FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Can any Police Officers answer this question for me?

Can any Police Officers answer this question for me?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I've just been watching one of those reality police programs. During a shouty drugs raid the men under suspicion asked for a cigarette. The policeman told him he couldn't because it was illegal to smoke in a place of work, and as the officers were working in his house, him smoking would be illegal?! Is that right, or was the officer just being a knob?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

erm some say that they the police are all knobs wherever they are

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

Looking forward to seeing how many police officers come forward to identify themselves on a public forum on a swingers site

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Northants

"erm some say that they the police are all knobs wherever they are "

Glad you said "some say" because I certainly wouldn't like to live in a country without them! Bet you'd be the first to call if you needed em...

But to the OP.. I suppose it is a place of work during a raid. The police have as much right to protection from secondhand smoke as you or I. Very interesting question though and I look forward to someone in the know, enlightening us!

"I've just been watching one of those reality police programs. During a shouty drugs raid the men under suspicion asked for a cigarette. The policeman told him he couldn't because it was illegal to smoke in a place of work, and as the officers were working in his house, him smoking would be illegal?! Is that right, or was the officer just being a knob?"

Sounds plausible and technically right. Think he was just trying to show him who was boss and keep control over the room.

"Looking forward to seeing how many police officers come forward to identify themselves on a public forum on a swingers site "

I was thinking the same thing.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Thank you everyone! I was in no way trying to "out" any police officers, sorry! I just thought they would know the answer.

[Removed by poster at 21/09/11 23:29:48]

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"Thank you everyone! I was in no way trying to "out" any police officers, sorry! I just thought they would know the answer. "

Might be a few who can answer you wearing their Ann Summers police uniforms though

"Looking forward to seeing how many police officers come forward to identify themselves on a public forum on a swingers site "

Please don'tmistakeme for old bill because I'm not but how many people full stop would stand up and identify themselves publicly on this site. If you think over 20% then you've better faith than me.

By *ouple1234Couple  over a year ago

BELFAST UK

its just not policemen ie. if you have a painter in your house and he dont smoke he can ask you not to smoke while he is there, or if you work from home and a client comes to your house you would be breaking the smoking law ( i am not a police man) to clear that up

who gives a toss hes just scum so if denying him a ciggy fucks him up who cares

By *mumaWoman  over a year ago

Livingston

In Scotland, if you are a council tenant and they have scheduled an appointment to visit your home then you cannot smoke indoors for 2 hours prior to that visit or during it, so I suppose it could be the same for the police.

I'm not a copper or anything similar but myself and a few work mates had a contract that involved us going into the customers houses. The local council sent a letter to the customers demanding that the tenants must refrain from smoking at least 2-3 hours before we arrived.

Don't ask why as we were as baffled as the tenants.

BELFAST UK

"I'm not a copper or anything similar but myself and a few work mates had a contract that involved us going into the customers houses. The local council sent a letter to the customers demanding that the tenants must refrain from smoking at least 2-3 hours before we arrived.

Don't ask why as we were as baffled as the tenants. "

2nd hand smoke its so your going into 'clean' air when you arrive on the job

"I've just been watching one of those reality police programs. During a shouty drugs raid the men under suspicion asked for a cigarette. The policeman told him he couldn't because it was illegal to smoke in a place of work, and as the officers were working in his house, him smoking would be illegal?! Is that right, or was the officer just being a knob?"

It is similar to someone who lives in council accommodation waiting for workmen to turn up. Even though its your own home you are obliged to provide a safe working environment for anyone working in your home. The council will not let workmen stay in your property if you are smoking.

I would presume if an officer was working in your premises he is entitled to as safe as possible working environment and not to be assaulted either physically or by second hand smoke. I think its reasonable for officers to have as clean air as possible doesn't everyone else?

By *taffs_hotwifeCouple  over a year ago

Lichfield

It's the best law ever imo. Being an electrician I used to hate having to work in smokers houses.

