FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > 16 grapes

16 grapes

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *octor Delerium OP   Man  over a year ago

Bristol

With the festive season upon us, I visited my 89 year old neighbour this evening.

SHe's had the usual 6 hours of paid carer time, this week, at £30 per hour (two carers) and the annual (yes, annual; and no telephone calls) visit from her daughter and son-in-law, who live around an hour from here in bad traffic.

I made ourselves a pot of tea and did a quick inventory of her fridge and larder.

1 pack of cheese and red onion sandwiches

1 pack of egg and cress sandwiches

2 Pot Pasta

4 bananas

3 satsumas

1 small loaf of bread

3/4 pint of milk

1/2 tube of Pringles (Original flavour)

1 litre orange juice

3 individual trifles

1/4 tub Flora (olive oil style)

1 chicken hotpot ready meal

1 Muller corner thing

16 grapes

That's it; no-one visiting until Wednesday.

Paid carers, and your own fucking family.

I'll be out shopping tomorrow.

If you have elderly neighbours, or family members at a distance, remember to check in on them; you might be the only one that gives an actual toss about their well-being.

Dr Nasty

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

£15 an hour for a carer? What do they do for that money?

"£15 an hour for a carer? What do they do for that money?"

I bet the carer is only seeing £7 of it

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

They actually don't do a lot and my mum knows that from years of experience! Unfortunately

That’s heartbreaking

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

As someone with very elderly parents who are relatively independent I would say don't judge the family harshly unless you know all the circumstances.

Old people can be manipulative, can forget phone calls or tell people they don't need help quite aggressively. You also don't know the family dynamic or history.

By all means help an elderly person out, I'm sure any of us would.

A small example. I offered time and again to clean my parents house and they consistently refused. Eventually I sourced a cleaner, who knocked at my door to tell me my mother had cried after she'd finished because the house hadn't been cleaned for so long. The implication being that I had neglected to help. Things are not always what they seem.

By *oubyLoverWoman  over a year ago

East Yorkshire

"

If you have elderly neighbours, or family members at a distance, remember to check in on them; you might be the only one that gives an actual toss about their well-being.

Dr Nasty

"

By *un4meanduMan  over a year ago

STOTFOLD

Probably say its not their job to shop ,I do maintenance at a couple of properties with 2 full time live in carers and they wont even sweep the leaves up that are outside so blowing in the door,or change a lamp that's blown its not their job lol

Cant be asked

Its not just the elderly either think of those with no support as well

Sorry rant over , have a good Xmas

We're quite close with our neighbor, she's 93 bow I think and pretty sound, still toddles off out and gets her shopping and s the garden and such..occasionally she asks if we can do something, change a bulb, pull a particularly taxing shrub or whatnot. Twice I've gotten her up now when she's tumbled in her garden (never badly..she rocks over very gently)..she 'lost' her keys last week so sat with us for a bit till she re discovered them in the depths of her bag..bits like that. We take note of if she's up and about and usually chat to her daily..our doors face each other. She has family visit fairly regularly but an extra hand rarely goes amiss

Now*

Also this thread title is misleading..I thought it was gonna be well kinky

Just sayin'

By *evaquitCouple  over a year ago

Catthorpe

"Also this thread title is misleading..I thought it was gonna be well kinky

Just sayin' "

"As someone with very elderly parents who are relatively independent I would say don't judge the family harshly unless you know all the circumstances.

Old people can be manipulative, can forget phone calls or tell people they don't need help quite aggressively. You also don't know the family dynamic or history.

A small example. I offered time and again to clean my parents house and they consistently refused. Eventually I sourced a cleaner, who knocked at my door to tell me my mother had cried after she'd finished because the house hadn't been cleaned for so long. The implication being that I had neglected to help. Things are not always what they seem."

This definitely. When my nannie was bedbound she would be so nasty to family nobody wanted to visit, but they still did. But she was nice as pie to her carers (provided free of charge in Scotland). She wasnt the nicest of woman ever really though I loved her still. I went in a few times a week and cleaned and did washing for her. The carers would tell me stuff they told them how her family didnt care and nobody called or visited. Which just wasnt true. The carers knew it as obviously someone had cleaned. I think what it came down to was her pride. She maybe didnt want family helping her but strangers were ok. I can understand that, she was always a fierce hardworking woman. Her body was an awful mess of bedsores and urine brns before my mother even realised she couldnt get out of bed. That could seem like neglect but she hid it so well.

