blair & Brown? and that the current Gov are just trying to sort the mess those labour louts left behind? "

So considering that the USA, Canada, Germany, France, Italy, Australia, Ireland, Spain....and uncle Tom Cobley and all...are also in massive debt....would you attribute that to Blair and Brown as well?

God, they must have been busy.

Costa Dorada in Spain....very affluent region of the country, 93,000 private residential properties....12,000 of them empty and never been lived in.

Did Blair and Brown have the money for these buildings forced out of the European and American banks?....did they insist on them being built?

BANKS.

Bucks

[Removed by poster at 06/10/11 16:17:44]

Torquay

"[Removed by poster at 06/10/11 16:17:44]"

You obviously...or with intention....missed the part at the end so I will repeat it....BANKS.

Bucks

"

Costa Dorada in Spain....very affluent region of the country, 93,000 private residential properties....12,000 of them empty and never been lived in.

"

when was that project commissioned? in the past year or when Labour were in power here?

Bucks

but the thread is bashing our current government - not the Banks

Torquay

"but the thread is bashing our current government - not the Banks"

So are you all of a sudden the person who decides what we can bring up on threads?.....threads deviat all the time.

Dear (Call Me) Dave,

Isn't it about time you looked at yourself and then lived a day in the life of the average person who doesn't have a huge amount of cash like yourself.

Really Dave what were you thinking? In the week we find consumer spending and confidence at it's lowest for a decade you suggest...tightening the belt and paying down credit card debt.

Great idea apart from for anyone who owns a shop. Dave you and that smug prat who knocks about at your right hand have no idea what it's like out here.

Get off your chauffeur accompanied bike, sack your extremely expensive Personal Trainer and come and spend a day in the life. Sit in a dole office for hours on end while some dimwit condescends you. Walk round a supermarket not able to get the pennies together to buy the basics.

If you like make £67.50 last a week. You'd last five minutes.

Dave another thing I'd like to mention is that when we can't afford stamps to send people redundancy notices can we consider keeping our big nose out of other peoples' affairs.

Libya ring a bell? Afghanistan anyone? We get no thanks and our reputation goes down the pan. We do no good, obliterate a society then pay to put it back together again. More importantly real people's lives get lost when you send our brave lads and lasses into battle.

It's alright you "striding the world stage" (no doubt in readiness for some career afterwards pressing the flesh for a bank or someone) but it's real people you send to do your dirty work "in theatre".

Think of them, think of the cost and think of the families on all sides.

Why not mend this broken society instead of stirring up someone else's pot?

Or was that not on the syllabus at Eton?

Bucks

so Banks may have been responsible for the housing in Spain you refer to ... but point remains that the financial crisis we have here at home was started by the previous management !

Newcastle and Gateshead

"but the thread is bashing our current government - not the Banks"

bit of context with may help you bucks...

the thread started as an answer to what cameron said in his conference speech yesterday....

Cameron had planned to say: ‘The only way out of a debt crisis is to deal with your debts. That means households – all of us – paying off the credit card and store card bills.’

previews provoked claims that he was out of touch with ordinary people’s money worries.

The Prime Minister then dropped a call for the public to pay off credit card bills following a storm of protest that those in the red cannot afford to clear their debts.

That instruction – contained in an earlier version of the speech, circulated to journalists the night before – was hastily redrafted after hard-up voters called radio phone-ins to protest.

That was changed to: ‘The only way out of a debt crisis is to deal with your debts. That’s why households are paying down their credit card and store card bills.’

Torquay

In the middle of a massive recession, with people unable to feed their families in many tens of thousands of cases, pensioners struggling to even think about how they are going to afford heating this coming winter....

We manage to spend up to £500 Million (That's half a Billion pounds folks!)

bombing the really frightening state of Libya....

Dear Mr Tesco

I am really sorry your sales are down.

However I am sure your 6.5% increase in profits illustrates to us all just how much you are sucking out of us even though we haven't made as many sales.

Every little helps.

By *andcCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire and London

"

So considering that the USA, Canada, Germany, France, Italy, Australia, Ireland, Spain....and uncle Tom Cobley and all...are also in massive debt....would you attribute that to Blair and Brown as well?

BANKS."

No..but it's still their fault!

For example if mr and Mrs Jones, a couple of doors away from you, spends loads on their credit card and makes themselves bankrupt. You wanted to keep up with the Jones, so you spend the sames has they did and also went bankrupt, who's fault is that? Mr and Mrs Jones or you?

