FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Cage fighting for kids

Cage fighting for kids

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ezebel OP   Woman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

There has just been an article on the local news about a licensed cage fighting event for 8 year old lads.

The British Medical Assoc and NSPCC have expressed their concerns.

The Police say it is perfectly legal.

Event supporters say it is a martial art activity that teaches kids discipline and keeps them off the streets...

Should these events be allowed??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Hmmm...if it gives kids things to do, and gets them interested in something that doesn't involve playstation I think it can be a good thing. But in this case, only as long as they're not really kicking seven lumps of shit out of each other.

If it's monitored well, I think it's a good thing.

we could have done with one of them rings outside our school gates

Its no different to junior boxing or martial arts it teaches them self discapline and awareness rather as a sport than out on the street

I doubt very much whether the children involved will be actually allowed to hit each other. I dont know the circumstances but the press will have hyped up the event to make it something its not. If it was illegal it would have been stopped.

It will be a similar thing to martial arts I should imagine

"Its no different to junior boxing or martial arts it teaches them self discapline and awareness rather as a sport than out on the street"

Hmmm that sounds perfectly reasonable, but when you see the film of them kicking seven shades out of each other with a crowd of adults cheering them on it doesnt look so disciplined...

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

No.

"Its no different to junior boxing or martial arts it teaches them self discapline and awareness rather as a sport than out on the street

Hmmm that sounds perfectly reasonable, but when you see the film of them kicking seven shades out of each other with a crowd of adults cheering them on it doesnt look so disciplined..."

where can this film be seen?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

Merseyside

From what i gather the press are portraying it as barbaric but the organisers are stating facts such as it involves wrestling to the ground only and isn't hitting , kicking or any other form of attack.

I say if people object to this then they are going to have to object to all other forms of combat sports such as ju jitsu, tai kwon do , karate etc..

If people are placing bets on the outcomes then that is where the problem will lie.

"Its no different to junior boxing or martial arts it teaches them self discapline and awareness rather as a sport than out on the street

Hmmm that sounds perfectly reasonable, but when you see the film of them kicking seven shades out of each other with a crowd of adults cheering them on it doesnt look so disciplined..."

The fights are within competition and monitored very closely and will have protective safety clothing no contact to certain parts of the body such as the head it all works on a points system. And its no different to supporting your kids on a football or rugby pitch. Now rugby is a very tough sport loads of injuries within rugby

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

Merseyside

P.S.

If no betting is involved then yes,it should be allowed.

I saw it on the news tonight. I think it's good that they have an interest and don't hang about street corners. They weren't allowed to punch each other. But I was more disturbed that it was a room full of adults cheering and that it was broadcast on the web. These things should be kept to training areas. They said it was an exhibition event and therefore legal.

Yeah but the film shown was not of the kids at this particular event, as it hasnt happened yet has it. It would be a random video from the internet. Its all hype with the media. You have to take it with a pinch of salt.

Similar to the women who opened a salon and it was reported that she was spray tanning children. It said the youngest who attended the opening night was 2 years old and people were in uproar.

What actually happened was the salon owner was spray tanning 15year olds, who are still children of course, and the 2 year old child was obviously attending with her mother who was probably a customer of the beauty salon. All those stories are sensationalised.

That said, I dont agree with boxing or cage fighting etc. I couldnt watch two men hit each other, and to see kids training for these sports does bother me.

I should rephrase my post and say that I havent read the article so I dont know whether this event has taken place. I misread the opening post to read that it was going to take place.

"

where can this film be seen?"

Apparently its on the net but I saw it on the local news. It was in Preston

Something tells me that the Daily Fail will have a field day over this tomorrow...

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

just seen the footage on sky news and that worried me... that looked full on rather than just the wrestling element of it...

see my original thought was well they do martial arts and boxing and wrestling for kids that age.. why not.. but now... not so sure, and this comes from someone who really likes MMA.....

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

Maybe they should install one at the back of each classroom and let those kids who want to learn get on?

Depends on the culture...

If the mentors encourage respect, discipline, humility, fair play, and the facts of life...win or lose, then its all good fer me...

If its another form of the freak show, then its a no go fer me..

