FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > steve jobs

steve jobs

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

twitter is trending big time, saying apple have announced steve jobs passed away.

Rip

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

Merseyside

"twitter is trending big time, saying apple have announced steve jobs passed away.

Rip "

Trending ? How uhmmmmmmm what ?

"twitter is trending big time, saying apple have announced steve jobs passed away.

Rip

Trending ? How uhmmmmmmm what ? "

thinks its summit to do with many folk all jibba jabbering everywhere, either way sad to hear news of anyone loosing battles to illness

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

He isn't Daedalus CBS have retracted the statement

"He isn't Daedalus CBS have retracted the statement"

really? loads of sites are saying its true? if its some stupid rumor then thats sick,

a few news sites have said its true?

"a few news sites have said its true?"

Nope you're right he is dead. RIP Mr Jobs, I am writing this on an iPad 2, thank you for the innovation, it has made travelling and working around the world a far easier thing for a man to do.

I doubt any of Steve Jobs relatives are swingers, but...... My condolences for your loss, rest assured that life is not measured in years but by the deeds of men and in this Steve achieved beyond a hundred lifetimes..

Changed the game with the Apple technology. Respect and RIP.

Only 56 but had the big C xx

By *asandmeCouple  over a year ago

camden town

It feels so weird to turn on the TV and see that steve is dead... wow... this is so strange.

doesn't feel right without him here

RIP Steve. Even though I have been falling out of love with Apple in the past couple of years I am grateful for the beauty and elegance you brought to the tools of my trade.

Well it's on Apple's homepage and I don't think they'd fuck about like that.

RIP Steve. Weren't a great fan of your products but healthy competition is what this world thrives upon.

By *ssentialminx2011Couple  over a year ago

sheffield

GOSH !! No age !! RIP hun xx

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"It feels so weird to turn on the TV and see that steve is dead... wow... this is so strange.

doesn't feel right without him here"

really?? he was that big of an influence on your life?

dont get me wrong, its very sad and i know he did a lot of great things for Apple and in turn a lot of other comapaniesas they ahd to keep up!

I think its quite poignant that he managed to ast util the new iPhone 4S was released though

sad to hear someone the same age as me has passed away...it just goes to show tho that all the money in the world cant buy you health ???...

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

Rest I.P. Steve.

Trailblazer, genius and world changer.

The best and most successful CEO in the last 100 years.

I've used Apple computers since 1986, things will not be the same.

"It feels so weird to turn on the TV and see that steve is dead... wow... this is so strange.

really?? he was that big of an influence on your life? "

I was thinking the same thing...along with get a grip!

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

I was thinking the same thing...along with get a grip! "

I'm a graphic designer and Jobs and Apple's products have fundamentally impacted my profession and made my life a LOT easier. I'm not talking bout consumer products like iPhone, iPad or iPod.

I was thinking the same thing...along with get a grip!

I'm a graphic designer and Jobs and Apple's products have fundamentally impacted my profession and made my life a LOT easier. I'm not talking bout consumer products like iPhone, iPad or iPod."

He took on Microsoft and beat them in certain areas, that's to be admired, but I've never been a fan of Apple products - they're overpriced and there are cheaper comparable models from other vendors on the market. Where Apple excelled is that without Apple there wouldn't BE other vendors making similar equipment.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I was thinking the same thing...along with get a grip! "

Probably because the computer that you are typing on from now owes a lot to job's vision....

from computers, to the music industry, to giving the world smartphone, to creating films and bringing back animation (remember he was the man behind pixar) the great thing is he has a drive and a vision

sad to think that with so many clever folk on this planet that they have not sorted the disease that took Mr Jobs.

It just stops at anybody's door and not a lot we can do about it

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Northants

"

Probably because the computer that you are typing on from now owes a lot to job's vision....

"

I would be interested to hear how Steve Jobs had an influence on my Windows PC (Which is still based on the old IBM and has a charted and natural evolution!) If that were the case, we'd all be using Apple Macs and not Windows PC's. And Intel would not be the company it is today.. Oh and Flash would never have taken off!