Just because other countries are in debt doesn't mean we had to follow, they should of seen it coming, there were warnings from many econimists and commentators, they just didn't listen. It's their fault, it happened on their watch!!!

Torquay

Should the banks have been forcibally constrained under Brown, yes of course they should have, should strict lending regulations have been brought in by Browns government?....yes to that too.

Would the Tories have fought it tooth and nail?....damn right they would have!

Have the Coalition made any major inroads into bringing in stricter lending regulations since they were elected?

NO....

It's all very well this lily livered coalition moaning about Browns tenure as Prime Minister, they are right to do so, but to moan about it and then do very little to force constraint on the banks themselves is almost unbelievable.

I would have much more respect for Osbourne if he had gone head to head with these ridiculous banks....but instead he has threatened plenty and done next to nothing.

Shame on him

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

BANKS.

For example if mr and Mrs Jones, a couple of doors away from you, spends loads on their credit card and makes themselves bankrupt. You wanted to keep up with the Jones, so you spend the sames has they did and also went bankrupt, who's fault is that? Mr and Mrs Jones or you?

Just because other countries are in debt doesn't mean we had to follow, they should of seen it coming, there were warnings from many econimists and commentators, they just didn't listen. It's their fault, it happened on their watch!!!"

which is all well and good... but then name me one country in the western world that acted on the call from the economists?...

Cheshire and London

"

BANKS.

Just because other countries are in debt doesn't mean we had to follow, they should of seen it coming, there were warnings from many econimists and commentators, they just didn't listen. It's their fault, it happened on their watch!!!

which is all well and good... but then name me one country in the western world that acted on the call from the economists?..."

THEY may not of acted but again this doesn't make it right for OUR government to use that has an excuse for them.

There are countries in the world which got away very lightly with the crash, what did they do right?

Torquay

"

BANKS.

which is all well and good... but then name me one country in the western world that acted on the call from the economists?...

THEY may not of acted but again this doesn't make it right for OUR government to use that has an excuse for them.

There are countries in the world which got away very lightly with the crash, what did they do right?

"

Name those countries please?

Out of interest

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

"

BANKS.

Out of interest"

Poland for one.

Cheshire and London

To name but a few:

India, China, Canada, Sweden, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Argentina, Malaysia, UAE.....

They all escaped the original problem , some are now slowing, but this is due to other countries slowing and not bying their products etc...

Torquay

"

BANKS.

Out of interest

Poland for one. "

Poland....In receipt of massive EU development grants as a recent entrant to the EU and below the bar on social progression when they entered.

Poor National Health system, so very little strain on their finances.

Little or no investment from their own national bank, the NBP, in major housing projects or tourism projects so little exposure to over development...which has been seen in Greece, Italy, Spain, Ireland, Portugal.

Poor national benefits system, so no overspending there.

And finally, and probably most importantly....up to Fifteen per cent of their adult population moving abroad to work, bringing the wages and savings back home and boosting their banks and house building in industries.

Oh....and very little overseas development grants to African nations come from Poland

Torquay

"To name but a few:

India, China, Canada, Sweden, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Argentina, Malaysia, UAE.....

They all escaped the original problem , some are now slowing, but this is due to other countries slowing and not bying their products etc..."

China...fasting growing economy in the world, cheapest labour market in the world, tiny imports compared to exports.

India....second fastest economy in the world (see China for details)

Australia....simply not true, their economy is in a downward spiral, major inflation in food prices.

Canada....see Australia, simply not true. They have been exposed to major banking investment problems in building developments in the USA.

UAE....are you serious?...OIL

Malaysia....see India and China, tiny labour costings on export goods

Cheshire and London

"To name but a few:

They all escaped the original problem , some are now slowing, but this is due to other countries slowing and not bying their products etc...

China...fasting growing economy in the world, cheapest labour market in the world, tiny imports compared to exports.

India....second fastest economy in the world (see China for details)

Australia....simply not true, their economy is in a downward spiral, major inflation in food prices.

Canada....see Australia, simply not true. They have been exposed to major banking investment problems in building developments in the USA.

UAE....are you serious?...OIL

Malaysia....see India and China, tiny labour costings on export goods"

are you serious!

These aren't countries I picked out of the air, they ARE countries that escaped relatively unscathed, not my opinion but world econimists opinions!

like I said some of these countries are now having issues but they are not liked to the original crash directly.

Just because a country has low labour cost(Relative to us) isn't the whole picture, china and India have massive infrastructure and building cost to pay for.