By *ong_legs2Couple  over a year ago

Southend

[Removed by poster at 21/09/11 23:25:21]

Southend

ITS ALL A LOAD OF SHIT! all the reports i've seen have all been shit! its not kids cage fighting. none of the kids threw a single punch or kick.

what the kids are doing is exactly the same thing they would do in any judo, jui-jitsu or wrestling competition (which happen every weekend all over the country).only difference is that it is in a cage which makes very little difference

the way the media have jumped all over this without taking the time to research this properly is pure bullshit!

ok rant over!

"There has just been an article on the local news about a licensed cage fighting event for 8 year old lads.

The British Medical Assoc and NSPCC have expressed their concerns.

The Police say it is perfectly legal.

Event supporters say it is a martial art activity that teaches kids discipline and keeps them off the streets...

Should these events be allowed??"

i saw a documentary on this once, only it was mainly about a young girl whos father made her do it

It was full contact 'sport' ands she was about 8 years old but the age group for her went upto 12, the girl was put in the ring with a older girl who was easily twice her size and during the fight i remember the younger girl running over to her father who was also her manager crying trying to get out and he just turned her round and just pushed her back in and stood there yelling at her while this older girl was 'fighting' her

when talking to the child after they asked if she liked what she did and all the time she was looking at her dad looking for replies and i think the best answer she gave was, yes because it makes my daddy happy!!

I remember thinking if that was two dogs people would go to prison

To me its bloody sport, people are fighting children for their own financial gain

im not sure how anyone can see that as right

i saw it too and its DISGUSTING but youll always find a few yooman rights halfwits who cant see the harm it does

"it makes my daddy happy" that quote sums it all up

they cant have dangerous dogs so lets have kids on leads

get a grip

Southend

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/garethadavies/100019801/the-ignoranti-namely-the-bbc-and-sky-condemn-mma-and-boxing-yet-make-fools-of-themselves/

ignorant reporting on sky and the bbc's part

Ive been involved in MMA for years, cage fighting is not a technically correct term as it can be done in a ring or even a matted area. Junior MMA usually requires the children to wear head guards shinguards body protectors and other protective equipment. The problem is that MMA has a negative image due to the media and some government organisations. Like any combat sport as long as the referee is good and all safety equipment is used and the rules are sensible, no head shots, no neck cranks etc etc then there is not usually an issue and it can be good to see children compete and progress. I think personally that any MMA event should have an independant person there to check the rules, equipment etc and ensure all is run sensibly. As for crowds of adults baying for blood, sickening it happens at the adult shows, the fighters mates and girl friends etc shouting for blood, it makes me sad and sickens me.

By *drianukMan  over a year ago

Spain, Lancashire

It wasn't 'cage fighting' as the media called it. Totally sloppy reporting - inspired by a press release by the NSPCC.

I saw the report. It was wrestling. Boys and girls have always wrestled. Totally innocently. The NSPCC are a rent-seeking 'charity' and they know the media are desperate for 'news'. The journalists went along with the deception. They should be ashamed.

Southend

this wasnt even junior mma, it was a grappling match in a cage

Southend

[Removed by poster at 22/09/11 01:07:33]

Southend

"It wasn't 'cage fighting' as the media called it. Totally sloppy reporting - inspired by a press release by the NSPCC.

I saw the report. It was wrestling. Boys and girls have always wrestled. Totally innocently. The NSPCC are a rent-seeking 'charity' and they know the media are desperate for 'news'. The journalists went along with the deception. They should be ashamed."

exactly!

Well to be fair i didnt see the report but anything even remotly with mma in the title and the media have a frenzy

Southend

"Well to be fair i didnt see the report but anything even remotly with mma in the title and the media have a frenzy"

the video in on youtube, if you see it you'll see how ridiculous the media is being

By *eighleedsMan  over a year ago

leeds

Direct quote from a friend who is heavily involved in training his adult son, who fights in BAMMA, obviously am not going to give his name.

'. It was silly the promoters doing that! I seen MP's saying disgraceful and the kids should do boxing (more dangerous) screaming tabloids jumping on band wagon. The truth is this was not a cage fight it just wrestling, arguably safer then boxing! However it was foolish of the promoters to put the kids on at an adult cage fighting event.'