Agree about the smart phones and perhaps even tablets. (But did see a tablet design on a tech show a long time ago!) But I don't think you can attribute all PC's to him!

only 56 and all the money in the world could not help him ....... A very clever man who will go down in History RIP X

While he created a slew of misguided Apple snobs he was a cool guy for a business visionary.

On the plus side, I know somebody who wants his job and has the chops for it.

A great inventor!

I bought Mrs Artful his wonderful creations, the I-ron and I-roning board for her birthday.

Still can't understand why I had to live in the shed for 3 days though

By *ickens CiderMan  over a year ago

taunton

"

I would be interested to hear how Steve Jobs had an influence on my Windows PC (Which is still based on the old IBM and has a charted and natural evolution!) If that were the case, we'd all be using Apple Macs and not Windows PC's. And Intel would not be the company it is today.. Oh and Flash would never have taken off!

Agree about the smart phones and perhaps even tablets. (But did see a tablet design on a tech show a long time ago!) But I don't think you can attribute all PC's to him!"

Well from memory somewhere Gates and Jobs worked on projects together in student days and it was Gates that adapted what was the simplier to use Apple operating system in his version which became windows? So please respect the guy for a little bit more than you think... he was a genius! He lead and many many others followed...

And even all those Pixar animated movies so many people love... Jobs and he's technology help them as a studio produce some of the best films... its sad to seethe sad loseof a true visionary

Northants

"

Well from memory somewhere Gates and Jobs worked on projects together in student days and it was Gates that adapted what was the simplier to use Apple operating system in his version which became windows? So please respect the guy for a little bit more than you think... he was a genius! He lead and many many others followed...

And even all those Pixar animated movies so many people love... Jobs and he's technology help them as a studio produce some of the best films... its sad to seethe sad loseof a true visionary "

Hold on a minute! I didn’t say I didn’t respect the guy! I do not deny that in his field he was a genius! But in reply to another post, I did ask what impact he had on the PC as I know it today and the answer seems to be very little if any. To say that Steve Jobs worked with Bill Gates when they were students is a little tenuous and if Bill Gates did see something in Steve Jobs work that spawned the idea of Windows, that says more about the abilities of Bill Gates than Steve Jobs. Just look whose system is dominant in the market!

I do agree with the poster above, he has made loads of Apple iSnobs, but that was due to very clever marketing in the early days rather than being the best. Whoever thought of the white headphones and then giving iPods away to celebrities.. True genius. They tapped in at the right time to the “Celebrity culture” and whether by luck or judgement, made all those followers of fashion want one. And so it goes on today..

The guy was very good at what he did and was the saviour of Apple. In the field of mobile technology, he will be sorely missed

Actually, has anyone else noticed the proliferation of “i” products from other manufacturers? Saw a pushchair the other day called the “iCandy”. Getting a bit like D&G!

By *ensualfire88Man  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Somewhat ironic that a man so blessed with intelligence is dead because of his own crass stupidity. A man who changed the way the world uses technology died because he didn't use modern techniques which were capable of saving his life.

Most pancreatic cancers are aggressive and always terminal, but Steve Jobs was lucky (if you can call it that) and had a rare form called an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which is actually quite treatable with excellent survival rates — if caught soon enough.

The median survival is about a decade, but it depends on how soon it’s removed surgically. Steve caught his very early, and should have expected to survive much longer than a decade.

Unfortunately Steve relied on a naturopathic diet instead of early surgery. There is no evidence that diet has any effect on islet cell carcinoma. As he dieted for nine months, the tumor progressed, and took him from the high end to the low end of the survival rate.

Why did he do this? Well, outsiders like us can’t know; but many who avoid medical treatment in favor of unproven alternatives do so because they’ve been given bad information, without the tools or expertise to discriminate good from bad. Steve was exposed to such bad information, as are we all.

Eventually it became clear to all involved that his alternative therapy wasn’t working, and from then on, by all accounts, Steve aggressively threw money at the best that medical science could offer. But it was too late. He had a Whipple procedure. He had a liver transplant. And then he died.

Next time you come across someone espousing the benefits of homoeopathic, naturopathic, holistic or other voodoo based healing, do the human race a favour and punch them in the face for being the charlatans they are.

Having worked in CGI I've always known there were bigger and more powerful PCs than the Mac-loving designers were gushing about.

