FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Grand National weekend

Grand National weekend

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

any tips for this what this to be, the most famous horse jumping event in the world

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I might put a bet on tomorrow as i wont be here. Not looked at the runners yet though

[Removed by poster at 06/04/11 20:52:41]

"I might put a bet on tomorrow as i wont be here. Not looked at the runners yet though"
nor have i lol

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I will put £2 each way on becauseicouldntseeit

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Assparagas !

"Assparagas ! "

BOTASS!!!

"Assparagas !

BOTASS!!!"

Thats my each way

[Removed by poster at 06/04/11 21:40:59]

[Removed by poster at 06/04/11 21:46:34]

Runners and riders not confirmed until tomorrow. Sixty five declared only 40 will run with four substitutes on stand by.

There are no horses younger than 7 y/o and none older than 13 y/o.

Nine year olds have the best success rate winning 45 out 163. In the past 20 years, there have been 15 bay or brown winners, and five chestnuts. During that time 62 bays have finished in the first four, 13 chestnuts and five greys.

Six amateur jockeys have a seat on Saturday. They are;

Mr Robbie McNamara on Majestic Concorde

Mr Patrick Mullins on Dooneys Gate

Mr Ryan Mahon on The Tother One

Mr Sam Waley-Cohen on Oscar Time

Miss Nina Carberry on Character Building

Ms Katie Walsh on Our Monty

Out of these the top rated are Ryan Mahon and Sam Waley Cohen who both have good rides.

The ante post favourites are;

9/1 The Midnight Club, 11/1 Backstage, What A Friend, 12/1 Silver By Nature, Oscar Time, 14/1 Ballabriggs, Big Fella Thanks, Don’t Push It, 16/1 Arbor Supreme, Niche Market.

Big money going on Silver By Nature in from 16/1 to 12/1.

Top weight is 'Don't Push It'. The going has changed today from Good to Soft to Good to Soft/Good in Places. Weather forecast means that the going may well change to Good or faster by Saturday.

There you go. If all that fails. Get the lucky pin out or pick a nice colour.

Good luck.

Well my monastic friend.... I can safely assume you're a one for the horsies... I've been observing you....

v- neck its a good jumper

"v- neck its a good jumper"

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

"Assparagas !

BOTASS!!!

Thats my each way "

I thought you were going for My Stalker....

"Assparagas !

BOTASS!!!

Thats my each way

I thought you were going for My Stalker...."

I backed of fom that and BOBFOC

"Well my monastic friend.... I can safely assume you're a one for the horsies... I've been observing you...."

Naaah. Copied and pasted from the Aintree website lol. I do like the odd flutter but only modest amounts and only on the big ones. Cheltenham Gold Cup, Grand National etc. Prefer the jumps to the flat and I enjoy the social side of going to Aintree/Cheltenham more than the racing to be honest

"Well my monastic friend.... I can safely assume you're a one for the horsies... I've been observing you....

Naaah. Copied and pasted from the Aintree website lol. I do like the odd flutter but only modest amounts and only on the big ones. Cheltenham Gold Cup, Grand National etc. Prefer the jumps to the flat and I enjoy the social side of going to Aintree/Cheltenham more than the racing to be honest "

Gosforth Ladies Day has turned into 'How To Be Inventive To Smuggle In Alcohol Day' it was hilarious this year everyone who failed the search (even the hollowed out baguettes) stood on the green outside necking it down in one.... madness!!! Part of the fun is paying 20 quid a glass for warm champagne isnt it?

I hate the Grand National its soooo cruel it should be stopped imo

I hate the Grand National its soooo cruel it should be stopped imo

Cant make the horses run, if they dont wanna do it, they wont.

Some horses like redrum loved it

its not that they just have to many horses and they run young horses against older more experienced horses the jumps are to high and not all of them make it to the end like I said jmo

Young horses love the chase and they learn and become experienced themselves. Honestly, thoroughbred racing horses live the life of riley and are really pampered and cared for. I know it can look cruel but they really enjoy racing. Horses are stubborn as hell and if they wanted to play up they would.

I used to work as a nanny for Francis Lee whos a race horse trainer and I went to Chester races with one of the jokeys once as my family lived there and i had a few days off, I went in with the jokey to watch and the horse he was riding broke its leg and was shot on the course because it was no good to them any more wouldnt make them money broke my heart the leg could of been fixed and the horse could of gone to a new home

"I hate the Grand National its soooo cruel it should be stopped imo "
not been cruel to me whan i won the last 2 years lol

"I hate the Grand National its soooo cruel it should be stopped imo not been cruel to me whan i won the last 2 years lol

"

See its all about money

Thats the way it is im afraid.

I know it seems cruel but believe me , that race horse wouldnt have probably fared well just stuck in a field etc .

They live to race.