By *ampWithABrainWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

3rding those saying don't judge you've only got one side of the story here.

I've worked in nursing and elderly care and you have to remember they weren't always old and frail and 'harmless'.

i nursed one "little old lady" who had one daughter, who despite the fact this "harmless" lady had basically forced her to give up her first child for adoption because the father was black, wouldn't recognise the subsequent grandchildren as anything to do with her for the same reason, had repeatedly tried to bribe/entreat the daughter into leaving the father AND the children. The daughter visited and called regularly but the mum would tell anyone she thought she could convince that she never saw her, that she didn't care etc

In a home I worked in an elderly man we had as a resident would play the frail card when it suited him but when he thought nobody was looking would batter his visiting daughter with his cane, she would deny and at that time the law was such that without a complainant a case couldn't go forward. It culminated in him mistaking one of the carers, one of my colleagues for his daughter and he wacked her across her pregnant belly causing her to lose the child. At this point he was no longer welcome at the home and was moved to a different place. No idea what happened thereafter.

I've a friend who was shamed and berated for not attending her grans funeral, her Gran had barely bothered with her or her siblings all their lives, had been unbelievably cruel to her mum. Again the daughter visited regularly, did her shopping and housework, called dr in when necessary, friends gran told neighbours etc that her daughter was a cow who couldn't care less. She was also extremely well off yet pleaded poverty to the neighbours and they'd buy things for her, she'd rummage in a wee coin purse in a pretence of paying them for the item/service knowing they'd go "oh it's fine don't worry about it"

It's really not always a case of neglected but completely innocent elderly person.

By *ucy LewdWoman  over a year ago

North Oxfordshire

Yeah, i agree with others saying it can be difficult.

In fact I see it in my future. My parents divorced while I was a teenager and haven't spoken to each other since (they refused to even speak when I was in hospital after an accident and used a third party family friend to schedule times when they would visit me without the other there).

They've both decided to move to opposite ends of the country, even though they're getting elderly. One has decided to move to Cornwall and the other to Yorkshire. Both have asked me to consider moving closer to them when they move because I'm their only child and they won't be able to see me as much otherwise.

Well... tough shit. I like where I am. I won't be looking after them or visiting them regularly in their old age. They both own houses local to me now... if they choose to move away then that's on them. They'd better have put enough money away to look after themselves.

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

We clean up a lot of shit and piss mainly. We are mainly there to do personal care for clients, generally half hour calls,to get them washed and dressed then breakfast, other calls generally involve helping them to the toilet and changing incontinence pads feeding them if necessary. We do shop for them as a separate call which has nothing to do with personal care call times if they request this. Anyone else want to add their rants in to accuse us if doing fuck all? We work bloody long hours often on split shifts 365 days a year, and yes, while you're all tucking into you Xmas dinners and opening presents I'll be out on the road driving over 300 miles this week to help my clients.

North Oxfordshire

"£15 an hour for a carer? What do they do for that money?

We clean up a lot of shit and piss mainly. We are mainly there to do personal care for clients, generally half hour calls,to get them washed and dressed then breakfast, other calls generally involve helping them to the toilet and changing incontinence pads feeding them if necessary. We do shop for them as a separate call which has nothing to do with personal care call times if they request this. Anyone else want to add their rants in to accuse us if doing fuck all? We work bloody long hours often on split shifts 365 days a year, and yes, while you're all tucking into you Xmas dinners and opening presents I'll be out on the road driving over 300 miles this week to help my clients. "

No way could I do your jobs. And the local care agencies advertise the work at minimum wage on zero hour contracts.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

We clean up a lot of shit and piss mainly. We are mainly there to do personal care for clients, generally half hour calls,to get them washed and dressed then breakfast, other calls generally involve helping them to the toilet and changing incontinence pads feeding them if necessary. We do shop for them as a separate call which has nothing to do with personal care call times if they request this. Anyone else want to add their rants in to accuse us if doing fuck all? We work bloody long hours often on split shifts 365 days a year, and yes, while you're all tucking into you Xmas dinners and opening presents I'll be out on the road driving over 300 miles this week to help my clients.