WE JUST GOT TOO GREEDY and now we got to pay for it.

Torquay

You can't have it both ways, you live in Britain, you expect a world class health service....you take it for granted.

You expect that should you be put out of work that you will fall under the umbrella of the state and receive benefits....you take it for granted.

You expect that you will be paid a decent wage for work that you undertake....you take it for granted.

You expect that your children will be offered a decent education, at least to the age of 16....you take it for granted.

IT ALL COSTS

You live in India, Malaysia, China, Taiwan, Brazil, etc. etc......you won't get any of the above. Your children will be expected in general to leave education at the age of or Eleven or Twelve unless you are relatively wealthy.

You become ill?.....live with it.

You become unemployed?....live with it.

You expect help when you get old?....live with it.

Minimum wage?.....do me a favour.

You just cannot compare developing nations to countries like the UK, Germany, USA etc.

They don't make provision for most of the things you come to expect (and demand) in the UK.

Countries like Brazil, India and China suffer from almost criminal inequality.

Bucks

"Should the banks have been forcibally constrained under Brown, yes of course they should have, should strict lending regulations have been brought in by Browns government?....yes to that too.

Would the Tories have fought it tooth and nail?....damn right they would have!

Have the Coalition made any major inroads into bringing in stricter lending regulations since they were elected?

NO....

It's all very well this lily livered coalition moaning about Browns tenure as Prime Minister, they are right to do so, but to moan about it and then do very little to force constraint on the banks themselves is almost unbelievable.

I would have much more respect for Osbourne if he had gone head to head with these ridiculous banks....but instead he has threatened plenty and done next to nothing.

Shame on him"

excellent point, well made ... appreciate the unbiased opinion against which have nothing but agreement

Cheshire and London

"You can't have it both ways, you live in Britain, you expect a world class health service....you take it for granted.

You expect that should you be put out of work that you will fall under the umbrella of the state and receive benefits....you take it for granted.

You expect that you will be paid a decent wage for work that you undertake....you take it for granted.

You expect that your children will be offered a decent education, at least to the age of 16....you take it for granted.

IT ALL COSTS

You live in India, Malaysia, China, Taiwan, Brazil, etc. etc......you won't get any of the above. Your children will be expected in general to leave education at the age of or Eleven or Twelve unless you are relatively wealthy.

You become ill?.....live with it.

You become unemployed?....live with it.

You expect help when you get old?....live with it.

Minimum wage?.....do me a favour.

You just cannot compare developing nations to countries like the UK, Germany, USA etc.

They don't make provision for most of the things you come to expect (and demand) in the UK.

Countries like Brazil, India and China suffer from almost criminal inequality."

I have been to both India and Malaysia and would happily live in either.

While they do have some issues in some ways it's better than here.

Malaysia has a very good system, mainly left by the British when we left, the ONLY thing they have different is no pensions, they have to have private pensions NO state pension. If you need a doctor etc.. usually you get seen the same day.. a national health service and many other things.

One thing they do have is 99% employment, the reason, instead of paying people for doing nothing, they let companies pay NO tax, so all the main international companies have set up there, but the advantage to the country everybody working paying tax, less crime etc.. but imagine if a government here said that companies didn't need to pay tax.. everybody would say.. the rich getting away with it again!!!!!

Has for india many people have a different attitude to us brits, they are generally happy with their lot!

But just because they get paid less relative to us, doesnt mean it's hell on earth either. I work for JCB here in the UK, we get a lot more wages than those working for JCB in India, but, it buys relatively the same things.

But looking at what you're saying in general we got it good here.. Education, benefits, health... so we all got it good really? which is true, whats the worst that could happen to you! on the dole living in a council house.. I'd be happy with that.. better than living in China, India, Malaysia... according to you!!!!!

Torquay

You have been to India and Malaysia as a tourist, a world apart from living there as a national.

I too would be happy living in India, but I would have the benefit of going there and being judged as fairly wealthy compared to the vast majority of Indians.

You CANNOT compare being born to an average Indian family and going to live in India as a Brit, you could go there with a Thousand Pounds in your pocket and be seen as relatively well off....you can comfortably live on that for a whole year over there.

The average annual Indian wage in 2011 is around 42,000-45,000 Rupees....or around £550.

Find yourself in one of the backstreet factories or working in the fields and that annual average income drops to less than 20,000 Rupees....or just over £250.

India has a totally inadequate health service, and a high infant mortality rate.