"I'm not a copper or anything similar but myself and a few work mates had a contract that involved us going into the customers houses. The local council sent a letter to the customers demanding that the tenants must refrain from smoking at least 2-3 hours before we arrived.

thats because a council house not your house, as a council house the council are obligated to send people out from time to time to do replairs, as the owner of the house they have the rights to tell you not to smoke in there if they have to send workers in

If you own the house you may smoke in their no matters whos in your house, if you have a work man in and they dont like you smoking they can refuse to do the work but your not breaking any law by smoking in a house your buying with work men in

same with police, if its a place of work its classed as a public place so you shouldnt smoke there, that includes working from home, however if your a home owner and the police come out to you home thats not a place of work, just your home your breaking no law by smoking infront of them

Its not just homes though you are not supposed to smoke in work vans as they are classed as places of work too.

2nd hand smoke its so your going into 'clean' air when you arrive on the job "

They should have asked them to clean the dog shit and syringes up too if they wanted us in a clean environment

BELFAST UK

2nd hand smoke its so your going into 'clean' air when you arrive on the job

They should have asked them to clean the dog shit and syringes up too if they wanted us in a clean environment "

flip a smokey house would of been a better deal than working with that crap around the place

BELFAST UK

is england etc the same as NI psv taxi drivers cant smoke in there cars or cabs even when they are off duty

"Looking forward to seeing how many police officers come forward to identify themselves on a public forum on a swingers site

I was thinking the same thing. "

Surely they will come forward with the Army, Firemen, Pilots and Surgeons....I will go fetch the bear trap ............................................ohhh no hang on there not coming are they

By *xccvvMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire North East

"who gives a toss hes just scum so if denying him a ciggy fucks him up who cares"

Police go to house so they scum? even if was charged doesnt make them guilty, police do get things wrong from time to time even jail people for up to 20 years who are innocent, what next bring back hanging?

"who gives a toss hes just scum so if denying him a ciggy fucks him up who cares

Police go to house so they scum? even if was charged doesnt make them guilty, police do get things wrong from time to time even jail people for up to 20 years who are innocent, what next bring back hanging? "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erthun0Pauc

oh dear another lib dem

i suppose hitler should have had a trial

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"oh dear another lib dem

i suppose hitler should have had a trial"

How strange.......

"who gives a toss hes just scum so if denying him a ciggy fucks him up who cares

Police go to house so they scum? even if was charged doesnt make them guilty, police do get things wrong from time to time even jail people for up to 20 years who are innocent, what next bring back hanging? "

thankyou Bn46.

"oh dear another lib dem

i suppose hitler should have had a trial"

yes.

"who gives a toss hes just scum so if denying him a ciggy fucks him up who cares"

I'm thinking you didn't mean the police man was scum but the guy who the police man said couldn't smoke or is it just me that has read that like that

By *drianukMan  over a year ago

Spain, Lancashire

Does anyone else suspect that the EU is behind this? I travel a lot and see the same moves in all EU countries. It seems logical to make a connection.

"Does anyone else suspect that the EU is behind this? I travel a lot and see the same moves in all EU countries. It seems logical to make a connection."

I'm thinking you didn't mean the police man was scum but the guy who the police man said couldn't smoke or is it just me that has read that like that "

nope not just you. I took it thst thescum referred to the person asking for the cig not the policeman...

Phew not going mad yet thank you Crube x

That reminded me: I had asked for the fire brigade to come and fire proof my home and fit fire alarms. I was sent a letter confirming the appointment and to ask me not to smoke while they were there and not two-three hours beforehand.

I don't smoke but the whole thing sounded ridiculous to me...firemen not wanting to smell smoke?!!

i suppose the police could argue as they work eveywhere any building could therefore be classed as a place of work.

not a copper juat they can be pedantic.

Naturally, nobody smokes in their houses or cars any more...;-) because either is potentially a thief's place of work...

By *ilmiss75Woman  over a year ago

Thornton

I'm a non-smoker. In august I had whole new central heating fitted... Workmen were in and out for 4 days. I did not receive any sort of letter prior to this saying no smoking was allowed. Infact, I've never heard or it before.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Its not just in local authority housing.