I met a Mac developer once. He said there are Mac viruses (my GF's Mac had just had one) but they're not so prevalent because Macs are harder to develop for than Windows. This is also the reason there is a wider choice of apps for a Windows PC. Greater choice for a few blue screens of death? Gets my vote.

"

Agree about the smart phones and perhaps even tablets. (But did see a tablet design on a tech show a long time ago!) But I don't think you can attribute all PC's to him!"

Although he did not invent it, Jobs spotted the potential of the mouse and on-screen curser. This revolutionised the way we interacted with our computer. Microsoft stuck with using lines of instruction for a long time afterwards, Bill Gates eventually (badly) copied Apple with Windows 3 onwards.

Windows dominance of the PC market is due to a very savvy licensing deal Bill Gates did with IBM who never believed their newly-developed "Personal Computer" would be very popular...Once he had his claws in the operating system he controlled - and held back - the evolution of most PC software.

So without Steve Jobs we might still be sat in front of a black screen with green writing, slowly typing in DOS commands.

Oh, also Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web on another Steve Jobs computer, a nEXT

Having criticised Gates, I give him maximum kudos for pledging to give away 95% of his personal fortune to good causes and getting people like Warren Buffett to do the same, something Steve Jobs was conspicuously absent from.

Newcastle and Gateshead

would the mp3/mp4 player be what it is today would the agressive marketing of the ipod?

would smartphones be where they are without the iphone?

would the music industry be where it is now without the licensing agreements they have with itunes?

the ipad... the computers... and as I and others have said... pixar, which has revolutionised the movie industry...

the man influenced a generation whether people like it or not,

I find this quite a sad topic to be honest and not for the obvious reasons.

I just cannot understand why you guys have to end up bickering and slating one another on every thread that is posted

"would the mp3/mp4 player be what it is today would the agressive marketing of the ipod?

would smartphones be where they are without the iphone?

would the music industry be where it is now without the licensing agreements they have with itunes?

the ipad... the computers... and as I and others have said... pixar, which has revolutionised the movie industry...

the man influenced a generation whether people like it or not, "

Mp3s were about long before Jobs for a start and Sonny or creative or Archos have done a lot more than apple to develop the market.

Without itunes there would have been another agreement in place, the music industry is a big business and so would have developed in a similar direction to how it is.

Computer wise apple has always sold into a niche market and always been over priced, nice to look at nice to hold but overpriced. You only have to look at the tablet market to see that.

Pixar, well it has more to do with George Lucas and his Lucasfilm group for its initial concept and ideas.

Did the man influence a generation? No really although he influenced some into following a brand name rather than evaluating each product for its merits.

I scratch my head at people who constantly swallow anything with an i in it, i am not sure if its small mindedness, brand loyalty or naivety but Jobs developed ideas but if he hadn’t been someone else would have done pretty much the same. A clever man but far from a genius.

Anyway the world will miss him as he was possibly the best product marketing man in my opinion in a long time and even if he had flawed ideas he was an addition to society. My thoughts go out to his family although i hardly think they will be reading here.

Edinburgh

Presumably Einstein was nothing special in that if he hadn't come up with the theory of relativity someone else would have.

An interesting, but fatally flawed, proposition.

Northants

"I find this quite a sad topic to be honest and not for the obvious reasons.

I just cannot understand why you guys have to end up bickering and slating one another on every thread that is posted "

This is not bickering and no one has been slated. Seems your skin is very thin! We are having a healthy discussion on the life and influence of Steve Jobs. We all have differing degrees of aliegence to products and always will. Why should we not talk about that?

I respect all the sensible _iews on the forum even if I don't agree and I believe that those departed, in this case Steve Jobs, would have put up a very spirited defence!

[Removed by poster at 06/10/11 13:21:52]

Very sad though it is, Mr Jobs has died,,,,, and there is no doubting his contribution assisting the human race develop into a age, where new technologies are helping make life easier for many….!.

But its worth remembering the human cost that’s born creating the items his company sells…..

In just one factory where components for I-phone and I-pads are made,,,, There were 10 suicides among the workforce in one year alone,,,,

These events were blamed on the long hours, low pay and high pressure, which made for an unbearable working environment. Employess were expected to work intolerably long shifts going through repetitive manufacturing motions thousands of times during these shifts to meet targets set by the pricing demands expected by the likes of Apple’s marketing strategies….

