FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Pretend coppers....

Pretend coppers....

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Not sure of their correct title ?

I have not noticed any benefits to these community coppers.

Yet when first suggested they were going to make a massive difference to everyone.

Their powers are very little and the only ones i see are sat on buses going god knows where. ?

I see none walking the streets , even now the kids are off school.

I do find in some cases its money down the drain and would be better going towards the cost of real coppers.

whats your view ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Not really sure what you mean Peaches... if you're talking about Special Constables then they are voluntary and not paid employees.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

are ya talking about the community bobbies hun cos the ones around ere just walk up and down street checking cars out lol

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Yup

commnity bobbies but not bobbies so they shouldnt have that title.

They maybe voluntary but get a hell of a lot of perks. free travel. uniforms (which ours have changed 3 times in one year)

I just find it a waste of public money. they have to go for training etc But most of the ones i have seen couldnt run after a bus let alone anyone doing owt wrong.

coffee shop police i call them. always in the local cafe sat on their fat arses gossiping.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

special constables dont get paid but community police officers do.

They do the same patrolling here as normal beat bobby here. Very low crime rate where i live, in fact the police station closes at 8pm

in my area they patrol the community establishing relationships with the young scally's....lol. They are, in my opinion, an extra pair of eyes who can flag up issues of concern to the "real" bobbies. such is life with cut backs everywhere and the amount of red tape/paperwork etc in being a modern day pc then someone has to patrol.........on the other hand if everyone just behaved themselves and refrained from committing any crimes then we would have mountains of cash to spend elsewhere

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

"in my area they patrol the community establishing relationships with the young scally's....lol. They are, in my opinion, an extra pair of eyes who can flag up issues of concern to the "real" bobbies. such is life with cut backs everywhere and the amount of red tape/paperwork etc in being a modern day pc then someone has to patrol.........on the other hand if everyone just behaved themselves and refrained from committing any crimes then we would have mountains of cash to spend elsewhere "

Couldnt agree more

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

waste of money, end of.

£25k ish pa in London for these guys, at a time when 'proper' old bill are being laid off.

would rather bin the lot and employ people who will at least have powers of arrest.

my opinion of course but if you ask a 'warranted officer' in private what they actually think then the answer will be rather more forthright.

think they are

Police community support officers

waste of money I think, better putting another real police officer on the streets but just my humble opinion

Do you mean PCSOs (Police Comunity Support Officers). If so, I have seen lots (both where I used to live and also where I live now) and yeah, they don't have powers of arest, but they have radios, good fitness levels (to chase when on foot) their evidence is admisable in court at the same level as a normal copper, they are cheaper than coppers and their role was introduced as a stepping stone to promote them to 'full' officers and so both increace the staff levels of the police and to give a bigger recruitment pool.

All around I think they are a good and valuable part of the Police service and a creditable inovation............

"in my area they patrol the community establishing relationships with the young scally's....lol. They are, in my opinion, an extra pair of eyes who can flag up issues of concern to the "real" bobbies. such is life with cut backs everywhere and the amount of red tape/paperwork etc in being a modern day pc then someone has to patrol.........on the other hand if everyone just behaved themselves and refrained from committing any crimes then we would have mountains of cash to spend elsewhere

Couldnt agree more"

Hear hear

"Do you mean PCSOs (Police Comunity Support Officers). If so, I have seen lots (both where I used to live and also where I live now) and yeah, they don't have powers of arest, but they have radios, good fitness levels (to chase when on foot) their evidence is admisable in court at the same level as a normal copper, they are cheaper than coppers and their role was introduced as a stepping stone to promote them to 'full' officers and so both increace the staff levels of the police and to give a bigger recruitment pool.

All around I think they are a good and valuable part of the Police service and a creditable inovation............"

Are you one??

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

they were mainly brought in to make it look like there are lots of Police on our streets, but without the required training.

as for them being fit etc that just is not the case, in certain parts of the capital they have been chosen for their ethnicity which i can agree with as it encourages people from different groups to have a bit more confidence etc

as i said ask a warranted officer what they think, not some 'chipped' one of senior rank.

one who is on the streets.

By *rystalsCouple  over a year ago

swansea

u guys are on about the commuity supprt officers they got no powers but are the eyes and ears of the police forcespecial constable maybe volunateers but they are real police officers with all the powers of arrest like regular police oficers community bobbies are actually police officers

No I am not a PCSO, I am just an interested bystander.........

Amd 'the capital' is not the only place in the country. Hardly suprising that there are a lot of ethnic minorities in such a diverse city as London, or would we rather have an all white police force and have all the problems which that would cause?

By *im and whoreCouple  over a year ago

near bangor

I for one have had more help and intelligent thinking off psco s in recent times than off any so called proper copper.

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Expensive smoke and mirrors exersise by the last government, but cheaper than doing the job right and training bobbies.

By *amschwingerzCouple  over a year ago

West

Commonly know as 'hobby bobbies' or 'plastic policemen'

Im sure they just do it for the uniform!

By *riendly foeWoman  over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

never seen them round here...

We only get the real ones.....LOL

Our son is a PCSO in the British Transport Police. They have slightly more powers than the Met PCSO's and the training is quite intensive.A few of my family are coppers. My brother is a Chief Inspector and a couple of close relatives are Sergeants. My brother won the Queen's Award for Bravery,something our son would love to have even the chance to do. Our son wants to be a policeman,he's a good sensible kid but its nigh on impossible to get in to the Met a the moment. Being a white English heterosexual male doesn't seem to be helping his case either.He recently got a commendation for giving a man who had a had a heart attack CPR for 15 minutes whilst everyone else at London Bridge Station just stepped over him.The man later died,it's not just another job for our son,he cried his eyes out when he was told. He likes his job but the lack of opportunities to get into The Police proper and the public attitude towards what he does means that after the Olympics he's probably gonna pack it in.

So before people make sweeping statements perhaps they should remember that some of them do actually want to try to provide a service and actually make a difference. The next time the tube gets bombed in London are you going down the tunnel?

Plastic Coppers, Salaried Only...

Some are very good and make a valuable contribution.

But some cause more trouble than they're worth, meaning a copper has to clear up after them when a quiet word would have done the job. I seem to remember that their overtime system made them more expensive in the long run than coppers.

[Removed by poster at 19/04/11 18:46:20]

Had occassion to have had their assistance and my view is they that they have been helpful, certainly not a waste of money - the police around here are busy stopping motorists speeding in school areas, etc.,

I think PCSO's are a good idea, they are not police officer, but they are visible in the community and do a great job in tackling anti social behaviour. They are paid and not voluntary, and of course they are on a lesser salary than a police office because its an entirely different role and they do not have the level of responsibility given to police officers either. Its a good starting point if you want to join the Police Force (though unfortunately not in present times).

For all those moaning about it being a waste of money then your annoyance is misplaced against these individuals who are doing a worthwhile job, it would be better levelled at the criminals and youngsters who have been brought up into a life of crime - those are the ones that are costing you your tax payers money.

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Around my bit of the country they seem to spend most of their time paired up with a proper copper which to me seems to defeat the object of them being there in the first place.

"Around my bit of the country they seem to spend most of their time paired up with a proper copper which to me seems to defeat the object of them being there in the first place."

Total waste of time if you ask me.

» Add a new message to this topic