No way could I do your jobs. And the local care agencies advertise the work at minimum wage on zero hour contracts."

That is standard for care work unfortunately.

North Oxfordshire

No way could I do your jobs. And the local care agencies advertise the work at minimum wage on zero hour contracts.

That is standard for care work unfortunately. "

Just awful. Carers were a lifeline for all my grandparents when they became unable to look after themselves. Such an amazing job that they did which enabled the rest of us to try and maintain relatively normal lives without giving our jobs up.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

That's more than I've got in my fridge to be honest

I thought this was going to be a thread about piles, I was all ready to give advice on treatment.

We used to look after an old chap who had no family after his brother died, what the carer had done in 30 mins, I could do in 5. Bizarrely the carer left after the old chap told her he thought he had been out in the street naked in the night with his Willy out. She was offended and left. Poor bloke was old and confused, she made him feel embarrassed. X

"As someone with very elderly parents who are relatively independent I would say don't judge the family harshly unless you know all the circumstances.

A small example. I offered time and again to clean my parents house and they consistently refused. Eventually I sourced a cleaner, who knocked at my door to tell me my mother had cried after she'd finished because the house hadn't been cleaned for so long. The implication being that I had neglected to help. Things are not always what they seem."

When my Gramps was alive his first set of carers were pretty poor, they didn't always show up, complete agreed tasks and look after him quite as well as they should have. But the second lot were absolutely amazing, and seemed to enjoy the time they spent with him despite the pretty grim aspects of the job and went above and beyond every step of the day even attending his funeral which was a lovely touch for us, in fact we still bump into one of them today and he always speaks and asks after the family.

However, my Grampy could be incredibly stubborn, he didn't always want to be helped, and when he did he was insistent on paying. He fought to hold on to his independence right until the very end and I guess most are the same hence there being signs of neglect.

And on the fridge point, his fridge was always as you described but his freezer was full of ready meals.

Ginger

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"When my Gramps was alive his first set of carers were pretty poor, they didn't always show up, complete agreed tasks and look after him quite as well as they should have. But the second lot were absolutely amazing, and seemed to enjoy the time they spent with him despite the pretty grim aspects of the job and went above and beyond every step of the day even attending his funeral which was a lovely touch for us, in fact we still bump into one of them today and he always speaks and asks after the family.

However, my Grampy could be incredibly stubborn, he didn't always want to be helped, and when he did he was insistent on paying. He fought to hold on to his independence right until the very end and I guess most are the same hence there being signs of neglect.

And on the fridge point, his fridge was always as you described but his freezer was full of ready meals.

Ginger "

This is how the majority of us are. I still visit ex clients from a previous company too

"When my Gramps was alive his first set of carers were pretty poor, they didn't always show up, complete agreed tasks and look after him quite as well as they should have. But the second lot were absolutely amazing, and seemed to enjoy the time they spent with him despite the pretty grim aspects of the job and went above and beyond every step of the day even attending his funeral which was a lovely touch for us, in fact we still bump into one of them today and he always speaks and asks after the family.

Ginger This is how the majority of us are. I still visit ex clients from a previous company too"

It's lovely, we were so pleased with the level of support they gave to us all, we wrote his carers thank you cards and gave them a little something for all they did. Seeing someone come in and care for him in the same way that we did we'll always be truly thankful for.

Ginger

We clean up a lot of shit and piss mainly. We are mainly there to do personal care for clients, generally half hour calls,to get them washed and dressed then breakfast, other calls generally involve helping them to the toilet and changing incontinence pads feeding them if necessary. We do shop for them as a separate call which has nothing to do with personal care call times if they request this. Anyone else want to add their rants in to accuse us if doing fuck all? We work bloody long hours often on split shifts 365 days a year, and yes, while you're all tucking into you Xmas dinners and opening presents I'll be out on the road driving over 300 miles this week to help my clients. "

Well said that lady

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Well said that lady"

Thanks Sappy, and let's not forget the verbal and physical abuse that we sometimes get from the people we are trying to help as well, it's not all sweet elderly people, some have dementia which can make them very aggressive. And to anyone else who would like to slate us care workers on here may I also suggest you step into our shoes for a week, I doubt very much if you'd last that long to be honest.

