FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > (TECHY) Web Design

(TECHY) Web Design

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ominantPerv85 OP   Man  over a year ago

Maidstone

Hi all,

I am having problems designing and developing my website. Originally it was built using just HTML, then I tried using BlueVoda, now I'm working with MS Publisher 2007, but my site still is not right. I can't get the contact form to work, and I can't change the raw HTML in MS Pub.

I am still very new to web designing, and I have choosen to do it myself rather than employing someone for a) control, b) satisfication. I am still confused by Java, PHP, MySQL, ASP, XML, CSS, Flash, ActiveX

So, the question for anyone who knows about this sort of stuff are as follows :

1 - Are there any good (free) forums dedicated to this sort of thing? Problem with googling it is that it comes up with hundreds.

2 - What sort of program do I need? WYSIWYG? HTML editor?

3 - Is there a website that just talks through the more advanced basics of website? (sounds really contradictory that)

Any help would be really appreciated, as I am starting to tear out some of my long hair!!!

Thanks

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Ehhh kinda hard to respond in a forum really

and eh more time and detail than a forum post i want 20 bucks an hour or beeeeeer

but

google is a great pal and its gonna get freakishly better in a few years

but try n narrow your search to a prob first

like contact from not working cannot change html in ms pub

and wooosh hundreds yes pages but start trawling

as you trawl youll find a huge amount of decent forums that take 2 mins to register too - save them all in one group of favs

website design programmes are amazingly good and also easy but shitty basic - depends totally what you need want etc

again just through googling n trawling and googling more youll learn more info specific to your needs

theres not really a website thats gonna talk you through advanced topics as why would you when you can make money off that side of it

but again as you trawl google youll find a lot of good help communities

overall depends what you are after what you need and you need to start in a muddle and gradually find things that help - very boring very slow but does get quicker

if you want joe bloggs webby site then go it alone - but if your intent is business aimed and you want to handle traffic then really seek semi pro help

firstly for security as botnets and DOS work love webbies and domains that are newborns

and in terms of who your domain hosters are and exactly what can happen if you do get traffic big time - especially if they have your account info and will simply BILL! you big time if you manage to go over bandwidth and hits levels etc

essentially a base builder like ms should let you build a decent frame and setup - then as you get more info specific to needs you can mix in active x flash java etc

but good luck its all about boredom and trawling to begin with

Maidstone

Thanks for the response. As I thought, there's no quick fix sucks.

Guess I will just have to start going through bits one by one and ticking them off

The fun and games of it all lol

Cheers anyways

By *-and-KCouple  over a year ago

Back of Beyond

What I would add here is the days of having to 'compile' your own HTML are long gone, but knowing how it works helps you greatly.

There are so many resources available for free now its taken the fun out of it all.

Our last site I did it by downloading one of the many free HTML templates, there are quite literally 10s of thousands to be had. Get a template you like and then change it around to suit you using your HTML knowledge.

To make it even more in your face, there are also loads of free javascripts to be had as well, find one you like and just cut and paste into your template code. Same with active X, although a lot of active x scripts will be blocked or have to be given permission to run in newer browsers.

I think you mentioned about using ssl's? that is only ever going to work if your webspace provider offers the facility in the 1st place.

But good luck.

I don't think MS publisher is meant for web site construction? You maybe be better using MS Frontpage? (beware of Frontpage as some of its workings means that you have to find a web host that supports Front page extensions!) if you want to stick with Microsoft?

Dreamwever now owned by Adobe is what most pros' use, but is pricey!

Most packages give you view options so that you can choose between WYSIWYG and HTML views.

Try checking out some magazines and books at the library and work out what you want to achieve? Is it just a personal web site or your business one?

Maidstone

Thanks for the responses all.

My HTML knowledge is only basic, so I don't know if I would be able to manipulate templates too well.

I had thought about Frontpage, but I thought it was outdated? I was looking at the Dreamweaver and their other packages, but they are soo expensive, I just don't have the money for that.

It is going to be a business website, and when the business grows, I will have to pay to get it done exactly to how I want it, as that is far beyond my knowledge.

I think I have a good host, and I am looking into their freesite builder at the minute so I can get something half decent up without too much fuss and then concerntrate on getting some work in

Think they have given Frontpage a face lift, maybe your best option or the hosts web site builder software may do enough for what you want?

Dreamwever could be a bit heavy going for you?

Question is, is it a web site advertising/publicising your services and a contact page or a web store were your customers can buy your products?

Maidstone

Yeah, for now its just where potential clients can get information and a contact page, which the hosts software seems to be able to do.

However, at some stage, I am going to want a client login area where they can download files, and possible pay invoices or book service calls etc.

I would keep it simple then and use the web hosts software and just make a simple static web site, I would say keep it simple with an eye on quality content first and let your business develop before jumping in and offering lots of on line services to your customers.

From the services your wanting to provide you will need a lot of back end database and file servers

Lots of techy stuff to work out linking all this together would you be better getting someone to sort this all out while you run the business?

» Add a new message to this topic