Failing to reach these targets meant instant dismissal and the loss of sole income for families living in areas with no other option for employment available ……

Apples management knew about this situation long before they reacted to it, which was only after world media broke the story!!!!!!

So yeah.. I’m sad for Mr Jobs family …… but I’m also very sad companies like Apple wait until the cats out of the bag before doing the right thing for the right reason !!!

"Presumably Einstein was nothing special in that if he hadn't come up with the theory of relativity someone else would have.

An interesting, but fatally flawed, proposition."

Well Jobs didn’t actually discover or invent anything monumental, he did develop on other people’s ideas though with the likes of FaceTime and Mac OS X

Will he be remembered in 50 years? Probably not but Einstein will so you can hardly compare the two.

Like most of the towering personalities, he was a massive walking contradiction.

Like Soxy says, Apple has been very poor in its "eco and ethical" record yet it was the weapon of choice for most online and digital eco warriors, he marketed the individualism of the Mac whilst doing a good imitation of North Korea in running the company.

Stil he was a remarkable man.

"Presumably Einstein was nothing special in that if he hadn't come up with the theory of relativity someone else would have.

An interesting, but fatally flawed, proposition."

Yes, I absolutely believe in the spirit of human discovery that if Einstein hadn't discovered the theory of relativity someone else - someone in his own timespan - would have.

There are many people accredited with the ignoble fame of being second, Alexander Bell is attributed with inventing the telephone, but it is less well known that Elisha Gray submitted a patent for a similar device on the SAME DAY as Bell submitted his. Bell later used a liquid transmitter that was remarkably similar to Gray's but Bell is the one remembered for inventing the telephone.

Northants

An interesting, but fatally flawed, proposition.

Yes, I absolutely believe in the spirit of human discovery that if Einstein hadn't discovered the theory of relativity someone else - someone in his own timespan - would have.

There are many people accredited with the ignoble fame of being second, Alexander Bell is attributed with inventing the telephone, but it is less well known that Elisha Gray submitted a patent for a similar device on the SAME DAY as Bell submitted his. Bell later used a liquid transmitter that was remarkably similar to Gray's but Bell is the one remembered for inventing the telephone."

Yep and the Steam Engine. Thomas Necomen actually put all the pieces together to make the first, proper Steam Engine. James Watt later improved upon Newcomen's design to use less coal and produce more power (not sure of the ratio). But Watt is usually attributed as the inventor.

It's a funny old world...

Edinburgh

"Very sad though it is, Mr Jobs has died,,,,, and there is no doubting his contribution assisting the human race develop into a age, where new technologies are helping make life easier for many….!.

But its worth remembering the human cost that’s born creating the items his company sells…..

In just one factory where components for I-phone and I-pads are made,,,, There were 10 suicides among the workforce in one year alone,,,,

These events were blamed on the long hours, low pay and high pressure, which made for an unbearable working environment. Employess were expected to work intolerably long shifts going through repetitive manufacturing motions thousands of times during these shifts to meet targets set by the pricing demands expected by the likes of Apple’s marketing strategies….

Failing to reach these targets meant instant dismissal and the loss of sole income for families living in areas with no other option for employment available ……

Apples management knew about this situation long before they reacted to it, which was only after world media broke the story!!!!!!

So yeah.. I’m sad for Mr Jobs family …… but I’m also very sad companies like Apple wait until the cats out of the bag before doing the right thing for the right reason !!!

"

Love it!

Ten suicides out of how many employees?

Over what timescale?

Against an average per 100,000 of the population of how many?

Low pay compared to what, Western labour pay rates or local labour pay rates?

Before the Apple plant opened, the employment options for these people were better/worse/the same as before?

Nothing worse than highly selective statistics from bleeding heart liberals, who are exactly the kind of people who are happy to queue overnight for the latest shiny offering from Mammon that Apple decided they needed.

Fucking laughable.

"Very sad though it is, Mr Jobs has died,,,,, and there is no doubting his contribution assisting the human race develop into a age, where new technologies are helping make life easier for many….!.

Love it!