"I used to work as a nanny for Francis Lee whos a race horse trainer and I went to Chester races with one of the jokeys once as my family lived there and i had a few days off, I went in with the jokey to watch and the horse he was riding broke its leg and was shot on the course because it was no good to them any more wouldnt make them money broke my heart the leg could of been fixed and the horse could of gone to a new home "

I know where your coming from it is heartbreaking but a broken leg is a major injury for a horse and rarely can be fixed , not just racehorses . The sadder reality is the more uncaring or unscrupulous owners sell them for meat if not good enough to race or breed , racehorses are also often difficult to rehome other than retiring as they are not for the faint hearted to ride or to potter about on or hack out , but they race and run simply because they do love it , and simple they are !

Even greyhounds get short thrift if they cant run anymore and their end is more cruel than a racehorse

"Thats the way it is im afraid.

I know it seems cruel but believe me , that race horse wouldnt have probably fared well just stuck in a field etc .

They live to race. "

My first job i ever had when i was 16 was at a riding school where i used to look after a ex race horse and he had the life of riley spoilt rotten by everyone and used to love chasing around with the ponies in the fields lol

"Even greyhounds get short thrift if they cant run anymore and their end is more cruel than a racehorse "

oh dont get me started on the greyhound lot

"I used to work as a nanny for Francis Lee whos a race horse trainer and I went to Chester races with one of the jokeys once as my family lived there and i had a few days off, I went in with the jokey to watch and the horse he was riding broke its leg and was shot on the course because it was no good to them any more wouldnt make them money broke my heart the leg could of been fixed and the horse could of gone to a new home

I know where your coming from it is heartbreaking but a broken leg is a major injury for a horse and rarely can be fixed , not just racehorses . The sadder reality is the more uncaring or unscrupulous owners sell them for meat if not good enough to race or breed , racehorses are also often difficult to rehome other than retiring as they are not for the faint hearted to ride or to potter about on or hack out , but they race and run simply because they do love it , and simple they are ! "

I dont really know that much about horse racing and the horses guess Im just a big softy lol

"its not that they just have to many horses and they run young horses against older more experienced horses the jumps are to high and not all of them make it to the end like I said jmo "

Hi Lady Ruby. The height of the fences on take off and landing sides have been amended in consultation with the RSPCA. The fences are less rigid - spruce is used in most of them. The field has been reduced to 40 for safety reasons and the horses must meet certain criteria before they are allowed to be entered. No horse under six years old can race. The course has first class veterinary facilities which helped to save the lives of at least six horse in the last few years - probably more - and Liverpool University is the UK centre of excellence for veterinary studies and is home to a state of the art equine hospital.

Despite all this, unfortunately some horses still die during or immediately after the race but these numbers are reducing every year.

However, these magnificent animals are bred purely to race. It is what they do and they love doing it. You only have to hear jockeys, trainers, stable lads/girls talking about their horse to appreciate how much the horses are loved and cared for.

But I do take your point and it is extremely upsetting when one of these noble beasts jumps its last fence.

Tis true.

Its a much safer race now than its ever been

"I used to work as a nanny for Francis Lee whos a race horse trainer and I went to Chester races with one of the jokeys once as my family lived there and i had a few days off, I went in with the jokey to watch and the horse he was riding broke its leg and was shot on the course because it was no good to them any more wouldnt make them money broke my heart the leg could of been fixed and the horse could of gone to a new home

I know where your coming from it is heartbreaking but a broken leg is a major injury for a horse and rarely can be fixed , not just racehorses . The sadder reality is the more uncaring or unscrupulous owners sell them for meat if not good enough to race or breed , racehorses are also often difficult to rehome other than retiring as they are not for the faint hearted to ride or to potter about on or hack out , but they race and run simply because they do love it , and simple they are !

I dont really know that much about horse racing and the horses guess Im just a big softy lol "

Me too , ive learnt a bit by slightly grudging association lol , i've owned a few over the years , mainly showjumpers and novice eventers . Not that ive ridden them , sod that ! I just had the dubious honour of paying for and sponsoring them lol

"its not that they just have to many horses and they run young horses against older more experienced horses the jumps are to high and not all of them make it to the end like I said jmo

Hi Lady Ruby. The height of the fences on take off and landing sides have been amended in consultation with the RSPCA. The fences are less rigid - spruce is used in most of them. The field has been reduced to 40 for safety reasons and the horses must meet certain criteria before they are allowed to be entered. No horse under six years old can race. The course has first class veterinary facilities which helped to save the lives of at least six horse in the last few years - probably more - and Liverpool University is the UK centre of excellence for veterinary studies and is home to a state of the art equine hospital.

Despite all this, unfortunately some horses still die during or immediately after the race but these numbers are reducing every year.

However, these magnificent animals are bred purely to race. It is what they do and they love doing it. You only have to hear jockeys, trainers, stable lads/girls talking about their horse to appreciate how much the horses are loved and cared for.

