FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Olympic Team GB

Olympic Team GB

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So the BOA have reached an agreement with the FAs of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland regarding a UK football team for next year's Olympics. Have they indeed?

No they haven't, according the the FAs of Scotland, Wales and N.I., who have denounced the BOA and English FA as speaking unofficially on their behalf.

That's one thing.

But, fielding a Team GB at the Olympics next July/August will come 26 days after the European Championships in Poland/Ukraine and just one week BEFORE the start of the Official Premiership Football season. (The Olympic Football Final itself will probably be on the same day as the Charity Shield, which is the traditional start of the season).

Ok, so the dates clash, so what.

Well, Olympic rules dictate that no events can take place on or near an Olympic venue a week either side of the Olympic Games, so on that basis Wembley cannot host the Charity Shield until the 19th August, and that pushes the start of the Premiership season back a week further to 26th August.

If Team GB wish to field a football team then that's up to them, but I can't see any home nations premiership player playing in it, nor any home nations international player who's just played in the Euros. That leaves the also-rans who can't make it into a Premiership side or their national side.

Team GB has hamstrung itself. And made me wait two more fookin weeks for the football season to start next year!! Feckin athletics. Why can't they leave football out of it. Wankers.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

Forgive me, but I thought the Olympics was for amateurs or am I behind the times

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

Yeah well, the BOA officials have to justify their 20% increase in salaries somehow.

"Forgive me, but I thought the Olympics was for amateurs or am I behind the times "

Not for football. Pros allowed.

There will be women's football at the Lympics though, so it may be worth watching just to see them rip their shirts off after scoring.

Bit like some women on here actually.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

its alright - there are no British players in the premier league anyway

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

"Forgive me, but I thought the Olympics was for amateurs or am I behind the times

Not for football. Pros allowed.

There will be women's football at the Lympics though, so it may be worth watching just to see them rip their shirts off after scoring.

Bit like some women on here actually. "

OK, thanks and agree, come on the start of the English season is sacrosanct

"its alright - there are no British players in the premier league anyway "

You're such a girl!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"its alright - there are no British players in the premier league anyway

You're such a girl! "

last time i checked!!! but might need a second opinion

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

the IOC dropped the word 'amateur' from their rule book some years back

Athletes were being paid on the quiet and it was becoming a farce.

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

Pro tennis players, for one were admitted years ago.

Capriati was a winner in the late 80's early 90's i believe.

Plans are afoot to include Golf at some point.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

a couple of things.... depending on the olympic football semi final dates, there is nothing for example holding the charity shield at old trafford for example... or even the millenium stadium again!!

olympic football is an under 23 tournament, however each is allowed 3 "overs" if they want and the squad size is only allowed to be 18 large..

so certain teams are going to be hit harder then others...

I can see man u being hit (Johnny Evans, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, danny welbeck) liverpool (jordan henderson, danny wilson, andy carroll) arsenal (theo walcott, jack wilshire, aaron ramsey, kieran gibbs)

plus gareth bale and others.... it will be interesting!

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

If there's one thing the Olympic football won't be, it's "interesting"...

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"If there's one thing the Olympic football won't be, it's "interesting"..."

actually... if you go back and look at the last 3 olympic finals... they actually all have been bloody good games.......

i am hoping to go to one of the quarters at st james'... in both the men and women...

"a couple of things.... depending on the olympic football semi final dates, there is nothing for example holding the charity shield at old trafford for example... or even the millenium stadium again!!

olympic football is an under 23 tournament, however each is allowed 3 "overs" if they want and the squad size is only allowed to be 18 large..

I can see man u being hit (Johnny Evans, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, danny welbeck) liverpool (jordan henderson, danny wilson, andy carroll) arsenal (theo walcott, jack wilshire, aaron ramsey, kieran gibbs)

"

Assuming the premiership managers will release them, and the players themselves wish to participate. A lot of them will have been in Poland a month before and will be required for pre-season preparations by their clubs.

Any team Team GB field will be a weak one.

By *ouple1234Couple  over a year ago

BELFAST UK

could pick from the 2nd's of all the clubs to make a GB first team

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

"If there's one thing the Olympic football won't be, it's "interesting"...

actually... if you go back and look at the last 3 olympic finals... they actually all have been bloody good games.......

"

So 1 out of every 64 matches then?

"If there's one thing the Olympic football won't be, it's "interesting"...

So 1 out of every 64 matches then?"

Where ya been Man ? Missed ya...Does that sound Gay? Oh what the heck give us a kiss...X

"a couple of things.... depending on the olympic football semi final dates, there is nothing for example holding the charity shield at old trafford for example... or even the millenium stadium again!!

Assuming the premiership managers will release them, and the players themselves wish to participate. A lot of them will have been in Poland a month before and will be required for pre-season preparations by their clubs.

Any team Team GB field will be a weak one."

Think you're over-estimating how many players will appear in both. If you look at England's squad for the last game only 4 players are eligible for the Olympic squad (ignoring the 3 over-23s rule). Only 2 are regulars with their club sides, Wilshere & Walcott. The squad won't change much come Euro 2012 so there's a lot of great young players who won't make that squad but undoubtedly will make the Olympic squad. If the Premiership season gets pushed back then the players get some early competitive action in, & are more prepared for the new season.

As for the over-23s, seems obvious that 1 will be Beckham. Hell, let him manage & captain the side. Another will definitely be Gareth Bale, as if Redknapp (or whoever he is playing under by then) will be able to stop him playing in what could be his only international tournament of his career (same goes for Ramsey & whichever Scot or N.Irish players that get called up). It's a one-time opportunity for those players if we're honest.

Same really applies for the English players actually... This is a one-off Team GB, on home soil, they'll be putting enormous pressure on their managers to make sure they can play.

gareth bale is 21 so can be included as an under 23

"gareth bale is 21 so can be included as an under 23"

Yeah included him in the wrong bit there.

Moving the start of the season? Good gracious.

Next you'll be telling me that they don't play matches at 3pm on a Saturday, have the FA Cup Final as the last game of the season and starting at 3, and that the England manager is a talented English bloke.

And who's this Rooney bloke? I've just woken up from a 20 year sleep.

» Add a new message to this topic