Ten suicides out of how many employees?

Over what timescale?

Against an average per 100,000 of the population of how many?

Low pay compared to what, Western labour pay rates or local labour pay rates?

Before the Apple plant opened, the employment options for these people were better/worse/the same as before?

Nothing worse than highly selective statistics from bleeding heart liberals, who are exactly the kind of people who are happy to queue overnight for the latest shiny offering from Mammon that Apple decided they needed.

Fucking laughable.

"

Sometimes I see something said that makes me so happy I got out and saw this world for real, and that I didn't allow my thoughts to develop in the shade of a black and white existence…

And that’s just a statement of my perseption …. Not a personal dig

"Somewhat ironic that a man so blessed with intelligence is dead because of his own crass stupidity. A man who changed the way the world uses technology died because he didn't use modern techniques which were capable of saving his life.

Most pancreatic cancers are aggressive and always terminal, but Steve Jobs was lucky (if you can call it that) and had a rare form called an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which is actually quite treatable with excellent survival rates — if caught soon enough.

The median survival is about a decade, but it depends on how soon it’s removed surgically. Steve caught his very early, and should have expected to survive much longer than a decade.

Unfortunately Steve relied on a naturopathic diet instead of early surgery. There is no evidence that diet has any effect on islet cell carcinoma. As he dieted for nine months, the tumor progressed, and took him from the high end to the low end of the survival rate.

Why did he do this? Well, outsiders like us can’t know; but many who avoid medical treatment in favor of unproven alternatives do so because they’ve been given bad information, without the tools or expertise to discriminate good from bad. Steve was exposed to such bad information, as are we all.

Eventually it became clear to all involved that his alternative therapy wasn’t working, and from then on, by all accounts, Steve aggressively threw money at the best that medical science could offer. But it was too late. He had a Whipple procedure. He had a liver transplant. And then he died.

Next time you come across someone espousing the benefits of homoeopathic, naturopathic, holistic or other voodoo based healing, do the human race a favour and punch them in the face for being the charlatans they are.

"

Jobs was a buddhist, and had been so since he spent a year in India in his 20s and he remained a buddhist and vegetarian for the rest of his life. He believed in the medicinal properties abundant in nature and tried to cure himself using that methodology. In this respect, he was a fool and it cost him his life, possibly.

His zen beliefs did not extend to his treatment of those that worked for him however, and he was known as a ruthless boss who would instantly dismiss anyone who disagreed with his vision for where Apple should be and the products it should develop.

A genius? No. A clever marketing man? Definately.

"Somewhat ironic that a man so blessed with intelligence is dead because of his own crass stupidity. A man who changed the way the world uses technology died because he didn't use modern techniques which were capable of saving his life.

"

Easy tiger, going a bit off subject here, but take It easy on the sweeping statements!!

I agree the medical route is best for treating cancer especially aggressive forms. But there is still a place for alternative therapys for all sorts of medical problems. It would be wrong to rule It out all together.

Unfortunately In Mr jobs case he took a risk with cancer that was too aggressive to waste time looking at alternatives to surgery.

Poor guy

X

By *uckscouple2007Couple  over a year ago

Bucks

always sad to see a life lost, esp to the Big C ..

but never been a fan of apple stuff .. much prefer Microsoft & Android (and thats even without going on to reference to the various patent suits between Apple, Nokia & Samsung)

Edinburgh

"

Unfortunately In Mr jobs case he took a risk with cancer that was too aggressive to waste time looking at alternatives to surgery.

Poor guy

X"

Poor guy my arse.

His cancer was only too aggressive to be successfully treated by modern medical methods because he fucked around eating nuts and berries for too long before going to a proper Doctor.

In effect, he killed himself.

He may well have been been both a Buddhist and a vegetarian, but now he's a dead Buddhist and vegetarian.

I find it ironic to a point beyond infinity that a man who's life was so bound to the latest technology died because he failed to make use of technology which was available to him.

In fact, as the day goes on and I read more about the Quack remedies he experimented with, I'm actually beginning to find it funny.

Northants

"Easy tiger, going a bit off subject here, but take It easy on the sweeping statements!!

I agree the medical route is best for treating cancer especially aggressive forms. But there is still a place for alternative therapys for all sorts of medical problems. It would be wrong to rule It out all together.

