FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Best broadband provider??

Best broadband provider??

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I am currently with Virgin, but thinking of changing. Im 20 quid a month just for broadband. And I keep seeing better deals out there, just wondering whats the best.

I dont want a tv package or a landline just broadband.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

Plusnet

By *U1966Man  over a year ago

Devon

Orange

By *eaboMan  over a year ago

marden

i'm with orange, they do not monitor torrent downloads.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'm also with Virginmedia, the speed is ok, however remember to look at other providers download limits, as with Virgin there is no limit...or are we talking mobiles?

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

By *UNCHBOXMan  over a year ago

folkestone

Do NOT go with Orange!. I have had so many problems with them, and also know of at least 5 others who will never use them again. Google orangeproblems website and see for yourself what people think of them.

plusnet is bt under a different name.

if you live in a cabled area the only choice is virgin media.

By *hropscouple27Couple  over a year ago

Sth Staffs

O2 is award winning and supposed to be great.

I'm with BT which I've had no problem with but then again I kind of indirectly work for them and get it heavily subsidised.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

BT

I've got Virgin XXL which is 50mb. It's a bit pricey at £35 a month but, for downloads & streaming video's etc, it can't be beaten, unless you get the 100mb of course!

Ring Virgin and tell them that in the current climate you need to find ways of reducing your bills and have they any deals on at the moment. You'll almost certainly get 1/2 price line rental for 6 months if not free, assuming you have their phone of course. If you have TV with them too then you can manoevre on that too.

Thursdays is the best day to ring them and they have a weekly set of deals they can offer. They don't offer them all at the beginning of the week or they'd run out by Friday, and they want to use them all by Friday so they offer the bulk of what's left on Thursdays.

folkestone

"I am currently with Virgin, but thinking of changing. Im 20 quid a month just for broadband. And I keep seeing better deals out there, just wondering whats the best.

I dont want a tv package or a landline just broadband."

It may depend if your within a certain providers area. If your outside it, you could pay more for an access package. I would have to pay an extra £10 to get O2 and Orange broadband because i can only get the access package(i think it means O2 and Orang dont have their equipment at the local BT exchange and have to pay fees to BT to use their(BT's) equipment).

Some of the headline deals are dependent on you being in the providers coverage area - if you are not then expect to pay more. And dont expect to get the headline speed, i was promised upto 8mb, and ended up with less than 0.5 within a year because the line couldnt handle any more(they failed to mention this when i signed up though).

By *hropscouple27Couple  over a year ago

Sth Staffs

"I am currently with Virgin, but thinking of changing. Im 20 quid a month just for broadband. And I keep seeing better deals out there, just wondering whats the best.

It may depend if your within a certain providers area. If your outside it, you could pay more for an access package. I would have to pay an extra £10 to get O2 and Orange broadband because i can only get the access package(i think it means O2 and Orang dont have their equipment at the local BT exchange and have to pay fees to BT to use their(BT's) equipment).

Some of the headline deals are dependent on you being in the providers coverage area - if you are not then expect to pay more. And dont expect to get the headline speed, i was promised upto 8mb, and ended up with less than 0.5 within a year because the line couldnt handle any more(they failed to mention this when i signed up though). "

All ADSL broadband goes through BT exchanges, DSL is mainly cable companies like Virgin.

By *ouple_m_and_jCouple  over a year ago

Darlington

Don't just look at download speeds though, also look at up speeds - a 100Mb download speed is useless if your up speed is only 256kb...

Techie blurb hidden or Fi will kill me lol, but before you can download a chunk of info, your pc first has to request that chunk... if you can only send slow requests, you'll only get slow downloads.

(streaming is different though - one request should initiate a long stream)

Oops...

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"O2 is award winning and supposed to be great.

"

It is, only ever had one little hiccup with it, we rang CS and it was dealt with inside ten minutes.

It is a good price too.

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

"Orange "

i totally agree ,not for the speeds or price although they are competitive and you get the free international voip calls of course .

But as someone involved in IT security i love that pairing button on the livebox, that stops people hacking your wifi...so simple but effective

folkestone

Some of the headline deals are dependent on you being in the providers coverage area - if you are not then expect to pay more. And dont expect to get the headline speed, i was promised upto 8mb, and ended up with less than 0.5 within a year because the line couldnt handle any more(they failed to mention this when i signed up though).

All ADSL broadband goes through BT exchanges, DSL is mainly cable companies like Virgin."

Yes it does but some have put their own equipment in the exchange (LLU) and so dont incurr the extra costs renting BT equipment). If your unlucky enough to want to go with an broadband provider who hasnt got (LLU) in the local exchange your have to pay more.