So yes, with your Western standing, and ability to buy a healthy existance in India I have no doubts you could be happy living there....but please don't make out that the average Indian lives that same existance.....because they don't.

It is worth noting that when Britain crashed out of the ERM in 1992, George Soros made approximately $1bn short selling Sterling, (for those that don't know what short selling is, it's when a speculator sells something he has borrowed in the hope it falls in value before he has to buy it back in order to return it to the entity from which he borrowed it - basically he sells XYZ for £1 and before he has to buy it back it drops to 50p - his profit is 50%). Soros knew that the govt would have to devalue and leave the ERM, all the indicators were in place and he was ready for it.

If you jump forward 20 years to today, it's not hard to see that where economies are collapsing under the weight of poor banking regulations and high levels of debt that some smart brokers will know that there has to be a safe haven for their money - and those places are India, China and Brazil. Those are the so called 'Tiger Economies' that are on the up because they are not subject to the same exposures that economies of developed countries are exposed to. The market makers ALWAYS have a safe haven to switch their investments to, as, in any financial transaction, there is always a winner and there is always a loser.

The problem our govt faces is that so long as money is to be made in these safe havens there is no incentive for the market makers to switch their trunk investments back to the UK. It goes back to confidence, and that's was Cameron was hinting at in his speech - he was telling us that everything is in place but the confidence to see it through. The way I figure it is that they're the party in power and will be until at least 2015 so we can either wallow in shit for the next 3 years or getting busy doing something to get out of it. Labour can't do it for the sole reason that they aren't in a position to do so. What have we got to lose.

Torquay

"It is worth noting that when Britain crashed out of the ERM in 1992, George Soros made approximately $1bn short selling Sterling, (for those that don't know what short selling is, it's when a speculator sells something he has borrowed in the hope it falls in value before he has to buy it back in order to return it to the entity from which he borrowed it - basically he sells XYZ for £1 and before he has to buy it back it drops to 50p - his profit is 50%). Soros knew that the govt would have to devalue and leave the ERM, all the indicators were in place and he was ready for it.

If you jump forward 20 years to today, it's not hard to see that where economies are collapsing under the weight of poor banking regulations and high levels of debt that some smart brokers will know that there has to be a safe haven for their money - and those places are India, China and Brazil. Those are the so called 'Tiger Economies' that are on the up because they are not subject to the same exposures that economies of developed countries are exposed to. The market makers ALWAYS have a safe haven to switch their investments to, as, in any financial transaction, there is always a winner and there is always a loser.

The problem our govt faces is that so long as money is to be made in these safe havens there is no incentive for the market makers to switch their trunk investments back to the UK. It goes back to confidence, and that's was Cameron was hinting at in his speech - he was telling us that everything is in place but the confidence to see it through. The way I figure it is that they're the party in power and will be until at least 2015 so we can either wallow in shit for the next 3 years or getting busy doing something to get out of it. Labour can't do it for the sole reason that they aren't in a position to do so. What have we got to lose."

Our life savings?.....

"Our life savings?..... "

Do you have them all in one place then? There's no way on Earth I'd ever put all I had in one place. That's just asking to be mugged.

Torquay

Yes.....we keep them all in a biscuit tin at the top of our wardrobe.

Bradford

"

BANKS.

Out of interest

Poland for one.

Poland....In receipt of massive EU development grants as a recent entrant to the EU and below the bar on social progression when they entered.

Poor National Health system, so very little strain on their finances.

Little or no investment from their own national bank, the NBP, in major housing projects or tourism projects so little exposure to over development...which has been seen in Greece, Italy, Spain, Ireland, Portugal.

Poor national benefits system, so no overspending there.

And finally, and probably most importantly....up to Fifteen per cent of their adult population moving abroad to work, bringing the wages and savings back home and boosting their banks and house building in industries.

Oh....and very little overseas development grants to African nations come from Poland

"

You can list as many factors as you wish Jane, id doesn't alter the fact that Poland escaped the recession of 2008.

Maybe the very factors you mention, all though i failed to see the 5% or so annualised growth, are the it did so.

As another example, to boost it's economy in 2008, Australia used it's surpluses built up from 2000-2008 to give every adult some $1,000 to spend.

Britain on the other hand, accumulated some £700bn of DEBT ( quite a bit ) whilst under the control of Gordon "i'm so fucking prudent" Brown, the vast majority of which was frittered away on non-investment.

"Yes.....we keep them all in a biscuit tin at the top of our wardrobe."

