FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Corned beef hash

Corned beef hash

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

With winter here we all love a bit of comfort food and stodginess to keep our bones warm.

Corned beef hash is a quick, easy and cheap, but I've realised there are many variations on how it's made.

I grew up on a stew type, potato onion and carrot diced in water with corned beef stirred in.

My version is the same but I cook the veg, then add a squeeze of red and brown sauce, and last minute stir in a tin of beans and diced corned beef, I like my corned beef to stay chunky.

My friends mums version was corned beef mushed on a plate with mashed potato on top and grilled!

How do you make yours?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don’t like it

"

I don’t like it "

Wtf? Get off my thread!!

Is it the corned beef or the veg you don't like?

"

I don’t like it

Wtf? Get off my thread!!

Is it the corned beef or the veg you don't like? "

I like them both but not together and warm.

"

I don’t like it

Wtf? Get off my thread!!

"

Pmsl omg so you don't know the delights of corned beef slices heated on top of a pasty! Plenty of brown sauce on top! Lol

By *s_macWoman  over a year ago

Traffic land

My family version is similar to your friends. Onion and potatoes boiled together, mashed with the corned beef, generous dash of Worcester sauce, then grilled maybe with cheese on top. Serve with beans and HP sauce

By *oddyWoman  over a year ago

between havant and chichester

or corn beef fritters yummy

"

I don’t like it

Wtf? Get off my thread!!

Pmsl omg so you don't know the delights of corned beef slices heated on top of a pasty! Plenty of brown sauce on top! Lol"

Ohhhh .

I’m leaving the thread as being put of my lunch you bunch of weirdos.

Corned beef, onion, tin of tomatoes and boiled potatoes. All mashed up together and baked in the oven. Served with gravy.

[Removed by poster at 21/12/17 13:03:24]

Fry off some onions, add the corned beef and some gravy, add the beans. Put in a tin, cover in mash add cheese and pop in the oven.

Corned beef, I use finely diced potato, onions, beef stock, seasonings, drop of Worcestershire sauce, topped off with thin layer of mash and cheese.

By *orwegian BlueMan  over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

Par boiled potatoes added to fried onions with salt and pepper, cooked until the potatoes soften. Then add diced corned beef and cook until it's crispy underneath. Stick under the grill for 5 minutes to crisp on top then serve with a fried egg..

Although I do prefer an Austrian variation called Tirolergrostl, which has the corned beef substituted with crisp fried bacon lard ons, thin strips of beef and fried cut up sausage with a little fennel seed added..

Don't, too stodgy, and actually a tin of corned beef isn't particularly cheap anymore. Not only that we don't to change what we eat based on the weather.

"With winter here we all love a bit of comfort food and stodginess to keep our bones warm.

Corned beef hash is a quick, easy and cheap, but I've realised there are many variations on how it's made.

I grew up on a stew type, potato onion and carrot diced in water with corned beef stirred in.

My version is the same but I cook the veg, then add a squeeze of red and brown sauce, and last minute stir in a tin of beans and diced corned beef, I like my corned beef to stay chunky.

My friends mums version was corned beef mushed on a plate with mashed potato on top and grilled!

How do you make yours? "

I’d rather eat razor blades! Really can’t stand it! Sorry op! It’s nasty!

"With winter here we all love a bit of comfort food and stodginess to keep our bones warm.

How do you make yours? "

Holy fuck I love corned beef hash. I might of not lived at home for a very long time but I’d come crawling back at the promise of my mother’s corned beef hash.

"My family version is similar to your friends. Onion and potatoes boiled together, mashed with the corned beef, generous dash of Worcester sauce, then grilled maybe with cheese on top. Serve with beans and HP sauce "

That actually sounds quite nice!

"I’m leaving the thread as being put of my lunch you bunch of weirdos. "

Oops, sorry!

Most people seem to be doing the dry version! More like a pie than a stew. Now that surprised me! But some sound lush!

"Most people seem to be doing the dry version! More like a pie than a stew. Now that surprised me! But some sound lush!

"

There's only certain sloppy fillings I like

"

Holy fuck I love corned beef hash. I might of not lived at home for a very long time but I’d come crawling back at the promise of my mother’s corned beef hash. "

How did she make it?

"Most people seem to be doing the dry version! More like a pie than a stew. Now that surprised me! But some sound lush!

There's only certain sloppy fillings I like"

By *imply_SensualMan  over a year ago

warrington

"My family version is similar to your friends. Onion and potatoes boiled together, mashed with the corned beef, generous dash of Worcester sauce, then grilled maybe with cheese on top. Serve with beans and HP sauce "

This is the version I grew up on, although not a great lover of it nowadays, it does bring back some fond memories.