By *uby In StockingsTV/TS  over a year ago

Cheadle

We've all been conned into thinking there are five different broadband companies, just like there are supposed to be five banks, five mobile phone companies, five energy suppliers and five supermarkets, bottom line is, there's nothing at all to choose between them, they all lie in the same bed as their supposed watchdogs, bah humbug, mwah, xxxxxxxxx long live the independants

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

You lucky people, having all that choice!

Here in Hull, we have Karoo, part of Kingston Communications, and whilst technologically it may be ahead of its time, it's crap!

Though they do offer bags of extras, like free local calls, they are expensive. For instance, the cheapest calls and broadband package is £33 per month.

We have no choice. You can use a dongle and access the net that way, but if you want it through a phone line, it's Karoo or nothing!

Go to www.samknows.com and search your postcode the site will tell you what broadband services are available your looking for unbundled or cable/fibre providers, the site also tells you if your exchange is due an upgrade

By *omnlynneCouple  over a year ago

milton keynes

just got bt infinity and it rocks

If ya have an orange contract phone ya can have their BB fa free (the lower speed one) or if ya wants the faster speed then its an additional £5 a month xx

I'm with Talk Talk - approx £20 a month for phone and broadband, free uk calls after 6pm usually very reliable, speeds dependant on distance from BT exchanges, british customer service ( I have so many problems understanding foreign customer services)

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

It is, only ever had one little hiccup with it, we rang CS and it was dealt with inside ten minutes.

It is a good price too."

O2 is the one ive really been looking at, I keep getting texts, since ive been a customer so long I can get the 1st 6 months free just dont know anyone with O2 broadband so didnt know what the service was like.

Im not having any problems with Virgin. I just think £20 a month just for broadband is a bit steep.

Espically when I seen plusnet for £3.50, ohhh but wait they hide the hidden tenner for 'line rental' per month.

I dont watch tv, I dont like talking on the phone all I want is my broadband.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

remember that with virgin, because it is cable, the speed you get is the one that is advertised.....

with a lot of the other providers.. because they use BT lines, the further away from an exchange you are, the slower the speed you could get... plus, the busier time that you are on, the slower the speed you will get.....

so play some factors off against others.. but as wishy said, tell them you are thinking of leaving and they will normally offer you some sort of deal to stay......

If ya have an orange contract phone ya can have their BB fa free (the lower speed one) or if ya wants the faster speed then its an additional £5 a month xx "

got to agree and they're pretty quick off the mark when something goes wrong too.......so back to work for me

Forum Mod

O o O oo

It is a good price too.

O2 is the one ive really been looking at, I keep getting texts, since ive been a customer so long I can get the 1st 6 months free just dont know anyone with O2 broadband so didnt know what the service was like.

Im not having any problems with Virgin. I just think £20 a month just for broadband is a bit steep.

Espically when I seen plusnet for £3.50, ohhh but wait they hide the hidden tenner for 'line rental' per month.

I dont watch tv, I dont like talking on the phone all I want is my broadband."

We still pay line rental to BT...but we get a good service from these for £9.50 a month ( just gone up ) but still great value. We get 8 meg for that and there is a smaller option plus bigger option ( we can't get the bigger one from our exchange)

I go by CS too, and they were brilliant when we used them the once, we had AOL before, so it was a complete opposite

No complaints from us though.

I find that fearnly tardis is excellent ,,, thats the provider i piggy back off ,, his ( or her network is not password protected ) so i get totally free connection ,,, are ( at least 3 others ) available

20 quid just for broadband only

how you manage that

thats seams to best deal yet to be honest with you.

if you change to another provider it means paying out more;

as you need a bt line that cost for installation etc.

if i was you i would stay with virgin

an as you did not say if you had a problem with them, why switch?

"plusnet is bt under a different name.

"

Most of them are BT under a different name if your local exchange hasn't got the providers own equipment in

Most of them are BT under a different name if your local exchange hasn't got the providers own equipment in "

Yup!

Most broadband providers have praise and horror stories from re_iewers. Im with BT at current who were shit upon setup but fine since they got into it.

If you have fibre optic in your area then i'd recommend getting it

please bare in mind you still need an active phone line

bt

virgin have there own

By *amschwingerzCouple  over a year ago

West

Best..plusnet...worst by a clear mile Talktalk...what a crock of shit that company is.

"

Plusnet is owned by BT, that doesn't mean it's "BT by another name" as in it's the same as!

BT, £13 a month for 'unlimited' calls and broadband.

Switched earlier this year from AOL and had no problems/issues, and 50% faster than AOL for some weird reason!

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple  over a year ago

Lisburn

for around £40 a month we have sky tv no movies or sport, landline and internet

Shop round but also look at re_iews on service. The cheapest isn't always the best.

» Add a new message to this topic