FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > PTSD

PTSD

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *eardedSilverFox OP   Man  over a year ago

Colchester

I hate this time of year, it's bad memories coming back to me. I have hidden away in my bedroom all day today with nobody to speak to. It will soon be 28 years since the Lockerbie disaster and its as fresh in my mind as if it were yesterday. Sometimes this struggle gets me down so much I just feel like I don't want to be hear anymore. I push it out one day at a time.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

May I ask why that affects you so much

Hugs xxx

Ring the samaritans.

By *uxom redCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

Hugs..

Never be afraid to ask for help.

By *orkie321bWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

"May I ask why that affects you so much "

If you look at the gentleman's profile you will see he is a Scotsman - perhaps he was there or had loved ones who were.

OP you don't need to suffer in silence. PTSD is very real and can be very debilitating. Can you speak to your GP about getting some counselling? I'm sure there will be online support forums and you can reach out to the Samaritans if you feel you are in need of immediate assistance and support.

(((Hugs)))

December 21st 1988

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

"May I ask why that affects you so much

If you look at the gentleman's profile you will see he is a Scotsman - perhaps he was there or had loved ones who were.

OP you don't need to suffer in silence. PTSD is very real and can be very debilitating. Can you speak to your GP about getting some counselling? I'm sure there will be online support forums and you can reach out to the Samaritans if you feel you are in need of immediate assistance and support.

(((Hugs)))"

I assume he was there as it's PTSD otherwise it would be grief

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

"I push it out one day at a time. "

Sometimes that's all one can do, until it gets better again. Were you never given counselling at the time or since?

The Samaritans are very good, and your GP can help with more long-term solutions.

Stay strong.

Mr ddc

By *ecretlyASoftieWoman  over a year ago

Hull but travel regularly

Sorry to hear this OP. Have you tried something like EMDR for PTSD? It helped me enormously when nothing else could. Big hugs x

Colchester

"May I ask why that affects you so much "

My regiment deployed into Lockerbie and the surrounding hills the day after Pan Am flight 203 was taken down. We were doing the recovery of wreckage and removal of deceased.

My regiment deployed into Lockerbie and the surrounding hills the day after Pan Am flight 203 was taken down. We were doing the recovery of wreckage and removal of deceased. "

That must have left you with some dreadful memories......

Colchester

"I push it out one day at a time.

Sometimes that's all one can do, until it gets better again. Were you never given counselling at the time or since?

The Samaritans are very good, and your GP can help with more long-term solutions.

Stay strong.

Mr ddc"

None of us were offered anything after Lockerbie we just cracked on so to speak.

By *adyDangerWoman  over a year ago

land of debauchery and kink

My regiment deployed into Lockerbie and the surrounding hills the day after Pan Am flight 203 was taken down. We were doing the recovery of wreckage and removal of deceased. "

m

Hope your ok OP, I'd speak to your dr about having some CBT sessions. X

Stay strong.

Mr ddc

None of us were offered anything after Lockerbie we just cracked on so to speak. "

But you're being given good advice now. Speak to someone, even a stranger.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

Greatest respect to you. Please get some help for this. Hugs.

By *ildt123Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield

Stay strong.

Mr ddc

None of us were offered anything after Lockerbie we just cracked on so to speak. "

I think ptsd was a sign if weakness then in armed forces, if you said you were affected you were weak. I think they know better now but progress is slow.

Understand it's not weakness or anything to feel bad for such events effect everyone differently it just is what it is. Mr Ddc is as ever on the money, seek professional assistance, see your GP but be utterly open and honest ask for a referral to psychological services whether that's cbt or whatever you and then will need to work out, just don't struggle on alone bottling it up like soldiers think they have to.

Good luck

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

Stay strong.

Mr ddc

That was so often the case back then.

Are you still in contact with your regiment? They should have people specifically trained for this nowadays. There are also many good forces charities that can help.

By *orkie321bWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

OP I just found something online that may be helpful for you.