Poor guy

X"

And that is just the sort of rubbish that gives people hope that alternatives work! They don't! No matter what illness or cancer you have, follow the established medical route. By all means go with quack medicine if you want AS WELL, but always check that there will be no clash of medication.

A very dear friends dad allowed himself to be talked into alternative treatments and he went from an early diagnosis of Prostrate Cancer to death in 11 months. He refused to have any kind of chemo and would not look at surgery.

On the other side of the coin, my Brother-in-Law was diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma and went the established route. A year and a bit later, he is well and is having a second backup bout of chemo. His prognosis is good and we thank God that he decided to go "normal".

No matter what someone says to clarify what they mean about alternatives, those in desperate need are just likely to see "alternatives work"..

Edinburgh

People are gathering outside Apple shops and laying wreathes.

I'm speechless.

By *iggles and BeardyCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

You know the recession is bad when even Apple loose jobs

Newcastle and Gateshead

"People are gathering outside Apple shops and laying wreathes.

I'm speechless.

"

well he was so intergrated within them I am not surprised....

if col. sanders ever go.. i'll lay a flower outside my local KFC...

Edinburgh

"People are gathering outside Apple shops and laying wreathes.

I'm speechless.

well he was so intergrated within them I am not surprised....

if col. sanders ever go.. i'll lay a flower outside my local KFC... "

I hate to be the one to tell you about the Col, but...

...having said that I went to his cremation, 'twas finger lickin' good.

"

Poor guy

X

Poor guy my arse.

His cancer was only too aggressive to be successfully treated by modern medical methods because he fucked around eating nuts and berries for too long before going to a proper Doctor.

In effect, he killed himself.

He may well have been been both a Buddhist and a vegetarian, but now he's a dead Buddhist and vegetarian.

I find it ironic to a point beyond infinity that a man who's life was so bound to the latest technology died because he failed to make use of technology which was available to him.

In fact, as the day goes on and I read more about the Quack remedies he experimented with, I'm actually beginning to find it funny.

"

There is always one who tries to inflame a topic on every forum for perceived personal glory. Sometimes its best to leave topic alone rather than looking childish.

Edinburgh

Childish?

The man is dead when he could be alive.

He ignored modern medical science and tried to cure himself of cancer by changing his diet.

And now he is dead.

Because he was moronically stupid.

"Childish?

The man is dead when he could be alive.

He ignored modern medical science and tried to cure himself of cancer by changing his diet.

And now he is dead.

Because he was moronically stupid."

Yes the man died and all i see you doing is using the situation as an opportunity to get your self noticed. It's childish and uncalled for when a little respect is more appropriate.

Edinburgh

Why should I respect someone who lives on the other side of the planet, whom I have never met and have no connection with whatsoever?

Especially when he dies being quintessentially stupid about how to beat cancer.

This isn't about my self- aggrandisement. Any reading of any of my forum posts will instantly tell you I couldn't give a fuck about what anyone on here thinks of me.

But I will say it as I see it.

I cannot stand the mawkish sentimentality that follows the demise of anyone who has ever been in the public eye.

And I find it amazing that people see no problem whatsoever in posting stuff like "RIP Steve Jobs, taken too soon by cancer.

p.s I prefer a Nokia myself because I can't really get on with touch screens"

What is THAT all about?

Steve Jobs, the man who lived his life through technological innovation is dead because he went to the modern day equivalent of the Druids for a potion to make him better.

It's one of those 'laugh or cry' moments really.

I choose to laugh.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

I don't remember seeing any report where Steve Jobs wanted people to feel sorry for him because of his medical condition, maybe he just made a personal choice of how to deal with his cancer.....

His life, his choice, so not stupid in my book.

"Why should I respect someone who lives on the other side of the planet, whom I have never met and have no connection with whatsoever?

Especially when he dies being quintessentially stupid about how to beat cancer.

This isn't about my self- aggrandisement. Any reading of any of my forum posts will instantly tell you I couldn't give a fuck about what anyone on here thinks of me.

But I will say it as I see it.

I cannot stand the mawkish sentimentality that follows the demise of anyone who has ever been in the public eye.

