FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Vegetarians to dinner.

Vegetarians to dinner.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I must confess I am not one and have no intentions of becoming one either. I do have many friends who are though. Now from time to time I have vanilla friends round for dinner. I often find it a pain cooking two menus for them. So much so I am tempted not to invite the vegetarian round. What would you do in my situation?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

could always just cook everyone a veggie meal?

"could always just cook everyone a veggie meal?

"

I was tempted but one of the guys is a pure red blooded carnivore and would protest he was being denied his iron and protein intake.

my best mate and his family are a veggies... but i like their company so when its my turn to host, i leave my favourite bits of dead animal in the freezer and cook up a veggie meal for everyone. (thankfully not all veggie food tastes of cardboard!)

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

I'd always offer up a Veggie option to the non meat eater as there are plenty of simple veggie dishes....

I was tempted but one of the guys is a pure red blooded carnivore and would protest he was being denied his iron and protein intake. "

dont invite him them lol

I used to make two chilli's with rice and all the salsa's and accompaniments but found my meat eating friends would dig into and enjoy, the veggi one. So I gave up making two. Even meat eaters enjoy the occasional meatless meal.

Had my neice stay with us for a year a while aho and she was veggie... I ended up enjoyibg quite a few different veggie dishes...

As long as your inventive with the memu the greatest carnivore can enjoy theodd veggie meal

I was tempted but one of the guys is a pure red blooded carnivore and would protest he was being denied his iron and protein intake. "

Cook a main or several veggie dishes and a full blooded red one separately for us carnivores?

Lebanese cookbooks have some great veg recipies.

By *urreyfun2008Man  over a year ago

East Grinstead

Cook something gorgeous that is vegetarian, and give the carnivore a microwave meal, see which one they end up going for.

I do fajitas leaving out the meat sometimes, and to be honest you don't really notice.

Sounds like a case of meat over meet, to me!

By *essesCouple  over a year ago

nottingham

Stuffed mushrooms for starter and then spag bol using quorn and red wine if it's just a casual dinner bet they won't even notice the difference.

Lisa

I've been a veggie for over 25 years (although not for moral reasons I hasten to add)….

However if a case arose whereby a “friend” of mine felt it was too much hassle preparing a veggie option just for me for a dinner party they were hosting….

I’d honestly, rather not be invited at all!!!

I've had this situation quite a few times including christmas dinner!! What I find works well is a vegetarian starter such as soup or stuffed mushrooms etc. then for main course cook loads of vegetables and have two options e.g. nutloaf or meat such as chicken breasts both cooked in the oven so not messing about and a sauce such as peppercorn or mushroom that both can eat. Pudding is easy. Like someone said above-I have found that the meat eaters tended to scoff the veggie option!! Ms

beans on toast is a winner!

You could try using quorn , especially the mince version is very good, ive fed meat eaters on it without them realising! x

"beans on toast is a winner!"

I’d be genuinely delighted to be given beans on toast,,,,, I go to parties so I can enjoy the company rather than focus too much on the food provided,,,,

But I do realise some hosts might feel somewhat pressurised to attempt providing a veggie meal that’s looks as though equal effort has been put into it as was done for the non vegetarians options…

But for me, beans on toast and a warm welcome.... would do just fine…

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I would just cook a nice vegetarian meal for everyone, the meat eaters probely wont even notice its meat free

Give them cake! Everyone loves cake.

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"Give them cake! Everyone loves cake. "

Man after my own heart!

By *oJohnCouple  over a year ago

southend

Wow, am genuinely impressed that people are so accommodating to veggies.

Having been a veggie for 22 years it's good to see that the message that a meal can be great without the need for meat is finally getting through!

Can't beat a nice rare steak though

"Wow, am genuinely impressed that people are so accommodating to veggies.

Having been a veggie for 22 years it's good to see that the message that a meal can be great without the need for meat is finally getting through! "

I've always got Quorn in my freezer,easy option for vegi friends plus another friend is Muslim so it's easier for me to have that for her and her kids than try to get halal meat for them. Although if it was a planned dinner not a quick lunch I'd get halal meat for them. xx

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Having been a veggie for 22 years it's good to see that the message that a meal can be great without the need for meat is finally getting through! "

never... the sunday morning "bacon sandwich" is sacred!!!

+1 have been since i was 7 its nice that we arnt still looked as hippies and weirdos anymore. I'm one as i belive in no killing to eat BUT i dont ram it down peoples throats and it dosnt bother me if someone is sat by the side of me eating a steak xxx

I do actually like vegetarian food but i do often think its a bit rich for some vegetarians to expect you to eat a vegetarian meal yet not be prepared to eat a meal with meat included.

I am tempted to do a fish curry as everyone will eat fish as far as i remember ant it may be the best option.

Salad, veggies love it I'm told (;-)

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

Make them an ommelette!

One point which I've always thought odd. If vegetarians don't wish to eat meat, why do manufacturers of vegetable foods insist on calling their products after meat based dishes.

If they wish to or have to eat vegetarian dishes, why can't they call them something else, instead of Vegetarian Sausages, or Vegetarian Mince etc etc.

Do a chickpea and spinach curry

» Add a new message to this topic