FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Walkers crisps

Walkers crisps

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Just wanted to get people's thoughts on this.

Walkers or as i will refer to them from now on wankers crisps today ceased production at their Peterlee plant. The result of this is 400 people out of work in an area where jobs are hard to come by. What a nice Christmas gift from a multinational company. I will no longer be buying any of their products

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

They can't continue to operate somewhere if it's not profitable. They aren't a charity organisation. Yes it's shit timing and that could have been managed better but I'm sure this won't have been an easy decision for them. No one wants to put people out of jobs.

By *limarkCouple  over a year ago

Next door to Brenda & Clive

My son was one of the workers,they have known about the closure for months. Fortunately he was lucky enough to get a new job as a Postie.

evesham

"My son was one of the workers,they have known about the closure for months. Fortunately he was lucky enough to get a new job as a Postie."

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Empathise with the people who have lost their jobs, my department was closed two years ago, but I afraid to say, it's the way of the world.

You say you won't be buying their products anymore, do you shop at Primark, Tesco, Lidl, ASDA basically any shop because they all have the same business practices and push their suppliers to do the same.

Sorry, all want cheaper goods but don't want to see or hear about how it's achieved.

[Removed by poster at 22/12/17 07:28:25]

It sucks that they've lost jobs at a bad time, but no business can run at a loss just for the sake of the workers. Multinational or not, it's a business, not a charity that supplies employment.

"My son was one of the workers,they have known about the closure for months. Fortunately he was lucky enough to get a new job as a Postie."

Good to hear he got another job. But its a tough area to get work. I've been doing some digging and apparently Peterlee plant were the most cost effective for producing sensations and extra crunchy a couple of years back

By *octor DeleriumMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"They can't continue to operate somewhere if it's not profitable. They aren't a charity organisation. Yes it's shit timing and that could have been managed better but I'm sure this won't have been an easy decision for them. No one wants to put people out of jobs. "

Actually, they will be quite happy to put people out of jobs if they can increase their profit margin elsewhere.

It's called corporate greed.

By *ardiffCoupleNJCouple  over a year ago

Pontypridd/Rhyfelin

"They can't continue to operate somewhere if it's not profitable. They aren't a charity organisation. Yes it's shit timing and that could have been managed better but I'm sure this won't have been an easy decision for them. No one wants to put people out of jobs.

Actually, they will be quite happy to put people out of jobs if they can increase their profit margin elsewhere.

It's called corporate greed."

Orincrease margins by moving production abroad...

By *nothercoupleCouple  over a year ago

Exeter

Are they still owned by PepsiCo? If so you are going to go without an awful lot of stuff!

By *acavityMan  over a year ago

Redditch

"They can't continue to operate somewhere if it's not profitable. They aren't a charity organisation. Yes it's shit timing and that could have been managed better but I'm sure this won't have been an easy decision for them. No one wants to put people out of jobs.

It's called corporate greed."

One of the ways to keep corporations in line is boycotts.

So fair play to OP for taking a stand, and encouraging others.

By *mojeeCouple  over a year ago

Dunfermline

Things like this don't help the NE. Peterlee is an absolute shit hole and stuff like this only makes the area worse

If people need work they have to relocate, you do what you have to.

Nothing / nobody will ever come between me and my salt n vinegar.

Sorry

"Are they still owned by PepsiCo? If so you are going to go without an awful lot of stuff! "

Yeah they are swap pepsi for the real thing, quaker for ready brek job done. oh and how about crisps i may struggle with that, i mean nobody else makes those

Walkers are shite crisps anyhow

"Are they still owned by PepsiCo? If so you are going to go without an awful lot of stuff!

Yeah they are swap pepsi for the real thing, quaker for ready brek job done. oh and how about crisps i may struggle with that, i mean nobody else makes those "

by real thing I assume you mean Coca Cola.... hardly a UK based company is it

evesham

"Are they still owned by PepsiCo? If so you are going to go without an awful lot of stuff!

Yeah they are swap pepsi for the real thing, quaker for ready brek job done. oh and how about crisps i may struggle with that, i mean nobody else makes those

by real thing I assume you mean Coca Cola.... hardly a UK based company is it"

They do have plants in the UK though so supply UK jobs.

OP I think it's great that you feel very strongly about this but I do wonder why this closure? There have been numerous numbers of jobs lost this year across all industry.

by real thing I assume you mean Coca Cola.... hardly a UK based company is it

They do have plants in the UK though so supply UK jobs.

OP I think it's great that you feel very strongly about this but I do wonder why this closure? There have been numerous numbers of jobs lost this year across all industry. "

So do walkers too they didn't close the Leicester plant which is the biggest in the world I think.

» Add a new message to this topic