And I find it amazing that people see no problem whatsoever in posting stuff like "RIP Steve Jobs, taken too soon by cancer.

p.s I prefer a Nokia myself because I can't really get on with touch screens"

What is THAT all about?

Steve Jobs, the man who lived his life through technological innovation is dead because he went to the modern day equivalent of the Druids for a potion to make him better.

It's one of those 'laugh or cry' moments really.

I choose to laugh.

"

You are obviously a jealous man if you can hate someone that bad you don’t even know. I’m guessing unemployed with financial or relationship issues to display so much distain to someone who has died today and you don’t even know. Anyway at least you are getting the attention you seem to crave but its not the right way to do it.

Edinburgh

"Ad Hominem"

Translated from Latin to English, "Ad Hominem" means "against the man" or "against the person."

An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument.

Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First, an attack against the character of person making the claim, his circumstances, or actions is made (or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of "argument" has the following form:

Person A makes claim X.

Person B makes an attack on person A.

Therefore A's claim is false.

The reason why an Ad Hominem (of any kind) is a fallacy is that the character, circumstances, or actions of a person do not (in most cases) have a bearing on the truth or falsity of the claim being made (or the quality of the argument being made).

I thank you.

woah chill out, at the end of the day someone has died, and it was his choice what treatment he wanted to try.

Personally i couldnt give a shit if the person is famous or not. Cancer is awful and think some respect needs to be shown

Edinburgh

"woah chill out, at the end of the day someone has died, and it was his choice what treatment he wanted to try.

Personally i couldnt give a shit if the person is famous or not. Cancer is awful and think some respect needs to be shown"

What did you find disrespectful?

It's a forum.

"woah chill out, at the end of the day someone has died, and it was his choice what treatment he wanted to try.

Personally i couldnt give a shit if the person is famous or not. Cancer is awful and think some respect needs to be shown

What did you find disrespectful?

It's a forum."

firstly i'm not into the whole arguing on a forum thing, so don't take it like that, but when you put

"Especially when he dies being quintessentially stupid about how to beat cancer"

A big chunk of folk have been effected by cancer and many are sensitive about how you talk about it, you obviously aren't stupid so hopefully you see where i'm coming from here

Edinburgh

I do see where you're coming from.

The point is that to try and beat cancer by changing your diet is stupid.

Look at all the people who were gathering outside Apple stores last night.

The man had influence. And someone, somewhere will get cancer and think,"I'll try that treatment Steve jobs tried, maybe it will work for me even though it didn't for him"

Hence another person will end up dead when they could be alive.

Everyone knows someone who has died of cancer. I know I do. But, caught early enough and with the correct medical intervention, it need not be life threatening in many situations. I have family members who have survived cancer through modern day medical treatments.

But trying to beat cancer by eating certain foods is difficult to describe in any other terms than "quintessentially stupid".

"I do see where you're coming from.

The point is that to try and beat cancer by changing your diet is stupid.

Look at all the people who were gathering outside Apple stores last night.

The man had influence. And someone, somewhere will get cancer and think,"I'll try that treatment Steve jobs tried, maybe it will work for me even though it didn't for him"

Hence another person will end up dead when they could be alive.

Everyone knows someone who has died of cancer. I know I do. But, caught early enough and with the correct medical intervention, it need not be life threatening in many situations. I have family members who have survived cancer through modern day medical treatments.

But trying to beat cancer by eating certain foods is difficult to describe in any other terms than "quintessentially stupid".

"

I get where you are coming from, i have lost some really really loved people through it, and if they had chosen to ignore modern medicines and try a dietry alternative i would probably be very frustrated because i'd beleive it wouldnt work and would want to save them through any means out there.

The thing is the untill i'm the one with cancer, it just isnt my right to say what action anyone else takes to battle it.

Theres no right or wrong, i do understand what you mean about steve jobs being influencial, you only have to look at certain networking sites named after bird noises lol, to see how many people were effected by his passing. But if people choose to follow his way then i guess that's their right?

Bottom line whoever is fighting it, or will go on to fight it, i hope whatever treatment they do works.

Edinburgh

If we agree with each other any more we'll get a ban for bringing down the bad name of the Forums.

Bottom line is people need to know that not all treaments are equal.