Do you see where I'm coming from though? The money men and politicians have been scratching around since recession hit in 2008 to try and find a way out of it but until the market moves in our favour it's just not going to happen. Rising energy prices simply hit us harder at a time when we're already winded from the last sucker punch. Quantitative easing does soften the impact somewhat but it's only a short term cushion as govt bonds will be worth less in a few years time when the govt may need them to raise capital again, and the knock on effect of that is that bonds will be sold cheaply, ergo more of them need to be sold to raise the capital required and then they'll rise in price so that the govt have to pay a lot more to buy them back in the future.

It all comes down to confidence as that is purely what a boom-and-bust cycle relies upon, hammer confidence and worried investors pull out, pump confidence back up and they flood back in. It's self fullfilling or self-defeating, depending on your position.

If we had been in the Euro, we couldn't use quantitative easing as it has to be set by a Central Bank for it to work - in our case, The Bank of England.

Yeah...I keep all of our savings in one UK High St bank....

Its protected by FSCS...

£85,000 per person per bank..

£170,000 fer joint account..

Kinda covers it within 7 days %*

Corz if I had £ 200,000 ...I`d spread my risk...

Thats castle in the sky shit tho....

Shame...

Bradford

By and large, the vast majority of economists state that Britains interest rates are too low.

Excatly what Japan had in the 1990's which led to a decade of economic stagnation.

The reason it is too low is because of the huge increase in personal and governmental debt accrued in the last 13 years, due to pigacy, and the "i want it all now" mentality.

"

By and large, the vast majority of economists state that Britains interest rates are too low.

Excatly what Japan had in the 1990's which led to a decade of economic stagnation.

The reason it is too low is because of the huge increase in personal and governmental debt accrued in the last 13 years, due to pigacy, and the "i want it all now" mentality.

"

Where`s Harry Enfield and his wad when yer need him.....we could do with some satire %*

Bradford

"

Where`s Harry Enfield and his wad when yer need him.....we could do with some satire %*"

Would you not be better off with the Beatles' "Dear Prudence"?

And yes, i'm aware that it was said to be about McCartney's sheepdog but that's not the point.

Satirise all you like but it won't affect the situation, nor indeed the soolution.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

As an aside...listening to a radio phone in/ discussion yesterday and a man text in saying he worked in a restaurant in Manchester and had had a busy night serving people who were at the Conference including MP's....and every one of them paid by CC

"

Where`s Harry Enfield and his wad when yer need him.....we could do with some satire %*

Would you not be better off with the Beatles' "Dear Prudence"?

And yes, i'm aware that it was said to be about McCartney's sheepdog but that's not the point.

Satirise all you like but it won't affect the situation, nor indeed the soolution.

"

Ach...chill mucker...

There`s a solution...fuck me

I dunno..no more...always taken a passing interest in economics....but it appears every fucker (thats economist of note)has a differing opinion on how to get our necks out of the stocks..

Seems to me we had a decade of boom....its time to pay the bill, with reality...

I`m kinda with you on pigacy by the way...and I wouldn`t split hairs over the charms of Prudence...

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

" It goes back to confidence, and that's was Cameron was hinting at in his speech - he was telling us that everything is in place but the confidence to see it through. The way I figure it is that they're the party in power and will be until at least 2015 so we can either wallow in shit for the next 3 years or getting busy doing something to get out of it. "

Thing is the majority of the elecorate who bothered to vote did'nt have the confidence in any of the 2 main parties.

The conservatives should have walked it, but even with the economy in shit state they still could'nt cut the mustard.

Lets be honest and put aside the 'best of a bad bunch' argument, neither party have anyone 'in charge' who most people would follow into a pub!

We are lacking leadership and someone wants to grow some as by all accounts this next crisis if not averted will make 2008 look like a tea party.

Osborne has bottled it as did the last lot by not taking over one of the banks we all but own and using it to actually loan to small business, stop people going to back street criminals to exist etc etc.

'They' the political parties all have problems during conference season but for dave to have been standing up and about to say what was originally drafted and lets be honest thought by dave and george is shocking and does signify people out of touch with the majority of people in the country at the present time.

Not good, not good at all

Why would the govt wish to burden itself with state-owned entities such a banks? We used to have state-owned industry and it was a total mess with workers skiving off playing poker behind the packing crates all day comfortable in the knowledge they had a job for life and a nice fat pension at the end of it.