Have a look at combatstress dot org dot uk. It is a charity specifically for ex service personnel who need help and support with things like PTSD. They have a 24hr helpline, 0800 138 1619.

They are there to help people just like you, please reach out to them xxx

By *isaB45Woman  over a year ago

Fabville

270 people died, but there were many more victims left alive.

I can do little more than offer you a hug, and echo what everyone else has already said xx

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Stay strong.

Mr ddc

not uncommon in those times across the armed forces and emergency services, quite often the issue's were chatted about after with a cup of tea round the mess table so to speak..

not the best but it was something..

fella, its not an issue that you have these feelings and its at least something that you have put it down in writing which is a start..

there are as others have said really good organisations who are there, making use of them will help..

best wishes..

Colchester

"OP I just found something online that may be helpful for you.

Have a look at combatstress dot org dot uk. It is a charity specifically for ex service personnel who need help and support with things like PTSD. They have a 24hr helpline, 0800 138 1619.

They are there to help people just like you, please reach out to them xxx"

Thank you Yorkie for taking all that trouble to research the Combat Stress details. I have already been down that route. I was there on a 6 week CBT residential course last year. I lasted just over 4 weeks. My PTSD is very complicated and has been described as being like an onion......loads of layers. At first I blamed Lockerbie but that was just the start of it. I have issues as you know from what I saw in the aftermath of Pan Am 203 but also years later from Kosovo, Belfast, Londonderry, Iraq......

i have this too. i did a lot of research via lifestyle coaches from the end of 2015 and it's got better this past year but not gone.

not sure how the health service is in scotland but here you can refer yourself to the mental health team now, just call them and tell them what you think is wrong with you and they can tell you what help they can offer. not sure what other help there is apart from this. you go via your GP, he will give you the number.

When you say you weren't offered anything do you mean as in someone to talk to about it

By *aucy tiggerWoman  over a year ago

Back where I belong

Hugs and take the advice offered above xx

Colchester

"When you say you weren't offered anything do you mean as in someone to talk to about it "

Yes exactly that, it was like it never happened. We had all been called back from leave, it was all the married soldiers who went because we were the easiest to get hold of at short notice.

We went, we did the job, then carried on with leave.

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

Man hugs

Colchester

Stay strong.

Mr ddc

None of us were offered anything after Lockerbie we just cracked on so to speak.

That was so often the case back then.

Are you still in contact with your regiment? They should have people specifically trained for this nowadays. There are also many good forces charities that can help. "

You never get anything in the way of help from the MOD! The only help out there for veterans is sadly from charities. I have already been with Combat Stress. I didn't manage to complete the treatment.

'layered' PTSD is now called complex PTSD so if you find someone who knows what that is then it'd be a good start too i reckon.

good luck.

There's no getting over that. Fair play been strong enough to get to today. Just stay strong. Be positive and remember you did good that day. Learning to cope is the hardest thing to do. When it gets you down do something positive. Even a walk listening to good music like the Beatles or Bob Marley

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

what an awful but brave job you had to do

Colchester

"what an awful but brave job you had to do "

Not helped now by thinking back with thoughts of what a total waste of time and lives it all was. Everything with the exception of Kosovo was a waste!

chelmsford

"what an awful but brave job you had to do

Not helped now by thinking back with thoughts of what a total waste of time and lives it all was. Everything with the exception of Kosovo was a waste! "

Hey c'mon chin up and think of all the good you have done as well

"what an awful but brave job you had to do

Not helped now by thinking back with thoughts of what a total waste of time and lives it all was. Everything with the exception of Kosovo was a waste!

Hey c'mon chin up and think of all the good you have done as well "

Couldn't agree more

By *dam and slutCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

Drop the D. .people suffer post traumatic stress. .you are not a disorder.

chelmsford

"Drop the D. .people suffer post traumatic stress. .you are not a disorder. "

Well said

» Add a new message to this topic