Some are scientifically proven with evidence to back them up.

Others are not.

People do have the right to choose whatever treatment they want. As long as it's an informed choice.

Which Steve Jobs did.

But it was a poor choice.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

god bless xx and thanks.. have a MacBook Pro and love it to bits.....

sleep well x

an apple a day keeps the.....oh.....

Edinburgh

"an apple a day keeps the.....oh....."

By *uckscouple2007Couple  over a year ago

Bucks

They say your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.

Unfortunately for Steve Jobs, he hadn't got a Flash player installed

they will bury him next week, then every six months dig him up and rebury him in a better coffin

I just cannot understand why you guys have to end up bickering and slating one another on every thread that is posted "

I was thinking the same thing...

Torquay

I am just amazed personally how certain people have dismissed the impact Steve Jobs had on the world of technology.

I can only put this down to a little bit of envy, we should be celebrating the success of people and not dismissing them as nothing special.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"I am just amazed personally how certain people have dismissed the impact Steve Jobs had on the world of technology.

I can only put this down to a little bit of envy, we should be celebrating the success of people and not dismissing them as nothing special."

envy on here never

The women on here would never do that! RAOFL

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"I am just amazed personally how certain people have dismissed the impact Steve Jobs had on the world of technology.

I can only put this down to a little bit of envy, we should be celebrating the success of people and not dismissing them as nothing special."

Thatcher was quite successful in her own way....

Torquay

I can only put this down to a little bit of envy, we should be celebrating the success of people and not dismissing them as nothing special.

Thatcher was quite successful in her own way.... "

Indeed she was....and I will be celebrating her death with a party and fireworks

A great loss

Thanks steve where would we be without ya xx

By *riseeTV/TS  over a year ago

MacKay

*sigh*

I have lost another close friend from my earlier years ... I was shocked to get a personal message. Really thought he had it blitzed.

As to how Apple influenced your Windows PC - Apple was one of the first to have a windows environment (yes there was one other I used them both) I was alpha testing Windows before it had a version number. I still have the 5.25" disks it arrived on.

Problem was at the time Apple was deploying windows, the PC was still an 8086 CPU and not capable of the hard number crunching without a math coprocessor which most people didn't purchase.

It wasn't till the 80286 was released with VGA graphics cards that Windows became a reality on the PC platform. THat was many years after the Mac Classic was well out and operational.

There were 'windows like' environments on MICA and other CPM based systems that used the 8088 processor which had the capabilities of 'co-processing' or simulated multitasking. But they were text based.

It was a shock when Steve got ditched from Apple for 10 years, and was the downfall of Apple at that time. Steve of course continued his passion. I had a little contact with him during that time, giving opinion on new technology ideas. I still have the emails and scanned hand drawn images.

I've lost a lot of friend the last few years ...

"*sigh*

I have lost another close friend from my earlier years ... I was shocked to get a personal message. Really thought he had it blitzed.

As to how Apple influenced your Windows PC - Apple was one of the first to have a windows environment (yes there was one other I used them both) I was alpha testing Windows before it had a version number. I still have the 5.25" disks it arrived on.

Problem was at the time Apple was deploying windows, the PC was still an 8086 CPU and not capable of the hard number crunching without a math coprocessor which most people didn't purchase.

It wasn't till the 80286 was released with VGA graphics cards that Windows became a reality on the PC platform. THat was many years after the Mac Classic was well out and operational.

There were 'windows like' environments on MICA and other CPM based systems that used the 8088 processor which had the capabilities of 'co-processing' or simulated multitasking. But they were text based.

It was a shock when Steve got ditched from Apple for 10 years, and was the downfall of Apple at that time. Steve of course continued his passion. I had a little contact with him during that time, giving opinion on new technology ideas. I still have the emails and scanned hand drawn images.

I've lost a lot of friend the last few years ...

"

Sadly...I only understood the first and last sentence of this.

"

Indeed she was....and I will be celebrating her death with a party and fireworks "

Mind if I chuck Tony Blair on the bonfire? Shame to waste a good blaze.

"

Mind if I chuck Tony Blair on the bonfire? Shame to waste a good blaze."

Best idea I heard in ages.

» Add a new message to this topic