I never want to see a return to those bad old days, and it's far better for the govt to regulate than own outright. The Chancellor is caught between a rock and hard place and he's damned if he does regulate too heavily and dmaned if he doesn't regulate at all. Over regulation sends the message that we don't trust or have confidence - that word again - in our financial institutions, and regardless of what the general consensus is to the man in the street, the markets react swiftly to bad news. If Osbourne gets too heavy handed with the banks the markets will crash.

This whole fiasco has it's roots firmly in America and the Euro - the U.S. with it's toxic debt, and the EU with it's stubborn refusal to accept that the single currency has failed, and we are caught firmly in the headlights of both of them.

pigacy

these smileys make it up as they go along

"pigacy"

you just wanted to us the icon, dintcha?

now i'm just thinking of words that contain the letters of smileys

like lollipop

shit, didn't work

Bradford

[Removed by poster at 06/10/11 22:16:02]

By *oole2010Couple  over a year ago

southampton

well the debate seems to gone from cameron to the banks and the global economy true the banks invested heavily in middle americas property market giving loans to people who couldnt afford it the bubble had to burst as brown and his cronies spent the extra money during these years on frivoulous projects theres a host of reasons why we are where we are with debt new labour or should i say the champagne socialists didnt mind when they were quaffing the best champers in the same room as the banks and the tax was rolling in new labour forgot the old labour values signing up to eu treatys that we didnt want alistair darling actually signed a paper that said we will help europe out with cash if anything happened nice one as u only had 2 months before an election the eu will drag us down and greece will go under the eu wont work cos we have different values to other nations while the greeks expect to retire at 55 are we supposed to accept we have to work till we are 70 to pay for their sunbathing ? as for poland the polish prime minister hasnt got a 180 billion pound a year welfare bill hanging over him he even said himself in the british press last year no wonder our citizens are going to your country in poland they have to work for 6 months to claim dole for 6 months and thats it after 6 months your on your own so theres a lot that call me dave needs to sort apart from the banks oh and angela merkel is up for election soon so is sarkozy it will be interesting to see how long the people of them countries will want to keep paying for greece etc as germany just signed up last week to give another 210 billion euro itself to greece me thinks it will get a little bit worse in this tunnel before we see the light hope call me dave has got plenty of batterys i think he may need them and im afraid so will we

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Would certainly give it a go as a short term measure, would show a bit of confidence and initiative from the current government.

May also unshackle the other banks from their own lack of willingness to actually do what osborne got them to agree to do and start lending to get some growth going.

Torquay

It wasn't until we were house hunting in the Salou area this summer that the full extent of the debt crisis hit us, we were taken to small estates of the most beautiful villas, all but a handful never lived in, with original sale prices of 300,000 Euros plus....with offers welcomed circa 125,000 Euros.

It is that bad that we were even offered the chance to rent brand new Four bedroom luxury villas for a year, for as little as 500 Euros a month on one development.

All you had to do was pay Six months rent up front, with the promise of a TOTAL refund of all rent if you then purchased at the end of the year....at a knock down price of 120,000 Euros.

When we had registered with the estate agents over there and got back home, we were inundated with e mails and letters from agents, and banks, offering hundreds upon hundreds of empty new homes in Spain, Portugal, Ireland, Portugal and Florida.

It's the world gone mad, these banks have thrown ridiculous money at developers all over Europe and Florida....the vast majority of whom have gone belly up.

Do we just sit by and allow these cowboy banks to pay no penalty for this debacle?

To do so will encourage them to do it all over again in Twenty years....they encourage greed with their lending practices.

Bradford

"It wasn't until we were house hunting in the Salou area this summer that the full extent of the debt crisis hit us, we were taken to small estates of the most beautiful villas, all but a handful never lived in, with original sale prices of 300,000 Euros plus....with offers welcomed circa 125,000 Euros.

It is that bad that we were even offered the chance to rent brand new Four bedroom luxury villas for a year, for as little as 500 Euros a month on one development.

All you had to do was pay Six months rent up front, with the promise of a TOTAL refund of all rent if you then purchased at the end of the year....at a knock down price of 120,000 Euros.

When we had registered with the estate agents over there and got back home, we were inundated with e mails and letters from agents, and banks, offering hundreds upon hundreds of empty new homes in Spain, Portugal, Ireland, Portugal and Florida.

It's the world gone mad, these banks have thrown ridiculous money at developers all over Europe and Florida....the vast majority of whom have gone belly up.

Do we just sit by and allow these cowboy banks to pay no penalty for this debacle?

To do so will encourage them to do it all over again in Twenty years....they encourage greed with their lending practices.