There are good and bad carers the same as there are good and bad workers in every job.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"There are good and bad carers the same as there are good and bad workers in every job."
exactly

[Removed by poster at 24/12/17 09:12:03]

I always stop and talk to older people.

Some are much more funny and cheeky than you might expect - old ladies in supermarkets especially

There's a couple of guys I see walking their dogs and whilst we haven't become friends, we have become friendly.

Sometimes even saying 'Good Morning' to them seems to put a smile on their face.

Small things DO go a long way x

"... And to anyone else who would like to slate us care workers on here may I also suggest you step into our shoes for a week, I doubt very much if you'd last that long to be honest. "

Read the thread again. Who is slagging off care workers? Some people have mentioned instances where care workers were shit. Some are shit. They haven't slated *all* carers unless I missed it.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"... And to anyone else who would like to slate us care workers on here may I also suggest you step into our shoes for a week, I doubt very much if you'd last that long to be honest.

Read the thread again. Who is slagging off care workers? Some people have mentioned instances where care workers were shit. Some are shit. They haven't slated *all* carers unless I missed it.

"

I didn't say all care workers. And I agree some are shit.

By *un4meanduMan  over a year ago

STOTFOLD

Great job you do as well the main problem is funding/ time needed in most cases

And in my case the permanent on site carers taking advantage sometimes ie not changing a blown lamp when there are spares at the house

Have a good Xmas even though like me your working

North Oxfordshire

"... And to anyone else who would like to slate us care workers on here may I also suggest you step into our shoes for a week, I doubt very much if you'd last that long to be honest.

"

Well... there was an implication in the very second post that careworkers don't deserve £15 an hour... (not that they even get £15 an hour).

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Great job you do as well the main problem is funding/ time needed in most cases

And in my case the permanent on site carers taking advantage sometimes ie not changing a blown lamp when there are spares at the house

Have a good Xmas even though like me your working"

Unfortunately not enough of us willing to do the job, just for the record I'm a bulb changer lol. Happy Christmas to you too. X

I didn't say all care workers. And I agree some are shit. "

Ok.

I couldn't do it. I did it many moons ago. I think you're ace.

I wasn't having a go at you. I was wondering why those carers were getting so much per hour, as friends I know don't get anywhere near that much. I also know there are different levels of care; not everyone has personal care, just home help. I also know how hard it is to deliver personal care as my twin sister had cerebral palsy and couldn't do anything for herself. So, I bathed her, changed her incontinence pads, fed her and did her physio, for 10 years, every day, 24 hours a day.

Ok.

I couldn't do it. I did it many moons ago. I think you're ace. "

I was in your shoes for 10 years, no pay, and lost 10 years I could have been building a career for myself. Some of us do it from love, and I would do it again.

Well... there was an implication in the very second post that careworkers don't deserve £15 an hour... (not that they even get £15 an hour).

"

I was asking what they did for £15 an hour for the woman, as it's a high rate for a carer worker. I didn't once say they didn't deserve it-although some don't.

By *orkie321bWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

OP please don't judge too harshly until you have been in the position of being a carer.

It is damned hard work for little reward.

Employed carers get paid no more than minimum wage and often spend much longer than the time they have been allocated with their clients. The care agency will pay them for a half hour visit that in reality always takes closer to an hour. It is a very physically and mentally demanding job. Most care agencies struggle to recruit and retain good staff because of this.

For family carers it is even harder. They have to give up work and they receive carers allowance, just over £62 a week. They have to care for a minimum of 35 hours a week for this so it is a full time job (with the amount of hours I "work" as a carer for my mum this works out at about 75p per hour!) There is no sick leave and no holidays paid or unpaid, you "work" 365 days a year. In the last four years I have had one weekend off. I have a 1 week holiday each year where I take my mum away. It's a break for her but not for me. I am still caring just in different surroundings and I come home just as tired as usual.