Our corned beef hash is basically a stew with corned beef instead of chunked beef, served in a giant Yorkshire pud. I'll throw in whatever is in the larder, veg basket and freezer as long as it's not fruit or custard

I've asked Mum if she would make tatty ash with a crust for Christmas dinner.

Bit of red cabbage or beetroot with it. Lovely.

Much better than a full on Christmas dinner in my eyes

"Our corned beef hash is basically a stew with corned beef instead of chunked beef, served in a giant Yorkshire pud. I'll throw in whatever is in the larder, veg basket and freezer as long as it's not fruit or custard "

Yay! Another wet one!

"I've asked Mum if she would make tatty ash with a crust for Christmas dinner.

Much better than a full on Christmas dinner in my eyes "

And way cheaper and much less stressful too!

By *lueWonderMan  over a year ago

Preston.....ish

Mmmmmm... Interesting posts.. It would seem that what my mother used to tell us was corned beef hash was nothing of the sort but a lie..

another childhood dream is shattered

"Mmmmmm... Interesting posts.. It would seem that what my mother used to tell us was corned beef hash was nothing of the sort but a lie..

another childhood dream is shattered "

I'm sorry to say you haven't lived if you haven't had the hash of corned beef! You must rectify the problem forthwith and ask the most local lady to you on this thread to supply you with some!

During the Falklands war shops in the UK wouldn't sell Argentinean corned beef. So what did they do with it? Gave it to the military to eat. There's irony for you, or maybe it was to make them hate Argentina even more!

By *lueWonderMan  over a year ago

Preston.....ish

"Mmmmmm... Interesting posts.. It would seem that what my mother used to tell us was corned beef hash was nothing of the sort but a lie..

another childhood dream is shattered

I'm sorry to say you haven't lived if you haven't had the hash of corned beef! You must rectify the problem forthwith and ask the most local lady to you on this thread to supply you with some! "

goes off to search for a local lady..........

By *orticiaWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

Much better than a full on Christmas dinner in my eyes "

I might actually do that - love tatty ash & not done it in ages!!

OP, mine is corned beef mashed with fried onions & a tin of beans or marrowfat peas mixed into it with mashed potato on top, & cheese on that - into the oven (kind of like a cottage pie) and served with red cabbage

Oh, I’m so hungry now!!

You've ruined my dinner mojo now OP, I was all setup to prepare something else. Now it's visit the supermarket to by corned beef hash ingredients. I fully blame you

"You've ruined my dinner mojo now OP, I was all setup to prepare something else. Now it's visit the supermarket to by corned beef hash ingredients. I fully blame you "

Oops.. you'll be thanking me after though with a full warm belly!

Much better than a full on Christmas dinner in my eyes

I might actually do that - love tatty ash & not done it in ages!!

OP, mine is corned beef mashed with fried onions & a tin of beans or marrowfat peas mixed into it with mashed potato on top, & cheese on that - into the oven (kind of like a cottage pie) and served with red cabbage

Oh, I’m so hungry now!!"

marrowfat peas!! Pass!

"Don't, too stodgy, and actually a tin of corned beef isn't particularly cheap anymore. Not only that we don't to change what we eat based on the weather. "

God yes corned beef ain't as cheap as it used to be but you can get it cheaper in the bargain stores. And I always go for the one with highest meat content. But one tin will make 4-6 portions for me.

I don't fancy salad much in winter, not unless I'm on a d***!

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Ma Gran used to do it in a pressure cooker, that was more like a basic stew, but it was lovely & filling on a cold day

Although I cook a lot of my own stuff, I have never tried making it maself. Have not long bought a slow cooker, so maybe I'll give it a go in the not too distant future

By *rtemis-AkelaCouple  over a year ago

Wigan, Liverpool

Potatoes, peas and carrots boiled in a beef stock. Once the potatoes are falling a part add the corned beef. Stir until the corned beef breaks down and then serve with a bread roll.

"Ma Gran used to do it in a pressure cooker, that was more like a basic stew, but it was lovely & filling on a cold day

Although I cook a lot of my own stuff, I have never tried making it maself. Have not long bought a slow cooker, so maybe I'll give it a go in the not too distant future "

Go on, be adventurous! Another one who likes it wet! Yay!