I cant smoke before my nurse comes, but im having a new bathroom fitted at the moment and noone mentioned smoking to me at all. I think some are more strict on the rules than others. But it is officially the law

By *urreyfun2008Man  over a year ago

East Grinstead

May be down to the company insurance, and firms/councils simply ensuring there are fewer grounds on which they could be exposing people to a risk.

Was in town yesterday and saw an army truck and the chaps inside were smoking like mad lol.

By *ne-just4funMan  over a year ago

Southampton

At the end of the day it's all to do with passive smoking..why would any non smoker want to breath in someone else's smoke.

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

there are quite a few here..

not a police officer, however, I can give a few ideas of why they wouldnt allow it.

The suspect could use it to burn themselves, not much of a risk but any injury and they would have to be taken to hospital, drawing out the whole arrest procedure and making life more difficult for the cops.

have also seen ppl headbutt folk after they lean in to get a light as well, again, not pleasant

I asked my brother who's a Chief Inspector,He said

'I don't think we can enforce it.The Only time I do is in a pub and even then its a council problem as it's a breach of licensing regs'

He added that he actually encouraged smoking during the execution of warrants as 24 years experience told him if you let them have a fag they tend to be more compliant and truthful

This is correct.

You're not even supposed to smoke in your own home within an hour of a meter reader coming round.

Basically, this country is slowmy turning into a dictatorship.

Torquay

"I've just been watching one of those reality police programs. During a shouty drugs raid the men under suspicion asked for a cigarette. The policeman told him he couldn't because it was illegal to smoke in a place of work, and as the officers were working in his house, him smoking would be illegal?! Is that right, or was the officer just being a knob?

This is correct.

You're not even supposed to smoke in your own home within an hour of a meter reader coming round.

Basically, this country is slowmy turning into a dictatorship."

Only if the home is rented from a local authority or housing association of course...

"I've just been watching one of those reality police programs. During a shouty drugs raid the men under suspicion asked for a cigarette. The policeman told him he couldn't because it was illegal to smoke in a place of work, and as the officers were working in his house, him smoking would be illegal?! Is that right, or was the officer just being a knob?

This is correct.

Basically, this country is slowmy turning into a dictatorship.

Only if the home is rented from a local authority or housing association of course..."

no, it applies to any home where a third party will be using it as a place of work.

be that a builder, plumber, meter reader etc

Torquay

Taken from the government website 'National Archives'...

"The smokefree law does not prohibit people from smoking in their own private dwellings."

emphasis on 'their own private dwellings'....

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"At the end of the day it's all to do with passive smoking..why would any non smoker want to breath in someone else's smoke. "

why woul a non smoker assume they could make demands of someone in their own home??

its their choice not to smoke as much as its other peoples choice to smoke, you go into their property its their rules surely???

Someone was coming to our house to do cavity wall insulation. We were told by the company that their employees were entitled to work in a smoke free environment and if we were smokers, that we would have to refrain for the duration of the company's visit.

Neither of us smoke so it made no difference to us but I suspect that the police officer referred to in this thread was technically correct whilst being a total knobhead at the same time. Sadly the minority of police officers are knobheads which give the majority of decent, self respecting ones a bad name ..

i know from a family member getting lung cancer and never smoked that passive smoking is underestimated . now moving on to police and sex sites .... ladies... i for one have had policemen lovers . top ranking at that . they no different to any otha guy on here .

Southampton

"At the end of the day it's all to do with passive smoking..why would any non smoker want to breath in someone else's smoke.

why woul a non smoker assume they could make demands of someone in their own home??

its their choice not to smoke as much as its other peoples choice to smoke, you go into their property its their rules surely???"

If someone HAS to enter that house, then they have every right to expect the occupants not to smoke around them. At the end of the day, not smoking never killed a third party, unlike passive smoking.