"

Does Salou still come with free salmonella thrown in?

Bradford

Is it me or do you not have to ask BANKS to borrow money from them?

I know they keep sending me glossy paper cheques made out to Mr Mushy for £1,000,000 but have you ever tried cashing one? No they're false.

Torquay

"It wasn't until we were house hunting in the Salou area this summer that the full extent of the debt crisis hit us, we were taken to small estates of the most beautiful villas, all but a handful never lived in, with original sale prices of 300,000 Euros plus....with offers welcomed circa 125,000 Euros.

Does Salou still come with free salmonella thrown in?"

It comes a poor second to living in Bradford I have to admit....

But the sun clinched it for us, even though the pull of Bradford was hard to resist.

Bradford

But the sun clinched it for us, even though the pull of Bradford was hard to resist.

"

Yeah, but Bradford could be the future

Torquay

"

Is it me or do you not have to ask BANKS to borrow money from them?

I know they keep sending me glossy paper cheques made out to Mr Mushy for £1,000,000 but have you ever tried cashing one? No they're false.

"

But they do have the obvious option of saying....No.

But they are financial experts....they couldn't possibly be wrong in taking the risk...could they?....surely not?

Torquay

Yeah, but Bradford could be the future "

Fair point.....does it have a Marina?

Bradford

Yeah, but Bradford could be the future

Fair point.....does it have a Marina?

"

Only after heavy rains, maybe more so since they dug the old 60's centre out and left it. Mind you it was an improvement.

Oh, and a few Allegro's too, albeit not taxed or MOT'd

southampton

im afraid they will be doing this again in 20 years remember the recession of the early nineties thats when the property prices crashed a friend of mine bought a flat and couldnt sell it for 8 years because of negative equity we will fall for the banks persuasive ploys again when the good times roll by thinking of new bmws etc thats what they do and no at the moment no prime minister or president will curtail the banks because when the good times do roll they pay billions in tax there may be another way to curtail them and that is to reintroduce the wages act the tories abolished i believe in 1983 it meant any employee is entitled to get their wages paid in cash (remember those days )now they have bacs which means the banks know every week and once a month for you salaried people get your money paid direct to them so its bingo time they have your cash all of it when it was cash paid every bill was paid in cash and what you had left was put in savings or stayed in the house so they didnt have our billions of wages sloshing around in their vaults and when they have all your cash they can even charge you for taking it out of their cash machines and they wouldnt be able to charge you a tenner a month for running your account either if you was paid in cash

Bradford

Really, do banks charge for current accounts? Fancy that.

southampton

well mine dont im with the biggest building society but they do take the piss with the so many charges they wanna bring in especially the state owned ones now even the bank thats advertising you can win 100.000 a month if you have an account with them i think the small print says or ive been told you have to have a savings account of 5.000 plus that should wittle the entrants down a bit in the current climate

all over the place

"

BANKS.

Just because other countries are in debt doesn't mean we had to follow, they should of seen it coming, there were warnings from many econimists and commentators, they just didn't listen. It's their fault, it happened on their watch!!!"

lol you got to go back 300 years then and blame them as that is how long we have had a structural debt in this country this is still one of the lowest periods of debt versus GDP ,dont believe the debt hype its bollocks and being used to smother another attack on average joe.

There were no warnings prior to the current banking crash anywhere in the world ...well one man in harvard wrote a book saying it might happen but got the reason wrong.

personally think it was the euro as when greece were suddenly able to borrow cheap money after joining they went for it big style.

To suggest brown cause the world recession is giving him a bit more credit than he deserves tbh.

Bradford

Do you not think that "GDP" is so flawed it's part of the problem?

Would "growth" in quality not be a far better indicator than mere GDP % growth?

Bradford

"

There were no warnings prior to the current banking crash anywhere in the world ...well one man in harvard wrote a book saying it might happen but got the reason wrong.

"

Not quite. Do you think all those people and institutions who picked up the profits were gonna warn us in advance? Someone, somewhere has got the readies.

One amusing aspect was seen recently where Apple had more cash than the whole US government.

all over the place

"

Do you not think that "GDP" is so flawed it's part of the problem?

Would "growth" in quality not be a far better indicator than mere GDP % growth?"

doesnt really matter does it, its a yardstick against which we have always measured the nations debt and all nations do the same.