When crticising family carers ask yourself this. Could I afford to give up my job to live on £62 per week? Would I be willing to work bloody hard 365 days a year for just 75p an hour? Would I be able to move house to live closer to my parent so I can help more?

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

I wasn't having a go at you. I was wondering why those carers were getting so much per hour, as friends I know don't get anywhere near that much. I also know there are different levels of care; not everyone has personal care, just home help. I also know how hard it is to deliver personal care as my twin sister had cerebral palsy and couldn't do anything for herself. So, I bathed her, changed her incontinence pads, fed her and did her physio, for 10 years, every day, 24 hours a day."

The going rate is about £15 per carer, the call would have been double handed as there may have been equipment in situ, ie hoist turntable, slidesheet, stand aid etc. We get paid our call time with the client, our petrol cost also comes out of that so does office admin, staff training etc. That's quite a lot to come out of £15. Some need more help than others, if I've done everything required within the call time and have spare I stay and chat or perhaps do a small job ie oiling a stiff door lock, washing up etc.

It is hard and personally I think you should have had more help with your twin sister x

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I think care of the elderly, the very young and the very sick is worth £15 an hour or more. We expect it to be done on the cheap, people with the funds to pay for it themselves resent doing so and in general society regards it as a menial job.

If as a society we held these type of jobs in higher regard and rewarded them sufficiently the quality of care and the carers lives would improve in my opinion. Currently its possible to earn a similar wage working in McDonald's.

The best care my mum has received has been from carers at home and in rehabilitation. I have to say that when she's been in hospital I've gone in to ensure that she's had the personal care she needs because the HCAs are rushed off their feet

North Oxfordshire

I was asking what they did for £15 an hour for the woman, as it's a high rate for a carer worker. I didn't once say they didn't deserve it-although some don't. "

I don't think it's a high rate. Employment agencies take up to 50% in fees, and national minimum wage is £7.50.

Even if the carer got all of it, £15 an hour only gives you a takehome annual pay of £23k a year.

Not really much for cleaning up peoples shit, cleaning their houses, and doing their shopping.

By *orkie321bWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

I was asking what they did for £15 an hour for the woman, as it's a high rate for a carer worker. I didn't once say they didn't deserve it-although some don't. "

The care worker is employed by a care agency. The care agency charges clients £15 an hour. The care worker actually only gets paid minimum wage.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Ok.

I couldn't do it. I did it many moons ago. I think you're ace. "

Thanks, I do it because I love trying to give people a better quality of life or at least maintain what they have.

I bet the carer is only seeing £7 of it "

This is why we binned the care firm and found carers ourselves.

We pay them £10 per hour.

They give my dad his paid for time and turn up when they’re supposed to. He also gets to know them rather than seeing lots of new faces everyday.

It’s a much better way.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

They give my dad his paid for time and turn up when they’re supposed to. He also gets to know them rather than seeing lots of new faces everyday.

It’s a much better way. "

I work for a care company not an agency I'm the main carer for my clients, on my days off there are only two other girls that do my round, so clients know who they are getting on a set day x

It’s a much better way. "

I was thinking it would be better to employ someone direct.

It’s a much better way.

I work for a care company not an agency I'm the main carer for my clients, on my days off there are only two other girls that do my round, so clients know who they are getting on a set day x"

Do agencies charge more than care companies? I know they charge a lot for supply teachers and painters. It's a rip off really.

It’s a much better way.

I work for a care company not an agency I'm the main carer for my clients, on my days off there are only two other girls that do my round, so clients know who they are getting on a set day x"

That’s very rare round here. We’re in the middle of nowhere and the agencies struggle to find staff to cover us.

So many failed calls. So often the carers are pushed for time so rushing in and out again.

North Oxfordshire

It’s a much better way.

I work for a care company not an agency I'm the main carer for my clients, on my days off there are only two other girls that do my round, so clients know who they are getting on a set day x

Do agencies charge more than care companies? I know they charge a lot for supply teachers and painters. It's a rip off really. "

Dunno, but even via a care company I imagine that the carer is not getting paid the full amount. Someone still has to pay for the business costs and the administration staff (and they have to make a profit somewhere).

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

It’s a much better way.

That’s very rare round here. We’re in the middle of nowhere and the agencies struggle to find staff to cover us.