"Potatoes, peas and carrots boiled in a beef stock. Once the potatoes are falling a part add the corned beef. Stir until the corned beef breaks down and then serve with a bread roll. "

No onion?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

very similar to how we have it..

sometimes add the cheese to the mash..

I have just cooked with pictures

We do sliced potatoes corned beef cheese and jalapenos in a frying pan with chopped up onions and fried

By *andybeachWoman  over a year ago

In the middle

I make mine completely different, I do it the way my great aunts showed me how they cooked theirs during the great Wars

Slice 2 tins of corned beef into the bottom of a roasting dish, put a medallion of back bacon on every slice of corned beef, thinly slice an onion or two and scatter over the bacon/beef, peel and halve enough potatoes to cover everything and then cover the potatoes with streaky bacon, put plenty of pepper over it all then add a little hot water to cover the bacon/beef layer then bake for a few hours, what you have then it meaty goodness with roastie baked potatoes and crispy bacon

"I make mine completely different, I do it the way my great aunts showed me how they cooked theirs during the great Wars

Slice 2 tins of corned beef into the bottom of a roasting dish, put a medallion of back bacon on every slice of corned beef, thinly slice an onion or two and scatter over the bacon/beef, peel and halve enough potatoes to cover everything and then cover the potatoes with streaky bacon, put plenty of pepper over it all then add a little hot water to cover the bacon/beef layer then bake for a few hours, what you have then it meaty goodness with roastie baked potatoes and crispy bacon "

That sounds incredible making my mouth water!!!!

I recently went to MR Thomas's Chop House Manchester been meaning to go for about 2 years, just to try there corned beef hash, finally got there the other week did not disappoint, ended up four of us having the corned beef hash would definitely recommend if you live close enough.

Beans! Has to have them in it! Nom

Guess I'm having corned beef hash for dinner then...

Ours is about to come out of the oven. Fuck yeah!

"I make mine completely different, I do it the way my great aunts showed me how they cooked theirs during the great Wars

Slice 2 tins of corned beef into the bottom of a roasting dish, put a medallion of back bacon on every slice of corned beef, thinly slice an onion or two and scatter over the bacon/beef, peel and halve enough potatoes to cover everything and then cover the potatoes with streaky bacon, put plenty of pepper over it all then add a little hot water to cover the bacon/beef layer then bake for a few hours, what you have then it meaty goodness with roastie baked potatoes and crispy bacon "

Omg I'm so gonna try that recipe!!

"Ours is about to come out of the oven. Fuck yeah! "

I've literally just finished mine, OH is having seconds.

I'm hoping you're enjoying it!

"Guess I'm having corned beef hash for dinner then... "

You know you want to?

"

I don’t like it

Wtf? Get off my thread!!

"

Strange woman!!

By *elma and ShaggyCouple  over a year ago

Bedworth

Our family version is like yours op. A shed load of veggies and spuds, simmered until cooked then a can of baked beans, can of mushy peas and can of cubed corned beef added. It tends to stick to the bottom of the pan then but that scraped off just adds to the flavour.

I made it for hubby for the first time last week. The only tune he’s ever eaten mushy peas and enjoyed it

By *arnsleycouple7683Couple  over a year ago

Barnsley

Ours is corned beef, potatoes, carrots, peas, sweetcorn and butter beans. Cooked in a big stew pan in water and then later gravy granules stirred in.

Served on a crepe style pancake.

Brown sauce optional added last when it's on the plate. (Hubby likes it with brown sauce, whereas I don't.)

By *arnsleycouple7683Couple  over a year ago

Barnsley

"Ours is corned beef, potatoes, carrots, peas, sweetcorn and butter beans. Cooked in a big stew pan in water and then later gravy granules stirred in.

Brown sauce optional added last when it's on the plate. (Hubby likes it with brown sauce, whereas I don't.)"

Forgot to add, it's done on the hob. Ours does not go in the oven.

"Ours is corned beef, potatoes, carrots, peas, sweetcorn and butter beans. Cooked in a big stew pan in water and then later gravy granules stirred in.

Brown sauce optional added last when it's on the plate. (Hubby likes it with brown sauce, whereas I don't.)

Forgot to add, it's done on the hob. Ours does not go in the oven."

Yep always on the hob and always brown sauce, I refuse to eat it without!

By *essiCouple  over a year ago

suffolk

My mum used to make it as follows... tin of corned beef (at room temperature) mashed up with a fork add a diced onion put in a glass dish add Worcester sauce cover with mashed potato dot with butter or sprinkle cheese and bake...eh voila

"My mum used to make it as follows... tin of corned beef (at room temperature) mashed up with a fork add a diced onion put in a glass dish add Worcester sauce cover with mashed potato dot with butter or sprinkle cheese and bake...eh voila "

Sounds yummy!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

Merseyside

There is only one way to make corned beef hash.