Our average for the last 100 years being 9.7% of GDP it is now predicted to go to 11.9% of GDP so why the panic its just another blip like all the others unlike the late 40s/50s figure of 250%

Certainly no justification for chucking 500,000 people out of work and slashing benefits.And why try to clear it in one term of government,its unforgivable really,

Oh yeah Dave your supposed to slash the Armed forces in prolonged periods of peace not when they are fighting in 2 wars ..twat !!

"

Oh yeah Dave your supposed to slash the Armed forces in prolonged periods of peace not when they are fighting in 2 wars ..twat !!"

Two wars? Where?

The Taliban have been defeated and the Afghanis are now running their own country, hence our complete withdrawal next year. Iraqis are also running their own country too now.

Why do we need to maintain such a huge armed force when the Americans are always involved in any conflict we're involved in and they send 900% more troops than we do.

I believe they govt could have handled redundancy notices to troops stationed abroad a lot better, but then when is a good time to tell someone he/she is surplus to requirements.

"

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

~ Thomas Jefferson, 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

all over the place

"

Oh yeah Dave your supposed to slash the Armed forces in prolonged periods of peace not when they are fighting in 2 wars ..twat !!

Two wars? Where?

The Taliban have been defeated and the Afghanis are now running their own country, hence our complete withdrawal next year. Iraqis are also running their own country too now.

Why do we need to maintain such a huge armed force when the Americans are always involved in any conflict we're involved in and they send 900% more troops than we do.

I believe they govt could have handled redundancy notices to troops stationed abroad a lot better, but then when is a good time to tell someone he/she is surplus to requirements."

errr wishy if the Taliban are defeated why are we still getting body bags coming back and why are they trying to negotiate with them rapidly.

The Army is currently deployed in over 80 countries around the world. Deployments vary in strength from single military advisors to full operational deployments. Not all of the deployments are operational ,but our peace keeping remit to the un and Nato is substantial to say the least.

The Raf are still flying combat over Libya and the navy are all over the place dealing with pirates and drugs.

Now i remember the Tory govt cutting forces before,they even cut the funding to keep Hms Endeavour patrolling the south Atlantic (Despite the warnings it would send the wrong signal)as a result a lot of Brave men are under the ground in the falklands now.

The signals from the present and past armed forces are clear the cuts are too much and ill thought through.the americans even went as far as saying in effect we have left the world stage.

Now thats up to the govt of the day but you dont make cuts when bullets and shells are still flying its called commitment to the armed forces covernant....?Its typical this govt shelves people but commits to by trident at a 10 year cost of £100bn a system which can not possibly be used in the future without MAD (mutually assured destruction)

no wonder moral is at an all time low with over subscription to vr.

Take a look at the Army rumour network and see what the professionals think of Daves and cleggys efforts so far

By *rs WhiteCouple  over a year ago

South

Why were Spanish properties expensive,

because the majority of buyers were Brits who took out second mortgages on thier overvalued shoeboxes here in UK. Why are houses overpriced by a huge margin in the UK, because banks are prepared to lend way over the top of their worth to make a massive profit from gullible peasants.

THE ONLY REASON WE ARE IN SUCH A MESS IS BECAUSE OF GREEDY BIG BUSINESS WHO CONSIDER US AS NOTHING MORE THAN BEASTS OF BURDEN.

Torquay

"Why were Spanish properties expensive,

because the majority of buyers were Brits who took out second mortgages on thier overvalued shoeboxes here in UK. Why are houses overpriced by a huge margin in the UK, because banks are prepared to lend way over the top of their worth to make a massive profit from gullible peasants.

THE ONLY REASON WE ARE IN SUCH A MESS IS BECAUSE OF GREEDY BIG BUSINESS WHO CONSIDER US AS NOTHING MORE THAN BEASTS OF BURDEN.

"

Actually Brits are only the majority of property buyers in certain Spanish regions, up in the Costa Dorada most purchasers tend to come from Scandanavia and Holland. In other regions of Spain Germans make up the majority of property buyers.

The Brits tend to stick together, they like to turn areas into 'Little Britains'.

In the Costa Dorada there was a shortage of new property developments for many years, then in the mid 90's the big European banks ran out of developers to invest in over in Florida and turned their attentions to the previously under developed Costa Dorada.

This boost in development in the region coincided with the major downturn in the fortunes of these banks and the Credit Crunch.

By then it was too late, land had been brought up, mainly from local and national government stock in the region and bricks were already being laid in their millions.

What has transpired is banks selling housing developments at land and building cost, just to get back the majority of their investment in these failed buildig companies.

So what is on offer is houses and villas at cost price or less.

» Add a new message to this topic