FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Bolivia

Bolivia

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Has anyone been? Flights from the UK are around 20 hours with a couple of connections. Is it worth the effort to see a bit of salt? Okay, a lot of salt.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes. Not been there in past 10 years though and I believe it has changed somewhat

By *est Wales WifeCouple  over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

We've been - travelled all the way from Peru to the southern tip of South America by land. If your talking about just visiting the Salar de Uyuni well it is spectacular but I probably would not go for just that; but worth seeing amongst other things. Also at 3,656m you'd need to consider possible altitude problems in going straight there (Salar de Uyuni). La Paz is huge and vibrant, Lake Titicaca a bit of a tourist trap and Potosi silver mines 'interesting'. We found Bolivia one of the best countries we visited in South America.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I’m planning a trip to Patagonia for next December (2018). I will start in Buenos Aires ( spending 2-3 days there), then head further south to trek the Torres Del Paine National Park, see the Perito Merino Glacier, finishing up in Ushuaia with a penguin walk. A flight back to BA is included in my tour package.

I’m just wondering whether to add in another South American country after this. I’m not big on museums, galleries, culture etc. so have ruled out other cities in Brazil/Argentina/Chile. But I do like spectacular landscapes. Hence I was thinking of Bolivia’s salt flats and Andean Desert, with a couple of days in La Paz beforehand to acclimatise (I’ve done high altitude before so know the perils of rushing. Other bits of Bolivia like Potosí and Sucre appeal less, so I was wondering whether I would be with the effort of a long flight for what will be around 5-6 days in Bolivia.

BA is a comfortable 13-14 hours direct to London, whereas La Paz is more like 20 hours with 2 connections.

By *est Wales WifeCouple  over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

We've done the full circuit trek at Torres del Paine and been to the Perito Moreno Glacier and Ushuaia. Tried to PM you but blocked drop us a message if you wantmore detailed help.

Good question (as I said Bolivia was our favourite country) only you can decide if it's worth the extra flying grief but yes the Salt flats and the desert are brilliant. If you do go to the Salar also visit the 'train cemetry' there; very strange in the early morning light.

» Add a new message to this topic