So many failed calls. So often the carers are pushed for time so rushing in and out again. "

I know and lots of carers are leaving as the workload is too much as well.

It’s a much better way.

So many failed calls. So often the carers are pushed for time so rushing in and out again. "

A girl I talk to who is a carer said she doesn't get full petrol allowance either.

It’s a much better way.

So many failed calls. So often the carers are pushed for time so rushing in and out again.

A girl I talk to who is a carer said she doesn't get full petrol allowance either. "

I know. They get calls dotted through the day and into the late evening with an hour or two gap too. Unpaid time hanging around with not enough time to do anything else.

It’s a much better way.

Do agencies charge more than care companies? I know they charge a lot for supply teachers and painters. It's a rip off really.

Dunno, but even via a care company I imagine that the carer is not getting paid the full amount. Someone still has to pay for the business costs and the administration staff (and they have to make a profit somewhere).

"

Employ direct. The carers actually earn money then.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

It’s a much better way.

A girl I talk to who is a carer said she doesn't get full petrol allowance either. "

I believe you can claim on top of the allowance you get from the care company from the tax office. It's up to 45p per mile. Ie. If you get 30 per mile from the company you can claim the extra 15p per mile from tax office. Hope this helps your friend x

North Oxfordshire

It’s a much better way.

Employ direct. The carers actually earn money then. "

It's a good solution if someone wants to be self employed. If they don't want to be self employed though not much you can do about that. I'm sure you know that being self employed does deserve a certain set of skills and a portion of time to deal with legal requirements, insurance, tax returns, etc.

It would be better if agencies and companies just paid their staff better rates, but that won't happen until people start recognising that carers deserve way more than £15 an hour.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

It’s a much better way.

A girl I talk to who is a carer said she doesn't get full petrol allowance either.

I believe you can claim on top of the allowance you get from the care company from the tax office. It's up to 45p per mile. Ie. If you get 30 per mile from the company you can claim the extra 15p per mile from tax office. Hope this helps your friend x"

Also she can claim for uniform shoes gloves etc if she has to buy them.

It’s a much better way.

Employ direct. The carers actually earn money then.

It's a good solution if someone wants to be self employed. If they don't want to be self employed though not much you can do about that. I'm sure you know that being self employed does deserve a certain set of skills and a portion of time to deal with legal requirements, insurance, tax returns, etc.

It would be better if agencies and companies just paid their staff better rates, but that won't happen until people start recognising that carers deserve way more than £15 an hour."

Fair comment.

The tax return as a carer is pretty simple though as the receipt pile is pretty small.

If the client has their care paid for them you can go onto direct payments.

The care money is then paid into a separate account and you can then arrange care yourself.

Last time we used an agency was a few years ago and they were charging £18 an hour.

We can now afford more hours for dad and pay the carers more than they got before.

It does take a little more effort on our part to keep clarity of the records as we have to send in copies of the care sheet and payments made.

It’s a much better way.

I believe you can claim on top of the allowance you get from the care company from the tax office. It's up to 45p per mile. Ie. If you get 30 per mile from the company you can claim the extra 15p per mile from tax office. Hope this helps your friend x

Also she can claim for uniform shoes gloves etc if she has to buy them. "

I'll relay this next time I see her, thank you.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

It’s a much better way.

Also she can claim for uniform shoes gloves etc if she has to buy them.

I'll relay this next time I see her, thank you. "

Very welcome, feel free to pm me if she needs more help x

By *abrielle247Couple (FF)  over a year ago

PDI Gran Canaria

The grapes of wrath, me thinks.

i used to do community care and one thing we had to do was check they had food etc - thats awful - complain to the company involved and if no change report to cqc and change to another

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"i used to do community care and one thing we had to do was check they had food etc - thats awful - complain to the company involved and if no change report to cqc and change to another "

Yes although this is the correct procedure the carers in question may not have permission to do shopping for her as this may have financial ramifications.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

And to anyone else who would like to slate us care workers on here may I also suggest you step into our shoes for a week, "

No one did, you took it that way

Happy Christmas, Ruggers x

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Ok the fridge doesn't contain a typical Christmas Dinner but it contains enough food for the woman to eat.Maybe that is what she wanted and had bought.