But I do take your point and it is extremely upsetting when one of these noble beasts jumps its last fence. "

Agh ok maybe im out of date wasnt aware that things had changed, I just go with what ive read/heard in the past I guess your not wrong about them being magnificent animals either Did anyone watch that programme all about horses by Martin Cloones ? it moved me to tears

I know where your coming from it is heartbreaking but a broken leg is a major injury for a horse and rarely can be fixed , not just racehorses . The sadder reality is the more uncaring or unscrupulous owners sell them for meat if not good enough to race or breed , racehorses are also often difficult to rehome other than retiring as they are not for the faint hearted to ride or to potter about on or hack out , but they race and run simply because they do love it , and simple they are ! "

The British Horse Racing Authority now have several successful schemes for selling, re-training and re-locating retired/injured race horses. They also assess potential new owners i.e. those from outside the racing community to make sure that they have the facilities, ability and competence to handle the horse. It is getting better all the time.

Racehorses are better treated than many oaps ya know

"Racehorses are better treated than many oaps ya know "

lol and so they should be as mentioned they are magnificent beast tbh I treat my dog better than my hubby haha

The British Horse Racing Authority now have several successful schemes for selling, re-training and re-locating retired/injured race horses. They also assess potential new owners i.e. those from outside the racing community to make sure that they have the facilities, ability and competence to handle the horse. It is getting better all the time."

Are you a racehorse trainer or a vet ?? lol

"its not that they just have to many horses and they run young horses against older more experienced horses the jumps are to high and not all of them make it to the end like I said jmo

But I do take your point and it is extremely upsetting when one of these noble beasts jumps its last fence.

Agh ok maybe im out of date wasnt aware that things had changed, I just go with what ive read/heard in the past I guess your not wrong about them being magnificent animals either Did anyone watch that programme all about horses by Martin Cloones ? it moved me to tears "

Hi Lady Ruby. Your concerns and your opinion is valid. There is still a long way to go. The facilities at the big courses and for the Blue Riband races are superb but it may not be the case at all courses. Websites such as animalaid reckon around 350 racehorses die each year with 38 per cent of these [approx 160] during or after races. The racing authorities challenge this and present their information in a different way e.g. 4 equine fatalities per 1,000 runners.

However, it is getting better and has really improved over the last 5-10 years.

I love watching them in full flight. Man and horse pitting themselves against each other and the course. I think the Grand National is 'heroic' and it makes the hairs on the back of neck stand up.

The British Horse Racing Authority now have several successful schemes for selling, re-training and re-locating retired/injured race horses. They also assess potential new owners i.e. those from outside the racing community to make sure that they have the facilities, ability and competence to handle the horse. It is getting better all the time."

I'm aware of that and it is getting better but other than retiring as field companions there are still many issues with unscrupulous trading , but improving it is .

"I'm aware of that and it is getting better but other than retiring as field companions there are still many issues with unscrupulous trading , but improving it is"

Aye. The BHA's own figures show a significant percentage in the 'not known' column regarding horses that have finished racing or didn't make the grade. There are more options for National Hunt horses I think. Point to Point, hunting, amateur bumpers etc. But you're right. There's still a lot of 'unknown' stuff that goes on I'm sure.

""I'm aware of that and it is getting better but other than retiring as field companions there are still many issues with unscrupulous trading , but improving it is"

Aye. The BHA's own figures show a significant percentage in the 'not known' column regarding horses that have finished racing or didn't make the grade. There are more options for National Hunt horses I think. Point to Point, hunting, amateur bumpers etc. But you're right. There's still a lot of 'unknown' stuff that goes on I'm sure."

A friend of mine paid £2000 for a thoroughbred a few years back for her daughter to move onto from ponies , after a few heartstopping episodes we took him on and after a bit of research and training with some expet help he was rideable but only for the very experienced . It transpired he'd been retired from racing due to being deemed unpredictable to a so called charity then sold when the 'charity' folded , luckily for him and the girl in question it ended well but a lot dont , like weve agreed it is getting lessened a large reason being datatagging and horse passports to trace and keep track of horses .

""I'm aware of that and it is getting better but other than retiring as field companions there are still many issues with unscrupulous trading , but improving it is"

Aye. The BHA's own figures show a significant percentage in the 'not known' column regarding horses that have finished racing or didn't make the grade. There are more options for National Hunt horses I think. Point to Point, hunting, amateur bumpers etc. But you're right. There's still a lot of 'unknown' stuff that goes on I'm sure.

A friend of mine paid £2000 for a thoroughbred a few years back for her daughter to move onto from ponies , after a few heartstopping episodes we took him on and after a bit of research and training with some expet help he was rideable but only for the very experienced . It transpired he'd been retired from racing due to being deemed unpredictable to a so called charity then sold when the 'charity' folded , luckily for him and the girl in question it ended well but a lot dont , like weve agreed it is getting lessened a large reason being datatagging and horse passports to trace and keep track of horses ."

Christ. Like giving a Ferrari to a 17 year old lad who'd just passed his test. Glad it turned out well

» Add a new message to this topic