By *iggles and BeardyCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

Ever since ju jitsu (or however it is spelt) started to dominate ultimate fighting it's turned into a hug fest.

I personaly see no difference in it to youth boxing, kung fu or kick boxing.

If the kid enjoys it let them my 5yr old is just signing up for rugby and is a tad disapointed at the tags and no tackles.

If it wasnt for the presence of a cage the press wouldn't have even given it a second glance.

Combat sports give lots of youngsters opportunity and discipline in this country.

MMA is one of the fastest growing sports worldwide but it needs to be careful about how it goes about prmoting itself to stop narrow-mindedness stifling it's growth.

Who's younger family members play football, rugby, horse riding etc etc?

If the people involved in the mma/cage fighting police it right and abide by the rules set, then I don't see it as a problem.

What always amuses and amazes me, is the behaviour of the parents at sporting events. Many times we have seen parents shouting abuse and verbal threats at their own children and others playing on a girls only football game.

Maybe the parents should be taught discipline and manners and lead by example

i'd be up on a murder charge if my mini went in there. One punch or kick from the other kid and i would annihilate them and their family

As you can guess, i'm a little over protective

At the end of the day kids these days are wrapped up in cotton wool. British bull dog banned have to wear safety equipment to play conkers, not allowed to climb trees etc the list goes on. Why there were so many adults at the cage fight was that adults were fighting after the kids match and that was lust an exhibition bout.

Kids fighting, ok, yup it happens between them daily in the street etc, and some might think this thing was "organised properly" but,, what was also there was direct exposure to the drinking/pub style environment and glam ringside round count girls (allegedly).

Im in no way a prude, but that cant be right for kids to be amongst surely?

Never been a fan of any violent sport. There seems to be to much hurt in the world without siting there and enjoy watching "children" fight .People get hurt every day partipating in various sporting activities.But hitting seven lumps out of another person is not my enjoyment and certainly not a discipline..quite disturbing

"im away out down the pub, theres a fight on and everything it should be a good night", you'd be raising yer eyebrows if yer dad said that, but your son!!!!?

By *urreyfun2008Man  over a year ago

East Grinstead

Based purely on the comments here...

Running this on the same bill as an adults event was perhaps a mistake. Earlier in the day with a gap before an evening adults event.

As with all kids hobbies too easy for parents to push what they missed onto their kids, and ruin an activity for them.

Also we have gone too far down the 'johny/jane must not play cowboys and indians, soldiers etc rough and tumble' line.

"Based purely on the comments here...

Running this on the same bill as an adults event was perhaps a mistake. Earlier in the day with a gap before an evening adults event.

As with all kids hobbies too easy for parents to push what they missed onto their kids, and ruin an activity for them.

Also we have gone too far down the 'johny/jane must not play cowboys and indians, soldiers etc rough and tumble' line.

"

Maybe that is the case having them seperate but In America its more accepted and it is a much bigger scene.

"Based purely on the comments here...

Maybe that is the case having them seperate but In America its more accepted and it is a much bigger scene."

glad thats moraly cleaned that one up

Southend

has anyone seen the video or have everyone just read the reports n the title of this thread and just assumed what gone on??

what these kids were doing WAS NOT CAGE FIGHTING.

there was no punches or kicks at all during the duration of the bout, all they did submission wrestling which is perfectly safe and in way harmful to the kids

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

has anyone seen the video or have everyone just read the reports n the title of this thread and just assumed what gone on??

what these kids were doing WAS NOT CAGE FIGHTING.

there was no punches or kicks at all during the duration of the bout, all they did submission wrestling which is perfectly safe and in way harmful to the kids"

I think I have an issue that it was on an adult card.. and inside a cage..... that was the madness bit

other then that.. that was a mean triangle choke that kid tried to put on... p.s.. not allowed to do that on a wrestling match...

Southend

thing is though the kids match was something that went on during the break of the event so wasnt like it was a whole show with kids grappling, just light hearted entertainment during the break

ps it wasnt a wrestling match, it was submission wrestling

» Add a new message to this topic