I echo other people, we used to have a neighbour who used to complain she never had any visitors from her family, yet we used to time our clock by the visits every weekend by all her family.

However there are people alone this Christmas who may not have been able to get out so making sure they are OK and have what they need is a good thing

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Happy Christmas, Ruggers x"

Same to you and all forumitey people

"Happy Christmas, Ruggers x

Same to you and all forumitey people "

By *ringles0510Woman  over a year ago

Central Borders

Travel time not included

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Travel time not included "

In most cases no, however I sometimes wish I could time travel lol

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

I totally agree the elderly are like us all, some good some bad. After years of nursing I have seen all sorts of family dynamics. My own mother who died last year was lucky enough for me to visit daily and do hands on care, despite her wicked behaviour all my life.

By *tHelensCplCouple  over a year ago

St Helens

The company will charge £15 an hour the carer will get minimum wage

Ok.

I couldn't do it. I did it many moons ago. I think you're ace.

I was in your shoes for 10 years, no pay, and lost 10 years I could have been building a career for myself. Some of us do it from love, and I would do it again. "

We do a lot of free care for my dad. Fill in all the gaps in the week. Do the hospital, doctors, prescription runs, hair cuts, trips out, etc.

It would be nice if he appreciated it but he’ll never change.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"i used to do community care and one thing we had to do was check they had food etc - thats awful - complain to the company involved and if no change report to cqc and change to another

Yes although this is the correct procedure the carers in question may not have permission to do shopping for her as this may have financial ramifications. "

Indeed. A previous neighbour of ours who has since passed away tried to give me her debit card and pin number to get her weekly cigarette and wine ration. She was an alcoholic with a tenuous grip on reality. Imagine to position i or any carer would have been in if she has forgotten how much she'd spent, queried it with the bank and they'd asked who else had access to her details.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"i used to do community care and one thing we had to do was check they had food etc - thats awful - complain to the company involved and if no change report to cqc and change to another

Yes although this is the correct procedure the carers in question may not have permission to do shopping for her as this may have financial ramifications.

Indeed. A previous neighbour of ours who has since passed away tried to give me her debit card and pin number to get her weekly cigarette and wine ration. She was an alcoholic with a tenuous grip on reality. Imagine to position i or any carer would have been in if she has forgotten how much she'd spent, queried it with the bank and they'd asked who else had access to her details."

Exactly this. It could have been construed as financial abuse. Anything like this has to be set up with the client, care company and social services, with the relevant paper in the client's care plan.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

[Removed by poster at 24/12/17 16:57:19]

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Indeed. A previous neighbour of ours who has since passed away tried to give me her debit card and pin number to get her weekly cigarette and wine ration. She was an alcoholic with a tenuous grip on reality. Imagine to position i or any carer would have been in if she has forgotten how much she'd spent, queried it with the bank and they'd asked who else had access to her details.

Exactly this. It could have been construed as financial abuse. Anything like this has to be set up with the client, care company and social services, with the relevant paper in the client's care plan. "

It isn't as easy as the client handing you a fiver for bread and milk, everything needs to be properly documented lol.

Exactly this. It could have been construed as financial abuse. Anything like this has to be set up with the client, care company and social services, with the relevant paper in the client's care plan.

It isn't as easy as the client handing you a fiver for bread and milk, everything needs to be properly documented lol. "

no we never took cash or cards off the service users - just used to report back - we had a case where the family were abusing her by 'doing ' the shopping - terrible times

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

It isn't as easy as the client handing you a fiver for bread and milk, everything needs to be properly documented lol.

no we never took cash or cards off the service users - just used to report back - we had a case where the family were abusing her by 'doing ' the shopping - terrible times"

I'd always report back too x

Well put!

OP be very careful about criticising family when you don't know the whole story!

Not all carers are greedy

I got £11 a visit to the lady I looked after.

She died beginning of December and broke my heart. It's hard looking after someone you know probably won't live long.

She could be nasty to her family as it's the role reversal thing. She didn't like her daughters telling her what to do.

They are lucky to have someone pop in on them like you OP. Most don't have that.

» Add a new message to this topic