FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Getting from A to B

Getting from A to B

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I'm not a driver due to being narcoleptic, fast cars and randomly falling asleep don't really mix.

I'm guessing that most of you here drive, so I was wondering what you think about car vs public transport. Of course having your own vehicle is far more convenient but some of don't have that luxury.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I dont drive due to medical reasons. Ive always made do with public transport. I guess with the price of petrol its sometimes cheaper to go by train

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

i used the train for the first time in ages he other day, hated it!!! i missed the one i was aiming to get and had to wait an hour for the next one!!!

also buses annoy me cos they have to go all round the houses to get to where i am going to!!

but i guess if i had never elarnt to drive and had no knowledge of the luxury of going where i want when i want then public transport would be ok

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Public transport ???? whats that ...

I think current location has a lot to do with it. Used to work on the south bank in London and foud the tube to be perfect for getting around

By *ishful.thinkingWoman  over a year ago

east london

I don't have a licence so have used public transport for the past 15 years and wouldn't complain. Recently I got a road bike and use it to and from work and for other bits. I'm now arriving there in half the time and getting fitter, think that sort of sums it up.

I dont drive but never have a problem getting to where I want to be I love the train its like going on holiday.

Funny you mention a bike as I got myself one about a month ago. Lovely on sunny days, not so much in the rain!

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I use a push bike to get too and from work.

Everything else I use public transport. I've been all over the country on trains, from Wales up to Scotland. I love the train.

Although I am learning to drive now, because my epilepsy is controlled.

By *ishful.thinkingWoman  over a year ago

east london

Got it through the cycle to work scheem, will pay for itself in 6 months if I don't get a monthly pass. So far I've been lucky on the weather front so we'll see how it goes

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Thank goodness for my bus pass and being able to accommodate.

By *mumaWoman  over a year ago

Livingston

I only drive men wild, and ask them to come to me for a meet.

With regard to everyday life, then my feet and public transport suffice x

I lived in Frankfurt for nearly 4 years and although I had a car, I rarely used it. Public transport there was simply the easiest, cheapest and in many cases the quickest way of getting around.

The whole tram debacle in Edinburgh shows that we're still in the dark ages as far as an efficient mass transit system is concerned.

I drive but I am on the edge of the civilised world and need to be able to.

My daughter lives in a large city and refuses to learn to drive. She walks cycles or busses it every day.

"I lived in Frankfurt for nearly 4 years and although I had a car, I rarely used it. Public transport there was simply the easiest, cheapest and in many cases the quickest way of getting around.

The whole tram debacle in Edinburgh shows that we're still in the dark ages as far as an efficient mass transit system is concerned."

Think most tram towns now realise they should have kept their trams.

Oh can I just say a thank you to you all posting on this thread. My first venture to the forums!

"Oh can I just say a thank you to you all posting on this thread. My first venture to the forums!"

Welcome to the forums. xx

"I'm not a driver due to being narcoleptic, fast cars and randomly falling asleep don't really mix.

I'm guessing that most of you here drive, so I was wondering what you think about car vs public transport. Of course having your own vehicle is far more convenient but some of don't have that luxury."

Public transport in the UK is hit and miss. If you live in big cities it works but getting to out of the way places must be a nightmare for you.

its amazing,£13 to birmingham from glasgow lol...by bus but who cares lol I can sleep on the bus , plug my lappy in and use the free wifi!

id be lost without my car, glad i learnt to drive when i was 17.. having a young child and public transport = nightmare for me and everyone else

Slightly off topic, but I once got a one way ticket from Glasgow to Frankfurt via Ryanair for 50p! True story.

Take some time to add up how much it costs to run a car every year. How many holidays could that finance?

Walk most places, no need for gym fees and if it is too far, bus or train and a good book.

Public transport wouldn't be so bad if they could co-ordinate buses, trains, flights to all slot together like many european countries manage to do.

