FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Milage increase in the Budget.

Milage increase in the Budget.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *erekduvall OP   Couple  over a year ago

swansea

5p increase per mile seems to have had an affect on our MPs. Reports that the claims have increased in the last few weeks dramatically1 not only in £ terms but by the number of MPs now travelling by car rather than train!

Nothing changes huh?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *b430Man  over a year ago

Tayside

The 5p increase only came in on Wednesday, so if the reports are true, then it will have nothing to do with now getting 45p a mile instead of the previous 40p.

It barely covers the cost for the fuel you use and the wear and tear on your own vehicle. It's a cheap way of Local & Central Government providing the essential vehicles people need to do their jobs to provide the services to the public!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think 45p per mile is quite good given that a medium sized modern vehicle averages around 35mpg. Works out between 17p and 20p per mile ish. This doesn't take into account wear and tear etc but still not bad.

Tayside

"I think 45p per mile is quite good given that a medium sized modern vehicle averages around 35mpg. Works out between 17p and 20p per mile ish. This doesn't take into account wear and tear etc but still not bad."

Or the extra insurance either!

Tayside

Oh - I forgot to add that your employer also claws back the VAT that YOU have paid and keeps it for themselves!

"Oh - I forgot to add that your employer also claws back the VAT that YOU have paid and keeps it for themselves! "

That doesn't just apply to mileage allowances though, does it.

If you incur expenses on your employer's behalf and they reimburse you - they have essentially made that payment are entitled to treat the VAT exactly as they would had they physically made the payment in the first place.

Mileage expenses claims do affect your tax code though depending on how the mileage was accrued.

"Mileage expenses claims do affect your tax code though depending on how the mileage was accrued. "

And HMRC will make occasional checks in an attempt to ensure any given vehicle was actually used for the journey in question.

swansea

"The 5p increase only came in on Wednesday, so if the reports are true, then it will have nothing to do with now getting 45p a mile instead of the previous 40p.

It barely covers the cost for the fuel you use and the wear and tear on your own vehicle. It's a cheap way of Local & Central Government providing the essential vehicles people need to do their jobs to provide the services to the public! "

10,000 miles a year average =£4,500 allowance, my car cost me £1500 2 yrs ago, repairs £0 averages 40mpg, pretty good earner in my opinion!

Tayside

"The 5p increase only came in on Wednesday, so if the reports are true, then it will have nothing to do with now getting 45p a mile instead of the previous 40p.

It barely covers the cost for the fuel you use and the wear and tear on your own vehicle. It's a cheap way of Local & Central Government providing the essential vehicles people need to do their jobs to provide the services to the public!

10,000 miles a year average =£4,500 allowance, my car cost me £1500 2 yrs ago, repairs £0 averages 40mpg, pretty good earner in my opinion! "

10,000 a year average!

If you are at that level of miles then (here anyway) you do get a leased car and not the same mileage rates so your sums wont add up I'm afraid

I take it your car has never needed tyres then, for example? And I won't go into detail of how much the cost of fuel has risen, as most will know that themselves anyway.

Oh, don't forget you need to provide the extra insurance for using your personal vehicle for business use!

NOT a nice little earner at all.

I was actually making the point that you were wrong to say the 5p increase led to more MP's claiming more over the last few weeks seeing as the increase only came in on Wednesday past. But who am I to say your initial rant was false!

Tayside

ooppss - meant to add that you don't get paid for using the car away from work and seeing as my average miles over the last 5 years has been under 8,000 (personal and business use) I'm no where near your total.

It would be great if my employer did give me 45p a mile to travel to my swinging meets though

I don't get a lease car and I'm up around the 12,000 miles p.a. mark. I get mileage and a payment of approx £1,000 p.a. for insurance which doesn't quite cover it. My vehicle is two years old and is in good nick obviously. No maintenance costs as yet. The figures I quoted above allowed for petrol at £1.30 per litre [approx £5.85 per gallon] i.e. todays prices and an average performance of 35mpg. This is roughly £2006 p.a. on petrol. 12,000 miles @ 45p per mile = £5,400 which equals £3,394 for maintenance [tyres, service etc] and to top up any insurance shortfall. All in all not bad.

swansea

"

If you are at that level of miles then (here anyway) you do get a leased car and not the same mileage rates so your sums wont add up I'm afraid

I take it your car has never needed tyres then, for example?

I "

i f i was making £4500, wouldnt bother with tyres, just change the car.

» Add a new message to this topic