People who make corned beef mash are committing sacrilege.

Par boil spuds.

Dice corned beef

Saute/sweat a chopped onion.

Add diced spud to onion plenty of oil.

When spuds are lighly browned outside but soft and white inside add the corned beef

Stir once - making sure all stays whole.

Pepper.

Lid to let meat - heat.

Turn on to a plate.

Top with brown sauce.

Version 2 as above with a fried egg on top.

Version 3 as above with fresh parsely diced and sprinkled.

Lush.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

Merseyside

I know that as Lyonaisse.

Normally done with lamb chops.

Anything cooked with sliced onion and potatoes is Lyonaisse.

By *andybeachWoman  over a year ago

In the middle

Slice 2 tins of corned beef into the bottom of a roasting dish, put a medallion of back bacon on every slice of corned beef, thinly slice an onion or two and scatter over the bacon/beef, peel and halve enough potatoes to cover everything and then cover the potatoes with streaky bacon, put plenty of pepper over it all then add a little hot water to cover the bacon/beef layer then bake for a few hours, what you have then it meaty goodness with roastie baked potatoes and crispy bacon

I know that as Lyonaisse.

Normally done with lamb chops.

Anything cooked with sliced onion and potatoes is Lyonaisse. "

My aunties were born in 1905 & 1910, I dont think they knew what lyonaisse was, for them it was making the most of what you’d got

By *elloIntrigueMan  over a year ago

North West UK

A corned beef hash in these parts is potato, onion and corned beef, seasoned with salt and pepper... I always find its nicer the day after it's been cooked when the tastes have had time to filter through...

"Ours is about to come out of the oven. Fuck yeah! "

I'm thinking this pair are in a corned beef food coma!! I hope it was good!

"Guess I'm having corned beef hash for dinner then...

You know you want to?"

I did it

By *elloIntrigueMan  over a year ago

North West UK

You know you want to?

I did it "

How was it for you?

I make it the way my mum makes it, place onions and potatoes in a pan, once the potatoes are soft drain, add a dash of pepper, butter and mash the spuds. Then mix in the corned beef.

Serve with baked beans.

You know you want to?

I did it "

And I hope you enjoyed it plus your warm mince pies after?!

"I make it the way my mum makes it, place onions and potatoes in a pan, once the potatoes are soft drain, add a dash of pepper, butter and mash the spuds. Then mix in the corned beef.

Serve with baked beans."

I'm actually liking the sound of some of these dry versions, what's the ratio for this, is there a ratio of potato to meat?

My pan full (4 portion) today only had 2 potatoes in.

You know you want to?

I did it

And I hope you enjoyed it plus your warm mince pies after?! "

Mince pies are happening now...with a glass of red

You know you want to?

I did it

Mince pies are happening now...with a glass of red "

Mulled red? Now that would be extra special.

You know you want to?

I did it

Mulled red? Now that would be extra special. "

I so don't want to ruin the illusion for you....but no...just a merlot

You know you want to?

I did it

I so don't want to ruin the illusion for you....but no...just a merlot "

Merlot is nice.

I've just had orange juice and cheese n onion crisps! Not that classy lol.

You know you want to?

I did it

Merlot is nice.

I've just had orange juice and cheese n onion crisps! Not that classy lol. "

But yummers

You know you want to?

I did it

Merlot is nice.

But yummers "

Totes. I debated getting the soft cheese out but decided to save it.

You know you want to?

I did it

Merlot is nice.

But yummers

Totes. I debated getting the soft cheese out but decided to save it."

You're a stronger woman than me!

Corned beef instead of minced beef sounds good for a cottage pie. Must try it.

No generic brown sauce. It has to be HP sauce. Any dissenters will be exiled to Heinz tomato sauce

By *ueen of sleezeWoman  over a year ago

Yorkshire

Potatoes onions carrots swede or parsnips corned beef boil it all up so its like a thick soup serve on a giant sage and onion Yorkshire pudd top it off with brown sauce

Mmmmmmm delish x

Drooling reading this thread!

By *ulldog_71Man  over a year ago

Sedgefield

Plain and simple boil up the potatoes with onion and the corned beef for the last 10 minutes add plenty of stock and a bit of sage and thyme, always make too much because it's the second helping reheated a few hours later that's the best.

» Add a new message to this topic