"Take some time to add up how much it costs to run a car every year. How many holidays could that finance?

Walk most places, no need for gym fees and if it is too far, bus or train and a good Fook."

"Take some time to add up how much it costs to run a car every year. How many holidays could that finance?

Walk most places, no need for gym fees and if it is too far, bus or train and a good book."

where I live even driving it takes 40 minutes to get near civilisation in any direction. Buses are so sporadic I'd be stranded most days.

Walk most places, no need for gym fees and if it is too far, bus or train and a good book."

just worked it out

£1200 on finance for the damm thing, £110 on car tax, £340 on insurance £60 for MOT (if nothing wrong.. i wish) £180 for service and around £540 on petrol (£45 a month)

grand total £2430... oh and breakdown cover is £99

Walk most places, no need for gym fees and if it is too far, bus or train and a good book.

just worked it out

£1200 on finance for the damm thing, £110 on car tax, £340 on insurance £60 for MOT (if nothing wrong.. i wish) £180 for service and around £540 on petrol (£45 a month)

grand total £2430... oh and breakdown cover is £99"

and possibly a free shag from the RAC man hehehe

just worked it out

... safe convenient travel for you and little one....... priceless

when i was out of work i used my mountain bike to get everywhere.

had no other option and journeys like blackwater to reading soon become easier once your up to speed.

ive never worked it out like that before,, just budget each month.

getting a new car on finance was my biggest mistake,, however that was done before little one was created, luckily ive only got another 10 payments wooooo

i just adore the freedom we now have, to get up and go. we can feed the ducks whenever, go visit family in the midlands, go for a picnic on dartmoor etc

just worked it out

perhaps a cruise?

"and possibly a free shag from the RAC man hehehe"

AA man and ive had 2 really nice ones come to my rescue in the past

"I'm not a driver due to being narcoleptic, fast cars and randomly falling asleep don't really mix.

I'm guessing that most of you here drive, so I was wondering what you think about car vs public transport. Of course having your own vehicle is far more convenient but some of don't have that luxury."

car every time

the public transport infrastructure just isn't good enough in manchester

i work 10 mins from work by car

by bus & on foot you'd be looking at knocking an hour (and i live on a relatively well served bus route)

"and possibly a free shag from the RAC man hehehe

AA man and ive had 2 really nice ones come to my rescue in the past "

... a very very nice man!

hey stuffed welcome to the forums treacle

i only passed last year so i'm a novice driver and i just love how much easier it has made my life and really cross with myself for having left it so long to do i couldn't imagine having to go back to public transport again to be honest

"perhaps a cruise? "

even though it totals a serious amount of money id deffo still rather have the access to my car, if god forbid anything happend to my daughter i could drive her to the hospital. I live in a remote area (not completely in the sticks) and busses are only every hour.

Public transport wouldn't be practical either for me and my little one and i think its unfair on other passengers if on a train journey she got hot, bothered and was crying. least with a car, i can pull over to deal with her

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

I drive for a living and I find it so relaxing to go on the train. I regard from my home near Bournemouth to anywhere West Midlands-ish plenty far enough to drive in my own older car. I did drive to Bury and Huddersfield last year but had the security of hiring a decent car for those trips. Any further than this and I`m looking at booking a train ticket. Usually, if event organisers do a good job, you shouldn`t have to far between hotels and venues. I have to admit that I`m a railway enthusiast and have got to know some of the tricks, best routes to use to get the best ticket prices etc. which helps so much.

By *oddyWoman  over a year ago

between havant and chichester

enough idiots on the road without me adding to them

have 3 trains a hr in each direction and 2 buses a hr each way

plus no where to park if i did drive due to all the 3 car familys in my rd who think they own it

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

there is one disadvantage to public transport.

when did you last hear someone say they look like the back end of a car?

It takes me 4mins to get to work by car and 45mins by bus and then a walk...no points for guessing which i use! lol

» Add a new message to this topic