FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Bank Holiday traffic

Bank Holiday traffic

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *etillante OP   Woman  over a year ago

Going down to Devon over the Bank holiday weekend and just looking at routes.

It will take over 5 hours to get down using M6 and M5 etc and is roughly 300 miles. So for a change I thought I would see the diffrence by not using motorway. It is roughly the same mileage but will take 9 hours.

So my dilemma is. do I leave at lunchtime and risk getting stucking on the motorway for hours going nowhere

Or leave earlier and know it is going to take me 9 hours and enjoy the wonderful countryside.

If you had the choice what would you do. And staying home is not an option

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If our experiences of driving to Devon are anything to go by you WILL hit jams on the m4 and m5 and probably both..we pootle down now with a few stops at village pubs. takes longer but its much nicer

"If our experiences of driving to Devon are anything to go by you WILL hit jams on the m4 and m5 and probably both..we pootle down now with a few stops at village pubs. takes longer but its much nicer "

Sorry I should have said this is for the retun journey, we are setting off at stupid o'clock to get down

By *uckscouple2007Couple  over a year ago

Bucks

"

Sorry I should have said this is for the retun journey, we are setting off at stupid o'clock to get down"

can you not set off at stupid o'clock on the way back too to avoid the jams?

"

Sorry I should have said this is for the retun journey, we are setting off at stupid o'clock to get down

can you not set off at stupid o'clock on the way back too to avoid the jams?"

Don't think the hotel would do breakfast at 3am

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

We drove down last year and hit a couple of Jams on the motorways anyway. We were on no rush so we just got off the motorway and had a pub lunch etc.

Saying that, your queues might be a bit bigger next weekend than when we went, so I suppose it depends on how ratty you get in traffic?

If you get too ratty, leave at silly hours of the morning and you might sail through....but I couldn't do the nine hours even if it is along nice sceneary...so it would be motorways for us.

The traffic was pretty bad here for a while. But then I stuck tommy tractor and little tykes car back in the shed .....

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

oh, strike that post , it is coming back you mean lol

You could always miss breakfast and start early, then stop half way up.

By *uckscouple2007Couple  over a year ago

Bucks

"The traffic was pretty bad here for a while. But then I stuck tommy tractor and little tykes car back in the shed .....

"

spoil sport

I actually enjoy driving I may come back A roads as far as the midlands and then get stuck on the M6 lol

Expect traffic jams wherever you go, and start your journey as early as possible.

I shall be camping over both bank holiday weekends.

For the first one, it is only 1h away from work, and I shall leave work at 15:30h on Thu 21 Apr and stay an extra night instead of travelling down on Fri morning.

I dread the return journey on Easter Mon though. Hopefully it will be ok as I shall be leaving the campsite shortly after mid-day.

For the second trip, I'll start my way up to Norfolk on Wed 27 Apr, stopping en-route at a friend's, before continuing the journey the next morning.

I shan't return home until Tue 03 May, hopefully, I'll avoid the traffic by leaving a day after the bank holiday Monday.

By *ue care and attentionWoman  over a year ago

birmingham

We found having a full last day and packing up, going for an evening mean then heading back about 9-10pm. Kids slept all the way home and even though we were late getting back, we woke up in our own beds the next day. Motorways are much better at night.

» Add a new message to this topic