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

I've never been a smoker, but hasn't it all got a bit ridiculous?

dosent matter if it police or any other worker soon as they have to do a job in your house it becomes there work place so they have the righit to tell you not to smoke as you can be fined for it but that rule is a bitch y should people be able to say what goes on in my house i pay the fucking rent but what i have said is a fact xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

dosent matter if it police or any other worker soon as they have to do a job in your house it becomes there work place so they have the righit to tell you not to smoke as you can be fined for it but that rule is a bitch y should people be able to say what goes on in my house i pay the fucking rent but what i have said is a fact xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

By *enithWoman  over a year ago

closer than you think

I was having sky installed and advised that I should refrain from smoking for 2 hours prior ..... no skin off my nose as I don't smoke (well not since February )

"At the end of the day it's all to do with passive smoking..why would any non smoker want to breath in someone else's smoke.

its their choice not to smoke as much as its other peoples choice to smoke, you go into their property its their rules surely???

If someone HAS to enter that house, then they have every right to expect the occupants not to smoke around them. At the end of the day, not smoking never killed a third party, unlike passive smoking."

absolute rubbish.

anyone and everyone should be allowed to do as they please (within reason) inside their own home.

As smoking isn't even illegal, then it's not really too much to expect that people be allowed to do it in their own home.

and no, I don't smoke tobacco.

Southampton

If someone HAS to enter that house, then they have every right to expect the occupants not to smoke around them. At the end of the day, not smoking never killed a third party, unlike passive smoking.

absolute rubbish.

anyone and everyone should be allowed to do as they please (within reason) inside their own home.

As smoking isn't even illegal, then it's not really too much to expect that people be allowed to do it in their own home.

and no, I don't smoke tobacco."

So asking someone not to smoke while you are working in their home is unreasonable then???

evesham

absolute rubbish.

So asking someone not to smoke while you are working in their home is unreasonable then???"

not unreasonable but it is unreasonable to expect them to do it IMHO

absolute rubbish.

So asking someone not to smoke while you are working in their home is unreasonable then???"

if they haven't invited you to come and work in their home then yes, it is.

Southampton

absolute rubbish.

So asking someone not to smoke while you are working in their home is unreasonable then???

not unreasonable but it is unreasonable to expect them to do it IMHO"

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one

evesham

absolute rubbish.

not unreasonable but it is unreasonable to expect them to do it IMHO

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one "

guess so - makes no odds to me anyway as i dont smoke and neither does my handyman (dad)

By *anielle27Couple  over a year ago

Falkrk

think it depends if the area is a crime scene.... then it becomes a working environment - therefore no smoking allowed....... i think.

"think it depends if the area is a crime scene.... then it becomes a working environment - therefore no smoking allowed....... i think."

no, it covers anywhere where someone is "on the clock" or "at work", whether they are a copper, plumber, doctor, vet, dentist, electrician etc etc etc.

Basically, if a copper comes round your house just to beat you up, you're not allowed to smoke, even though it's your own home (rented or owned).

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

i'm seeing a loophole open,right before my eyes.

the drug dealers human rights are being breached,due to the police declaring his home,a place of work.

they gave no prior notice,they would be working in his home.

he did not give his permission,for his home to become a place of work.

denying him a cigarette,is an obvious breach of his human rights,due to lack of consultation.

poor guy,he'll probably be sent to switzerland,for 2 weeks,to help him get over the trauma.

"i'm seeing a loophole open,right before my eyes.

the drug dealers human rights are being breached,due to the police declaring his home,a place of work.

denying him a cigarette,is an obvious breach of his human rights,due to lack of consultation.

poor guy,he'll probably be sent to switzerland,for 2 weeks,to help him get over the trauma. "

which drug dealer are you referring to?

the original post mentioned a drugs raid on someone's home, not a criminal case in a court of law.

no one mentioned anything about anyone being found guilty of any crime.

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

poor guy,he'll probably be sent to switzerland,for 2 weeks,to help him get over the trauma.

the original post mentioned a drugs raid on someone's home, not a criminal case in a court of law.

"

any mention of drug dealer,in my post.could you just wack the word alleged in front of it,thank you.

any mention of drug dealer,in my post.could you just wack the word alleged in front of it,thank you."

In which case, I think any reasonable person would agree that he/she is entitled to smoke a cigarette in their own home.

By *ones_BoothCouple  over a year ago

Solihull

i would say being pedantic lol

» Add a new message to this topic